It’s him!

The Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hi! Just a short update . . . will try to update soon!! 

 

- - - - -  - - - - -  - - - -  -  - - - - -  - - - - -  - - - -  -  - - - - -  - - - - -  - - - -  -  - - - - -  - - - - -  - - - -  -

 

 

 

Shin Hye pull out her phone, reading the text from the unknown number for a few more times again. She stares on the screen, sighs deeply before finally compose a text to Soo Hyun.

Hi. How are you doing?

No kisses. No smiley. No anything.

As she press send, she feel as though every word is freighted with double, triple, meaning.

Hi means: Hi, have you been unfaithful? Have you? Please, please don’t let this be true.

How means: I really wish you’d ring me. I know you’re with the boys. But it would reassure me so much just to hear your voice and know that you love me. And you couldn’t do such a thing.

Are means” Oh God, I can’t bear it. What if it’s true? What will I do? What will I say? But, then, what if it’s not true and I’ve suspended you for no good reason . . .

 

“Shin Hye.”

She startles, to found Min Ho is turning towards her. The moment they reach the hotel lobby earlier, he instantly having a conversation with two guys, and they indeed looking serious and so immersed into it. Taking the chances to be alone for a while, she settled down at one of the sofa, waiting silently there.

“Yes.” She ing her phone away, pull herself standing up. 

“This are Chang Wook and Yeon Seok. They work for Jin Kyung.” Min Ho introduce the two guys to her. 

They bow to one another.  

“Jin Kyung is on her way down.” Chang Wook consults his phone as they all head up the steps. “Mr. Cheon is staying put for now.”

“Mr. Cheon shouldn’t hide.” Min Ho is frowning.

“Not hiding. Staying calm. Chang Wook speaking at a dinner tonight, we can’t rush him back to Seoul in sudden, which will create speculation there’s a crisis.” He take a breath. “As for the conference, we keep going for now. Obviously, Mr. Cheon was due to arrive here in the morning, but we’ll have to see . . .” He hesitates. Wincing slightly.

“What about the injunction?” Says Min Ho. “I was talking to Joong Ki. He’s pulling out all the stop . . .”

Yeon Seok sighs. “Min Ho, we already know that won’t work. I mean, we’re not going to apply for one, but –“

He suddenly stops as they arrive in a big lobby.

Shin Hye look around, as her mind telling her that the conference is not a simple one. There are massive MSeventh Consulting logos everywhere, and big screens mounted all around the lobby. Images of an audience inside the hall beaming on it, which she believe there some kind of camera TV inside there. To prove it, the sound of audience laughing suddenly emanates from behind, followed ten seconds later, by laughter from the screens.

“They’re having a good time.” Says Min Ho, and glancing one of the TV Screens.

“Min Hyuk’s speaking.” Says Chang Wook. “He’s doing a great job. We’re in here.” He ushers them into a side room and shuts the door firmly behind them.

“So, Shin Hye.” Yeon Seok turns to Shin Hye politely. “Min Ho filled us in your . . . theory.”

“It’s not my theory.” She says in horror. “I don’t know anything about it! I just got the messages, and I wondered if they could be relevant, and Min Ho worked it out . . .”

“I think she has something.” Min Ho faces up to Chang Wook and Yeon Seok as though daring them to disagree. “The memo was planted. We all agree that.”

“The memo is . . . uncharacteristic.” Amends Yeon Seok.

“Uncharacteristic?” Min Ho looks like he wants to explode. “He didn’t bloody write it! Someone else wrote it and inserted it into the system. We’re going to find out who. Shin Hye heard the voice, and she will recognize it.”

“OK.” Yeon Seok exchanges wary glances with Chang Wook. “It’s just we have to be very, very careful, Min Ho. We’re still working on breaking this news to the company. If you go crashing win with accusations –“

“I won’t crash in with anything.” Min Ho glowers at him. “Have a little trust.” He sighs defiantly.

“So what are you planning to do?” Chang Wook interestedly ask.

“Walk around. Listen. Find the needle in haystack.” Min Ho turn to Shin Hye. You up for that, Shin Hye?”

She look at him. “Yes. Totally.” She nods with confident, hiding her panicked.

“And then?” Yeon Seok not yet satisfied.

“Let’s cross the bridge.” Min Ho says.

 

There’s silence in the room.

 

“OK.” Says Yeon Seok at last. “Do it. Go on. I guess it can’t do any harm. But, how will you explain Shin Hye?”

“A new PA?” Suggest Chang Wook.

Min Ho shakes his head. “I’ve appointed a new PA and half the floor have met her this morning. Let’s keep it simple. Shin Hye is thinking of joining the company. I’m showing her round. Are you OK with that, Shin Hye?” He turn to her.

“Yes.” Shin Hye answer shortly. “I’m fine with it.” She assure.

“OK.” He turn to Chang Wook and Yeon Seok. “Got that personnel list?”

“Here.” Yeon Seok hands it to him. “But be discreet Min Ho.”

Chang Wook has opened the door a crack and looking into the lobby. “They’re coming out.” He says. “All yours.”

 

Min Ho look at the door before turn to Shin Hye. He nods, gesturing to her as he walking towards the direction. They head out of the room, into the lobby. Shin Hye look at the both sets of double doors which is opened at that time, and people are streaming out of them. All of them wearing badges, and chatting some laughing as they come out. “They’re so many people.” She blurted, and stare at the groups of people.  

“It’s fine.” Says Min Ho firmly as he can sense her frightened. “You know it’s a male voice. That already cuts it down. We’ll just go round the room and rule them out, one by one. I have my suspicions but . . . I won’t bias you.”

She stares at him before slowly follow him into the crowd. People are grabbing drinks from waiters and greeting each other and shouting jokes across other people’s heads. She feels her ears as though they’re radar sensors, straining the way and try to catch the sound of voices.

“Heard our guy yet?” Min Ho ask, handing a glass of orange juice.

She shake her head, feeling overwhelmed. The sound in the room is like a melded roar in her head. She can barely distinguish any individual strands, let alone pick out the exact tones of a voice she heard for twenty seconds, days ago, on a mobile phone.

“OK, let’s be precise.” Min Ho talk in low voice. “We’ll go round the room in concentric circles. Does that sounds like a plan?”

She scan the crowd before look at him, and flash a smile. She nods as agree. ‘It’s only me can do this. No one else. It’s me who heard the voice. It’s me who can recognize the voice.’ She tells herself as Min Ho led them to a group of women, who are standing together with two middle-aged men.

 

“Hi!” He greets them all pleasantly. “Having a good time? Let me introduce Shin Hye, who’s having a look round.” He introduce her to each of them and vice versa.

“How many years have you been with MSeventh now?” He purposely initiate the talk, to let Shin Hye hear their voice.

Shin Hye listening properly, as close up as that make it easier for her. After few seconds, she look at Min Ho, and shake her head. He nods, before they moves swiftly to another group, while he discretely ticking the list as they go.

“Hi there! Having a good time? Let me introduce Shin Hye, who’s having a look round.” He starts as before, and create the conversation as to let she hear the voice.

She pay her attention again, while gesturing her interest towards the conversation, before glance at him, and shaking her head.

Get her signs, he abruptly takes hold of her arm, before politely make move. He heads to the next group along and charges straight in, interrupting an anecdote.

“Shin Hye, this is . . .”

“Shin Hye was just admiring your jacket . . .”

“Hi there! Having a good time. Let me introduce Shin Hye . . .”

“Shin Hye, this is . . . and this is . . .”

The more voice Shin Hye listen to, the more confident she feel, and easier than she thought it would be. They have been to four groups and eliminated them. She scan the room anxiously. ‘What if I get all the way round the room, but I still haven’t heard the guy from the message?’ She sighs silently as she keep following Min Ho.

 

“ . . . and this is Chae Won.”

Shiin Hye instantly look up as she heard the name, and Chae Won now faces them full-on.

“Min Ho!” Chae Won says after such a long pause. “Who’s this?” Her gazes on Shin Hye.

Shin Hye look at her and try to supress the most nicely smile to her. But, it’s not difficult for Shin Hye to understand Chae Won hidden-language which means:

Who the is this girl? And, what is she doing here with you, Min Ho? Are you screwing around with me?

She can see Chae Won nostrils are flared and whitening. Her eyes are all stary. And her hand has gripped her glass so tightly her tendons are showing thro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter