It's something to do . . .

The Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

Hi all . . . I don’t know how to put this, but thanks for enjoying the story. All the praised goes to the owner of the original story anyway  ;>  I’m just re-present it in MinShin term . . . Thank you!!

 - - - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - - -   - - - - - - - - - -

 

 

‘Wow!! This is . . .’ Shin Hye un-able to describe her impression as she enter the building. ‘. . . amazing!’ She finally found the word. Everything about MinHo’s building is a novelty to her. The massive escalator, the whizzy lifts, and laminated card with her photo, which got made by a machine in about three seconds. ‘Impressive!’ She says, comparing on how she does at Fit Physio – sign the visitor by writing their name in a book.

They go up to the sixteenth floor. There’s a corridor with a bright-green carpet, black and white photos of Seoul on the wall, and funky seating in random shapes. On the right are individual, glass-fronted offices and on the left is a big, open-plan area with multi-coloured desks. ‘So cool!’ She can’t let herself from admiring. She examines around. There’s a water machine, and also coffee station with a real Nespresso machine. There’s also smeg fridge and a massive bowl of fruit. ‘This is to good working in here. Should I talk about this with So Ra later?’

As they walking, a man greets Min Ho. “Min Ho!”

As they talk, Shin Hye take the chances to peer all around at the open-plan office area. ‘Could be that girl is Chae Won?’ She look at a girl with wavy hair, talking into a headset, sitting with her feet up on chair.

 

“OK.” Min Ho voice, make her turn to him. Seems he’s wrapping up the conversation. “That’s interesting, Ji Sung. I’ll have a think.”

“Thanks Min Ho, I’ll just forward that document to you right now.”

‘Ji Sung?’ Shin Hye ears prick up. She quite sure she know the name from somewhere. ‘Ji Sung . . . Ji Sung . . .’ Her eye widen as she remember and on impulse inching closer to Min Ho. “Congratulate him on his baby!” She whisper to him. “He just had a baby last week, a girl.”

He turn his face slightly to her, confuse.

“Didn’t you see the email?” She adds.

“Oh.” Min Ho looks taken aback, but recovers smoothly and turn back to Ji Sung. “Ji Sung, congrats on the baby, by the way. Great news!” He smile to Ji Sung.

“Ji Yoo such a lovely name.” Shin Hye beam at Ji sung. “How is she doing?”

“How’s Boo Young?” Min Ho joins.

“They’re both really well, thanks!” Ji Sung say cheerfully. “I’m sorry . . . I’m not sure we’ve met?” Ji Sung glances at Min Ho for help, before look back at Shin Hye.

“This is Park Shin Hye.” Says Min Ho. “She’s here to do some . . . consulting.” He signs to her with his eyes.  

“Oh, yes.” Ji Sung shakes hand with her, still looking puzzled. “So, how did you know about the baby?”

“Oh, Min Ho mentioned it to me.” She lie smoothly, turn to Min Ho with smile. “He was so thrilled seeing the baby photo in the email, he couldn’t help telling me. Isn’t that right, Min Ho?”

Min Ho face incredulously surprise and yet funny as he heard her explanation. “That’s . . . right!” He says finally. “Delighted.”

“Wow.” Ji Sung face suffuses with pleasure. “Thanks, Min Ho. I mean, I didn’t realize you’d be so . . .” He breaks off awkwardly.

“No problem.” Min Ho lifts a hand. “Congratulations again.” He turn to Shin Hye. “I think we should really be getting on.”

He gesture the way as they split into own direction. As they walk away down the corridor, Shin Hye can’t hold herself from giggling softly. Remembering Min Ho funny expression earlier.

“Can you cut it out, please?” He murmurs without moving his head. “What kind of reputation are you going to give me?”

“A good one!” She retort. “Everyone will love you!”

 

Just after she finishes her words, someone is calling from behind.

“Sir, Min Ho.”

Both Min Ho and Shin Hye turn to see Sung Joon from last night, glowing with delight. “I just heard the news! Mr. Cheon is joining the Bukhansan hiking trip! That’s awesome!”

“Oh, yes.” Min Ho nods shortly. “We spoke about it last night.”

“Well, just wanted to thank you.” Sung Joon says earnestly. “I know this was your influence. You two guys will add so much heft to the cause. Oh, and thanks for the donation. We really appreciate it.”

Shin Hye stare in astonishment. ‘He gave a donation for the trip?’

“Hi! Hello again.” Sung Joon beaming at her. “Are you interested in the trip?”

Shin Hye eye wide open as she heard his question. ‘Oh my God! I would love to!’ She screams silently. She turn to Min Ho. “Well, I –“

“No. She’s not!” Min Ho cut her off firmly.

‘Yahhhh!!! What a spoilsport!’ She shoot her eye on him, before turn to Sung Joon again. “Maybe next time.” She say politely. “I hope it goes well.”

“Oh, thanks. OK then, I should get going.” Sung Joon say before he walk away.

As they walk on, she still think about hard on what she just heard. “You never told me Mr. Cheon was going to Bukhansan.” She say at last.

“Didn’t I?” He doesn’t sound interested. “Well, he is.”

“And you gave them a donation.” She add. “You think it’s worth supporting.”

“I gave them a small donation.” He corrects her with a forbidding look.

“So actually . . . the situation turned out really well. Not a disaster at all.” She can’t stop from talking. “And, the girls in Admin think you’re wonderful, and the whole ideas initiative is brilliant. And, you’ve got some interesting thoughts for the company. And, Ji Sung thinks you’re nice. And Hee Sun loves you for doing the Fun Run . . .”

Min Ho suddenly stop, turn facing her. “How many in you count?” He look at her fingers that do the count. His expression is so threatening.

She freeze on her spot with eye on him, tremble slightly. “Err . . .!” She pulls down her hand. “Just saying.” She smiles awkwardly.

He not saying anything and continue walking. ‘Maybe I should keep quiet now. For a while.’ She say in silent, following him.

 

 

‘Oh my God!’ Shin Hye more than impressed the moment she enter Min Ho office. Awestruck, the right word to describe it. It’s a huge corner space, with windows overlooking views of Seoul city. A designer light sculpture hanging from the ceiling, and a massive desk. There’s also another smaller desk outside. ‘Seol Hyun must be used to sit there.’

At the side of the office is a sleek little bar area with a fridge and a granite counter, and another Nespresso machine. By the windows is a sofa, which is where Min Ho ushers her to.

“The meeting’s not for twenty minutes. I’ve just got to catch up with some stuff. Make yourself comfortable.” He tells, and walking to his desk.

She sit on the sofa quietly for a few minutes. ‘This is so killing me. Just sitting here.’ She get up and look out the windows, gazing down at all the little cars whizzing on the road.

Min Ho attention distracted when Shin Hye suddenly get up from the sofa. He glances through corner of his eye, watching her. His eye betrays him as he trails all over her, up to toe, and pauses a moment at her skirt, and stuck few more second at her bare leg. He instantly turns back to his lappy when she suddenly move, folds her arm as she keep watching the view, before look around and walking to the bookshelf nearby.

‘All about business, business, and business.’ Shin Hye tell herself as she go through the books tittle. ‘And awards!’ She nods, looking through few awards there.

‘Didn’t he has any photo of Chae Won here? He must have it somewhere . . .’ She turns to his direction, found him immerse with his lappy. ‘Maybe there’s one on his table.’

As she looking around, trying to spot the photo, she notice another doorway. ‘Why there’s another door? Where does it lead to?’ She can’t help peering at it curiously as he inching closer.

“It’s a bathroom.” Says Min Ho.

She instantly turn to him, shock a bit, didn’t expect he have attention on what she’s doing.

“Do you want to use it? Go ahead.” He tells, gesturing with his raise eyebrows.

“Are you sure? Is it fine for you if I’m . . . using it?” She’s unsure.

Not answering, he just nod as reply.

“Thanks.” She say before back to the sofa, grab her bag and get into the bathroom.

 

As she enter the bathroom, Min Ho curls a tiny smile upon watching her reaction just now. She’s not realizing he was watching her and witnessed her funny action as she found the ‘mystery’ door. Without realizing, he click his tongue before focus back on what he’s doing.

“What a great to have an executive bathroom!” Shin Hye murmur in her lower voice, once she step inside and examines around. “It’s quite normal if to compare with the great office interior that I see just now.” She comment. The bathroom consist a small shower stall and glass tiles. “But, it’s still cool! Own bathroom inside office!” She says. She take the opportunity to redo make-up, brush her hair and tug her denim skirt back into place, when she realize there’s a soup splash on her shirt. “Gosh! Why didn’t I realize this? How can it happen like this?” She nags. “How can I bring myself into a meeting with splash soup on shirt? Aigoo, Shin Hye-ahhh.” She keep nagging while damping a towel and give a quick rub to the stain on her shirt. “Not wet enough?” She look at the sink. “Maybe I should get it right under the tap.”

As she bending down, she see a woman in a smart black trouser suit in the mirror. “Omo!” She jump in surprise. Her eye glued to the woman. It takes a moment for her to realize she got a reflected view of the whole office. “Oh my God!” She shrieks excitedly and keep watching the woman. The woman is tall and imposing-looking, which she assume in her forties. She holding a paper in hand, with fairly grim expression.

“Is she the CEO with bad personal hygiene?” She ask and shakes second later. “No! Surely not. Just look at her perfectly crisp white shirt, already can tell perfectionist she is.” She reasoned before jump again. “Oh God! Is she Chae Won?” She suddenly feel even more embarrassed about her soup stain that hasn’t come off at all, instead she just got a big wet patch on her shirt.

She stares at the wet patch. “This is not good.” She say helplessly, while her mind working. “Should I tell Min Ho I can’t come to the meeting?” She shake her head. “Or . . . maybe he has a spare shirt that I could borrow. Didn’t businessmen always keep spare shirt at the office?” She shake her head again. “Yah! How can you thinking about borrowing his shirt? Pabo!”

She don’t have any better solution. There’s no time. And, the woman in the black suit is already rapping at Min Ho door and pushing it open. Shin Hye watch in the mirror, on tenterhooks.

 

“Min Ho. I need a word.” The woman speak up as she step inside.

“Sure. What is it?” Min Ho looks up and frowns at her expressions. “Jin Kyung, what’s up?”

 

“Jin Kyung! Of course this is she, the head of PR.” Shin Hye excite as she found the woman in black suit identity. “I should have realized at once.” She actually feel like she already know her, from all her emails, and she’s just as she imagine it. Short, dark brown hair, business-like manner, sensible shoes, expensive watch, and a look of massive stress on her face right now.

 

“Only a handful of people know about this.” Jin Kyung says as she closes the door. “An hour ago I had a call from a mate of mine at KBS. They’ve got hold of an internal memo from Mr. Cheon which they’re planning to splash across nine o’clock bulletin.” She winces. “It’s . . . it’s bad, Min Ho.”

“Memo?” Min Ho looks perplexed. “What memo?”

“A memo apparently sent to you and Min Hyuk? Several months ago now? When you were doing that advisory with KOPA? Here. Have a read.”

Shin Hye heard their conversation, before peep round the side of the ajar bathroom door. She can see Min Ho reading a printed sheet with shock expression.

“What the hell –“

“I know.” Jin Kyung lifts her hands. “I know!”

“This is . . .” He lost his word.

“It’s a disaster.” JIn Kyung says calmly. “He basically talking about accepting bribes, Put that together with the fact he’s on a government committee right now . . .” She hesitates. “You and Min Hyuk could be compromised too. We’ll need to look at that.”

“But . . . but I’ve never seen this memo in my life!” Min Ho finally seems to have found his voice. “Mr. Cheon didn’t send this to me! He didn’t write these things. He would never have written this things. I mean, he sent us a memo which began the same way, but –“

“Yes, that’s what I heard from Min Hyuk too. The memo he received wasn’t word for word the same as this one.”

“Not ‘word for word’?” Min Ho repeat impatiently. “It was totally ing different!” His voice raise a bit. “Yes! It was about KOPA, yes it raised the same issues. But, it did not say this things.” He hits the page. “I don’t know where the hell this has come from.” He surely tells. “Have you spoken to Mr. Cheon?”

“Yes. He says the same thing. He didn’t send this memo. He’s never seen it. He’s as baffled as we are.”

“So!” Min Ho exclaims impatiently. “Head this off! Find the original memo, phone your friend at KBS, tell them they’ve been sold a pup. The IT guys will be able to prove what was written when, they’re good at that stuff . . .” He breaks off. “What?”

“We’ve tried.” Jin Kyung exhales. “We’ve looked. We can’t find an original version of the memo anywhere.”

“What?” His voice arises, staring at Jin Kyung. “But . . . that’s crazy. Mr. Cheon must have save it.”

“They’re searching. Here and at his other office. So far, this is the only version they managed to find on the system.” She taps the paper.

“This is bull!” He laugh incredulously. He stop suddenly. “Wait. I have it myself!” He sits down and opens up a file. “I would have put it . . .” He clicks a few more times. “Here we are! You see . . . here it is . . .” He breaks off suddenly, breathing hard. “What the –“

There’s silence.

“No.” Protests Min Ho suddenly. “No way! This is not the version I received.” He looks up baffled. “What’s going on? I had it!”

“Not there?” Jin Kyung voice is tight with disappointment.

Min Ho is clicking frantically at his lappy again. “This makes no bloody sense.” He almost whisper to himself. “The memo was emailed over. It came to me and Min Hyuk on the system. I had it! I read it with my own eyes. It has to be here.” He glowers at his screen. “Where the hell is that email?”

“Did you print it out? And keep it? Maybe you have the original version?” She searching for a hope.

“No.” Min Ho sighs. “I read it online. How about Min Hyuk?”

“He didn’t either. This is the only version he found on his lappy too.” She sags a little.

“It has to be there.” Min Ho sounds adamant. “If the technical say they can’t find it, they’re wrong. Put more of them on to it.”

“They’re all searching. We haven’t told them why, obviously.”

“Well, if we can’t find it, you’ll just have to tell KBS it’s a mystery to us.” Says Min Ho energetically. “We disprove it. Make it crystal clear that this memo was never read by me, never written by Mr. Cheon, has never been seen before by anyone in the company –“

“Min Ho, it’s on the company system.” JinKyung sounds weary. “We can hardly claim that no one in the company has ever seen it. Unless we can find the other memo –“ She breaks off, her phone bleeps with a text. “It’s Joong Ki from legal. They’re going to go for an injunction, but, Mr. Cheon is now government adviser. There’s not much chance.”

Min Ho peering at the sheet of paper again. “Who wrote this crap? It doesn’t sound like Mr. Cheon at all.” A frown of distaste seen on his face

Jin Kyung sighs in silent, lost her word to explain.

 

From the bathroom, Shin Hye also sighs in worried, seeing them. She startles, almost in fright when her phone suddenly buzzes. Quickly, she glance at the screen. Her eye wide open when she see the name appear on the screen. “I can’t stay hiding here.” she glance at the screen and to the direction where Min Ho is. After a second, she hurriedly come out of the bathroom.

“I’m sorry to disturb.” She say awkwardly, gazing at Min Ho as she hold out the phone. “Min Ho, it’s Mr. Cheon.”

She manage to capture Jin Kyung shocking expression as she pass the phone to Min Ho.

 

“Who’s she?” She snaps, before eyeing the stain on Shin Hye shirt. “Is this your new PA?”

“No. She’s . . .” Min Ho waves it off. “Long story.” He tells and exclaims into the phone.

 

“Did you hear any of that?” Jin Kyung focus on Shin Hye.

“No!” Shin Hye instantly respond. “I mean . . . yes. A bit.” She blabbing in fright. “But I wasn’t really listening. I didn’t hear anything.” She waves her hands. “I just re-do my make-up in there.” She add as she notices Jin Kyung eyeing the stain in her shirt again.

“OK, I’ll be in touch. Keep us posted.” Min Ho hang off the phone and shakes his head. “When the hell he will learn to use the right number?” He say with slightly raises- voice, put down the phone on the desk. “Sorry.” He says glancing to both, Jin Kyung and Shin Hye. “This is ridiculous. I’m going to speak to the IT technical myself. If they can’t find a lost email, they should be fired. They should be fired anyway! Useless!” He let go his anger.

“Could it be on your phone?” Shin Hye suggest.

Min Ho eyes light up for a moment. Then, shakes his head. “No, this was months ago. The phone doesn’t store emails beyond two months.” He says, almost lost hope. “Nice idea, though, Shin Hye.”

 

“Again, who’s she?” Jin Kyung can’t hold her inquiry to know, seeing Min Ho casually talking about the matter to Shin Hye. “Does she has a pass?”

“Yes!” Shin Hye hurriedly show her laminated card.

“She’s . . . OK. She’s a visitor. I’ll deal with her” Min Ho say. “Come on Jin Kyung, we need to talk to the technical.” He hurries out into the corridor.

Jin Kyung still not satisfied, keep her glares on Shin Hye, before follow him a moment later. Shin Hye eyeing them, which she can hear a stream of low-pitched attack coming from her as they walk off.

“Min Ho, when exactly do you planning to tell me you had a visitor in your bathroom, listening to our confidential crisis? You do realize my job is to control the flow of information? Don’t you?”

“Relax, Jin Kyung.”

 

Shin Hye look at them until they disappear from view. She sink down on the chair, feeling a bit unreal. “What should I do now?” She’s not sure whether to stay or not to stay. “Is the meeting with the CEO still going to happen?”

She stay in silent, but not too long about twenty minutes.

“This is not comfortable to me.” She sighs, leafed through a magazine full of words that she don’t understand. She put it down, looking at the bar. “Should I make myself a coffee?” She hesitates. “No, don’t think so.”

She sighs again, stuck in silent for a few minutes. “I think I should go.” She gearing herself up to write a note for Min Ho, when a guy taps at the glass door, holding a massive rolled-up piece of blue paper.

“Hi. Are you Sir Min Ho new PA?” H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter