Prequel - Arch Enemies

Love Him for Me

The cool breeze was a decent start to the first practical lesson of the third year during the semester. Three classes stood orderly in the field, every student chest out with hands behind their back as their instructor communicated his expectation of the year.

Eric stood in line with his class, trying to pay no attention to the bulky figure of Dongwan some distance diagonally in front of him. It was as if the other man was his kryptonite, always throwing Eric into an indecipherable mess just by his mere presence.

“Dongwan will show you a demonstration.” The instructor said. Dongwan moved out of the line and walked to the front. It was too palpable to Eric when the students along the corridor of the blocks surrounding them all stopped to watch the man. It annoyed him to no end his dorm mate’s popularity in school.

“I’ll spar him.”

Every pair of flabbergasted eyes turned to the man who said that.

Eric swallowed uncomfortably at the attention, but still separated himself from the orderly line and made his way forward. He exchanged flitting glance with Dongwan’s astounded eyes before shifting his gaze squarely to the instructor. “I can demonstrate with him.”

The instructor's surprise and disbelief was unmistakable. No one in school was used to the idea of any student wanting to take on Dongwan, unless it was in private and the purpose for advice and tips from the man. The flame in Eric ignited further reading that expression. “Hand-to-hand combat, best of three.”

***

Junjin stared at his text book, trying to decipher the meaning behind the words and at the same time, fighting the sleeping spell the book was trying to cast on him.

"Someone is challenging Dongwan to hand-to-hand combat!" The sudden shout caused an immediate outburst in the library. No matter males or females, librarians or students, all rushed out and lined themselves along the corridor, trying to get a good view of the parade square where Dongwan's class was held.

Junjin cocked his eyebrows amusingly. The thick textbook shut with a thud as Junjin strolled to spectate the undreamed-of event. Despite everyone’s eagerness to witness the duel, the human crowd unquestioningly made a path for Junjin. Junjin nodded politely, thanking the people that made way for him. If anyone has any rights to anything about Dongwan, it was clear to everyone on Junjin's priority. Dongwan and Junjin had known each other since both were still at single digit age, and they remained close friends ever since.

Junjin looked down as he reached the railings. As usual, Dongwan who always acted as co-instructor stood at the front with the class instructor. Another person stood with them this time. Junjin strained his eyes at the third person…and his jaw dropped.

Wasn’t that Eric hyung?! His new dorm mate did all kind of nonsensical pranks with him in the dorm. They sprayed ketchup all over Minwoo when he walked out of the shower; they hid in corners waiting for unsuspecting victims to scare them, but now Eric wore an unfamiliar stolid expression Junjin had never seen before. Now come to think of it, Junjin realised Dongwan and Eric haven’t really had any interactions due to Dongwan’s busy schedule.

“It’s unlike hyung to be doing this. He hates being in the spotlight.” A measured voice with soothing effect came from beside him, slightly louder than the noisy cheering crowd around them. Junjin turned over casually, but when he saw who it was, his heart gave a violent jerk.

“Why are you here?” Junjin blurted nervously without thinking.

Andy narrowed his eyes. “I’ve been here the whole time, even before you came over and stood beside me.” He replied. In the absence of the hyung, Junjin always behaved as if Andy was a terrifying apparition. Given that both of them were roommates, that happened often enough to bother Andy in the short one week span since the brothers shifted into the dorm.

“Is…is that so…” Junjin answered uncomfortably. “I…I’ll get going first.” The man tried his best to look as minute as possible (which was quite unsuccessful given his height) and hastily disappeared into the crowd, leaving a perplex Andy behind.

Andy sighed, racking his brain trying to remember if he ever did anything to Junjin; anything that could make the man so terrified of him. The cheering of the crowd prompted Andy to turn back to the parade square. Dongwan had just pinned his older brother to the ground, winning the first match.

***

Eric panted as he was yet again being slammed into the ground, the movement of his hands and legs restricted by how Dongwan held him. He stopped struggling after a while, knowing that he had lost. Two consecutive matches.

“Good game,” Dongwan stood up and extended his hand to help Eric. Eric’s heart thumped as he observed wrinkles creasing at the end of Dongwan’s eyes when the man smiled at him. It was…charming. At such proximity, Dongwan was more perfect than he had imagined. Despite that, he rolled his eyes away and he pushed himself up without taking Dongwan’s hand. The tall man walked back to his position in the line without giving Dongwan as much as a second glance.

Eric was mad with himself. He always avoided attention. This time he did the foolish act of challenging the legend in an attempt to prove he own worthiness. In the end, he attracted what he always evaded, and he failed to prove anything else.

Kim Dongwan. Eric thought sadly. Will there ever be a day he is worthy enough just to be mentioned in the man’s presence? Why did it even bother him so much wanting to receive Dongwan’s recognition?

Dongwan smiled awkwardly as he kept his outstretched hand that Eric ignored. He turned to face the class.

“Erm…so…” The student chosen as a co-instructor for every of his class paused to recollect his thought from the awkward situation. “You can start training now.” Dongwan concluded ineptly. He hadn’t had the time to interact with Eric and Andy in the past week due to his busy schedule but he heard some bits about the two men from Minwoo and Junjin. Apparently his first real interaction with the older of the two was not what he had imagined from Minwoo’s and Junjin’s description of the man.

Dongwan let his eyes find Eric when the class started their training. He won Eric earlier because he was more experienced than the new cadet, but he could tell Eric’s immeasurable potential from the sparring. He studied the man when his eyes landed on him. Eric was tall, almost as tall as Junjin. The man has handsome and sharp features on his face that emanated an aristocracy grace. The corners of Dongwan’s lips lifted. Life in the police academy was finally going to be more interesting.

Over the weeks, as Dongwan had predicted, Eric became a new sensation in the police academy. His achievements were one after another. And due to his audacious feat in challenging Dongwan during their first practical lesson, Eric was termed as the arch enemy of Dongwan; and this relationship will follow the two men for a few more years to come……

If you want to know if Dongwan already knows Eric's feeling at this point, the answer is NO. He just see Eric as a worthy opponent.

And although they are not the focus in the prequel, Ricjin and Ricmin were very close friends, until the tragedy happened. Just thought I'd say this here because these 2 r/s are quite neglected in the story and I feel bad for Minwoo being a side kick here...lol.