Past Revealed

Bittersweet and Crazy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Decided to post this up now. It's almost 1AM here O.O but I couldn't resist LOL XD I guess that's good for my readers

Anyway enjoy :) 

“Ok you two what’s wrong?” Sunny sets her pencil down and looks at the two spaced out girls sitting across from her.

 

“Hmm?” Tiffany and Krystal both look up and meet Sunny’s gaze.

 

“What’s bothering you two?” Sunny rephrases her question. “You two have been spacing out since this morning.” The three girls just finished attending their morning lectures and were now sitting at a table outside of the campus cafe having a late lunch while completing some assignments.  “So tell me what’s the matter.”

 

Tiffany kept mum and avoided Sunny’s gaze. She wasn’t sure what to say. A lot was running through her mind since yesterday.

 

“I just…” Krystal tried to find the words to express herself. “I don’t understand Sunny Unnie...”

 

“What is it you don’t understand?” Sunny asks.

 

“My sister and Yuri Unnie.” Krystal sighs. She’d been thinking about the two since Yuri showed up. “What really happened to them? They broke up but when they saw each other again--”

 

“There’s no bad blood between them?” Sunny says. Krystal nods. “I suppose that’s what’s bothering both of you.” Sunny looks at Tiffany and then at Krystal and sighs. “I’m guessing by now you two know Yul and J were in a relationship in the past.” The two girls nod. “I figured. Hmmm...how should I tell this story….” Sunny thinks aloud.

 

“I guess the best way to tell this story is to start by talking about J.” Sunny says. Both girls look at Sunny. “I’m not sure if both of you were aware of Jessica’s behavior changes...Krystal might be more aware...” Sunny paused to find the right words. “...when I first met J, she was a bit closed off. It took me and Hyoyeon half way into the semester before she began opening up to us. I know I mentioned that to you two at least once.” Sunny laughs as she recalls the past.

 

“J, Hyoyeon, and I all got into a stupid argument and somehow bonded through that. The argument was so stupid I can’t really remember what it was about. Anyway It’s not important, the importance of that fight was that it was the first time I saw J smile.” Sunny smiled just thinking about it.

 

“When she came to Korea, Hyo and I sensed there was something clouding her mind. She looked like she was baring something heavy in her heart. She rarely smiled until that day. After our petty fight, Jessica started opening up to us. She even introduced us to Krystal for the first time.” Sunny looks at Krystal. “Do you remember?”

 

“Yeah, I do actually.” Krystal says. “It was a surprise for me because I’ve always ask her about her roommates and she’d always give me the lame excuse that you and Hyoyeon Unnie were busy—of course that was a lie.”

 

“Yeah it was,” Sunny laughs. “She’d always leave the room whenever she’d call you. Hyo and I never took that to offense though. We figured she’d be comfortable with us in time. Anyway, back to what I was saying….you might be wondering why I brought that up...well it was around our sophomore year of high school that Jessica slowly changed. Majority of her smiles were forced and for some time she went through a period where she wanted to be alone. I think you two can guess it’s because--”

 

“She and I stopped talking.” Tiffany says. Sunny nods.

 

“I didn’t think I’d be able to see that genuine smile of hers again. But then she met Yuri. Yuri brought back her smile.” Sunny smiled. “She brought back the J that Sooyoung, Hyo, and I missed. Yuri and J became friends after their second meeting and later their good feelings towards each other developed. I think that was a period in our lives when I saw J the happiest. A time when she was glowing and in love. ”

 

“Did Yuri Unnie break up with Unnie?” Krystal asked. “Is that why she hasn’t been the same all this time.” Krystal has noticed the change in Jessica’s behavior ever since she came home sophomore year during her winter holiday.

 

“No. Actually, It was J who broke it off.” Sunny confessed shocking both girls.  “You see, during the the summer before our sophomore year at Yonsei Yuri was discovered and recruited by her current agency. Yuri’s career started to take off from there. She was asked to be the face of the Barrel swimsuit brand. I’m sure you two are familiar with the brand.” The two girls nod. “She also got more modeling gigs. Her popularity rose and later she was offered to star in a big movie as the lead actress. As you know, Yul majors in acting so it was a big opportunity for her.”

 

“What does this have to do with their break up?” Tiffany asks.

 

“J has always been supportive of Yuri’s career.Too supportive actually. She broke up with Yuri because of it...”

 

It was a week after finals. Jessica and Yuri were at the park near the apartment sitting on the grass under a shady tree. Jessica sat in between Yuri’s legs while the latter wrapped her arms around Jessica initiating a back hug.

 

“I had so much fun today. This past week is probably the best week I’ve spent with you. I’m going to miss you over the winter holiday. I wish I could go home with you.” Yuri sighs with a smile as she rests her chin in the dip of Jessica’s shoulder. Yuri didn’t miss the chance to inhale Jessica’s addicting scent. “Why’d you decided to take me to the places we went to on our first date? You didn’t do this as some kind of repentance right?” Yuri jokingly asks. Jessica was silent. Yuri pokes more fun with Jessica.“You didn’t cheat on me did you?? Did you find someone else...is that why you arranged th...a-apa!” Yuri felt Jessica’s teeth sink into her hand after her accusation. “Princess that hurt~” Yuri whined as she pulled her hand away and rubbed the bite mark that was left there.  

 

Yuri was too preoccupied in whining about her hand. She didn’t notice Jessica was trembling in tears until after Jessica moved away from her grasp and stood up. Yuri heard Jessica sob and she realized something was wrong.

 

“Hey, I was kidding. I know you’d never cheat on me.” Yuri stood up and wrapped her arms around Jessica from behind. “It’s just...today was perfect...too perfect. It feels like you’re saying goodbye or something.” Yuri chuckled. “But we both know you’re not right?” When there was no response from Jessica Yuri became worried. She asked her question again thinking Jessica didn’t hear her the first time. “You’re not right?” But in reality Jessica heard Yuri loud and clear.

 

“I-i’m s-sorry Y-yuri.” Jessica trembled. This caused Yuri to let go of Jessica. She gently shifted Jessica’s position so that the girl was now facing her.  

 

“Yuri? Since when did you call me by my name??” Yuri looks at her and is about to laugh along with the ‘joke’ but when their eyes met Yuri could tell Jessica was serious. “You’re kidding right?” Yuri cupped Jessica’s cheeks and looked at her again—this time tears start to form in her eyes. It wasn’t funny anymore. “This is just you playing a prank on me right?” Yuri was getting more and more anxious as Jessica kept silent. Jessica brought her hands to Yuri’s and gently peeled them away from her face. She wanted to look away. She couldn’t face Yuri, but she had to hold it together. She couldn’t let Yuri change her mind. This was for her.

 

She shook her head she was unable to look into Yuri’s eyes. She turned away; she didn’t want Yuri to see her tears.

 

“Sooyeon-ah.” Yuri stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Jessica from behind. “You’re joking right? You’re just getting back at me for pranking you last time right?? If this is a joke it’s not funny.” Yuri says as tears start to spill from her eyes. The atmosphere between them was getting heavier.

 

Jessica placed her hand over Yuri’s arm and tries to break free from her but fails to do so because Yuri tightens her hold on her. Jessica give up and decides to gather the little strength she has left to end it, “Kwon Yuri...Let’s break up.” This time she spoke in a serious tone.

 

“N-no!” Yuri shook her head. “Why Sooyeon-ah? What did I do? Why do you suddenly want to break up?”

 

“I’m making things hard for you aren’t I?” Jessica sobs. This question caused Yuri to loosen her hold on Jessica allowing the girl to turn and face her. Yuri could see the tears streaming down Jessica’s cheeks. She could also see her lips tremble as she spoke, “I-i k-know y-you…turned down that movie offer because of me...I can’t let you do that. Not because of me.”

 

Yuri shakes her head. “I did it for us...there are a lot of roles out there. This isn’t the only role I’ll ever get.”

 

Jessica shakes her head. “Someday you’ll regret not taking this role. It’s a huge opportunity for your future. You and I both know that opportunities like this are rare. Someday you’ll hate me...think about it...if you turn down this role because we’ll be apart from each other who’s to say you won’t do it again when another role calls for you to film overseas? If this keeps happening you’ll start to hate me...you’ll start to hate yourself and we’d only end up hating each other. Eventually we’d break up…we don’t want that to happen…” Jessica cried, but still did her best to keep a little composure. “This is your big break. I can’t let you pass it up. I can’t let you push your dreams aside for me...” Jessica takes a deep breath and builds up her courage. “So while it’s still early and while we’re still in good terms let’s end it here.” Jessica is about to walk away, but Yuri doesn’t let her. Jessica finds herself back into Yuri’s embrace.

 

“No. I don’t want to break up. How can you say this is for my future when you are my future.” Yuri sobs. “Sooyeon-ah…I…” before Yuri could finish her sentence Jessica cuts her off.

 

“I love you too. That’s why I’m doing this.” Jessica says as she slowly pulls away. Jessica slips off their couple ring and places it in Yuri’s hand. “If we’re really meant for each other we’ll find each other in the future. For now...I’m sorry.” Jessica gives Yuri one last kiss on the lips before running away.

 

“So that’s what happened…” Sunny says.

 

“They loved each other that much?” Krystal was in tears. “Unnie loved Yuri Unnie that much that she ended their relationship...” Sunny sadly nods.

 

“After they broke up, Yuri took the role and never returned Spring semester.” Sunny says. “They lost contact with each other. Though their break up hurt both of them, they still kept each other in their hearts.”

 

Tiffany on the other hand was silently crying, not only because of the story but because she realized that she didn’t know her best friend at all. She didn’t know that her best friend was hurting this much. She didn’t even know Jessica wasn’t acting herself. She also realized she never saw Jessica’s smile. The same smile she saw in the pictures on the slideshow they watched the other night. She felt unworthy to call herself Jessica’s friend. She also realized she doesn’t deserve to be called Jessica’s best friend.

 

I’m sorry Jessi. Tiffany silently thought.

 

***

 

“You know if you stare at it any longer I think you’ll burn a hole in your book.” Tiffany’s gaze broke when she heard the familiar giggle come after the comment. She looked up from where she sat and was joined by Jessica who takes a set next to her under the shady tree. Tiffany had been ‘reading’ her textbook for tomorrow’s class.

 

“Haha! Very Funny,” Tiffany shoots Jessica a glare.

 

“Ooo I’m so scared~” Jessica pretended to be scared by the glare Tiffany sent her.

 

“Yah!” Tiffany pinched Jessica on the arm.

 

“A-apa!” Jessica rubbed her arm.

 

“Serves you right.” Tiffany says.

 

“Since when was speaking freely a crime.” Jessica says. “Freedom of speech Steph.” Jessica pouts.

 

“Not if I find it offensive.” Tiffany shoots back.

 

“Ok ok. You win.” Jessica puts her hands up in defeat.

 

“Of course,” Tiffany says. “That’s how it should always be.”

 

“Whatever,” Jessica shakes her head. “Mind if I join you? I’ve got some reading to do as well.”

 

“You’re already sitting here.” Tiffany shrugs.

 

“Great!” Jessica smiles as she takes out her novel from her bookbag.

 

“I thought you said you had some reading to do.”

 

“I do.” Jessica holds up her novel. “This is a novel is it not?”

 

“When you meant rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter