V.

A Beautiful Mistake

The Unforgotten Love

 

Ji Yong walked at the front, with Yoona tailing behind him. They stood in front of the elevator which seemed to take eternity to reach their level. Ji Yong tapped his feet and chewed a gum, looking at all direction, except at Yoona. Yoona on the other hand, wringed her hands about, flattening her already-neat skirt. Finally, the elevator landed on their floor with a silent thud. Ji Yong stepped in followed by Yoona. Inside the elevator, it was even more awkward. Yoona kept her gaze on the LCD screen, hoping the elevator could descend even faster and silently cursed Ji Yong for choosing such a high level to be his office.

 

To make matter worse, the elevator came to an abrupt stop. Both of them stared at each other, having a look of bewilderment. Suddenly, the elevator jerked and started to descend, frightening Yoona. Screeching sound of metals brushing against the reels could be heard and tears of panic started to form in Yoona's eyes. As the elevator continue to drop at great speed, Yoona was horrified. Both of them held on to the railings, hoping the elevator could just stop at where it was now.  Finally, the elevator halted again. Ji Yong opened his eyes, heaving a sigh of relief, only to see Yoona's shocked face. Yoona broke into tears as she threw her arms around Ji Yong. Ji Yong was taken aback at first but wrapped his arms around her soon after that, rubbing her back gently, soothing her.

 

After awhile, the sobbings died down and Yoona broke away from the hug, face tinged red.

 


"Everything is fine already... Don't worry.."

 

"Mi-Mianhae... I-I didn't mean to..." She sniffed as she took a step back, trying to widen the gap between them.

 

"It's alrights..." Ji Yong kept his gaze on her, refusing to break apart as he held her by the shoulders.

 

 

Both of them fell silent. Then, Ji Yong moved slightly, planting a gentle peck on her forehead.

 

 

"I miss you..." He let out an almost inaudible whisper. "It's just that I didn't have the guts to say it out..."

 

 

Yoona met his gaze and took a step back immediately, breaking apart. She looked away, refusing to look at him. She walked towards the lift button, pressing the emergency bell repeatedly and started to get annoyed.

 

 

Ji Yong smirked and sat down on the floor. "At the rate that you're going, you will most probably trigger the elevator to start descending again."

 

 

Yoona flashed him a death glare and let out a deep sigh. "Gosh. Why am I always in bad luck when I'm around you..." She cursed under her breath, earning a chuckle from Ji Yong.

 

"Well, then I'm most apologetic about it I guess." Ji Yong chuckled and folded his arms across his chest, looking at her amusingly.

 

 

Yoona gave a pout and started pacing to and fro the lift with her arms folded across her chest while Ji Yong just sat down, legs crossed as he leaned against the walls of the elevator. 

 

 

"You know, I think by the time we got rescued, your legs would be too sore to even move and you've got to be carried out by the helpers." Ji Yong's eyes were closed as he spoke out calmly.

 

"Then? Are we just going to sit around like you, waiting blindly for someone to come here? I'm not THAT calm like you, Ji Yong-sshi." Yoona replied with a scowl and continued to pace around, pounding on the elevator door now and then and shouting for help. "Even if I'm going to shout till my throat is sore, I'm going to do that."

 

"Suit yourself then." Ji Yong smirked as he continued to stay in  his position.

 

 

Indeed, after awhile, Yoona got tired and eventually gave up, sitting down, at the far end, away from Ji Yong, though the elevator wasn't that spacious.

 

 

"Gave up already?" Ji Yong finally opened his eyes and shot a victorious smirk at Yoona. "That's unlike you, Im Yoona."

 

"I'm just taking a timeout. 5 minutes." Yoona rolled her eyes and snorted.

 

 

Hence, silence fell between them again as each of them wrestled with their own thoughts. Finally, the chirpy Yoona couldn't stand the awkward silence and decided to speak up.

 

 

"About just now.... Wh-What do you mean?"

 

 

Ji Yong was surprised that someone was actually talking and it took him a minute to figure out that the voice was from Yoona. He looked at her for a couple of seconds before looking away again, head bent down as he stared at the floor, trying to figure out the answer to her question.

 

 

"Didn't you hate kids?" Instead of replying to her question, Ji Yong threw her another question. "I mean, you could just reject my offer. You don't have to accept it because of my teasings." He added on, head still down, staring at the floor.

 

"Me? I hate kids? Since when?" Yoona was shocked by his reply. The last thing she hated would be kids! "I love kids the most..." Yoona looked up to the ceiling as she let out a deep sigh. A regretful, depressed sigh. "When I lost him, my world plunged into darkness. I really needed yo.... Aishh~ Forget it. It's all over now." She left her sentence lingered in the mid air.

 

"Then why did you lose it?" Suddenly, Ji Yong stood up, as he cornered Yoona, inching closer to her. "Why did you choose to lose it? If he meant so much to you like what you had claimed...." His tone was low and scary. Threatening even. Yoona shuddered as his breath brushed against her skin.

 

 

Yoona gulped her saliva down hard. He was too close for comfort. She had nowhere else to look but into his eyes. That pair of eyes that were so dark, penetrating into her soul, as if he was searching for something, but what could it be? She had no idea what he meant. How did she lose the baby? She herself wasn't sure. By accident? Or was it her irresponsibility that caused this tragedy? She opened slightly, closing it again when she found that was parched and couldn't utter a single word.

 

 

"Mr Kwon. Mr Kwon? Are you inside?" The intercom rang just in time to break this frosty atmosphere and Yoona was relieved that it came right on the dot. It saved her from the embarrassment and bewilderement. Ji Yong stepped away from her as she tucked her hair behind her ear nervously. Every conversation with him now seemed to wreck every strand of her nerves.

 

"The elevator had stopped. We're trapped inside. Please send the service worker right now." Ji Yong's tone had once again changed. From the dark, threatening tone, to an authorative one.

 

"Neh! We'll get to it immediately."

 

"They would be here soon. Just bear with me for another 5 minutes. And your bad luck would be over." Ji Yong adjusted his jacket as he faced the front of the elevator, back against Yoona.

 

 

Yoona stared at his back. It was the exact back she looked at, back in the rooftop. The back that was causing her fear, sadness... But yet, she couldn't take her eyes off it. He was still that mysterious...

 

******

 

Within five minutes, the elevator door was opened and both of them were rescued.

 

 

"I think next time, you guys should do an hourly check at night. I don't wish to see this incident happening anymore." Ji Yong told the security off when he got up.

 

"We'll. Mianhae Mr Kwon. Sorry to cause your inconvenience..." The security guard bowed in apology as Yoona made a face at Ji Yong behind his back. So that explained why he was so calm when the elevator stopped. He had already figured out the time that the security would do their routine checks. Yet, he didn't inform her, allowing her to continue screaming her lungs off.

 

 

Ji Yong waved the guard off and turned back to look at Yoona who immediately had a change of expression. "Do you still want to continue staying here?" Ji Yong looked at her and raised his brows. Yoona's face became red as she stared at the ground, hands clenched into two balls of fist as she hit her legs. Ji Yong smirked at her actions. Looked like her legs had totally went numb back in the elevator. He looked at her and shook his head, walking towards her, making an action, signaling her to get on his back.

 

 

Yoona looked at him, giving a look of objection on her face to which Ji Yong replied, "You want me to get the security guard back here so you could get on his back?"

 

"Not that. Bu-But I'm wearing a skirt..." Yoona's face turned even redder as she stared down at her above-knee length skirt.

 

"Oh THAT." Ji Yong let out a laugh as he saw her shy expression. "Here. Is this better, my HYUNGSOO?" He took off his jacket and tied it around her waist, forming extra fabric that extended down to her small thigh.

 

"Fine." Yoona hesitated for awhile and finally gave in. She limped and with the help of Ji Yong, got onto his back, hands hanging in the mid air, refusing to put it around his neck for support.

 

"Are you sure you're going to do that? I'm not going to be responsible for your broken arm or leg if you fall if that's fine with you." Ji Yong teased.

 

"Just get going will you? Stop talking so much. Maybe if you minimise the talkings, we would have reached your car. And please keep your hands to yourself." Yoona hissed back, placing her handbag on his back and finally laid on her bag as she locked her arms together, making a huge loop around his neck, having as little skinship with him as possible.

 

"Suit yourself then~" Ji Yong laughed and shook his head as he made his way to his car. "It's not as though I had never touched them before.." He mumbled playfully under his breath.

 

******

 

The engine hummed to a low rumble as Ji Yong pulled the break, stopping the car slowly. He looked to his side and found a sleeping goddess beside him. A smile hung on his face as he looked at her, being soundly asleep and kept herself warm with his jacket. She still looks beautiful and mesmerizing when she is asleep. He took a couple of minute, drinking in the captivating sight. Finally, after awhile, he got out of the car and walked to the door. The familiar door that always sent chills down his spine whenever he went through it. He ruffled his hair, trying to shake away the negative feelings. He rang the doorbell and took a step back, hearing the urgent scrambling of footsteps across the floor.

 

 

"Second young master!" The maid called out. Just as he had expected.

 

"Spare me that formalities. Is Hyung around?" Ji Yong ruffled his hair again and gave a forced smile.

 

"I'll get him right away!" The maid took a quick bow and once again, hurried over to get her first young master. Ji Yong looked at her disappearing from his sight and returned with Yunho behind her in just a minute. He would never get the reason why they were always in such a hurry.

 

"Oh boy, look who's here~" Yunho scoffed as he gave Ji Yong a friendly hug. "What brings you here? And where is my wife?"

 

"Wow Hyung. The first thing you asked is about your wife. You should at least spare a thought for your brother here you know. I'm hurt." Ji Yong replied, putting a hand over his heart in mock pain. "Araso araso. I shall stop fooling around. Your wife is in my car. She had fallen asleep. I figured out that you wouldn't want me to carry her in here right?" He chuckled.

 

"You bet." Yunho laughed as he punched his fist against Ji Yong's chest and wrapped his arm playfully around his neck as they made their way to the front porch.

 

******

 

Ji Yong stood there as he watched Yunho's face crept into a smile when he saw Yoona. He noticed that his eyes sparkled at the sight of Yoona. Just like he did back then... Yunho approached her quietly and removed Ji Yong's jacket from her body, slipping his arms around her waist and back slowly and quietly, afraid of awakening her. Yoona stirred a little and snuggled up in his chest comfortably and wrapped her arms around Yunho's neck. All those actions were all so familiar to him. He let out an inaudible sigh. He didn't have any right to be jealous or angry. He was just like the jacket. Being thrown to a side when the heater had arrived. It was a past already. He wondered for a moment if he would ever get a chance to be the heater again. The heater that warms her heart...

 

 

"Come on. You're heavy. Get down and walked by yourself will you?" Ji Yong pretended to groan as they walked along the long pavement.

 

"Gojitmal. I'm as light as a feather~ And I just love this warmth..." Yoona yawned as she wrapped her arms around his neck and snuggled up nearer to him, resting her head on his chest and closed her eyes peacefully again.

 

"I hope I can warm you up like this every night when you're cold...Even if you had become an old lady..." Ji Yong smiled and carried her closer to his body, walking towards her house.

 

 

"Ji Yong ah. What are you standing there for? Come in!" By the time he had regained his senses, Yunho was already near the door, giving him an urgent whisper.

 

 

Ji Yong nodded and ran towards him, hoping the frosty wind could clear his head for a little while.

 

******

 

Ji Yong stepped into the study room and looked around. Everything seemed so familiar but yet distant to him. It was the same room that he had spent most of his time in when he was a child. He walked around and brushed his hands across the table, stopping at a photoframe that was placed on it. He held it up slowly, a grin spreaded on his face as his gaze softened on the photo.

 

"Thinking about dad?" Yunho's voice lifted him out from his thoughts as he looked up, giving a smile in return as he placed the photoframe back to its original place.

 

"She's asleep?" Ji Yong walked to the couch and made himself comfortable.

 

"Yeahs. She's a deep sleeper. Even an earthquake couldn't wake her up." Yunho chuckled and handed him a can of beer. "Fancy one?"

 

"I don't see any harm~" Ji Yong smiled and took over the can of beer, opening the can of beer and knocked it against Yunho's.

 

"Wow... It seemed like an eternity ago when we brothers sat down like that, having a can of beer, pouring our thoughts out." Yunho took a gulp of his beer and exclaimed. "Time seemed to have pass so fast..."

 

 

Ji Yong kept silent and nodded. Indeed, time had passed so quickly. So quickly that he didn't have a clue what he had been through these years.

 

 

"Ji..." Yunho let out a low, monotonous tone. "Are you still... still angry at dad?"

 

 

Despite at the age of only eight, Ji Yong could already understand the true meaning of hatred. He could see it emitting from his stepmother's every pore. Whenever she saw him, she would start to curse him or even pushed him, hurting him in each and every way she was capable of. Be it mentally or physically. At that age, he already knew that he wasn't born in the same way like any normal child was. He was unwanted. He was abandoned. He was clueless about his mother's whereabout, about the reason of her absence through her childhood, about his stepmother's outburst of fury whenever she saw him, about why his dad would always defend his stepmother and beat him up for no valid reason. He was clueless of a lot of things. But one thing he was certain of, he was being hated.

 

Through his adolescence years, the only comfort he had received, aside from his deceased grandmother who insisted him to be brought back to the Jung mansion, was from his half siblings. Ji Yong remembered clearly the day when he first stepped into the Jung's mansion, every single person, ranging from the maids to his dad, none of them wore a smile. All of them were gloomy. All except for Jessica and Yunho. They were the only two people in the family that Ji Yong felt comfortable with. He remembered how Jessica would pull his arms, dragging him to show him her wardrobe of clothes, asking for his opinions. He remembered how Yunho would always forbade his mother's lectures, asking him out for a game of soccer in the backyard garden and wrestled with him when one party was in rage. He was grateful to them. Really grateful.

 

Then came one day. It was Yunho's graduation ceremony. Even though it was just a high school ceremony, Mrs Jung insisted of taking a family photo at home. A professional photographer, equipped with good lightings and lenses, was hired to the mansion. Of course, family photo meant the Jung Family. The family of four. Excluding Ji Yong. Ji Yong was instructed to stay in the room and not to even take a step out of the room. Receiving lots of beatings had made him immune and numbed. He decided to take a peek. A peek wouldn't kill. As he tiptoed to the staircase, he was being spotted by Yunho who alerted his parents. Ji Yong cursed silently.

 

 

"Ji! Come! Let's take a picture together!" Yunho raced up the stairs and tugged Ji Yong's arm, wanting to pull him down with him.

 

Ji Yong took a glance towards his dad who looked away at that instant and Mrs Jung who gave him her usual cold and fierce stare. He smiled and tried to pull away. "Gw-Gwenchanayo. I'm fine. I'm not photogenic anyway."

 

"The photographer would make you look handsome. So don't you worry!" This time, Jessica had joined in and pulled Ji Yong down the stairs, giving him no chance to retaliate.

 

"But Noona...."

 

"I'm not taking anymore." The moment he got down with the siblings, Mrs Jung stood up, striding away.

 

"See what I mean? Hyung, Noona, I'm really fine. Don't worry about me." Ji Yong smiled and turned, wanting to walk up the stairs, but was stopped.

 

"We're going with the shoot. I want to take a photo with you, Ji. There wasn't a single photo of us yet." Yunho spoke up, eyes pleading him.

 

 

Ji Yong took another quick glance at his dad who once again, avoided his gaze and made no comments. He sighed and finally nodded, walking with Yunho, getting seated to the sit that was supposedly allocated for Mrs Jung. He felt as though the few minutes were hell of a torture for him. It was as though he was sitting in a electric chair, electrocuting his muscles. Just a smile Kwon Ji Yong. Get it over and done with.

 

 

"1,2,3, Say cheese~" Click, went the photographer. "Daddy, please sit closer. Young boy, please smile. Yes. That's right." The photographer instructed and took another picture.

 

 

At the end of the shoot, Ji Yong sneaked behind the photographer and took a peek at the photos taken. His eyes were lighted up. The photo was really well-taken. His heart felt warm. Even though it wasn't complete and it was just by chance, it came out well. The one and only family photo for him...

 

 

"At that point of time, he didn't bothered to even give me a glance..." Ji Yong held the photoframe up and smiled bitterly. "The feelings I had for him, was hatred... But now, it wasn't even hatred anymore. I no longer had any more feelings towards him...."

 

"Ji... You know dad loves you. It's just that he didn't express it out..." Yunho sighed, walking over and gave a pat on Ji Yong's shoulder. "He was asking for you even at his last breath..."

 

"I was beside him. But he just looked at me, not saying anything. Not even a single word from him, Hyung. Through these years, there was never once he had spoken directly to me. Even when I asked him who my biological mother was, all I got was a silent response. Hyung, I'm tired. I'm really tired..."

 

"It's because of my Umma that he didn't dare to show his love for you. I'm sure he regretted being a coward. In his will, it was listed in his request that you'd be named back to Jung and inherited a portion of his wealth."

 

"Wealth? That was NEVER what I wanted! He never knew what I wanted. All I wanted... All I wanted from him... from him... was just... was just a simple hug. An affection hug. Or even.. Or even just a nod of approval when I did well for my exams..." Ji Yong growled and ended with a whisper of disappointment and sadness. "Mianhae Hyung. I guess I should do. Th-There is still work left undone in the office. Have a good night rest." Ji Yong clenched his fist tightly and tried to stop the quiver in his voice, turning to walk out of the study room. 

 

 

"Ji!"

 

 

Just as he pushed the door open slightly and was about to step out, he was shocked. Yoona was standing right in front of him, eyes welling up in tears. His eyes met hers. Yoona knew that he was devasted. His words just now, hurt himself more than anyone would. Ji Yong used his hands to rub away the tears that fell from his eyes fiercely and made a run towards the main door. Yoona didn't react. She was too preoccupied in her own thoughts. So that explained his tears. The tears that she had only seen it twice... And the reason why he was a Kwon instead of Jung...

 

 

"Tell me something about your family." Yoona laid her head lazily on Ji Yong's shoulder as she stifled a yawn.

 

"Can we not talk about this?" It was a topic that Ji Yong hated to bring up. There was nothing he could bring up in fact.

 

"Why? Come on, I already told you that I'm an orphan. What else could be worse than my plight?" Yoona opened her eyes and looked up at him, giving him a pout.

 

"Aishh~ Why are you always giving me this face. You know that I have a soft spot for it..." Ji Yong groaned. Seeing Yoona's determined eyes and since he had rejected this request of her for a few times already, he stood up, walking towards the drawer and took out a photo. With a sigh, he faced the balcony. "I do have a family... But, I wished I didn't have one..."

 

"Why?" Yoona asked worriedly as she stood up, wrapping her arms around his back, resting her chin on his shoulder. "Omo... Is she your halmeoni? Such a beauty...." She saw the picture that he was holding on and awed in amazement.

 

"I think so too... I had always said that she is a beauty, but she insisted that I have a glib tongue." Ji Yong cracked a smile as he stared at the photo. "I bet she would be over the moon if you were there with me. She always asked me to find a girlfriend for her to see..."

 

"Chinjia? Then let's go visit her!"

 

"Well, then let's go to the heaven then." Ji Yong let out a dry chuckle.

 

"M-Mw... Omo... Mianhae..." Yoona felt guilty of her blunt comment.

 

"Ahhh. Pabo. It wasn't your fault at all. You don't even know she existed."

 

"How about your father or mother?" Yoona's brows were now furrowed as she continued to hug his back, but now resting her cheek against his back. 

 

"Mother? I don't have one... I have no collection of how she looked like... She left me the moment I was detached from her..." Ji Yong looked at the sky and began his story. "Father? I guess I couldn't exactly say that I have one... He was more of a stranger I guess..."

 

"So.... Your sirname belonged to him at least right?" Yoona asked softly. She was afraid that Ji Yong would break apart if she was to dig up even more of his past.

 

"Anniyo. Kwon was my Halmeoni's last name... Even my name was named by her..." Ji Yong gave a bitter smile. "Halmeoni was the light of my dark childhood. Without her, I would never be here...."

 

"But you're now here. Thanks to her. And I must thank her too.. Thank her for bringing up such an amazing boy. If not, I would never be able to meet you, to fall in love with you..." Yoona smiled as she turned Ji Yong around to face her, his face gently. "You're no longer alone now... You have me in your life now..."

 

"I know....And I'm thankful for this..." Ji Yong's eyes were moistened and so was Yoona. Ji Yong smiled and cleaned away her tears with his thumb as he pulled her in for a hug.

 

 

From then on, Yoona swore that she would never bring up this topic anymore. It was a scar of Ji Yong that would never be healed....

 

******

 

"Omo... Don't cry... I'm so sorry for you to hear our conversation... It's just our hideous past..." Yunho craddled Yoona in his arms as he tried to soothe her.

 

 

However, Yoona's tears kept falling uncontrollably. If only he knew how it felt like. To be abandoned, to not receive any family warmth...