II.

A Beautiful Mistake

A moment of impulsiveness

 

"Ji Yong? Which Ji Yong?"

 

"Kwon Ji Yong."

 

"BWAHAHAHA! Aigoo~ Yoong, I know you wanna punish me for being late and putting you on a vacation without notifying you. But, don't play such a prank on me. It's not funny at all." Seungri clutched on to his stomach as he laughed out.

 

 

However, when he saw that Yoona wore a straight expression, he stopped his laughter and stiffened. It wasn't a joke. It was real. Kwon Ji Yong is back.

 

 

"He came to look for you?" Seungri's face was no longer smiling as he put on a frustrated but yet worried face.

 

"I would rather that to happen. I met him in the wedding. Yunho Oppa introduced him to me. He is my brother-in-law now." Yoona sighed as she stirred her coffee carelessly.

 

"I saw a familiar figure at the cathedral too. I thought I was imagining things. Brother-in-law... Brother-in-law. BROTHER-IN-LAW?!" Seungri was horrified as his eyes went wide open, staring at Yoona with disbelief.

 

"He is the adopted brother that Yunho Oppa had been talking about. Seungri ah, ottokeh... It's like placing a timebomb right by my side every minute now!" Yoona threw her head back and sighed deeply. She was really vexed and at a lost.

 

"Did he do anything to you? Does Yunho hyung know about this? What did he say to you?"

 

"He didn't say a single thing. Not even breathing a single word to Yunho Oppa."

 

"Mwuh? Then what are you afraid of? Aishh~ I thought he did something to you. Looks like I'm being angsty for nothing." Seungri let out a relieved chuckle as he sipped his coffee.

 

"Anniyo Ri. That's why I say that he is a timebomb. He acted in front of Sica Unnie and Yunho Oppa. Acting as if he didn't know me at all beforehand. Acting as if we didn't have a past together..."

 

"Yoong ah...." Seungri turned her body to face him and looked into her eyes deeply. "You still have feelings for him, don't you?"

 

 

Yoona stared at him and blinked her eyes in confusion. It took her awhile to figure out where he was driving at. She wanted to give him a hit on the shoulder and laughed that comment off, claiming that he was sprouting nonsense. There was so much things she could say, she could deny, but words couldn't find their way to . Seungri has always been the one who knows her the best. He knows her even better than she knows herself. There was no point in lying to him. She clutched on to his sleeves as she looked up, into his eyes, eyes welled up with tears.

 

 

"Ri, I love him... I really love him so much... Why must he do this to me, Ri... Why..." Yoona kept on crying in Seungri's chest as she mumbled, clutching on to his sleeves.

 

 

Seungri couldn't say anything but just hugged her tightly, letting her tears flow down repeatedly. He let out a deep sigh as he her hair, trying in a vain attempt to soothe her down. Even though it was just a mere 3 months, he knew she had put her heart and soul into this relationship. That was something he had never seen in her when she had her past relationships in the college. He could see that he loved her too. The chemistry between them was great and they looked really good together. It was as though they were made for each other. Never ever had he thought that his prediction of being a playboy about him was right. He cursed himself silently for approving this relationship. He was being fooled by him.

 

 

And right now, she was still crying because of him. Why must he appear again just when she had just decided to move on from the past? He sighed and rubbed her back. This wasn't going to be simple. He knew deep down that she would never forget him, forget the past. In fact, he knew it long ago. When she chose to accept Yunho's proposal.

 

 

"Ri, tell you something. I had accepted Yunho Oppa's proposal! You know what, he is so romantic! I bet this is going to be the sweetest proposal that you've heard." Yoona cried excitedly as she grabbed hold onto Seungri's arm, eyes lighted up.

 

Seungri sighed as he watched her droning on and on about her wedding preparation. Finally, he couldn't stand it any longer. He carcassed her face in his hands and bore his eyes into hers. "Yoong, do you really like him?"

 

"...Yes. There isn't a reason why I should reject him. He is kind, he is caring, he is handsome, rich...." Yoona turned her head away and stood up, looking out of the window as she answered him.

 

"Stop stop. All you talk about is how great he is, how wonderful he is. From the moment you stepped in, you had been going on and on about him. I had never heard anything from you, Yoong. Do you really love him?" Seungri turned Yoona around and place his hands on her shoulders.

 

"Yes. I do." Yoona nodded.

 

"Gojitmal." Seungri sighed and walked away from Yoona. He held up his wine glass and took a sip of red wine. "You can lie to anyone but me, Im Yoona."

 

"I'm not lying, Ri."

 

"Then, tell me that you love him. Tell me loud and clear that Im Yoona loves Jung Yunho." Seungri got frustrated and put his wine glass down, staring at Yoona, folding his arms across his chest.

 

 

Yoona looked back at Seungri and wanted to tell him that she loves Yunho. But, she could never found herself passing the 'Love' word. She would always found being parched right after 'Love'. She couldn't say out Yunho's name.

 

 

"Haven't I told you never to accept the marriage until you're totally cleared of your feelings?" Seungri broke away from the hug and wiped away her tears with his thumb as he gave a weak smile. "But the stubborn you still chose to go on with the wedding."

 

"I thought I was able to move on... Who knows he would appear all of a sudden again. Ri, ottokeh...." Yoona sniffed as she dried her tears.

 

"Come on. Just let things take its nature course. He didn't want others to know about your past too. So, stop scaring yourself. Everything would be fine. Perhaps, he would just disappear again in a few days."

 

"Chinjia? I really hope so... My life can't be screwed up again..." Yoona sighed as she brushed her hair to the back, tying it up into a bun.

 

"Don't worry. I would forever be here no matter what happen to you." Seungri chuckled as he pinched her nose playfully. "Oh right. Since you're here, I could let you in to a piece of good news then. You would definitely be elated to hear this."

 

"Nothing could cheer me up except for bulblogi now, Ri. So, save the effort."

 

"Well, how about displaying your artwork at an art exibition?"

 

"Ha! How could that ever happen! We've tried that, Ri. No one would want to display artworks that are not done by famous people. I don't even have a bachelor degree on arts." Yoona scoffed as she sipped her coffee.

 

"Yah Im Yoona, had I ever lie to you?"

 

Though both of them had pursued their arts degree in America, only Seungri was able to get his bachelor degree at the end. When they returned to Seoul, both of them worked really hard and with the help of Yunho, they managed to open a graphic design company. Though it wasn't something that Yoona ultimately wanted, at least it had something to do with arts. She was still pursuing her dream, albeit in a different area. However, Seungri knew that being coped in a graphic design company drawing according to the customers' needs, wasn't what Yoona wanted. Hence, no matter how busy the company was, Seungri made the effort to help Yoona search for other companies or art exibitions that could have her artwork gain recognition. All these were futile, given that nobody would believe in a girl who only had a graduate cert. They wanted bachelors or even masters. The papers mattered alot. It showed recognition. Power. Unfortunately, Yoona had none.

 

 

"Chinjia? Chinjia?!! Don't kid me Lee Seungri!" Yoona became really excited as she grabbed hold of Seungri's arms hard, causing him to wince in pain. "Opps! Sorry!" She stucked her tongue out playfully and released her grip.

 

"Aishh~ You're really HIM Yoona." Seungri smirked and shook his head. "Yes. Yuri called me a while ago while I was on my way here and told me that a famous photographer is opening an art exibition here and was looking for someone who could draw. He wanted a newbie that doesn't have his artworks display before. He happened to see our advertisement online and decided to try his luck. My smart Yuri had known that you had been waiting for this opportunity for like ever and so she had arranged to meet the person today at 12pm. I decided to meet him personally first. You know how many frauds there are in this field. I don't want you to be disappointed. And this also explains why I'm a minute late today."


"Pfttt. Stop finding excuses for being late Lee Seungri~ And since when is Yuri, yours?" Yoona snorted as she hit Seungri's arm lightly. "I know you had been chasing her for like ever but she still hadn't accept you because she still couldn't forget about her deceased boyfriend. She and Young Bae Oppa were like a match made in heaven."

 

"I know Young Bae Hyung meant so much to her. That's why I'm willing to wait. I would always wait for her to move on, to accept my love for her. So, stop rubbing salt into my wound, Im Yoona. It's not very helpful here in case you didn't notice."

 

"Araso, DEVOTED guy. Even till today, I still can't believe that Lee Seungri, the casanova in America, had turned over a new leaf because of a girl~" Yoona scowled. "Yah. It's 11.30 now! Aren't you going to meet with the person? I'm coming along too!" Yoona stood up, grabbed her handbag and pulled Seungri along.

 

"Ahhh! Appa!"

 

******

 

Yoona and Seungri linked their arms together, making their way to the destination. They took the elevator to the 52nd floor of the building and Yoona's stomach began to flutter with excitement. Her artwork was finally going to be recognised. She would definitely thank this person, whoever this person might be. Being ushered by the person's secretary and with a knock on the door, both of them entered the room, only to see the backview of the person sitting on the chair. He slowly turned around, stood up and extended his arm out for a handshake as he introduced himself.

 

 

"Yoong, are you sure? His forehead seemed to be writing 'Beware. Playboy alert.' He doesn't seem trustworthy." Seungri stopped in his step as he whispered to Yoona.

 

"Mwuh? Anniyo. He isn't. It's just he leads a more carefree life. Come on Ri, I love him..." Yoona stopped too, looking into Seungri's eyes. "And I love you too. I want you to approve this relationship. Your opinion matters to me alot."

 

"Aishh~ Araso araso..." Seungri sighed as they linked their arms together again, walking towards Ji Yong who was waiting for them.

 

"Annyeonghaesaeyo, Kwon Ji Yong immida." Ji Yong stood up and extended his arm out for a handshake.

 

 

Seungri hesitated for awhile, gauging whether should he accept this handshake. If he did, he would be like giving approval to this relationship. However, he wasn't given any time to ponder. Yoona had pinch him hard at the back, causing him to jump up in pain as she shot him her threaten smile.  "Annyeonghaesaeyo, Lee Seungri immida." Seungri broke into a forced smile as he took the handshake.

 

Little did he realise that this mere handshake, would cause Yoona so much pain in her life...

 

 

"What are you doing here!?" Seungri immediately hide Yoona behind him, trying to keep her away from Ji Yong.

 

"You're in my office in case you didn't realise, Seungri-sshi."

 

"So you're Mr Kwon?" Seungri shot him an icy glare. "Damn it. The deal is off. Let's go, Yoona." Seungri grabbed hold of Yoona's wrist and began to stride out of the room. Yoona allowed herself to be pulled away, trying to make sense of what had happened. For a moment, she thought her dream had came true. And the next, she was plunged into her worst nightmare.

 

"If you stepped out of this room, the offer is off. Remember, this might be the only chance that your artwork could be recognise!" Just before Seungri dragged Yoona out of the room, Ji Yong shouted, causing the both of them to stop short in their steps. Seungri ignored his comment and wanted to walk away, but Yoona stood rooted in her steps and clenched her fist.

 

The only chance...

 

Seungri looked at Yoona's expression and gasped. He knew she was going to take up this offer. This offer had been hard to come by, and letting it slipped past her now, was not something that Im Yoona would do. He shot her a glare, an expression that he had seldom used on her, to warn her not to fall into the trap but to no avail. Her eyes shone in apology and determination. He sighed as he slowly let go of her wrist, taking a step backward. She had always been a stubborn girl. Once her mind was set into doing something, no one could change her. Well, except for him of course.

 

Yoona tried to keep her breathing in check as she turned around slowly, to face Ji Yong, who was looking at her, hands in his pockets, revealing once again, his prideful look. She mentally cursed herself for not letting Seungri dragged her away. He must have predicted that she wouldn't gave up such an offer. It had been a known fact to all that she was a stubborn girl. A determined girl, if you put it in a nicer way. Mustering all her courage, Yoona finally opened .

 

 

"We need to talk." She forced herself to sound cold, to stop the quiver in her voice.

 

"Fair enough. This way then." Ji Yong's face straightened as he walked passed Seungri, ushering Yoona towards the door.

 

 

Yoona followed behind. Before she left, Seungri grabbed hold of her wrist, giving her worried glances, pleading her not to go. But Yoona just smiled and patted his hand.

 

 

"I'll be back in a few, Ri."

 

******

 

"Can I help you with anything Yoona-sshi?" Ji Yong had brought Yoona to the rooftop, somewhere where no one would overhear their conversation. He looked towards the vast sky and closed his eyes, enjoying the strong wind blowing against his face.

 

"Shouldn't I be asking that question? Seriously, what do you want, Kwon Ji Yong?" Yoona cried as she looked at his back. She used to think that this back would give her the security, the love. But now, all she had from this back, was betrayal, fear, disappointments...

 

"From Ji Yong-sshi to Ji Yong Oppa, from Ji Yong Oppa to Jagikya, and now, all that I received was just Kwon Ji Yong? You really is something, Im Yoona." Without looking at her, Ji Yong opened his eyes and stared at the tall skyscrapers, smirking and shaking his head. "I should have known."

 

"Mwuh? What makes you think that you deserve any respect from me now? You were the one who brought this upon yourself!" Yoona raised her voice at him. "You don't know how much I had suffered..." She bit her lips hard as she mumbled out the last sentence. She didn't need him to know how miserable she was after he had left her. But, she just couldn't let this down. Not when he sounded as though he was the one who got hurt in this entire thing.

 

"Forget that I had even brought this up. I'm here for a serious matter. Are you going to take this offer? If not, I can always find another person." Ji Yong turned around and met her eyes. His heart lurched. Her eyes were the same as before. That gaze that is forever addictive to him. He quickly looked away before he could sink in deeper. "This is your choice."

 

"But... WHY? Why must you out of so many newbie, choose ME? I ain't a professional. I didn't even got my bachelor degree. This is your exhibition. Shouldn't you find someone who is well-known for his drawings?" Yoona was adamant on getting an answer out from him. "I'm a nobody in this field."

 

"In case you wasn't informed, I was just happening to be sourcing for a newbie and I stumbled onto your website. I wouldn't know that it would be you. Trust me, if I had known that the Im Yoona is the Im Yoona that I know, I would have totally diverted from that site. But since it was fated, I think I should give you a chance. As for the latter, you know that I'm not the type who follows traditions. I like to take risks. Challenges."

 

"Right. Just like the past..." Yoona muttered under her breath.

 

"Pardon?"

 

"An-Anniyo!"

 

"So, are you game for it? You may not be paid alot because this is for charity purpose. But I can assure you that your artwork would definitely be recognised."

 

"Let me think about this. It's too sudden..." Yoona answered. A part of her wanted to agree. This was the opportunity she had been yearning for! Who cares about the money? She was never one who cared about wealth. If she did, she would not have go into this field. However, another part was holding her back. Agreeing to this would mean that more time spent with Ji Yong. He was the person in charge afterall and she would definitely had to work with him to discuss things. It was inevitable that they would be spending time alone. Was she ready to face him once again?

 

 

Ji Yong shook his head and left Yoona alone while he walked back into the building. He knew she needed some time alone to think things through. As much as things weren't the same as before, he still hoped that she could accept the offer. This exhibition was important. Both for her and for him.

 

******

 

After awhile, Yoona walked back to the spacious office, only to be welcomed by the two men who were staring at each other. Seungri was all ready to pounce on Ji Yong and Ji Yong? He just kept his usual smirk on and sat on the couch right across him, arms folded across his chest as he crossed his leg comfortably.

 

"Let's do this." Yoona finally voiced out her decision. Afterall, her dream had won over her fear.

 

"Mwuh? Yoong! Micheoseo?!" This of course, sparked off Seungri as he stood up immediately, staring at her in shock.

 

"Ri. This is an opportunity not to be miss. You know I had been waiting for this like eternity. This is a great chance for me." Yoona sighed as she patted his arm. She knew he would be the hardest to get pass. He was like the father and big brother in her life. Protective of her. Sometimes, she wished that he wasn't that concerned about her.

 

"There must be other chances somewhere. Are you really that impatient? If this is so, then let's wound up the company and open an art gallery." Seungri insisted on his opinion. He knew he had to do something. Anything to stop her from falling back into her past again. She wouldn't be strong enough to withstand it.

 

"Yah! Lee Seungri! Don't you ever say that!" Yoona got worked up and gave him a light hit on his arm. She knew that it was his dream of havng a graphic design company of his own and now he is planning on giving it up for her. She hated it. She hated the fact that Seungri would always be there for her, no matter how hideous she was, how ridiculous she might have acted. "Ri, nothing would happen. I'm already married. Remember?" When she realised that the hard way wasn't going to succeed, she took the soft approach.

 

"But..."

 

"Seungri-sshi. That's her dream. Being her best friend, shouldn't you be supporting her instead of deterring her way?" This was when Ji Yong chose to speak up. Out of all the timings.

 

"You don't have any rights to be saying such words to me!! I gave her my support and look what it turned out now?!!!" Seungri bellowed at him. If it wasn't Yoona who grabbed hold of his arm, he swore that a punch would had ended up on Ji Yong's face.

 

 

This caused the whole atmosphere to sink into awkwardness. All three of them knew what Seungri was talking about. Seungri cursed himself for bringing up the past again when he had asked Yoona to move on. Seungri became guilty and decided that he should just calm himself down and listen to Yoona. She was right. She was now married. It was time he let his hair down for abit and gave her the freedom to try things out on her own. Ji Yong on the other hand was just staring at the coffee table, looking at the specks of dust formed on it. He didn't exactly know how to react to this matter, so, silence was definitely the most feasible way.

 

Yoona cleared and broke the silence. They couldn't be staring at each other in silence the whole day. "So, what do I have to do?"

 

"Oh. It's simple. Just create an artpiece out in two weeks. I would take pictures of the process too." Ji Yong blinked and looked up, relieved that someone was finally talking. "Since it's a charity exhibition, I would be showcasing some of my photos and your artwork would be on auction. A large portion of the profits would be donated."

 

"Hmmm. Fair enough..." Yoona nodded and began to fish out her notebook from her handbag. "What's the theme by the way?" She tapped on her notebook as she waited for Ji Yong's reply.

 

"Kids..." Ji Yong let out an almost inaudible whisper. Yoona stopped her writing in midway and froze.

 

Kids...

 

"This is a charity event held for orphans around the world. I'm raising funds to build houses for them. Is there any issues with that?" Ji Yong shrugged off Yoona's expression in his mind and sounded nonchalantly.

 

"Mianhae... I-I can't do this... I'm afraid you would have to ask someone else to do it... Let's go Ri." Yoona's face became contorted and stood up, pulling Seungri by his arm.

 

"Yah! Are you a coward? They're just kids! You hate kids don't you!" Ji Yong shouted across the room, causing Yoona to freeze in her step, back facing him.

 

"You don't have any RIGHTS to be saying this to me. You love KIDS? Want to do something for them? Spare me the thoughts, Kwon Ji Yong!" This sparked off Yoona completely as she stormed back into the room, stabbing a finger right into Ji Yong's chest and snapped at him. "Why should I be afraid of kids? Shouldn't you be the one who detest kids?"

 

"Then proof me wrong. Accept this task." Ji Yong felt intimidated by her sudden outburst of anger but managed to keep his cool and challenged her. "If not, you're just a coward who detest kids."

 

"Yah! Fine! Fair enough! I'll take up this challenge!" Yoona, who couldn't stand being spite, agreed to his proposal immediately. She cursed herself for being impulsive but she couldn't take back her words now. She had to accept it and grit her teeth till the end.

 

"Good. I look forward to see your draft in 3 days then, Yoona-sshi." Ji Yong smirked and extended his arm out for a formal handshake.

 

"3 days it shall be, Ji Yong-sshi."

 

******

 

"Yoong, are you serious? You're out of your mind!" Seungri groaned in exasperation the moment they had left Ji Yong's office.

 

"Relax Ri. It's only for two weeks. Nothing would happen." Yoona sighed. A lot of things had happened in just these few hours. Too much for her to comply with. All she wanted now was just a nice hot bath and a cup of espresso to calm her nerves.

 

"I really couldn't imagine how much things would be happening in just these 2 weeks. I really hope you had made the correct decision and not a rash one." Seungri sighed and shook his head. He predicted that this two weeks would be a really long one. 

 


Author's Note:

Not a really nice update I would say. And sorry for the late update! School had started for me once again and I'm busy. But I promise to update as soon as possible alrights! This chapter is more on the friendship between Seungri and Yoona and a little sneakpeak into Ji Yong and Yoona's past. Please anticipate the next chapter! Comments and subscribers are loved! (:

 

PS: Please do give your views on whether should I have an image for each chapter if you haven't! (: