Prequel - Promises

Love Him for Me

I finally got my new laptop!!! =) Hope you like this new chapter! No proof-reading again so pardon me for any errors.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Good luck!” the pomposity in Dongwan's voice amused Eric. He stuffed his feet into his shoes, wondering where did Dongwan's smugness came from when he had just whooped his boyfriend's in their last combat class. He was leaving for a project meeting with Minwoo for their final assignment which they will ultimately be competing against a team led by Dongwan.

Eric raised his head to look at the beautiful man with a challenging gaze. “You too, love,” he replied with equal pomposity and provocation. “You will need it.”

Minwoo snorted, waving his hand in the air, as if dusting away the strong undercurrent of contest. “How do both of you switch between mushiness and being competitive every other second?!” Minwoo questioned. 

Eric laughed. He deliberately sent a flying kiss over Minwoo's head to Dongwan, just to irritate his friend further. Dongwan reacted just as Eric wanted, catching the kiss mid air with exaggerated happiness.

Minwoo rolled his eyes at the uncomprehensible couple. He pushed Eric out of the door after he was done with his shoelaces and let their dorm's door slammed shut.

“And the whole school just assumed you hate each other,” Minwoo sighed. 


***


Andy uncapped his bottle, at the same time, musing about the commotion along the corridor. The final exam must have ended for the graduating batch. The man took a sip of his water when someone popped into his classroom -

“DONGWAN JUST KISSED ERIC!”

Andy choked on his water and started a fit of cough. He raised his eyes to the crowed that gathered in front of his classroom.

“...during their final project......Dongwan just walked over......on the lips......”

Andy immediately stood up and exited the classroom, not wasting time for the eager crowd to recover from shock and remember his identity and existence. Once outside, he sprinted toward where Eric and Dongwan should be at.

“Andy!” It was Junjin that called him. His friend came beside him, “you have heard about the kiss too?”

Subconsciously, Andy knew something was off, but his mind was too preoccupied with Dongwan and Eric to exactly pinpoint what was wrong about Junjin talking to him. He replied his friend, “I want to find them before everyone starts haunting me when they remember Eric is my brother and I am staying with the two of them.”

“Not so lucky here. It's already etched in everyone's mind how close I am with Dongwan hyung. I am practically fleeing from a horde now.” 

They turned at a corner when Andy spotted Minwoo at the field. He nudged for Junjin to follow him.

“Hyung!”

Minwoo turned over, “the whole school must have been in real chaos for both of you to actually come together –” So that was what was wrong. “- It isn't that bad right, to –”

“Hyung, what exactly happened?” Andy interrupted when he saw his closet friend beginning to fluster. 

“Just like you probably heard. They kissed in front of everyone.”

“But how did it happen?”

“We were in shocked when our team lost to Dongwan's.” Minwoo sighed. He was full of confidence when his team reviewed Eric's strategy. But just like real life crime solving, mind games are often as important as (if not more) strategy. Now, Minwoo finally realised how well Dongwan understands Eric. Dongwan's team approached everything from system hacking to combat in unorthodox methods that were designed just for the strategy Eric came up with.

“Long story short, when my team was in a daze, Dongwan just walked over and kissed Eric in front of everyone.” Minwoo raised his head to Andy before adding "without warning..."

“Just that?” Junjin asked innocently after he recovered. He looked around, “where are they now?”

“Just that?! You think it isn't enough shock to the whole school? They are not just any couple, Jin.” Minwoo's frustration became obvious. “They ran away to their own sweet date before anyone could react. Now everyone is after me to get more details.”

Andy pursed his lips, runminating. “We better skip the next classes,” he concluded. There would be nothing but interrogation by everyone if they continued with their lesson for the day. Might as well get themselves informed before facing the crowd. “Let's go and find them.”


******


Eric inhaled, letting fresh air filled his lungs as his eyes feast upon the luscious greenery around him. He turned to look at Dongwan who was doing the same.

“This is your idea of a date to celebrate the end of our last exam? Making me hike 2 hours up a hill.” Eric asked Dongwan, trying not to show how much he was enjoying the mountain.

“Nah...this is me showing off to the world that you are mine, and the world celebrating with me.”

Eric sniggered at his boyfriend's mushy comment and turned back, taking pleasure in the scenery. From his peripheral view, he saw Dongwan taking a step nearer to the edge and raising both his hands. He thought Dongwan was just enjoying the fresh air, but...

“ERIC MUN! I LOVE YOU!” Dongwan shouted. “I PROMISE TO LOVE YOU FOREVER! ERIC MUN!” 

Eric's palm quickly flew up to cover Dongwan's mouth. He looked around frantically, feeling embarrassed as other hikers turned over to look at them. “Why did you do that for?” He grumbled at the laughing Dongwan after the hikers left.

“I already told you. Showing off to the world,” Dongwan chortled. He sat on the green grass and pulled Eric to sit beside him.

“You know the thing that Minwoo suggested?” Eric asked suddenly. “Us renting an apartment and living together after we graduate?”

Dongwan nodded. He liked Minwoo's idea.

“How about we do that for two years, then just you, me and Andy live together after he graduates?”

Dongwan kept silent for a bit. He knew Eric was concern about Junjin and Andy, but just like Andy is Eric's precious brother, Junjin is his too. “How about we decide again after Andy graduates?” he asked. 

“But Minwoo is already looking at a 5 years rent,” Eric replied desparately. He thought Dongwan will agree to his plan, but Dongwan's silence caused his heart to dip. “You want to stay with Junjin,” he muttered quietly, realising why his boyfriend was silent. He never doubted Dongwan's love for him, but to say the closeness between Dongwan and Junjin did not bother him would be a blatant lie.

“He is like a brother to me,” Dongwan replied quickly, sensing Eric's unhappiness. “I promise his dad to take care of him when he enrolled to the academy.”

I promised my dad to take care of Junjin...even if they don't know who I really am...

Dongwan pushed away the thought about his family and gave Eric's hand a squeeze. “You've got nothing to worry about.” He made Eric looked his eyes, saying his next words with utmost sincerity, “you are the most important person in my life. Now, and forever.”

Eric turned away shyly, breaking their eye contact. “I never knew you would be so mushy when I fell in love,” he chuckled. "If it is a promise (to Junjin's dad), you have to keep it." He held Dongwan's hand tightly, choosing to trust the man. 

“You being my most important person is a promise too. It doesn't matter if I am mushy, as long as I meant every of my word,” Dongwan said. "We will let Junjin and Andy sort it out between themselves, ok? Both of them are good kids, they will make up one day.”


***


“You guys are finally back,” Minwoo turned to the clock. It's already 10pm. “Thanks for the bomb that you dropped on me in school.” He threw peanuts shell in his hands in the direction of the couple that just stepped in, letting them scattered on the floor.

“Stop doing that! You will not pick them up!” Eric complained.

“Of course I won't. You are supposed to do it! You owe me that much for what you did today!” Minwoo retorted. He quickly sat up from the couch preparing to wrestle when Eric made a beeline for him.

Andy laughed. He stood up and habitually moved to clean the mess the floor. Dongwan moved over to help him.

"Hyung, are you two going to explain what is going on to the school?" Andy asked. If Eric and Dongwan didn't do that, Junjin and him will be the quarry of the the entire school population since the hyungs would be graduating in a week.

"Don't wrorry, we will," Dongwan laughed. "Eric won't forgive me if you are going to suffer for 2 years because of my action."

Andy turned to the two wrestling hyung on the couch, his chest feeling the warmth from his brother's love. “Hyung, I am counting on you to help me take care of him for the next 2 years.” 

“If you trust me enough, I'll take care of him until the end of time.”

Andy turned and scrutinised the man beside him. “Cheesy,” he laughed. “But I do trust you on that.”

 

I kept my promises. All I need, was a little more trust from you. But I understand, why you did not......

"Is it because of him?" He pointed to Junjin, his eyes continue staring into Dongwan's. "Is it because of him that you refuse to leave with me?"

"Kim Dongwan. You chose him over me today. We are over the moment you decide to betray Andy's trust" (Chapter 13)

“If I am still your most important person, why didn’t you leave with me?” He asks aloud in agony. (Chapter 11)

"I don’t know how I should start. For the past 10 minutes, I can only stare at your name that I wrote, asking myself how things became the way it is between us.

Hyesung marched over and told me Junjin is your brother. Your blood related brother. Why didn’t you tell me? I keep asking myself over and over again why you never let me know. I had been living the past 5 years believing that you betrayed me, believing that after Andy left, I am all alone." (Chapter 18)