XI

A Beautiful Mistake

Forgiveness

 

Ji Yong came running into the intensive care unit, panting away. He slowed his pace as he caught sight of Yoona. It was only a few hours ago that they had parted, and now, they are meeting in a hospital. How fate loves to play with them. After Yoona left, Ji Yong slumped into his bed and wandered into his own thoughts. It was the sound of his phone ringing that caused him to realise that he had fallen asleep. He picked up the call and all he heard was sobbings and wailings. He looked at his caller-id and found out that the person on the other line was Jessica.

 

Though he couldn't really make out what she was trying to say, he knew something must had gone terribly wrong in the Jungs. It wasn't normal for her to cry so loudly over the phone, asking for him to get to her side. The only time he recalled her doing that was when she met a relationship problem and the time when her loved ones were in mishapes. Given that her relationship with Changmin is really close now, Ji Yong figured out that it must be the latter. As he got into his car, starting the engine while trying to figure out some information amidst the sobbings, he finally heard words such as 'Yunho', 'Seoul Hospital ICU'. With that little information in mind, he sped off, towards Seoul Hospital. During the journey, he couldn't help but got worried. Something had happened to Yunho, and he prayed that Yoona is still safe and sound. It better not be something to do with them negotiating the terms of divorcement.

 

 

"Ji!" Jessica looked up and threw her arms around him.

 

"Noona..." Ji Yong softened as he rubbed her back. "What happen to Hyung?" He broke away from the hug after awhile and asked.

 

"H-He.... M-Min... sa-says... says... He-He...." Before she could even finish her sentence, she broke into tears again.

 

 

Ji Yong sighed as he rubbed her back, trying to soothe her again. He looked over to Yoona who was sitting on the rows of chairs, with a blank expression on her face. Her face had gone pale and at a closer look, he realised that she was shivering. It broke his heart to see her in this shape. He wanted to walk over to pull her into his embrace but knew better not to. It's not something that he should do now.

 

Changmin, who is Yunho's best friend and doctor-in-charge, came out of Yunho's ward afterwhich and approached Ji Yong, taking out his mask as he sighed.

 

 

"What's the condition, Hyung?" Ji Yong knew Changmin since he was young and together, the three of them would play and fool around. Changmin was like his own blood brother too.

 

"Not too good... He is contracted with T-cell Prolymphocytic Leukemia or T-PLL in short. It's a very rare and aggressive type of leukemia.... " Changmin let out another sigh and rubbed the bridge of his nose tiredly.

 

"Is there any treatment for it?" Ji Yong felt his blood ran cold. So this explains the blank expression on Yoona's face and the repeated cryings of Jessica.

 

"The basic: Chemotherapy. Of course, the best way is to have a bone marrow transplantation."

 

"Looking at your expression, I guess there isn't any suitable marrow for him. Am I right?"

 

"Yeahs. But I had put him in the front of the prioritised list. If there's any suitable ones, we would carry out with the transplantation immediately."

 

"Wh-What if he didn't receive the transplantation in time.." Ji Yong knew he shouldn't have brought this question up, but still, it's a fact that everyone must accept.

 

"Less than half a year..." Changmin lowered his voice, loud enough to let only Ji Yong hear. He didn't want to scare Jessica nor Yoona with this news.

 

 

Ji Yong just nodded briefly, expression stiff as his jaws became rigid.

 

Yunho had leukemia and if he didn't get transplantation, he would be left with only half a year more to go...

 

******

 

All of them went into the ward to visit Yunho. Even as a strong guy, Ji Yong's heart cringed at the sight of Yunho. He had always been a dashing young man, full of aspirations and dreams. Now, all he see, was a pale and haggard man lying on the hospital bed with different sorts of wires attached to him. He could only lie there, helplessly and lifelessly. The only movement from him was the rising and falling movement of his chest.

 

It was as though Yunho had some sixth sense or special sense that when they came in, he opened his eyes forcefully, looking at them. He raised his hands up, wanting to remove his oxygen mask. Even such simple action became so hard for him. Ji Yong was petrified at how a virus could totally wreck a heathly and fit person.... With the help of Changmin and Ji Yong, Yunho finally was able to sit up a little, removing his oxygen mask. He gave a smile to Yoona and then Jessica.

 

 

"N-Noona... Yo-You're so noisy out there. I could-could totally hear your wailings..." His breaths were ragged without the help of the oxygen mask and this simple sentence seemed to take him forever to say it out. Yet, despite him being so weak, he kept his smile on, pretending as though nothing had gone wrong.

 

"Y-Yah... I-It's all because of you!" Jessica too, attempted to sound normal, but failed miserably as she broke into tears for the nth times. "I-I'm sorry... Excused me..." She ran out of the ward, hands on . 

 

 

Yunho could only sigh and shook his head. "Min, thanks for ever-everything..." He tried clenching his fist this time round but it seemed like his will is not enough to keep him going. His fist came out limp and weak.

 

"Ahhh. I'm a doctor! What's there to thank me for. You'll be fine, Yun." Changmin gave a light punch against his fist before his arms give way. Being a doctor, Changmin did a perfect job in acting all normal.

 

"Still, I can't thank you enough..." Yunho smiled.

 

"Ah. I think I better go out to check on Sica... Catch you later." Changmin went out of the ward, leaving Ji Yong and Yoona behind.

 

 

Yunho watched Changmin walked out of the room and turned to Yoona, reaching out for her face. Without any hesitation, Yoona grabbed his hand and placed it on her face. Ji Yong felt a pang of jealousy hit his heart but ignored the feeling. He shouldn't be jealous of a sick person and whatsmore, who was he to get jealous? Yunho is her lawful husband now, not him.

 


"Did I scare you?" Despite him feeling tired already, Ji Yong could still see the sparkle in his eyes when he looked at her and touched her face gently.

 

"Yeahs... But it's fine now. As long as you're safe and sound..." Yoona put her hand over his and gave a weak smile. "Why didn't you tell me earlier..."

 

"I just know it myself a week ago... Besides, I don't want you guys to worry. Look at Noona now..." Yunho laughed lightly and suddenly started to cough madly.

 

"Oppa!"

 

The next moment, Yunho fainted and Changmin came rushing in with the nurses.

 

******

 

The news of Yunho's sickness seemed to have wash the past away. For the past few months, Yoona had been spending her time at work or in the hospital, taking care of Yunho. She didn't have the time nor the heart to talk about relationship now. The utmost priority now is Yunho's health. As long as Yunho could recover, everything else could wait.

 

Ji Yong on the other hand, spent his time on work and at the hospital too. He had asked Daesung to handle his photography studio for him, while he returned to Jung Cooperation to help Jessica with the business, given that Yunho, the chairman of the company is now on a long-term break. Most people did not know that Yunho's health was in a critical condition as it was decided among the Jung sibilings that it was best to keep this news undercovered. If this news was to spread, it would affect both the company shares and the workers' spirits, leaving the entire company in a state of panic. Hence, due to Jessica's repeated pleading and Yunho's request, Ji Yong decided to return to Jung Cooperation to help out. He had always been a fast-learner, so it didn't take him long to familiarize with the company's procedures.

 

Five months had passed. Still no sign of suitable bone marrow and neither had the chemotherapy worked. It all came down to patience and hope. Patience to wait, hope for a miracle. Yunho's health was detoriating day by day and it pained each and every one of his loved ones to see him trying to act normal, trying to do everything by his own but failed.

 

Just like any other days, Yoona was in the hospital accompanying Yunho for yet another chemotherapy. She was tired. Both mentally and physically. Still, she put on a brave front. The last thing she wanted was for Yunho to be worried about her. After the chemotherapy, Yunho fell asleep due to exhaustion and Yoona decided to catch a breather by the hospital garden. She needed some fresh air to clear her mind now.

 

 

"Gwenchana?" As she buried her face into her hands, trying all her might to stop the tears from falling, she felt a gentle pat on the shoulder.

 

She looked up and immediately wiped off the drop of tear that was in the corner of her eyes. "Gw-Gwenchana." She forced a smile.

 

The person was none other than Ji Yong. He took a seat beside her on the bench and kept his gaze in front him. "Do you know that research had shown that if you bottle your feelings up in your heart for a long time, your heart will explode one day?"

 

 

This comment made Yoona chuckled once and fell silent again. Soon, tears started to form in her eyes once again and she bit her lips hard.

 

 

"Come on, let it out. It's better." Ji Yong sighed and turned to face her, pulling her into his arms.

 

"P-Pabo! Did-Didn't you say to remain as stra-strangers?!! Didn't you say to-to be just... just my brother-in-law?!!" Yoona's tears flowed out uncontrollably as she began to hit Ji Yong hard on his back. "Th-Then why are you still hugging me?!!"

 

"Just this once.... Just one last time...." Ji Yong closed his eyes and hugged her tighter.

 

 

Finally, Yoona stopped hitting him and crumbled into his arms as she cried her heart out. She rested her cheeks on his back. Just this once. Just this one time...

 

******

 

"I'm leaving...." After a long while, they broke away reluctantly, avoiding each other's eyes as they stared at the pond.

 

"To where..."

 

"America. Jung Cooperation is venturing into the global market. Noona wants me to head over to America to see to the projects there. Setting a main office there had always been Hyung's dream..."

 

"How about your own photography studio?"

 

"I'm leaving it under Daesung's care for the time being. Once Hyung had recovered, I would return to my own business. Accomplishing his wish now is the utmost priority..."

 

"How long would you be there then..."

 

"Not too sure. Two years for short, 5 years for long..."

 

"When are you leaving?"

 

"A week from now. 9am flight."

 

"What would happen to us then..."

 

"Yoona ah, I always thought that humans control their own fate. But through this, there's no way I could believe that anymore... Our fate are all controlled by god. We ending up with who, our careers, our family... It's all decided by god himself.  And in this life, your destiny is Hyung. So much had been through and look, you're still holding on to his hands. Our meeting, is just a mistake from the start... It's not as if we hadn't tried, but look how it turned out. Through this incident, I realised how fragile life is and we should really treasure those around us... For you, the person would be Yunho Hyung..." Ji Yong took her face in his hands and softened his gaze. "If my love for you is giving you so much stress now, I would take it all back. But I promise that in the next life, I'll make you my girl. Definitely."

 

"The moment I knew about his illness, I knew there's no turning back for us. You're right. Our fate had been decided right from the start. I would be a dutiful wife from now on and you would be my brother-in-law. That's our destiny for this life. I'll remember this."

 

"Great.... Remember, Im Yoona is the bravest girl..." Ji Yong planted a gentle kiss on her forehead and walked off cooly, while his tears fell.

 

 

Yoona watched Ji Yong as he walked away, further and further from her. Despite the pain in her heart, she kept her smile on. In another life perhaps. In another life, they would be together. As lovers.

 

******

 

Both parties kept their promises, keeping their relationship as sister-in-law,brother-in-law relationship. Ji Yong had been busy arranging things for his America trip and Yoona as usual, keeping herself busy with work and Yunho. They had minimal contact with each other, simply because they were afraid that even a mere phone call would trigger their old flames.

 

And with that, one week passed... Yoona as promised, did not turn up to send Ji Yong off, but was instead in the hospital, accompanying Yunho.

 

 

"Ji Yong is going America today?" Yunho, compared to any other days, was in better spirits.

 

"Yeahs. He should be checking in already." Yoona smiled, his face.

 

"Why aren't you sending him off then?"

 

"Aunty Kim is there to send him off, and besides, if I were to go, who would be here taking care of you?"

 

"Chinjia? Or is it because you're afraid that once you witness his departure, your heart would ache?" For the first time ever since his illness, Yunho opened up about Ji Yong and Yoona's relationship.

 

"E-Eh? An-Anniyo..."

 

"I may be sick, but that doesn't mean I'm blind, Yoona-sshi." Yunho flashed his usual charming smile at her.

 

"Oppa!" Yoona pouted as she hit his arm gently. "There's nothing on between us already... Everything is a past..."

 

"Yoona ah, what do you think of my illness?" Yunho suddenly brought up the question.

 

"I...."

 

"I want nothing but the truth."

 

"I... Oppa, I think somehow, I'm the cause of it... If it wasn't me who agitated you the other day, perhaps, you won't even land up here and become so sick..." Yoona had her head down, not daring to look at Yunho.

 

"Come, look at me..." Yunho held her chin up. "It's not your fault at all. I knew I'm going to end up like that sooner or later. Perhaps, this is what they call retribution... I was the one who broke you and Ji up and now...."

 

"Say no more, Oppa. It's the past. I'm your wife now. This is a fact that none of us can or want to change." Yoona put a finger on his lips to cut him off. "Besides, it's not entirely your fault. You did all you could to amend for your mistake... Loving and adoring me..."

 

"Yoona ah....."

 

"Hmmm?"

 

"Have you ever love me before?"

 

 

Yoona was shocked by the sudden question that it took her awhile to respond. As she thought about the answer, she realised that actually, she no longer hate Yunho. She didn't know since when, but the hatred for him just disappear... In fact, she did try to fall in love with him. When she decided to accept his proposal, she told herself that she would accept him into her life, make him the guy in her life. True, he acted as Ji Yong's replacement in the beginning, but as time passed, she really did somehow fall in love with him, before she knew about the misunderstandings though.

 

 

"I did try and I did. But...."

 

"As long as you did love me before, it's enough...." Yunho cut her off, patting her hand. "Yoona ah, can you please pass me the envelope in the drawer?"

 

"Eh? You're just done with one round of chemo... You should rest Oppa..." Yoona pouted but nonetheless opened the side drawer to take the brown envelope out. "What is in it?"

 

"Open it up. It's for you."

 

"Op-Oppa..." Yoona's eyes were wide with shock as she saw the content of the document. "Wh-What is this..."

 

"Yoona ah. I'm letting you go... Letting you pursue your own happiness... I had taken too much of your youth and bliss..." Yunho patted her hands and gave a weak smile.

 

"O-Oppa! You're my happiness! You're my bliss!" Yoona broke into tears and held his hands tight. "Don't ab-abandon me like my parents did!"

 

"Yoona ah... I'm not abandoning you. I'm just letting you go to find your happiness. I can give you happiness, but it's not those type that you want..." Yunho wiped her tears away with his thumb. "Giving you this divorcement paper doesn't mean that I'm giving this relationship between us a fullstop. Even if it's a fullstop, there's always a new paragraph right? Or a new story even. I just want you to know that, every one has the right to be happy, to be with someone who really loves. You love me Yoona. But your love for me and for Ji Yong is different."

 

"Oppa...."

 

"Don't try to convice me anymore. I had spent a huge effort trying to sign that paper. I had applied for single party divorcement. In another 3 more weeks, if I'm still in hospital, this document would be off immediate effect, given that we had slept separately for 6months already." Yunho put his finger on her lips. "Yoona ah, go now... There's still time. Go and find Ji Yong back. Tell him that you would be with him. You won't ever separate with him again. This is the best I can give you already..."

 

"But Oppa...." Yoona's vision was already being blurred with her tears. Indeed, Yunho loved her. Much more than she had imagined. All these love, was already enough to atone for his misgivings. She grabbed hold of the divorcement agreement hard and clung onto Yunho's arms.

 

"Just go!" Yunho shouted and pushed her away with all the strength he had left. "Noona!" He had his back faced her as he shouted for Jessica who came rushing in.

 

"Oppa..." Yoona still stood there, crying.

 

"Yoona ah, you should go. Listen to him..." Jessica stood by Yunho's side and told Yoona in a depressed tone. "Go now. There's still time. The chauffeur is waiting outside for you."

 

 

Yoona looked at the siblings and seeing how determined they were, she nodded and started running towards the exit.

 

 

"Are you sure about this?" Jessica sighed as she held Yunho's hands.

 

"I had never been so sure in my entire time." Yunho gave a smile as he looked at the exit.  'Be brave, Im Yoona... I believe you can do it...'

 

******

 

'Kwon Ji Yong, you better wait for me... Yunho Oppa, I won't let you down...' Yoona looked out at the fast passing sceneries as she wrapped her finger around the ring on her neck.

 

******

 

Last call for Flight US5916. Passengers please proceed to Gate A3 for departure... 

 

"Take care of yourself, Second young master." Aunty Kim pulled Ji Yong into a hug. A hug so tight that he found himself hard to breath.

 

"Araso araso. I'm out of breath Aunty Kim." Ji Yong coughed a few times, struggling in her hug.

 

"Opps! Mianhae!" Aunty Kim immediately released her grip and wiped the tear in her eyes. "You should get going now."

 

"Gomawoyo Aunty Kim. Even though I'm not really close with you, I know that you're someone who is really emotional. And you watched me grow up, so you're like half a mother to me... I'll miss you." Ji Yong smiled as he hugged Aunty Kim. He was grateful that at least someone came to send him off. Though she was being instructed by Jessica to do that, he was still thankful for her appearance.

 

"Ahhh. I'll miss you too. When you come back, I'll make your favourite Kimbap wrap for you." Aunty Kim broke into a smile and patted his back.

 

"I'll count you on that!" With that, Ji Yong waved goodbye to her and walked towards the departure gate, checking in.

 

 

He turned and looked at the vast surroundings. This would be the last scene he would see of Korea... Two years, five years, he didn't know. He wished he could see Yoona for the last time, but knew it was impossible. They had promised that this life, they were not going to be together. He was the one who told her not to send him off. Why is he being so wishy-washy about it now? He ruffled his hair and turned back, getting the passport from the security officer, walking into the departure gates.

 

 

"KWON JI YONG!!"

 

He turned around at the instant and was met by a tight but sweet embrace. He was shocked at first but softened after he took in the familiar smell of her scent. He didn't care about whatever last call or departure. All he knew was, he wanted to hold this girl in his arms now. No matter how long it would take, no matter how hard would their life be later on...

 

 

The girl was none other than Im Yoona.