IV.

A Beautiful Mistake

It Hurts

 

The night had deepened and Ji Yong laid on the couch of his office, swirling the glass of wine in his hand. He sighed as he looked at the surroundings. There was no one but he, himself. It was lonely and cold, given the only comfort was the table lamp that lighted up the dark office. He threw his head against the back of the couch tiredly and closed his eyes for a brief moment. What was he thinking? What on earth was he doing? He flung opened his eyes and sat up, staring at the thick liquid in the glass. It had been two days since he last went home. Two days since he challenged Yoona on accepting the task. He had received no direct calls from her, only a call from his half-brother, asking him to spare her more time, but was cut off by the person herself, claiming that the three days deadline was just enough. Ji Yong smirked as he heard her voice. Afraid but adamant. She was the same old Im Yoona. The Im Yoona when he had first known her. The gorgeous girl that was fierce and demanding in a cute way.

 

 

Ji Yong was out on yet another photographing session, roaming around the streets, hoping to capture some inspirational photos or breathtaking sceneries. He came to the bridge and spotted a young girl around her twenties, closing her eyes, smiling as she took a deep breath, facing the calm river. It was the same girl that he had just met. His lips twitched into a smile and he took out his camera, wanting to capture the moment.

 

Click.

 

The image he had taken was just a pitch black view to his surprise. He looked up and saw the girl's hand blocking the view of his camera lense, with a pout on her face. Ji Yong withdrew his hands quickly, shaking her hands off his lense, taking out a cloth to wipe his lense immediately. Yoona stared at him, arms folded across her chest and shook her head, giving a displeased look.

 

"What?" He finally looked up and raised his brows at her.

 

"Aren't that question suppose to belong to me? Here you are taking a photo of me secretly and got caught, but now, you're pretending to clean your lense, showing no sense of remorse or guilt. You might have helped me just now, but that doesn't mean you could take my photos without my permission!" Yoona snapped at him.

 

"Wow. Young lady. Here is a public place. So, I wasn't being sneaky and all, trying to take your photo. I was doing it OPENLY. Besides,I beckoned that that was a beautiful scene. If not, my good pal here wouldn't have reacted." Ji Yong smirked at her frank attitude and gave his camera a light pat. "Looks like you're being mistaken as a ert, my pal~"

 

"You're such a weirdo! Who talks to his camera in such a way!" Yoona cried. "Chinjia.. Why would I meet such a person..." She muttered under her breath.

 

"Oh.. So I guess you're a Korean too?" Ji Yong chuckled as he took up his camera once again, taking photos of the surroundings, as well as Yoona. He overheard her mumblings. 

 

"Too? So... You're a Korean too?!! Gosh. I was still thinking that your hair colour doesn't resemble a natural blonde. More of like a dyed one." Yoona tapped her finger on her jaw, proud of her own inference. "Yah! And I say, stop taking phots of me!" Yoona got agitated away and wanted to reach out for his camera, but Ji Yong immediately took a step back, causing her to lose her footing.

 

 

Ji Yong blinked and returned back to the reality. He let out a deep sigh and put the glass of wine on the table. He closed his eyes and rubbed his temple tiredly. Two days of insomnia was not something he had never been through. But two days of not being able to see her, was a great deal. He had been questioning himself ever since he returned to Korea. About his decision on coming back. She is married now. Happily married. She had moved on with her life and he should be moving on too. But what exactly was holding him back? He wasn't sure either. And the only way to figure out, was to see her again. Interact with her again.

 

He took out his wallet from his side pocket and flipped open it. Slowly, he took out the photo that was well hidden in one of the compartments. He the photo gently, tracing the outline of it. The photo was tainted a yellowish-brown, but the smile that was being portrayed, didn't fade despite years had passed by. A smile crept up to his face and a tear dropped onto the crisp photo...

