VII.

A Beautiful Mistake

Darkest Secrets

 

"I-I'm done~" Yoona had her head bent down, in a hope that she wouldn't be recognised as she linked her hands around Yunho's arm.

 

"Oh. You-You're done?" Yunho seemed to be a little taken aback by Yoona's touch as he cackled.

 

 

Gyuri was looking at them all these while. As she bent down, trying to catch a glimpse of who the girl was. Finally, her wish was fulfilled. She too, turned slightly pale.

 

 

"Y-Yoona?!" She exclaimed.

 

"An-Annyeonghaesaeyo Gyuri-sshi... L-Long time no see..." Yoona bit her lips hard and looked up, forcing a thin curved line on her face.

 

"You-You girls knew each other?" Yunho raised his brows as he tilted his head, shooting a confused look at Yoona.


 

 

Yoona shot a panic glance at Gyuri who caught and reacted readily to it.

 

 

"Oh yeahs. We met each other back in New York. She was still a young and vibrant girl then. Well, and now, look at you, all grown up. A mature and gorgeous lady. It had been a long while indeed... 4 years..." Gyuri gave Yoona a friendly smile. "So, Yunho is your...."

 

"He's my husband." Yoona was quick in replying this question. "I'm married already..." She looked down and touched her wedding ring, trying to gain some comfort from it.

 

"MWUH?! M-MARRIED?!!" Gyuri's mouth hung wide open in shock. However, she regained her composure almost instantly. "Uhm... Pardon me... I'm a little... a little taken aback..." She fake coughed a few times and narrowed her eyes at Yunho. "I'm staying here for another week or maybe more. Let's have lunch on one of the days."

 

"A-Alrights.." Yunho shot her an approving stare before grabbing Yoona by the arm, pulling her away.

 

 

Yoona took a quick bow at Gyuri and allowed Yunho to pull her away, wondering why was Yunho being so flustered upon meeting Gyuri too. Gyuri watched as the pair walked away quickly. She sighed deeply.

 

 

"Anything happened while I was gone?" A pair of warm arms slided around her waist and a comforting voice was heard.

 

"Nothing. Just happened to meet two of my old friends... It had been ages since I last saw them..." Gyuri turned around and gave a plastered smile.

 

"I see... Yunho and Yoona?" Jay's expression became gloomy and rubbed her shoulders as she nodded slowly. "Babe, it had been so long already. Stop blaming yourself. That incident  wasn't entirely your fault... You don't wish to see it happen either. It was an accident..."

 

"I know... But..."

 

"Alrights. We should not dwell on this anymore. I'm starving. Let's go and grab a bite!" Jay put a finger on her lips and gave her an encouraging smile.

 

"Yes sir!" Gyuri finally perked up and gave her husband a bright smile, linking her arms around his in bliss. She thanked god for the appearance of Jay Park when she was at her darkest moment...

 

******

 

"Oppa. Oppa. Yunho Oppa!" Yoona gave Yunho's arm a little shake as she called out to him. For the entire trip from the exhibition centre to the restaurant, conversations between them were minimial. Yunho kept his hands on the steering wheel and the clutch stick as he drove, eyes fixated on the road in front of him, brows furrowed, deep in thoughts. Yoona looked at him and wanted to speak up, only to find her lips opened and closed again after a few seconds.

 

"N-Neh!" Yunho snapped out of his thoughts, startled as he broke into a nervous smile.

 

"Oppa, is anything amiss? You seem distracted ever since we left the exhibition centre..." Yoona pouted as she placed her hand over his. She was worried. Why would Yunho react this way after the short conversation with Gyuri? Did he already know the things that had happened between her, Gyuri and Ji Yong? That couldn't be. If he had known beforehand, he wouldn't have been surprise when he knew that they were acquainted.

 

"A-Anniyo. Just a little under the weather." Yunho gave yet another smile that barely reached his eyes.

 

"Oh... Let's finish this meal quickly and return home then." Yoona picked up the menu that was placed on the table. "By the way, you know Gyuri-sshi?" She browsed through it as she spoke, trying to sound as indifferent as possible.

 

"Gyuri? Oh yeahs. We used to study in the same high school before..." Yunho's jaws stiffened as he let out a chuckle. "Such a small world isn't it? We having a mutual friend..."

 

 

Their lunch was ordered and brought to them within minutes. As they began to dig in, Yunho brought up a sensitive topic.

 

 

"You know... Gyuri had a past with... Ji Yong..." Yunho trailed off, hanging the sentence in mid air.

 

 

This caused Yoona to stop cutting her steak for a moment and froze her knife and fork. "Oh. Really?" She feigned ignorance and continued to slice the steak, putting a piece into as she savoured the taste.

 

 

"Yeahs... She loved him so deeply in the past. But oh well, things just didn't work out in the end." Yunho' sighed as he raised his glass up, taking a gulp of water to clear his throat. "Yoona ah, I was thinking if you would like to bring forward our Rome trip. I had finished my work and make the necessary arrangements already. It would be perfect if we could set off in two days time."

 

"Eh? Why are you in such a rush?" Yoona cleaned with the serviette and raised her brows. "And about that, Oppa, I'm really sorry... I totally forgot that next Saturday would be Yul's birthday! Seungri had specifically instructed me not to be missing on that day because he had already organized an event for her. So...."

 

"You couldn't make it for the trip already?" Yunho gave a disappointed gaze at Yoona.

 

"Mianhae.... I promise I would make it up. We can always go the week after next." Yoona gave an apologetic smile as she held his hands.

 

"Guess like that seems to be the only way out I guess~" Yunho held her hands tightly in his and shrugged in defeat.

 

******

 

/Yubbosaeyo?/

 

/Yoona-sshi!/

 

/Oh! Daesung-sshi! Did anything happened?/

 

/Anniyo! Just wanted to inform you that the exhibition was a huge success and your artpiece had successfully been auctioned off at a high price of 100 thousand won./

 

/J-Jeongmal?! Thanks for informing me! Can I know who is the buyer? I really want to thank him in person./

 

/Not a problem at all! You totally deserved it. Er... I'm afraid not... The buyer did not want to disclose his identity. He just wanted to be known as Mr J. He also stated that this was for charity purpose and he really appreciate your artwork. So, there isn't a need for you to thank him./

 

/Oh....I see.. Alrights... But still, I really couldn't thank him enough./

 

/I would definitely convey your gratitude to him. It had been a joy working with you. I hope we will have the chance to collaborate again./

 

/It had been a great pleasure working with you too! I hope so too.../

 

/Okays! I shall not disturb you already. Have a good night rest!/

 

/You too!/

 

 

Yoona hung the phone call, a huge grin spreaded across her face. Her first artpiece had been auctioned off successfully and at a relative high price too! She was glad and relieved. Then again, she felt a little disappointed. Disappointed that she was unable to thank the person who bought her artpiece personally. The person was so generous and had a heart of gold. She admired such person. Not asking for any repays when he offered his help. But still, she was curious about the identity of the person. Mr J...

 

 

"What is my gorgeous wife thinking about now?" Yunho stepped out of the bathroom and hugged her from behind, cutting her train of thought.

 

"Nothing! Daesung-sshi just called and informed me that my artpiece had been auctioned off!" Yoona exclaimed excitedly.

 

"Oh really? Congrats!"

 

"But he wanted to remain anonymous. He only identified himself as Mr.J...." Yoona pouted and remained silent. "Oppa! Is it you? Mr.J. Mr Jung!"

 

"Wow. I wished I was the one if I knew that you would be that elated and admire him that much." Yunho raised his hands up in mock defeat. "It's not me, Mrs Jung. There's lots of other 'Mr Js' out there you know."

 

"Are you sure it's not you?" Yoona folded her arms across her chest and raised her brows in doubt. "You're the only possible candidate that I had thought off."

 

"Come on! It's not me. You already gave the order of not buying your artpiece. I wouldn't have the guts to do that seriously." Yunho laughed.

 

"Hmmm. Alrights then. I shall let you off this time round." Yoona stuck her tongue out as she got onto the bed, ready to turn in. Slowly, she drifted off to sleep, thinking of the mysterious Mr. J....

 

******

 

The night had ended for Yoona but it certainly was just the beginning for Ji Yong. He strolled along the 89th street and finally, made a turn at the end of the street, entering into his 'heaven'. 'Seventh Haven', was different from other nightclubs in Seoul. It was a dingy and dank little nightclub, located a little far off the main streets of Seoul, almost hidden in an unknown corner. Yet, it gave Ji Yong a 'homey' feeling. A warm and familiar feeling that he rarely felt.

 

Once Ji Yong stepped into the club, loud and blaring music was heard, providing a backdrop for the clinking of glasses and drone-like chatter of hundreds of best friends, ex lovers, lovers, strangers. The intermingled smells of smoke and sweat assaulted his nostrils as he inhaled deeply and smirked. It was all too familiar to him. He weaved past the throngs of people that flooded the dancefloor, finding his way to the empty barstool. His usual spot.

 

 

"A little later than usual huh?" The bartender or rather, the owner of 'Seventh Haven', shot him a smirk as he handed him a cup of martini. Once again, his usual.

 

"Yeahs. Had an exhibition today." Ji Yong smirked and took over the drink, gulping it down effortlessly. "Hyung, I need something stronger than this tonight."

 

"Yah Kwon Ji Yong. How many times do I have to make myself clear that my Seventh Haven isn't some place for you to get dead drunk?" The older guy shot him a look of disapproval as he wiped the glasses meticulously. "Get'da hell out of here if you just wanna drown your troubles."

 

"Hyung! You know that ain't what I meant... It's just..."

 

"Yo dude! Already started without me? How could you!" A light slap was felt on Ji Yong's back and a low and throaty voice was heard. "Dong Wook Hyung! Did our dear Ji Yonggie get on your nerves again?" The guy laughed as he took a seat beside Ji Yong, striking a conversation with the older guy immediately.

 

"Yeahs. You seriously got to teach him the enjoyment of the club, Seung Hyun. He's such a bad drinker but yet he wanted a stronger mix. I ain't going to carry him back home like the previous time seriously. He could just lie in the street for the night for all I care." The older guy rolled his eyes and sighed in exasperation.

 

 

Ji Yong looked at the both of them and a defeated smile spreaded across his face. These were the Chois Brothers. Choi Dong Wook and Choi Seung Hyun. Choi Dong Wook, or better known as Se7en to the usual patroners of the club. Choi Seung Hyun, or better known as the charismatic T.O.P to all, is the younger brother of Dong Wook. Together, they ran the 'Seventh Haven', though technically speaking, Dong Wook is the owner of the club. Seung Hyun didn't bothered about the operations of the club. All he bothered was to bring some fun into the nights of those clubbers. DJ-ing is in his blood. Ji Yong and Seung Hyun had been best of friends, though they started off with a huge fight that caused each of them to leave a scar on their arm. Ji Yong had always been confident of his looks ever since he was young. Well, it was only when he stood beside these two guys, had he felt inferior about his appearances. Hell yeah. These two brothers have awesome genes. Dong Wook is around 5.10ft, accompanied with a pair of lean arms muscles. He swept girls off their feet with that pair of warm hazel-brown eyes of his. The pair of warm hazel brown eyes that arched into little crescents when he gave a smile. He gave off the warm and friendly vibe. His brother, was a total opposite. Seung Hyun, 6.1ft. tall, with a total 'DJ-like' hairstyle. A clean crew cut dyed in turquoise. Just like his brother, Seung Hyun's eyes were the highlights.  Even as a guy, Ji Yong had to admit that his gaze could kill. He had a pair of charismatic dark-brown eyes. Oh. Not to mention his trademark piercing glare, that made girls' heart stop. For people who didn't know him well, would most probably shun away from him. He gave off the really cool vibe.

 

That's why Ji Yong felt that 'Seventh Haven' gave him a home feeling. It was one of the very few places he could be at ease. In here, he could be himself with absolutely no pretendence. No one would judge him. At times, the two brothers even offered their most truthful comments. The two brothers were one of the few people that he could entrust his secrets to. They treated him like their little brother.

 

 

"Alrights. I guess I've got to just stick to my martini for tonight I guess?" Ji Yong raised his glass up and tilted his head.

 

"You bet." Seung Hyun laughed and knocked his glass against his, making a 'click' sound as they drained the content in their glasses.

 

******

 

Round after round of drinking and chatting, Ji Yong felt light-headed. The drinks made him felt like there was warmth running through his veins as he laid his warm cherry cheeks restlessly against the cold marble bartop table, in a vain attempt of cooling himself down.

 

"Man, this guy's tolerance level for alcohol sure is low." Dong Wook shook his head.

 

"Hyunggggg. I'm j-just a little tipsyyyyy~" Ji Yong slurred as he held up yet another glass, stared at the liquid in it listlessly before gulping it down at one go. "Look. I can still drink. Sweet~" He tilted his empty glass upside down, hiccuped, making a little wet sound.

 

"Ji, What's wrong with you? You're acting like a piece of today." Seung Hyung grimaced as he shot his brother a helpless look.

 

"Beats me either. The moment he came in, he attacked my martinis." Dong Wook shrugged his shoulders. "Oh wait. He told me something about having an exhibition today."

 

 

The two brothers exchanged glances and darted their gazes back to Ji Yong, who now had his eyes closed mumblings some unknown chantings as the cacophonic sounds from the nightclub became distant to him. Both brothers softened their gazes on him. This must had something to do with the girl. The Yoona girl to be more precise. The Chois weren't people who would pry into others' privacy. They didn't exactly know what happened between Ji Yong and that girl. Only snapshots of it when Ji Yong felt the need to express his feelings. The girl's name, her appearance, her attitudes. From his descriptions, they figured out that she was a beauty. A rare beauty in fact. Though they were curious about the things that happened between them, they knew better not to confront him. If he wanted to share, he would have jolly well just tell them everything. There wasn't a need to force the truth out from him. All they knew was that, this girl certainly had made a huge impact in his life.

 

 

"I'm not going to be the one to send him home this time round." Dong Wook groaned. "I wouldn't want to be sleeping on the cold floor today. My weakening body isn't going to take it."

 

"I know I know. I wouldn't want Han Byul Noona to throw you out of the room again because of the stinky vomit smell on your body either." Seung Hyun gave a guttural laugh as he stood up, supporting Ji Yong by the arms. "I'll see you back home in a while."

 

"Yeahs. Make sure you wash yourself up first if any 'mishapes' got onto you." Dong Wook chuckled as he punched his fist with his brother.

 

"I bet he is too tired and depressed to even make a mess." Seung Hyun gave a glance at Ji Yong who was still soundly asleep beside him and laughed along with his brother. 

 

******

 

The week passed by quickly as Yoona was back to her usual self, throwing the coincidental meeting with Gyuri behind her head, immersing into her Graphics business. Ji Yong on the other hand was busy as usual, tying up loose ends for the exhibition and spent his free time either taking photographs or in 'Seventh Haven' drinking and fooling around with the guys. Yoona kept her words, not meeting him nor contacting Ji Yong ever since the exhibition was over. Ji Yong too, made no attempt to contact her and chose to let that night's incident fell into the 'dream' category. It was as though they were back into the past, before Ji Yong appeared in her wedding chapel. Yunho was distracted and listless these few days and Yoona even caught him secretly talking on the phone on several occasions. He sounded vexed over the phone. Yoona thought that he was hiding something from her but shrugged her doubts away too quickly. He is her husband. And trust is the most basic thing among couples.

 

Saturday came by quickly and Yoona was getting all dressed up for Yuri's birthday party. It was a surprised birthday party organized by Seungri. Seungri had begged Yoona for days to accomply with him, only coming into terms when he finally agreed to treating her a month supply of Korean premium beefs. Yoona laughed at the thought of it. This best friend of hers had definitely fallen in love. Deeply in fact. She always felt that Yuri is a kind and caring girl, and genuinely hoped that she would be the girl in her best friend's life.

 

With the final touch of lip-gloss on her lips, Yoona took her bag and headed out. Yunho wasn't fetching her as he claimed that he had some leftover work to be done in the office and would be joining her at the nightclub a little later. Yoona figured out that she would be drinking tonight and hence, she decided to just walk. Taking a walk in the cool evening seemed like a pleasant idea to her anyway. She strolled along the streets of Seoul with a cup of strawberry smoothie in her hand, passing by thousands of gloomy people who were on their way home from a day of tiring and mundane work.

 

Then, she stopped at a traffic junction. The crisp air surrounded her as she gazed at the fiery colors of the setting sun melt into a moonlit, star studded canvas. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. As she turned her body and was about to cross the road, she stopped. Her gaze focused on the cafeteria located directly opposite the road. Or more rather, she was staring at the two people who were sitting alongside the windows of the cafeteria.

 

She bit her lips hard clenched her fist around the strawberry smoothie, making a dent on the plastic cup. She dropped the smoothie on to the ground, making a soft 'thud' sound. Heavy-hearted, she pulled out her phone and her fingers trembled as she started pressing the buttons. The call was picked by within 2 rings.

 

/Yubbosaeyo?/

 

/O-Oppa...Whe-Where are you?/

 

/Me? I'm still in-in the office. I'm almost done. I'll reach there in an hour's time./

 

/I see... Are.. Are you sure you're in the office? Are you by any chance having some meetings in the....Cafeteria?/

 

/Cafeteria? O-Of course not! Why would I be doing at a cafeteria at such hour!/

 

/Oh... Okays... Then, I-I think I'll see you at the nightclub?/

 

/Yups! Oh right. Yoona ah!/

 

/Yeahs? Do you have anything to tell me?/

 

/Oh nothing! Just wanted to tell you to have fun but I remembered that I would be joining you later anyway./

 

/Okays..../

 

 

Yoona hung up the call, hot tears streamed down her face. She clutched the phone tightly in her hand, eyes still staring at the two people. A guy who had just hung up the phone coincidentally like she did and a girl who was sitting opposite him, giving a displeased look. Yoona couldn't believe the scene in front of her, but her eyes weren't playing a trick on her.

 

Her husband, whom she thought had loved her with all of his heart, was lying through his teeth.

 

Her husband,whom she thought had loved her with all of his heart, was lying to her. So effortlessly and comfortably.

 

Her husband, whom she thought had loved her with all of his heart, was lying to her, to meet another woman.

 

Her husband, whom had held her hands and pledged his love for her in the altar, was now holding the hands of another woman. A woman that she knew even.

 

 

That explained his distracted attitude for the past few days.

 

 

Yunho was having an affair with Gyuri.