IX.

A Beautiful Mistake

Glimpses of the Past

 

"Ja-Jagikya!" Yoona opened the door and gave a wide smile. "Oh... Gy-Gyuri unnie..."

 

"Yoona..." Gyuri gave her an apologetic smile. "Can I come in?"

 

"Oh sure..." Yoona gave a weak smile as she let her in to the house. "Do you need a drink, Unnie?"

 

"Nopes. I'm fine..." Gyuri took a seat on the couch as she wringed her hands nervously, biting her lips.

 

"Unnie... Is Ji-Ji Yong Oppa busy?" Yoona too, sat down on the couch that was opposite her.

 

"Y-Yeahs... He had been caught up with some issues...." Gyuri trailed off and an awkward silence loomed over them. "Actually... I came to be a messenger for him..." After much struggle, Gyuri finally opened again.

 

"J-Jeongmal?!!" Yoona brightened up as she held Gyuri's hands excitedly, but her face fell when she saw her giving her a look of sympathy. "W-What is his decision...."

 

"I'm sor-sorry Yoona... Really..."

 

"And his decision is?"

 

"H-He wants you to ab-abort the baby..." Gyuri let out an almost inaudible whisper.

 

 

Yoona stared at her and blinked. She couldn't process what she had heard. So, after a week of painful wait, all she got was this answer? Ab-Abort the baby? She didn't even want to think about it. How could he bear to kill his own flesh and blood! How-How could he be so heartless?! Yoona's heart lurched. All these months of love, affection and trust were all futile. They couldn't even compared to his fear of marriage! What's the point of continuing this relationship then?

 

 

"H-H-He doesn't have anything on now, does he? He just want to avoid me... He doesn't want to see me anymore..." It was only then, did she realise that her face were now bathed in tears.

 

"I-I... H-He... Yeahs... I'm sorry Yoona...He couldn't accept this fact. But still, he wished the best for you.. This you must know..."

 

"Lies! Please tell him to stop telling lies! If he wished the best for me, he would have come here instead of asking you to be here! Please tell him that I would continue to keep this baby. With him around or not. I don't need his help. If he is that cruel to kill his own child, then we have nothing more else to talk." Yoona croaked.

 

"Yoona ah! You're still young! Why keep a son with you when you can still pursue your own happiness! Don't be foolish!" Gyuri became flustered upon hearing that she was keeping the baby and started to shout.

 

"That's my decision! No one can separate me from my child! Never!" Yoona shouted in tears as she dashed out of the house.

 

"YOONA!!" Gyuri shouted as she chased after her.

 

It was pouring outside but Yoona continued to ran on. She didn't know what to do, except to run, run away from those who wanted to separate her and her child. She would not let anyone harm it. Even if Ji Yong didn't want it, she wanted it. She wanted him to come to this world safely, to love and be loved. To watch him grow up healthily, graduate from a prestigious university, get a decent job and finally, settling down to have a family of his own. And now, there's people telling her that this is impossible?! She would not let this down. She would fight on, as long as it's for the sake of this child.

 

She was soaked by the rain and her legs were beginning to feel tired. Her stomach was hurting and she felt nauseaous. However, she pressed on. She reached a traffic junction and was waiting to cross the road, where the opposite was a cafeteria. She wanted to get to the cafeteria fast. She could get a shelter there and also to phone Seungri to ask him to fetch her back. Upon seeing that there was no incoming vehicles, she was anxious that Gyuri would chase up and hence, decided to cross the road.

 

A huge mistake.

 

She was blinded by a pair of strong headlamps and the screeching of brakes could be heard. Her legs turned wobbly and she fell on the road, right in front of a car.

 

She heard the sounds of car door opening and the rushing of footsteps. Her instincts were to cluch on to her stomach. She must protect her baby. Moments later, she felt that someone's arms were around her neck and a worried voice rang in her ear.

 

"Miss, are you alrights?" Her eyes opened a little, only to see a young-dashing man talking to her, brows furrowed. Before she could reply, the world before her plunged into darkness....

 

 

Everything became clear to her...

