She

Bittersweet and Crazy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jessi? Is that you?" Tiffany stood just a few steps away from Jessica.

 

"Steph?" Jessica turned to look at girl; she knew that voice.

 

"What happened to us Jessi?" The girl was clearly upset, her eyes were a dead give away. Jessica could not see the twinkle in the younger girl's eyes.

 

"Steph...I--" 

 

"Unnie." 

 

"Unnie?" Jessica looked at her confused.

 

Jessica tossed and turned in bed with her korilakkuma bear wrapped around her arms. She was too clouded by her sleep to even differentiate her dreams and reality.

 

"Unnie, Iruna. We're going to be late."

 

"Yah Sica, get up or I'll slip some cucumbers into your breakfast."

 

Jessica eyes shot open at the sound of cucumbers; it forced the girl to sit up with korilakkuma in her arms. She shivered at the thought of eating cucumbers. She hated cucumbers.

 

"See it took me less than a minute to get her up." Jessica was greeted by the sight of 2 figures in her room. "You should know by now how to wake her up."

 

Yoona and Sunny stood just a few feet away from Jessica's bed. Sunny was further away in case the latter tried to jump at her for the mean wake up call.

 

"Sleepyhead get ready. We have to leave in half an hour." Sunny nagged.

 

"Yah, Soonkyu." Jessica glared at the girl. Sunny ignored the glare. She was immune to Jessica's glares; it was something she had gotten used to over the eight years of knowing the girl.

 

When Jessica moved to South Korea to continue her studies, she attended Shinhwa Academy—the famous boarding school. There she met Sunny and Hyoyeon; they were her roommates.

 

"I'll give you 15 minutes. We still have to get SooJung's things into the car." Sunny says. "Speaking of...Morning SooJung-ah." Sunny greeted the younger Jung on her way out.

 

"Good morning Sunny Unnie, Yoona Unnie." Krystal greeted the older girls as she approached the room. "Oh, Unnie you're awake." Jessica readjusted her vision and looked towards the doorway.  

 

"SooJungie,"Jessica gave her baby sister a tired smile. Krystal stood in the doorway while drying her damp hair with a towel and smiled back. The younger Jung had woken up an hour earlier to shower and get ready for the day ahead of them. For today's outfit, Krystal wore a plain white t-shirt and skinny jeans. Like her Unnie, Krystal is a bit of a fashionista herself. She mostly sports a casual chic style.

 

"How'd you sleep last night?" Jessica asked as she rubbed away the sleepiness from her eyes.

 

"Surprisingly good. I didn't get much sleep on plane and we didn't sleep early last night either. I slept like a baby. " Krystal replied with a smile as she walked into the room and continued to get ready.

 

"Unnie you better get ready. You heard Sunny Unnie. We still have to load SooJung's things into the car." Yoona says.

 

"I'm sorry I didn't wake up the first time," Jessica apologized to Yoona. Jessica together with Yoona and the others picked up Krystal from the airport yesterday evening and took her back to the apartment. They stayed up a little too late than they had intended. Krystal was catching up with everyone and finally got to meet Sooyoung and Seohyun in person. She had only met Seohyun and Sooyoung through pictures and face time calls. Yoona and Seohyun ended up staying over and slept in the living room.

 

"It's alright Unnie. We know how much you love your sleep." Yoona teased.  "Anyway, Hyoyeon Unnie, and Joohyun made breakfast. You better hurry before Sooyoung Unnie finishes it all. You too SooJung."

 

"Yah I heard that!" The three girls looked at each other and laughed. They didn't need to see who it was to recognize the voice. "But she's right. You better hurry up Sica!" Sooyoung called out from the dining room.

 

"Yah! Save us some food too! " Jessica called out.

 

"Get your over here." Sooyoung retorted.

 

"Save me some food will you?" Jessica looked to Yoona who nodded.

 

"I'll try but I can't make any promises." Yoona laughed before exiting the room.

 

"SooJung-ah, you should go out there with Yoona before Sooyoung eats everything." Jessica says while getting out of bed.

 

"Dae Unnie." Krystal replied. Jessica made the bed and did not forget to tuck her korilakkuma into bed with the covers before washing up and changing. 

 

Today was Freshman orientation and move-in day for incoming students. It was also the weekend before the school year would start. Krystal had applied to seven schools. Four schools in the states and three schools internationally—all schools in Korea.

 

Krystal was accepted to all the schools she applied to. In the end, she chose Yonsei. Her biggest reason was because her Unnie attends there, which is why it was her first choice. She and Jessica are very close. Wherever Jessica went Krystal was there to follow. It had been like that since they were kids, until Jessica decided to go to boarding school.

 

Jessica attended school in Korea from 7th grade all the way to high school. She would come home during her breaks from school to see her family.

 

At first, Krystal was upset with Jessica for leaving her behind. However, as time went by, she became more understanding of her Unnie. In fact, the distance between them strengthened their relationship as sisters—if that was even possible; they're already close as it is. 

 

Jessica always remembered to call home every night before Krystal went to sleep. She wrote letters to Krystal to make the distance between them bearable. Of course phone calls and letters couldn't replace the times Jessica came home from school. Those times were moments Krystal cherished the most. This led her to applying to schools in Korea. She missed her sister for the 8 years that she was away at school. So when she got accepted to Yonsei, it didn't matter that she got accepted to the other schools she applied to. She was going to Yonsei and that was final.

 

***

 

"Hurry up! We're late." Jessica dragged Krystal's luggage out of the trunk and headed towards the dormitory where a group of people wearing blue vests came together in one area.

 

"Is she sick or something? She's actually doing manual labor." Sooyoung pointed out.

 

"Wasn't she the one who woke up late?" Hyoyeon added as she looped around the car and joined the rest.

 

"I think she just remembered she's one of the orientation leaders. " Yoona said, while the others nodded their heads and finally understood the older girl's actions. Jessica could be a perfectionist when it comes to school related things.

 

"That sleepyhead." Sunny shook her head and laughed. "We're all orientation leaders here. Well, minus SooJung."

 

"But she's the head of all the orientation leaders and volunteers." Yoona pointed out.

 

"Right, I forgot about that," Sunny shrugged.

 

"Um, I don't know about you four but I think we should hurry before her Royal Highness drags us there." Sooyoung says. "I don't want to feel the wrath of the Ice Princess this early in the morning."

 

"Ice Princess?" Krystal looked at the four older girls with confusion.

 

"You'll see once we get there." Hyoyeon says to Krystal. Krystal nodded trusting Hyoyeon's words.

 

True to her word, Krystal witnessed the Ice Princess in full command. Jessica had rounded up all of the orientation leaders and volunteers in a circle and was giving instructions. Everyone was silent and gave Jessica their full and undivided attention. The atmosphere was kind of tense.

 

"Parents are coming with their student soon so I want  people posted up at the check in tables, there should be a handful of people at the entrance to help with moving luggage and another group escorting students and their families to the grand hall after they've finished settling in." Jessica was in Ice Princess mode, which meant keep quiet and do not speak unless spoken to or granted permission to speak. 

 

Krystal watched her Unnie in awe. She'd never seen this side of her Unnie partly because her Unnie was the exact opposite of what she saw now compared to the Unnie is used to whenever they were together. This strong, Icy aura that she was putting up in front of the other leaders and volunteers, was definitely far from Jessica's actual personality. The Jessica, rather Sooyeon, Krystal knew was playful, a little timid, caring, warm, yet also fragile. For Krystal, It was definitely an interesting sight to see.

 

"I sent an e-mail out to everyone yesterday afternoon with a roster everyone's assigned post . If you didn't check your emails earlier you can ask Seohyun and she'll tell you where you should be. Questions?"

 

"Did the Ice Princess not get enough sleep?" Jessica rolled her eyes at the question.

 

"If there are none relating to what I've instructed, meeting adjourned. Go to your designated positions." With that final statement everyone dispersed from the group. Some went to their posts while others crowded Seohyun.

 

"That wasn't very nice your highness. You didn't answer my question."  Jessica was approached by the pretty boy who asked the question earlier.

 

"Well the Ice Princess isn't obligated to answer questions from her subjects." She says not forgetting to hit the guy on the arm.

"I take it the Ice Princess overslept this morning." He said with a laugh.

 

"Bingo." Hyoyeon shoots the guy a wink followed a thumbs up.

 

"Yah!" Jessica shot the two glares, but they ignored it.

 

"Hey Jongie Oppa," Yoona greeted. Shortly after Yoona greeted Jonghyun, Sunny, Sooyoung, and Hyoyeon greeted him.

 

"Morning ladies." Jonghyun greeted with a smile, "Who do we have here?" Jonghyun shifted his attention to the new face in the group. 

 

"I'm Krystal Jung." Krystal bowed her head.

 

"Ah, a Jung." He smiled. " I wondered when I'd finally meet Jessica's beloved baby sister." Jonghyun was about to take Krystal's hand to greet the younger Jung but was stopped.

 

"Yah, Jong. Emphasis on My baby sister." Jessica says while slapping his hands away from Krystal's. She shot him a warning glare.

 

Jonghyun laughed, "So Icy this morning, are we now?"

 

"Ah, You're Unnie's best friend, the one she met during orientation. Kim Jonghyun right?" Krystal asked.

 

"The one and only."

 

"Sadly." Jessica retorted.

 

"Unnie's mentioned your name in conversation whenever we talk."

 

"I hope she's said only good words." He said with a smile.

 

"Stop flirting with my sister and get to work Jong." Jessica says. " I believe you're helping with transporting luggage."

 

"You would put me to do manual labor." Jonghyun sighed. "And here I thought I was your best friend. What happened to the best friend perks?"

 

"Well just because you're best friends with the Ice Princess, who just so happens to be the coordinator, it doesn't mean you get special treatment. Besides you should put those muscles to good use." 

 

"So you admit I have muscles." Jonghyun teased. "I always knew deep down you had hidden feelings for me."

 

"Yeah maybe if you were a--oof. " Sooyoung was cut off midsentence after taking an elbow to the stomach from Sunny.

 

"If he were what Sooyoung Unnie?" Krystal asked looking to Sooyoung for an answer.

 

Everyone looked at Sooyoung with wide eyes, but Krystal was too busy to notice because she was waiting for Sooyoung to reply.

 

"If he I was a little shorter." Jonghyun cuts in with a laugh. "Sica here isn't attracted to men that are a lot taller than her. Right Sica?" Everyone else sighed with relief after Jonghyun's quick save.

 

"Yeah." Jessica gave a prompt response. 

 

"Um are those students with their families I see." Hyoyeon pointed out in the distance. "We should probably get going and go to our posts." Hyoyeon wasn't actually sure if those were students with their families she was pointing to, but she'd do anything to keep the questions from escalating.

 

"I think you're right Unnie. I'm going to go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter