III.

A Beautiful Mistake

Stubborness Kills


"I'm home~"

 

Yoona sighed as she entered the mansion, trying to shake off the negative feeling in her after the sudden meeting with Ji Yong, which seemed to be like eternity. She knew Yunho had already got home. He had promised her that he would be returning home to keep her company as soon as he was done with his business to make up for not giving her a proper honeymoon trip, even though she had assured him that it wasn't necessary. With him around, she always felt safe. Simply because, he would always be there for her, protecting her.

 

"Yobo~"

 

Yunho was still dressed in his tuxedo as he came down from the spiral staircase, giving his wife a welcome hug. Yoona was caught off guard for a moment by the sudden call of affection, but chose to ignore the feeling. She thought that she was still in the midst of adjusting to her new identity. It was not a major problem. There was a more complicated problem waiting for her.

 

"Oppa~" Yoona softened into his embrace and called him sweetly too. She had been too used to calling him Oppa. It wasn't something that she could change overnight. "Right. Before you nagged at me for not staying at home to rest, I have something to tell you. I met Seungri just now and...."

 

"And you guys went to someone's office to talk about art exhibition, about fulfilling your dream. And that someone is none other than Ji Yong. Right?" Yunho broke away from the hug and chuckled amusingly at her, to which she replied with a raised eyebrow. "Now, before you asked me how did I know this, it was your best friend who told me. I just got off from the phone with him."

 

Yoona immediately pouted. Lee Seungri. For the entire trip back home, he had been psyching her, trying in a vain attempt to dissuade her on that crazy idea. He must had contacted Yunho to ask him for his support in his ridiculous reasonings. She didn't know that he would be that FAST. He had just dropped her off a few minutes ago!

 

"I guess that you should know what was his purpose for calling right?" Yunho looked at her expression and laughed. No one knew Lee Seungri better than Im Yoona.

 

And she was right.

 

"Aishh~ That brat. I already told him upteen times not to disturb you. Mianhae Oppa~ He is such a pain sometimes." Yoona let out a defeated sigh.

 

"He is just concerned and worried for you~ He's afraid that you will overwork yourself." Yunho smiled as he tucked her strand of hair behind her ear gently. "So, am I suppose to support his decision?"

 

"Hmmm. What do you think?" Yoona raised her brow teasingly and folded her arms across her chest.

 

"Araso araso~ This expression tells me everything. I'll call Seungri later to convince him." Yunho laughed as he pulled her in for a hug. "Just promise me that you wouldn't overwork yourself alrights? You know you can be such a workaholic. Don't make me regret my decision."

 

"Promise. Gomawoyo Oppa~" Yoona returned the hug and sighed inwardly. She too, hoped that she wouldn't regret her decision. Everything would end perfectly in two weeks time. Hopefully.

 

******

 

Yoona and Yunho had their dinner alone, given that Jessica had gone out for her date.

 

 

"First young master, second young master called in a while ago. He said that he wouldn't be coming home for dinner. He also stated that he would be busy these few weeks and coming back here was a little inconvenient for him. So, he would find his own lodging outside. He told me to send his apology to you and young missy." The servant came scurrying across the huge hallroom and conveyed the message to Yunho.

 

"Expected as always~ Araso. Noted. Gomawoyo Ajumma Kim." Yunho shook his head and gave a fruity laugh. "That's just so him. Treating this home like a hotel. Coming and going as he pleased. Noona is so gonna kill him when she knows about this."

 

 

Yoona kept silent and gave a brief smile, acknowledging her husband's words. She felt awkward. Was he avoiding her? Shouldn't she be the one? If he really wanted to avoid her, why did he still insist her on taking up this job? What exactly was going on in his mind? He was still the same old Kwon Ji Yong. That mysterious.. That unpredictable...

 

"Oppa, when would I ever get to know what's on your mind?"

 

"Whenever you're ready, my dear..."

 

 

"Yoona?" Yunho's modulated voice brought her out of her thoughts and into real life again. "Gwenchana? You had been zoning out these few days. Are you tired?"

 

"I'm fine~ Don't worry about me, Oppa. You should finish your meal quickly and get back to your documents! You still have an important meeting tomorrow rights? You must have dumped all your work today just to get home early to accompany me." Yoona perked up and patted Yunho's hand. The last thing she wanted, was for Yunho to realise anything uneccesary. It was for his well-being.

 

******

 

The night soon deepened as Yoona began her work. She sat down on the study table, hair tied up neatly into a bun and wore her pair of glasses. Minutes and hours passed by, rough sketches and papers sprawling all over the table and floor. Nothing inspiring came up from her mind. The moment she started drawing, images of the past came haunting her.

 

"Ri..Ri.. Yo-You got to... to save him!!!" She remembered vaguely that she was calling and grabbing hold of Seungri's hand tightly, refusing to let go as she pleaded in tears. The next moment, was all a total darkness to her.

 

 

"Miss Im. I'm sorry, we had done our best..." The doctor walked into her ward with a sympathetic look and shook his head apologetically. "We could only save one person at that point of time. And, the adult is always the priority..."

 

 

Yoona looked at the doctor and blinked, trying to absorb whatever was thrown to her. The cold, hard fact. She gulped and tears started to well up as she clutched on tightly to the thin fabric that covered her haggard body. She hovered her hands over her stomach and bit the insides of her cheeks. It was flat. And lifeless... Yoona looked Seungri into the eyes, eyes darkened as though searing through his heart and soul.

 

 

"Yoong... Mianhae... I wasn't given a choice in the first place... You know you're the priorty." Seungri finally sighed and held her hands tightly, eyes tired and full of worries. His shirt was blood-stained and he was too, in a distress. Nothing hurts more than seeing his best friend crumbling with his very own eyes.

 

 

Yoona froze in her spot at first, clutching on to the blanket tightly. When Seungri went forward to her, she flinched, avoiding his touch. This was when Seungri pulled her into a hug. She struggled at first, digging her fingers into his back hard and hit his back countless of times, a sign to ask him to keep away. Seungri ignored the pain and instead, tightened his embrace, calming her down. Soon, Yoona lost the energy to fight back and crumbled in his arms, crying her hearts out, endless tears streaming down, wetting his back.

 

 

"I hate you, Lee Seungri." Yoona pouted and broke away from the hug.

 

"I know." Seungri stifled a giggle. Im Yoona was always strong.

 

 

Yoona threw her head back against the chair and sighed deeply, eyes closed as she took her glasses out, rubbing the bridge of her nose. This wasn't going to be easy like what she had hoped to be. She thought she could put down the past and moved on. It had been afterall, three years. But she was wrong. The moment she thought about the concept, it reminded her the fact. The fact that she once had a life in her. The fact that she  was once a mother. She should have just heeded Seungri's advice, to give this project a miss. However, the stubborn her refused to give up without a fight.

 

"Gwenchana?" She flung her eyes opened as she heard the familiar voice and the tender touch on her shoulder. She was met by the distinctive feature of her husband, looking and smiling at her.

 

"Neh. You're done with your work?" Yoona sat up and forced a smile, tying her messy hair into a neat bun once again.

 

"Yeahs. It's already 3 in the morning, Mrs Jung~" Yunho chuckled and continued to massage her shoulder.

 

"Ahhh. Time just flies when I'm too focus on my work. Mianhae.." Yoona closed her eyes and enjoyed the shoulder massage given by her husband.

 

"Yoona ah. You sure you want to continue with this project? I know this will remind you of the past... If you feel bad rejecting Ji, I could do it on your behalf. Don't give yourself so much pressure, Yoong." Yunho held her firmly on her shoulder and looked at her with a worried expression.

 

 

Yoona met his eyes and at that instant, she thought she saw Ji Yong. She blinked and forced out a dry chuckle, looking away, wringing her hands about nervously. "Anniyo. I'm fine Oppa... I just needed some time. I need to face this sooner or later. I still want to have a family with you." When she figured out that she was ready, she turned back to face him, touching his face gently.

 

"Chinjia? Yoona ah. I don't want you to stress yourself out. It's alrights not to have the little ones at home. As long as I have you by my side, everything will be perfect." Yunho put his hand over hers, softening his gaze on her.

 

"I know. But I still want to set up a family with you. I want our kids to take after your genes. Handsome, responsible, kind-hearted..." Yoona put her finger on Yunho's lips. "Before you could retaliate, let's stop this conversation here. It's already 3. Let's get to bed. I'm deadbeat~" Yoona gave a fake yawn and stuck her tongue out playfully.

 

"Araso araso. Let's go!" Yunho chuckled and scooped her up in his arms, making their way back to their bedroom. He knew she was acting strong, but he chose to ignore it. It's better this way. She was adamant to complete this task. Just like how adamant she was when he first met her...

 

 

Yoona was running aimlessly in the torrential rain. She didn't know where to head to. She only knew that she must get out of the place. Get away from those who wanted to take her precious away. Her vision was blurred by tears and without looking, she dashed out of the road.

 

Yunho was on one of his usual business trips. He was on the way back to the hotel after having a meeting with his American client. He couldn't helped but smiled and hummed the song along with the radio that was playing away. It was a good day for him. Clinching the deal at a reasonable price. Given that this deal was cliched much earlier than he had expected, he decided to use the spare time tomorrow to look for the whereabouts of Ji Yong. Ji Yong had mentioned in his e-mail that he was in New York. He hadn't told him where was the exact location. Ji Yong didn't want anyone to find him. Let alone him. But still, he wanted to find him. To talk with him. He was his brother afterall. Even though they were half related, Yunho recalled that he and Ji Yong shared an amazing brotherhood.

 

As he thought about Ji Yong, Yunho's attention wasn't on the road for a brief moment and that paid a price. When his attention was back on the road, he saw someone running across the road and was just few metres away from his car. He was taken aback but reacted quickly as he stepped on the brake, causing the car to come to an abrupt stop. His body jerked to the front but was fortunately secured by the seatbelt. He got out of his car immediately, checking the situation out. He was shocked to see a young girl lying in front, just an inch away from his car. Looks like he didn't hit her afterall. She just got a shock. However, she was drenched and was pale and fragile, looking as though she was about to faint. Yunho wrapped his arms around her neck, supporting her.

 

"Miss, are you alrights?"He shook her gently. There wasn't a response from her. It was only then Yunho realised that she was clutching on to her stomach and at a closer look, she was actually bleeding. Her white skirt was stained red and she began to groan in pain. Yunho panicked, not knowing how to react. He picked her up and put her inside his car quickly while calling the hospital.

 

"Miss, you'll be fine. We're reaching the hospital soon." He sped, not giving a damn about whatever traffic rule that he had violated. In just five minutes, they arrived at the nearest hospital and Yunho rushed the feeble girl into the emergency room. Call it bad luck or coincidence, there was an accident that happened around that area and the entire department was in chaos. "I need a doctor!! Someone here is bleeding profusely!!!" The only thing he could do was to put the girl on a stretcher while shouting around for help. He rummaged through her bag, hoping to find some kind of identification or contact number. He found her purse and took out her identification card.

 

Im Yoona. Oh, so she is a korean too, he thought. He found her phone and decided to try his luck by pressing the speed-dial button. She should have put her closest kin's contact in one of her speed-dials. 

 

/Yoong? Where have you been?!/ The phone got through and it was a guy who answered it. He sounded really anxious and worried.

 

/Hi... This is Jung Yunho. Miss Im met an accident and is currently in the hospital now. Are you by chance her family or friend?/

 

/WHAT?! ACCIDENT?!! WHERE IS SHE NOW?!! I'M COMING RIGHT NOW!/ The guy shouted over the phone. From his reaction, Yunho assumed that he was her boyfriend. Perhaps, husband even.

 

******

 

After awhile, Yunho saw a young man around his mid-twenties, with a pair of evident dark-eyebags and circles, dashing into the hospital, having a look of frantic as he clutched on to his phone. When he confirmed that he was the person he was looking for, he raised his arms up, trying to catch his attention. The guy caught it and ran towards him immediately.

 

"R-Ri...." The girl called out to the young man and raised her arms out feebly to which the guy immediately stood forward and took it, ignoring his presence. "Y-You got to save him, Ri..." She croaked out, as she held his hands tightly, hot tears gushing out from her eyes.

 

"You'll be fine, Yoong." The guy held on to her bloody hands tightly and her forehead tenderly, giving her a forced smile. "I promise." He accompanied her and finally forced to let go of her hands as she was being pushed into the surgery room. Yunho watched his each and every movement during that time and felt envious. They looked really close and loving. He decided that he should just stay behind and wait for the news, since he was partly responsible for this misfortune.

 

 

As the both guys waited in absolute silence and anxiety, the doctor came out, looking displeased.

 

 

"Doctor, how's my friend?"

 

"I'm sorry. She is malnutritioned and the loss of massive blood had caused her body to become even weaker. She wouldn't be able to withstand any longer even though I can see that she is trying her very best. You have to decide now. It's either the adult or the baby. In my advice, it has to be the adult. You guys can still have babies next time..." The doctor sighed as he took out his mask, taking over a clipboard from his nurse. "You've got to make a decision now, sir."

 

With absolutely no hesitation, the guy took the paper signed it, handing back to the nurse. "Please doc. You've got to save her at all cost. She must be safe and sound." Yunho noticed that the guy's eyes were teary as he pleaded the doctor. He admired the fact that he could make a decision so quickly. Was that really his child? Or was it because he loved her too much and couldn't bear to lose her.

 

"We will. By the way, is there by any chance you are B+ blood group? I'm afraid that there might not be enough B+ blood in the blood bank, since there was a major accident that happened just now. Our blood bank is almost depleted."

 

"What?! Gosh... I'm an A....." The guy sighed in despair. Yunho figured out that it was time for him to atone for his mistake. "Er.... Doc, you can take my blood... I'm an O+...." He stood up, walking towards the doctor.

 

"Really? Great! Please follow me this way then! Don't worry young man, I'll do all I can to save her." With that, the doctor brought Yunho into the surgery room. Before the door closed, Yunho saw that guy giving him a grateful glance and he smiled in return.

 

******

 

Yunho felt a little dizzy and was prompted to rest for a little while before making his way out. As his vision began to stablize, he grabbed his coat and walked out, hoping to find out the girl's condition. He felt guilty for causing such a young couple to lose their child and knew that he must sake forgiveness Fortunately for him, he asked around and found the girl's ward. He knocked on the door briefly and stepped in.

 

"Hi...." He stood in front of the door awkwardly, not knowing how to express himself. He told himself that if Ji Yong or Jessica was here, they would definitely laugh their heads off at him.

 

"Oh. It's you... Come here..." The guy looked at him and motioned him to come closer. "Thank you for your blood. You saved her life..."

 

"Oh. It's not a big deal. And besides, I should apologise... I shouldn't have lost my focus on the road...."

 

"It wasn't your fault. You didn't knock her down. She was just simply too weak. Preparing for her final exams with a baby in her tummy... She wasn't sleeping or eating well. The doctor had said that it was malnutrition that caused it. No worries." Instead of snapping at him, the guy was rather calm and gave him a smile. "By the way, I'm Lee Seungri. Nice to meet you, Mr Jung..." The guy extended his arms out.

 

"Do spare the formalities please. Call me Yunho will do. Are you by any chance a Korean too?" Yunho took his hand and gave it a firm handshake.

 

"Oh. You're a Korean too? Yes. We are Koreans... Coming here to pursue our studies. Nice to meet you Yunho-sshi..." Seungri gave a him a glance. "This girl always cause me so much anxiety..." Seungri turned back to Yoona and her forehead, smiling to himself bitterly.

 

"I'm sorry for your loss... It must be hard on you to receive such a news... It's your baby afterall..." Yunho trailed off, not knowing how to keep this conversation going.

 

"Oh... Yeahs. I was just wondering how on earth am I going to break the news to her later... She would be heartbroken...The baby was the only hope she had cling on to wait for his return... And now..." Seungri let out a deep sigh as he patted his nape tiredly. "That bastard. He better not let me track him down." Yunho cringed a little as he saw the anger in Seungri's eyes. He looked like he could really kill someone.

 

"Eh? Aren't you her hus...."

 

"Husband? Ahh. Anniyo. You misunderstood. We're just best friends. We grew up together." Seungri's eyes immediately softened and gave an embarrassed smile.

 

"Oh. I'm sorry! You guys look..."

 

"Look really compatible and close? That's what others always say. No worries, Yunho-ssi." Seungri let out a hearty chuckle. "Oh. Yunho-ssi, do you mind if you could help me look after her for a little while? I need to see to her hospital admission.

 

"Er... Sure! Why not? I don't see a harm in it." Yunho agreed readily and smiled. He didn't know why he became so eager all of a sudden when he realised that Seungri wasn't her boyfriend or husband at all. Blame it on the guys' hormones he concluded.

 

 

As Yunho sat beside Yoona, he couldn't take his eyes off her. He didn't really took notice of her features just now in that chaotic surroundings. Now, taking a closer look at her, he was amazed by her beauty. She had a pale complexion from the start. Her face was flawless, with only tearstains on it. He felt like reaching his hands out to carcass her face tenderly but stopped himself from doing so. Strangers, they were. Her hair was chestnut brown and were long and silky. She was soundly asleep, only the rising and falling movement of her chest could be seen. When Yunho noticed that her brows furrowed, he stretched out his arms unknowingly, pressing down the furrowed parts gently. As she fell into her deep slumber once again, Yunho eased.

 

This girl is special, he thought.

 

******

 

"You're indeed a special girl. I'm thankful to whoever the person that dumped you. Sleep tight, my love..." Yunho smiled as he pressed the furrowed parts of Yoona's brows again, and gave a gentle peck on her forehead.

 


Author's Note:

1) Seungri did came out with lots of reasons, asking Yunho to talk Yoona out of the idea of working with Ji Yong but he didn't tell him the real reason behind it.

2) Yunho's blood type was supposedly A. But in order for him to be the "hero", I've got to change his blood type.

3) More of Yoona's past discovered in this chapter and more of Yoonyun's moment.

4) Re-edited on 18/1/12, on Seungri's and Yunho's conversation.