 

 

He caught hold of her once again before she hit the ground. She fell on top of him, their eyes locked. Ji Yong found his breath being taken away at that instant. The pair of eyes seemed much bigger when closed up and was sparkling even brighter than it seemed. The full pinkish lips that were now inches apart from his, made him shuddered with excitement. His 'pal's' analogy had been right after all. This girl is indeed special.

 

Yoona's gaze fell on him and found herself gasping for breath. Up close, though she hated to admit, he looked handsome. She drank in the sight of his delicate features. They looked as though they belonged to a girl. Her palms, which was placed on his chest, sweat with excitement. Her fingers moved a little, somehow hoping that they could give those features a touch or a trace. It took her a while to actually pull herself away from him. She stood up quickly, wringing her hands about, flattening the hem of her skirt uneccesarily.

 

"K-Kamsahaminda..."

 

"Let me take a photo of you, will you?"

 

 

Yoona looked up, head tilted and eyebrows raised.

 

 

"Well, since you say that I evaded your privacy by taking photos of you without your permission, I'm now asking the permission from you. Fair enough Miss..."

 

"Im." Yoona finished the sentence for him.

 

"Right. Miss Im. So do I have the honour?" Ji Yong flashed one of his charming smile at her, causing her heart to skip a beat.

 

"Taking account that you had helped me twice in a row, I shall let this pass then. So, what do I have to do? Pose?" Yoona couldn't help but let out a laugh.

 

"Anniyo. I prefer taking natural shots. Just continue whatever you're doing just now. That will be perfect."

 

"Are all photographers all that weird?" Yoona shook her head and chuckled. "They always have a different mindset from people."

 

"Well, if you insist, then yes." Ji Yong laughed along.

 

 

This put an end to the short conversation and Yoona just walked away from Ji Yong, back to enjoying the beautiful scenery. A warm lavender and orange glow canvased the west sky. The sky got darker as it stretched from one end to the other. A smile lingered on her pale complexion as she huddled in the slightly chilly air, watching the sun lay to rest. Ji Yong was amazed by her beauty. He took out his camera and captured this beautiful memory. He couldn't take his eyes off her. Even though they had just met, it seemed that they had already know each other for a long time. He found courage behind her pair of eyes. Watching her as the sun faded below the horizon made him felt at ease. His heart was at peace. Oddly peaceful. A feeling that he had never felt before...

 

 

"Done. Kamsahaminda~" After a long while, Ji Yong finally walked towards her, leaning against the railing beside her.

 

"Mwuh? Since when do you take the picture? Why didn't I realise it?" Yoona looked at him with disbelief.

 

"This is what I call natural shot~" Ji Yong grinned playfully, to which Yoona replied with a snort. "Anyway, I think I should do a proper introduction." Ji Yong adjusted his jacket and faced her, looking all so serious. "Annyeonghaesaeyo, Kwon Ji Yong immida." He smiled at her, extending his arm out, causing her heart to skip a beat once again. He looked really handsome.

 

"Annyeonghaesaeyo, Im Yoona immida." Yoona took his hand and gave it a firm handshake. Behind that pair of smiling eyes, Yoona could sense that there was something more to it. Something mysterious...

 

She shook away the thought though. It was hard to meet someone from Korea here in this vibrant city of America. Whatsmore, he was someone who could hit off well with her. Somehow. No harm making a friendship in this foreign land.

 

"Aren't you going to show me the photo?"

 

"Well, I prefer to showcase the final product. Don't worry. Whatever photo that comes under my hand would turn out fine~" Ji Yong smirked proudly.

 

"Yah. Are you trying to say that I'm not photogenic?!"

 

"Uhm. I didn't say that~" Ji Yong ran away, teasing her.

 

"Kwon Ji Yong! Stop right there!!"

 

And this was how, a new friendship was formed...

 

 

"But you never get to see the final product though..." Ji Yong smiled bitterly as he wiped away his tears. "Tomorrow will turn out fine for you. I hope." He traced the features in the photo once again, and finally, kept it back into the dark compartment of his wallet.

 

******

 

"So, the day is here~ Yoona-sshi, I hope you have some eyecatching draft for us~" Ji Yong spun his chair around, hands on his chin as he looked at her, who was standing in front of him, holding a briefcase in her hand.

 

"I think it is of acceptable quality. Let's just hope you're not too picky, Ji Yong-sshi." Yoona sat down and took out the papers, displaying on the table for him to see.

 

 

Ji Yong took one of the drawings and scrutinised it carefully. Yoona tapped her fingers on her lap anxiously as she watched him scanning through paper after paper, expression unreadable. Finally, with the last paper, he put it down and took out his spectacles.

 

 

"So...." Yoona bit her lips hard to stop her voice from quivering. Despite all these years, he was still capable of making her nervous. "I...."

 

"Is that the best you can do, Yoona-sshi?" Ji Yong cut her off and shook his head. "All these. They just tell me that you had not put in much effort." Ji Yong picked up a few sheets of paper and put them down on the table again.

 

"Y-Yah! I already done my best! Don't insult my artwork!" Yoona became agitated and started to pack all the sheets of paper, getting ready to step out of the office. The fact was that, she knew that all these drawings weren't up to standard. But still, she couldn't believe that Ji Yong would just reject all of them. Every single one even. "Then I guess you should find others. I'm sorry." She stood up, turning and started to walk away.

 

"Are you going to back out just like that?" Ji Yong called out. "I didn't know you're such a loser, Yoona-sshi. I thought I always see determination in you."

 

"Don't act as if you know me very well because you don't!" Yoona turned back and snapped at him. "Yes. I'm a sore loser. No matter how much I improve on the artwork, you would still say that it's not up to your standard. So, there's no point in me trying."

 

"Shouldn't you just asked then? Listen to the suggestions I have and improve on it." Ji Yong stood up from his seat and walked towards her calmly. "I know you want to get rid of me as soon as possible. But let's get this job done properly shall we? Once this is accomplished, I can guarantee you that we would not cross each other's path again. You have my words." Ji Yong looked straight into her eyes, face straight and serious.

 

"Your words meant nothing already..." Yoona avoided his gaze and walked towards the couch. "You're right. It's all for the sake of the kids. What suggestions do you have?" She sat down and started to take out her notebook and pen, waiting for Ji Yong.

 

 

Ji Yong looked at her and sighed silently before walking towards the couch to resume the meeting. Right. Her trust towards him had long been depleted...

 

******

 

"Here. Grab a bite first. You two are such hardworkers. Yoona-sshi, I can't believe you're just like Ji Yong. Fancy working hours after hours, without taking breaks." Daesung came in with two plastic bags of food and alerted the both of them.

 

Things finally got on track when they decided to sit down and talked things through. As Ji Yong offered his suggestions, Yoona took it readily if she thought that it was reasonable. However, when she begged to differ, they would debate over it, until one party was fully convinced. After the discussion, Yoona started on her drawing once again, with Ji Yong giving her suggestions along the way. When Ji Yong felt that she was finally on track, he left her to work on the artwork alone while he organised other things. Time passed quickly as they were focused on their work.

 

"Omo! It's already... 9pm already?!!" Yoona stretched and looked at her watch. "Omo! I had promised to return home to have dinner with Oppa!" She grimaced in horror, quickly gathering her stuffs.

 

"Wow wow. Relax Yoona-sshi." Daesung smiled and stopped her. "Ji Yong had already told me to contact Yunho-sshi earlier on. I've already informed him. He just left a message for you, telling you not to overwork yourself and remember to have dinner." Daesung smiled.

 

"Oh... Chinjia? Kamsahaminda Daesung-sshi..." Yoona's face turned red with embarrassment as she sat back down again. She took a glance at Ji Yong who was still looking at his documents intently, ignoring their conversation. Unknowingly, a smile crept up on her face. He still looked the most handsome when he is at work....

 

"Kwon Ji Yong! Come and have your dinner!" Daesung's shout broke her train of thought as she looked up, and saw Ji Yong's irritated face.

 

"Yah! Kang Daesung! You're my secretary! Not my mother! Why are you ordering me around?!" Ji Yong groaned. "Trust me. You're going to get the death letter soon."

 

"That's what you always say. I think the possibilty of me tending a resignation letter is much higher. Just admit that you can't live without me, Boss~" Daesung smirked proudly, to which Yoona chuckled. Their relationship seemed pretty close. Closer than a boss-subordinate relationship.

 

"This is because I pity Fany~ I don't want her to marry a pauper you see." Ji Yong smirked and got up from his working desk, walking towards the food. "What are we having for dinner today, my dear Kang Bi Su?" He started to peer into the plastic bag.

 

"Yah! This is not for you! It's for Yoona-sshi!" Daesung hit his hand immediately, causing him to cringe in pain. "Here you go Yoona-sshi." Daesung smiled brightly at her and handed her a lunchbox. "Yah. Yours is here~" His expression immediately had a 360degree change as he shoved Ji Yong's lunchbox to him.

 

"I swear I would tell you in to Fany later. Which secretary on earth has the right to treat their boss this way!" Ji Yong grumbled and started to tuck in. "But still, you made or buy the best lunchbox ever~ Maybe you can be househusband when you get fired."

 

"I shall take that as a compliment." Daesung snorted. "Alrights. I'm knocking off already~ Have a date with my dear Fany~ Do not stay working too late! Kwon Ji Yong, return Yoona-sshi to her husband before 12am." Daesung quickly walked out before Ji Yong could throw a cushion at him. "Enjoy your dinner!"

 

"This brat..." Ji Yong cursed under his breath, causing Yoona to break into peals of laughters. "Never mind him. He is always like that~"

 

"But you two seemed to be really close. You guys seemed to be like brothers." Yoona gave him a polite smile.

 

Ji Yong paused for a while as he stared at his rice. A smile lingered on his face. "Yeahs... He was the one who helped me up in the darkest hour..."

 

 

The torrential rain poured down in the city of New York. Today was a cold, dark day. Just like the feeling of Kwon Ji Yong. The moment he closed his eyes, images of her flew past him. He missed her alot. Really. But she chose to leave him. Just when he had decided to be with her till eternity. He was just late by a few hours but had asked Gyuri to help him to convey his message to her. Still, she chose to leave. And he received the news from Gyuri that she even aborted the baby. Their baby. At the thought of it, Ji Yong ran out of his house and into the rain, running aimlessly, letting the cold rain fall onto him. 

 

His legs eventually took him to her house. He dragged himself up the stairs and began to knock on the door. The poundings got louder and louder as each knock brought more tears into his eyes.

 

 

"Yah! IM YOONA! COME OUT NOW!! WHY DIDN'T YOU WAIT FOR ME!!?!!" He shouted through the tears and broke down in front of the door, knuckles sore and red from the repeated poundings against the door. "Why....Why didn't you wait for me.... It hurts. It really hurts... Without you beside me, it would be meaningless.." He hugged his knees together, head hanging down.

 

"When things are at its rock bottom, you shouldn't give up, but instead, bounce back higher. Because, things could never get any more worse. Bounce back and make the greatest impact ever." A voice rang in his ear and he looked up, shocked to see a guy around his age, sitting beside him suddenly. He was holding a bottle of beer in his hand and he looked at him, smiling bitterly. "At first, I too, wanted to die. But, when I see you in this state, I was reminded that there're many more people who are suffering much more than me. I shouldn't end my life just because of some heartless boss who maligned me just to avoid paying me salary and my materialistic girlfriend who was cheating on me behind my back with my boss... My family is going to be heartbroken..." He broke into a weak laugh as he faced the front and watched the rain continue to pour down. "It may be raining now, but eventually, the rain would stop and the sky would be clear..."

 

"But my loved ones are no longer here..." Ji Yong mumbled. "There's nothing left for me to work for anymore..."

 

"We tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is it’s not our loss, it’s theirs. They left the one person in the world who would never give up on them." The guy added. "Cryings are normal. But each and every time you cry, tell yourself that this would be tears of courage. Live for yourself and the ones you love and love you. No matter whether they're with you or not. Live for those whom you hated too. Because, you will have to get back on them someday."

 

 

Ji Yong remained silent as he took in the guy's words slowly. He looked at him and helplessly, a grin crept up on his face too. This guy, he looked a little younger than he was, but his thinkings were much more mature than him. His perspective on lifes. He was right. He shouldn't just crumbled down like that now. He only lost the love of his life. She did not cheat on him and was definitely not dead. He was holding a job which he had deep passion in it. What more was he asking for?

 

 

"You're right. Thanks for the encouragement pal. By the way, I'm Kwon Ji Yong." Ji Yong extended his arm and gave the younger guy a grin.

 

"Not a problem. I'm just voicing out my thinkings. Kang Daesung." He shook his hand and gave a warm smile too.

 

 

A strong bond was formed between this two heart-broken strangers as they continued to watch the rain fell mercilessly.

 

 

"Ji Yong-sshi?" Yoona watched his expression changed from a smile to a frown as he became silent. "Gwenchanayo?"

 

"N-Neh. Yeahs. He was my saviour I suppose. And I had helped him in getting this current girlfriend of his too." Ji Yong blinked and smiled politely back to Yoona. Yoona would never know the pain he went through. The pain that she had inflicted on him. Be it knowningly or innocently.

 

 

Yoona nodded and continued to dig in her meal but her mind was not giving her a rest. His expression just now didn't seem like he was fine. It was as though he had been through a torment as he recalled something. But what could it be? She knew she shouldn't be bothered about his stuffs anymore. But her mind just couldn't let it rest. She wondered briefly and as her curiousity got stronger, she finally put down her pair of chopsticks and asked the question that had been burning hot deep in her heart.

 

 

"Ji Yong... Oppa..." She called out, much to Ji Yong's surprise and to her horror. It came out so naturally. "C-Can I ask you a question?"

 

"S-Sure... What is it?" Ji Yong felt his stomach churned as well, hearing her calling him 'Oppa' once again but at the same time, feeling the fear she had for him.  

 

"Why must you chose to appear again out of all these while?"

 

 

It took Ji Yong awhile to actually interpret what she was driving at. He didn't know how to response, but at that point of time, he knew she wasn't ready for the real answer. So, without much thought, he just uttered a few words. He walked towards her slowly, leaning towards her ears and whispered menacingly, causing her to shudder. "Because, I want my revenge..."

 

Seeing Yoona's expression turned into a shockeed one, he regreted whatever he had said. What nonsense was he saying?! He tried to clear things up as he stood up, grabbing his coat that was hanging on the clothes rag. "Come on. It's getting late. Let's get you back to Hyung already."

 

"N-Neh..." Yoona blinked and cut off her thoughts, gathering her stuffs and followed behind Ji Yong, trying to shake off the thoughts and the feelings she had.

 

What was the meaning behind the short phrase?

 


Author's Note:

1) More of GYoon moments and Ji Yong's past~

2) Daesung's girlfriend, Fany, is Tiffany from SNSD. They met after he got ditched by that ex-girlfriend of his.

3) Gyuri is Ji Yong's ex-girlfriend before Yoona. She worked for him since Ji Yong opened a photo studio by himself. She would play a part later in the story.

4) Added an image for this chapter. I had decided that I would add images along the way if I had found any nice ones (: But most probably, all the images would be of a darker background.

 

Updated this story using my few days of break! Happy Lunar New Year to whoever is celebrating! Hope you received lots of 'Angbaos'! :D