 

 

Yoona returned home after the meeting with Gyuri. By the time she dragged herself back to the room, her tears had long dried up, leaving only evident tearstains on her face. Just when she thought things couldn't get any worst, she heard a shout of excitement from the room.

 

"Surprise! I've decided to bring forward the meeting and took an earlier flight back to Seoul so that I can accompany you! Happy 3rd month anniversary, my dear!" Yunho cheered as he ran towards her, hugging her tightly.

 

 

Right. So it had been 3 months since they were married, 3 years since they knew each other. So he had been lying to her for three full years. Yoona stiffened. She didn't like the hug, neither did she detest it. She felt absolutely nothing. He wasn't even worth her hatred.

 

"What happen Yoong? Why is your eyes so red and swollen? Had you been crying?" Yunho broke away from the hug after receiving no response from her.

 

"I met Gyuri today..." Yoona removed his hand away from her face and stood up, walking away from him, with her back facing him. Just one last chance she thought. As long as he was willing to admit his mistakes, there would still be turning back.

 

"Mwuh? Isn't she in America already?"

 

"She came back for a vacation... With her husband."

 

"O-Oh! She is married already? That's something nice to hear. I'm glad that relationship turns out well for her." Yunho beamed, oblivious to the fact that Yoona was testing him all along. "But why are you crying?"

 

"You didn't know that she is married? She had been married for more than a year already." Yoona ignored his question and threw him another question as she looked into his eyes.

 

"I swear I'm clueless about this fact. If I had known, I wouldn't have meet her privately two months ago. I would have asked her husband along too." Yunho kept his composure as he took her hands into his. "What did she tell you Yoong?"

 

"What do you think she could have told me?" Her eyes were tired and expressionless.

 

"Don't believe whatever she had said. She's a liar." Yunho continued to lie through his teeth.

 

"I don't believe at first too. But now, I believe. Everything that she had said." Yoona pulled her hand away but kept her gaze on him.

 

"W-What happen Yoong? At least tell me what she had told you. Give me a chance to explain..." Yunho held her hands again.

 

"Give you a chance to tell me more lies you mean?" Yoona snapped. "Let go of my hands. Now." Her voice was now dead and monotonous. Yunho released it immediately. "I can't believe you're doing this to me..."

 

"What did she tell you!" Yunho raised his voice in the midst of anxiety. An utterly big mistake.

 

"You were responsible for killing my child! You knew how much I loved him!" Yoona shouted back. "Why... Why... must you stab a knife into my heart..." Tears began to trickle down her face once again.

 

"I-I...I... That wasn't what I wanted Yoona... It's... It's just... Let me explain to you..." Yunho stepped forward, wanting to touch Yoona, feeling a sense of remorse.

 

"I don't know when are you telling the truth or when are you lying anymore..." Yoona flinched and took a step back. 

 

"Yoong... Please..." Yunho, looked at her with a pair of pleading eyes as he stretched his hands out slowly towards her face.

 

"I...I don't know!" Yoona slapped his hands away and ran out of the room, face bathed in tears.

 

 

Yunho watched Yoona ran out with his very own eyes. He sighed as his legs began to give way, causing him to slump to the floor. Tears started to escape from his eyes as he threw his head back against the mattress and let out a deep growl....

 

 

/Yubbosaeyo?/

 

/Oppa, it's me.../

 

/Mwuh? Why are you calling me at such an hour? Isn't there midnight already?/

 

/I need someone to talk to... I'm feeling ver-very horrible.../

 

/Gosh. Are you alrights? I'm waiting to board the plane to America now. Having a meeting there. I'll see you once I landed okays? Be strong./

 

/N-Neh..../

 

 

Yunho hung up the call, feeling a pang of anxiety. Ever since they broke up, Gyuri had rarely contacted him. He thought that perhaps she was trying to move on. Yunho's mother had been trying all her means to break them apart, given that they were of different social status and finally, she succeeded. They accepted that the fact that they weren't meant to be. It was a peaceful breakup. Fate was really playing a trick on them. Yunho found out that Gyuri met Ji Yong coincidentally in America and they fell in love. Though it broke his heart, Yunho still wished the best for them. He hoped that Ji Yong could take good care of her, give her the love that he couldn't give.

 

However, just four months ago, he received a phone call from Gyuri, only to hear her crying over the other end of the phone. She and Ji Yong had broken up, remaining as friends. Yunho could remember talking on the phone with her hours after hours, soothing her, telling her that everything would be fine. He felt like confronting Ji Yong, giving him a punch on the face even, but decided not to. Love wasn't something that could be forced.

 

Things seemed to have calmed down for Gyuri as she began to accept the fact that Ji Yong had moved on and she should too. Yunho received this piece good news from her over the phone and was relieved. Ever since that phone call, he hadn't hear from her anymore. It was as though she had vanished from his life. It was only during certain ocassions that he received an email from her. Hence, he wondered what could have made her called him once again. It must be something grave.

 

 

"Oppa! It feels so good to see you again!" The moment Gyuri threw her arms around him, Yunho knew that he hadn't forget about her. Despite 4 months of her absence, he hadn't forget about their love. He still love her...

 

"Hey..." Yunho smiled as he hugged her back. He missed this hug so much.

 

"Oppa, I'm sorry to disturb you at such an hour yesterday..." Gyuri wiped her tears away as they sat down at the cafe.

 

"Oh. It's alrights. I'm waiting for the flight anyway. So, what's the matter?"Yunho took a sip of his Cappuccino before speaking.

 

"Oppa, I... I still love him... Even after these few months..."Gyuri kept her head down as she began slowly.

 

 

It took Yunho awhile to actually realise what she was talking about. He sighed and put down his cup, taking a look at her. He put his hands over hers.

 

 

"It's inevitable that the first few months would hurt. But as times passed, wounds will heal..." Yunho gave her an encouraging smile as he patted her hands gently. That was what happened to him too...

 

"B-But, I-I really can't Oppa..." Tears started to fill her eyes again. "I don't want to... Not when his relationship with his girlfriend is unstable now..."

 

"Mwuh? What happen to Ji and his girlfriend?"

 

"His girlfriend... His girlfriend is... is pregnant..." Gyuri emphasised on the word 'pregnant'. "You know how he is like... He's a legless bird. He feared responsibility."

 

 

Yunho froze when he heard the word 'pregnant'. This wasn't a matter about the both of them anymore. It now involved a life. An unborn child. How on earth was he to get involved in this matter?

 

 

"So, what is Ji planning to do?"

 

"I don't know... The girl agreed to give him some time to think things through. I had been observing him these few days and he seemed really vexed. I could tell that he is beginning to waver... So, I've got to do something, Oppa... This is my only chance..." Gyuri looked him into the eyes as she held his hands tightly.

 

 

Yunho found it hard to swallow his saliva. This action of hers wasn't an act of affection. It was a plead. A request. He knew he couldn't reject her. He didn't have the intention and neither did he had the heart to reject her. He still loved her, and her happiness, was his utmost priority. Who cares about others? As long as she is blissful, as long as she is happy, he would do anything.

 

 

"Do you know this girl?" Yunho spoke up after a long silent.

 

"Yeahs..."

 

"Gyuri, are you sure you would do anything?"

 

"Yes. Just to get him back... I don't want to just be his friend and collegue..."

 

"Ok... If that's the case... Go confront the girl."

 

"For?"

 

"Tell her that Ji Yong doesn't want the baby..." Yunho's eyes became dark as his tone became low and flat.

 

 

"Do you think that I've done the right thing?" Gyuri watched Yoona ran out of the mansion with tears in the eyes.

 

"Babe, you did all you could have done... Quit blaming yourself." Jay put his hand over hers, giving her a gentle pat.

 

"Really? I really hope the best for her...." Gyuri sighed and rested her head on his shoulders, teary-eyed.

 

 

Gyuri knew that Yoona would be upset upon receiving her call but she knew she would turn up nonetheless. She is still the kind-hearted Im Yoona. The moment she met her once again, she knew that she was still the same old Im Yoona. Nothing much had changed about her. This caused her to feel even more guilty. It was time for her to know the truth. It was time for her to atone her mistakes. 

 

 

"What is it that you want to tell me?" She watched her storming into the cafeteria, with a look of frustration plastered across her face.

 

"Do you want to have a drink first?" She kept her cool though. Yoona had the each and every right to be angry at her.

 

"I didn't thought of staying for long." Yoona sat opposite her, with a pair of cold eyes. She wondered briefly what had happened to the pair of large doe eyes that always seemed to sparkle. Does she still hate her so much?

 

"Alrights... I shall go straight to the point then. You know, I'm Ji Yong's ex-girlfriend... And actually, before that, I was with Yunho Oppa... It just that things didn't work out the way we wanted them to be and hence, we were being separated..." Gyuri held her purse tight for support, voice becoming tauted.

 

"All these I had known, Yunho Oppa had told me. What are you driving at seriously?" Yoona sounded impatient and was demanding an answer from her.

 

"But there's more to it...."

 

"What? That you still love him and wanted him back?" Yoona snapped. "I saw you guys in the cafeteria two months back. You wanted him back, don't you?"

 

 

Gyuri was taken aback by her blunt reply. So THIS explained why she had so much hatred in her eyes! She had totally mistaken the idea! Or she was being brainwashed. Gyuri could feel the anger rising in her. To think that she was deciding whether or not to break up her and Yunho. Guess like there wasn't anything to hold her back anymore. Not when Yunho was telling lies after lies.

 

 

"Oh. So this was what HE told you?" Gyuri smirked and shook her head in disbelief. "Man, I can't believe this..."

 

"What else was there more to it? The fact is right in front of my eyes. If you didn't have feelings for him, you wouldn't have asked me out today."

 

"Gosh. I'm shocked. He's such a foolproof liar. Gyuri continued. "Look, this is not what you're thinking. Or what he had told you."

 

"Then?"

 

"I'm married, Yoona. 2 years ago." Gyuri sighed as she held her arms up, revealing the sparkling diamond ring that was on her ring finger. This was going to be tougher than she had imagined.

 

 

Yoona remained silent. She was surprised. Shocked rather. Even if she was telling lies, getting married for 2 years is a little too exaggerated.But she shook off her doubts, she must be telling lies. "So?"

 

 

"So, I couldn't be asking him out to patch things up with him. It's ridiculous." Gyuri scoffed. "I called him out to talk things out with him."

 

"And that is?"

 

"I wanted him to tell you the truth."

 

"W-What truth?" Yoona's heartbeat began to accelerate. What truth was Yunho hiding from her again?

 

"It's about your.... baby..." Gyuri trailed off as she saw Yoona's expression stiffened immediately at the mention of baby.

 

"It's already the past. Why bother bringing up again? Me and Ji Yong are the past. We broke up because of his irresponsibility. And the connection between me and him was lost when the baby was gone too... Forever..." Yoona bit her lips and tried to stop the quiver in her voice. Even after so many years, she still couldn't forget the fact that her baby was gone. Forever....

 

"It's not what you had thought all these while, Yoona...." Despite receiving no replies from her, Gyuri continued. "This plan, was taught by... Jung Yunho..."

 

 

The last sentence rung in her head. Yunho? What had Yunho got to do with her miscarriage? Even if he had anything to do with it, it's all positive things! He was the one who sent her to the hospital! He was the one who listened to her troubles during her despair times! This was how she got to know him. The kind-hearted and dashing young man. And now, Gyuri is telling her all the perceptions she had for Yunho, is all wrong? Is a grave mistake?

 

 

"Quit lying, Gyuri-sshi...." She shook her head in disbelief and snorted. However, upon seeing Gyuri's straight expression, she began to panic. "B-But I don't even know him back then! He didn't even know me and Ji Yong's relationship! An-And he was the one who saved me from the car accident!"

 

"Yes. He doesn't know it at first. He knew it when you guys started going out."  Gyuri's tone started to become dark. "I chased after you that night... I saw you.. I saw you being hit and I was shocked that the guy who knocked you down, was him... But I chose to stay hidden. I was scared. I was so scared that I was trembling. I stayed there till I saw him carry you into his car and drove off..."

 

"No... This couldn't be... He-He doesn't know anything about me and Ji Yong's past!"

 

"He knows it all! The moment you and him returned to Korea and started dating, I received an email from him. Talk about coincident. I literally froze when I saw your name being mentioned. I thought it was just the name similiarity. It turned out that, the photo attached  was none other than you... I wish it was fake too... But Yoona, this is nothing but the truth..."

 

"T-This couldn't be...." Yoona shook her head repeatedly as tears began to fall.

 

"Those days when you were in the hospital, I told Ji Yong that you had returned to Korea... In a midst of anger, you decided to abort the baby, cutting all ties with him... He did return to where you had stayed, but by then, you were already gone... This was when I realised, despite chasing you off, I wasn't happy at all. He didn't return to my side even though you're gone. He-He was crushed.... Ever since you left, his world became nothing but work. Work and work. Photography became a work for him. No longer a leisure and fun thing... I never saw his eyes sparkle anymore. Nor his geniune smile. I was wrong. Utterly wrong... I tried to make up the mistake by telling Yunho Oppa about this. About your past and you being the girl that I was talking about..."

 

"And?"

 

"He told me he would tell you... But weeks after weeks, I had never heard from him. He even changed his number and email address just to avoid me... It wasn't until the day before your marriage, did I know that he had been lying to me all these while..." Gyuri sighed. "Ji Yong told me that he was returning to Korea for good. It's not like he didn't come back to Korea before, but this time, he was staying permanently. I could tell that something was wrong with him and demanded the truth. So, he showed me the email that Yunho Oppa had sent him, and in it, attached a wedding photo of you and him..." Gyuri kept her eyes on the table and gave a weak smile. "I had never seen him so heartbroken before... Despite that, he kept his smile and told me that it's about time you have your own happiness. You have the right and you had taught him to be brave. He is going to be brave to face his past..."

 

 

Yoona didn't know how to react. These words seemed too real to be a lie. Everything seemed... seemed so organised... It couldn't be a lie. This meant that, Yunho was lying... He was the one who lied to her all along. She finally realised what Ji Yong meant the other night. Taking revenge... Choosing to take it away... He thought she had aborted the baby! The both of them were being played by fate. Perhaps, it's not even fate! It's by Yunho and Gyuri! Yoona felt betrayed and furious. Yet, at the same time, she was depressed and thankful. She was thankful for Gyuri to tell her the truth... Even though, it might jolly well be a few years late...

 

 

"Yoona ah, think about it. About his actions. About his words. I didn't know if they were lies or not, but certainy, him lying to you about this, is the truth. Whether you believe it or not... I know it's evil of me to bring this matter up now, when you guys had already gotten married for 3 months. But still, I felt that I needed to tell you. The images of you believing him so much made me felt so sick for the past few months... I gave him a chance the other time to explain things to you and seek your forgiveness but I can't believe he got the guts to tell you that I still love him and wanted him back." Gyuri had her hands over hers, holding it firmly as she finally looked into her eyes. "You deserved to know all these..."

 

"You're nuts! Why must I believe you! Y-Yunho Oppa is the only person who treated me right! He was the one who was with me through my darkest moment! H-He promised that he wouldn't hide things from me! Y-You must be lying!! STOP YOUR LIES, ! I'm not going to...." Instead of thanking her, Yoona pulled her hands away and stood up, shouting back at Gyuri, tears flowing down. It was too much for her to bear. The one whom she thought had loved her the most, was now the one who hurt her the most...

 

 

Suddenly, a sting was felt on her cheek, causing her to fall silent.

 

 

"Don't you dare to say such things about her!" A loud and strong voice was heard. "If it wasn't her, you're still in your own dreamland, thinking that the guy loves you!"

 

"Jay!" Gyuri was horrified. She had specifically asked Jay to not interfere in this issue but he still chose to follow her in the end. "Omo... Yoona ah! Gwenchana? Mianhae..." She went forward to carcass her face, inspecting the now-red cheek. 

 

"I'm not going to just stand and watch people hurt you! Look at her! She's practically brainwashed! She couldn't even differentiate right from wrong!" Jay snapped. "Look, if you don't believe her, I AM her husband. Jay Park. You can go to LA to check our marriage registration. We got married 2 years ago and Ji Yong was the one who helped us got together. She had been in guilt all these years, couldn't eat nor sleep well. All she thought of, was you!" Upon seeing Yoona became lost for words and sat down, Jay continued to scold her.

 

"Yoona, please... I'm not trying to separate you and him..." Gyuri sighed and wrapped her arms around her. "It's just... It's just I became a mother myself a month ago too... And I finally realised how you felt back then... About the strong need to protect your baby... I made a really huge mistake and I hope, I could make up for it... So, I can tell my child proudly that, his mother is a good mother too..." Gyuri let out a weak grin as her hands hovered to her stomach and landed there, as she it gently. "I'm not expecting you to divorce with him just because of this issue. Perhaps, he really love you too much to lose you... But, I guess, you have the right to know this... I believed that you want to know what actually happen to your child and why did things ended up so abruptly between you and Ji Yong...."

 

 

Yoona remained silent as truth began to sink into her and finally, she crumbled into Gyuri's arms. Gyuri softened and rubbed her back, soothing her. Both girls cried as they hugged each other tightly. The hatred she had for Gyuri, the hatred she had for Ji Yong all these years, were all washed away by these tears...

 

 

"Un-Unnie, does Ji Yong knows about this?" After a long while, they finally broke apart.

 

"He does... A month ago." Gyuri gave her a smile as she wiped away her tears.

 

 

Yoona didn't know why she ended up being here. She was walking aimlessly and her legs just decided to bring her here. She held her head up, looking at the tall building. It had been two months since she last stepped in, but everything seemed to be the same... The structure,the design.. Without hesitation, Yoona's legs decided for her, walking into the building and her finger pressed the button on the elevator. The elevator seemed to move at lightning speed and without a minute, it landed on the 52nd floor with a thud sound.

 

 

"O-Oh! Yoona-sshi!!" The pleasant loud voice that she missed it for two full months rang in her ears again and she felt an affectionate hug. "What brings you here!"

 

"Oh. Daesung-sshi...." Yoona smiled and returned the hug. It was these kind of hugs that she needed now. No pretendence, only pure and true feelings. "Er... Right! I'm here to get my comission! It had been two months and I just realised that I'm not being paid." Yoona let out a nervous chuckle as she touched her hair. She just mumbled any excuse that was in her head.

 

"Oh! My forgetful boss forgets to pay you? Aishh~ I'll inform him! He i-isn't around now though..." Daesung seemed to be wanting to say something, but dismissed the thought.

 

"Then, I'll wait for him here." Yoona was adamant. She was going to wait for him to appear today, no matter what.

 

"Er... Actually, he is not coming in today..."

 

"Never mind then. I'll wait for him in the office and you should give him a call to tell him about my arrival." Yoona wouldn't take no for an answer as she walked into Ji Yong's office automatically.

 

"Yoona-sshi!"

 

 

Yoona made herself comfortable as she sat on the couch. The office too, didn't have much change. Just a few more photoframes added on the wall and a minor arrangement of the furnitures. As she scanned her eyes around the room, her gaze fell on a wodden frame that was hidden at the corner of Ji Yong's desk. Being curious, she walked towards it, picking it up.

 

 

She gasped. Her hands began to tremble as she reached for the card that was lying on the table. Her fingers brushed through the cover and flipped the card open. Her heart lurched. It was indeed her signature...

 

 

"Yoona-sshi! Ji Yong said that he isn't..." Just then, Daesung came in, but cut his sentence as he saw what Yoona was holding. "Er...."

 

"Daesung-sshi, where is him now?" Yoona looked up at him, with a pair of determined eyes.