A mistake?

The Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Shin Hye have finished her last appointment of the day and standing with her hands spread out of the reception desk. All the patients have gone. Soo Jin gone home too. It’s just her, So Ra and Krystal were surveying the ring in silence, except for a spring storm outside.

“Excellent.” So Ra nodding energetically as her eye glued at the ring on Shin Hye finger. She has worn it most of the afternoon and it’s feels really comfortable. In fact, it’s lighter than the real thing, which is an advantage.

“Very good. You’d never know.” Add So Ra.

“I’d know.” Krystal retorts at once. “It’s not the same green.”

“Really?” Shin Hye instantly peer at it in panic.

“It’s depends on how observant is Soo Hyun.” So Ra raises her eyebrows. “Does he ever look at it?”

“I don’t think so –“

“Well, maybe keep your hands away from him for a while, to be on the safe side.”

“Keep my hands away from him? How do I do that?”

“You’ll have to restrain yourself!” Say Krystal sharply. “It can’t be that hard.”

“What about his parents?” Ask So Ra.

“They’re bound to want to see it. We’re meeting at the church, so the lights will be pretty dim, but even so . . .”

Shin Hye bite her lip, suddenly nervous. “Oh God . . . does it look real?” She ask, looking at both of them.

“Yes!” Says So Ra at once.

“No.” Says Krystal equally firm. “Sorry, but it doesn’t. Not if you look carefully.”

“Well, don’t let them!” Say So Ra. “If they start looking too closely, create a diversion.”

“Like what?”

“Faint? Pretend to have a fit? Tell them you’re pregnant?”

“Pregnant?” Shin Hye stare at So Ra, wanting to laugh. “Are you nuts?”

“I’m just trying to help. “She says defensively. “Maybe they’d like you to be pregnant. Maybe Mrs. Kim gunning to be a granny.”

“No.” Shin Hye shake her head. “No way! She’s freak out.”

“Perfect! Then she won’t look at the ring. She’ll be too consumed with rage.” So Ra nods in satisfaction, as though she’s solved all the problems.

“I don’t want a raging mother-in-law, thanks very much!”

“She’ll be raging either way.” Krystal points out. “You just have to decide, which is worse? Pregnant daughter-in-law or flaky daughter-in-law who lost the priceless heirloom?” She raise her eyebrows, looking at Shin Hye. “I’d say go with pregnant.”

“Stop it! I’m not saying I’m pregnant!” Shin Hye look at the ring again and rub the fake emerald. “I think it’ll be fine.”

“Is that Soo Hyun?” Says So Ra suddenly. “Across the street?”

Shin Hye follow her gaze. There he is, Soo Hyun, holding an umbrella against the rain, waiting for the traffic lights to change.

“Oh, gosh!” She leap to her feet and clasp her right hand casually over her left. “No! This is too unnatural.” On impulse she her left hand into her uniform pocket, but her arm is left sticking out at an awkward angle. “Is this OK?”

“Bad!” So Ra is watching her all the time. “Really bad.”

“What shall I do?” Shin Hye whin, pull out her hand from the pocket.

“Hand cream.” So Ra reaches for a tube. “Come on. I’m giving you a manicure. Then you can leave a bit of the cream on. Accidentally on purpose.”

“Genius!” Shin Hye glance over at Krystal and blink in surprise. “What are you doing?”

In the thirty seconds since So Ra spotted Soo Hyun, Krystal seems to have applied a fresh layer of lip-gloss, sprayed scent on and now is pulling a few y strands of hair out of her ballerina’s bun.

“Nothing.” Krystal reply defiantly, as So Ra starts rubbing Shin Hye hands.

 

And with that, the door open and Soo Hyun appear, shaking water from his umbrella. “Hello girls!” He beams around as though they’re an appreciative audience waiting for his entrance.

“Hi Soo Hyun!” Krystal the first one who replying. “Let me take your coat.” She has rushed forward. “It’s OK Shin Hye. You’re having your manicure. I’ll do it.” She says as she slides Soo Hyun’s jacket from his shoulder. 

Shin Hye eyeing her move which she thinks Krystal is doing it a bit slowly and lingeringly. ‘Why does he need to take his jacket off, anyway? We’re about to go.’

“A cup of tea?” Krystal continue talking with Soo Hyun.

‘We’re nearly finished.” Shin Hye chime instantly. She glance at Krystal before hold her gaze at Soo Hyun. “Aren’t we?”

“It’s OK. No Hurry dear.” Says Soo Hyun. “Plenty of time.” He looks around and breaths in, as though appreciating some beautiful panorama. “I remember coming here the first time as though it were yesterday. You remember, dear?” He meet Shin Hye’s eye as she smiles.

“How’s about your wrist, Soo Hyun?” Krystal is approaching him with a cup of tea from the pantry. Not giving chance for Shin Hye to answer. “Did Shin Hye ever give you a three-month follow-up appointment?”

Soo Hyun look at her, puzzled. “No.” He says firmly, and turn to Shin Hye. “Should we, dear?”

“Your wrist’s fine.” Shin Hye reply in assuring tone.

“Shall I take a look?” Krystal is ignoring. “Shin Hye shouldn’t be giving you therapy now, you know. Conflict of interest.” She takes his wrist. “Where was the pain exactly? Here?” Her voice deepens slightly and she bats her eyelashes at him. “What about . . . here?”

“Thanks Krystal.” Shin Hye beam brightly at her. “But we’d better be going to the church. For the meeting about our WEDDING.” She add pointedly.

“Yes babe, you should be going now. It’s done!” So Ra say in joy, pull up both Shin Hye’s hand in the air, showing it to them.

 “Thanks So Ra for the treat!” She pull up herself on feet. “Just a minute. Getting my bag in the office.” She’s marching to the room, and come back in a while. “OK let’s get going.” She smiles as she grabs Soo Hyun arm.

 

“Hope it goes well.” So Ra glances meaningfully at the ring, then at Shin Hye.

“Thanks babe.” Shin Hye smiles tenderly to her.

“Text us!” Chips in Krystal. “Whatever happen. We’ll be dying to know!”

Shin Hye glares on Krystal as a smirk curls on lip. ‘Don’t you know you’re making it obvious? Crazy woman!’  She actually almost roll her eyes but instead smiling and blink her eyes to her. “Everything will be fine!”

 

 #     # 

 

As they arrived at the church, Shin Hye feel more optimistic than she have for ages. She suddenly feel a tingle of excitement. In eight days they’ll be them. She and Soo Hyun. ‘I’m getting married!’ She cheered inside as her smile wider, ear to ear.

A week tomorrow, the place will be festooned with white silk and poises. All their friends and families will be waiting excitedly. ‘I’ll be in my dress and he will be standing at the altar in his designer waistcoat, waiting for me.” She cannot control herself from smiling as the imagination fill her head. ‘It’s really, really happening! My wedding day!’

But, her smile turn weak as she capture Mrs. Kim inside the church, peering at some old statue. ‘There she is. The mother-in-law. Can’t she just sit back and relax like normal mother do? Oh, no! Is she going to ask me about that statue?’

Mrs. Kim suddenly turns as like she heard her.

Shin Hye startles a bit upon the sudden, forcing herself to wave confidently at her, as though everything’s great and they’re the best friends of the world. ‘Don’t overreacting Shin Hye. She’s OK with you. See, she’s smile to you.’

She clutch Soo Hyun’s arm as they marching closer.

 

“Hello?”

Soo Hyun voice breaks her thought as she quickly turn to him.

He’s picking up a call. “Hi. Yes, Jae Hyun.” Soo Hyun look at her, mouthing apologetically before disappears out of the church.

Jae Hyun is his keenest undergraduate, and is writing a dissertation about ‘symbols’ – which actually that’s the only word she really understand when Soo Hyun tells her the other day. And now, she really sure that they’ll be on the phone for hours.

‘Why can’t he just turn the phone off? I’ve turned mine off!’ She mumbles inside as she eyeing him, before completely lost from her sight.

“Hello!” Shin Hye exclaim as Mrs. Kim comes down the aisle. “Good to see you! Isn’t this exciting?”

“Shin Hye.” Mrs. Kim does her usual dramatic swoop towards Shin Hye cheek. “Dear girl. Now, let me introduce Jin Hyuk.” She look around, searching for him. “Where’s he got to? How is your burn, by the way?”

For a moment Shin Hye can’t move. ‘Jin Hyuk? Oh my God! How can I forget about him?’ Her eyes widen as she remember. Jin Hyuk is the neighbour, the dermatologist. ‘How can I be such stupid? I’m too focus on the ring and forgot about my burned hand. Oh gosh! What should I do now?’

“You’ve taken your bandage off.” Observes Mrs. Kim.

“Oh.” Shin Hye swallow as she look down at her hand. “Yes. I did. Because  . . . my hand much better now. Yes, I mean it’s much better now.” She smiles bitterly as the panic attacking her inside.

“Can’t be too careful, though even with these small injuries.” Mrs. Kim is ushering her up to the aisle.

Shin Hye have no choice other than walk obediently.

“Colleague of mine’s stubbed his toe and just soldiered on, next thing we know, he’s in hospital with gangrene! I said to . . .” Mrs. Kim suddenly paused. “Here she is. The fiancée. The patient.’ She says.

There, Mr. Kim with a guy around Soo Hyun age, turn from examining a painting hanging on a stone pillar, and peer at Shin Hye instead.

“Shin Hye, dear.” Say Mr. Kim. “Let me introduce our neighbour, Choi Jin Hyuk, one of the great professors of dermatology in our country. Specialist in burns, isn’t that fortunate?”

Shin Hye smile oddly yet bitter. “That’s great.” Her voice is a nervous squeak and her hands have crept behind her back. “Well, like I say, it’s a lot better . . .”

“Let’s take a look.” Says Jin Hyuk, in a pleasant, matter-of-fact way.

Shin Hye swallows in difficult as her eye freeze on Jin Hyuk. ‘There’s no way out. No at all!’ Squirming with mortification, she slowly extend her left hand.

 

And, everybody looks at her smooth, unblemished skin in silence. Shin Hye feel the time has stop at that moment. It’s difficult for her to breath. Her eyes freeze at her hand.

“Where was the burn, exactly?” Asks Jin Hyuk at last.

Shin Hye feels her throats dry. “Erm . . . here.” she gesture imprecisely at her thumb.

“Was it a scald?” A cigarette burn?” He’s taken hold of Shin Hye’s hand and is feeling it with an expert touch.

“No. It was . . . erm . . . on a radiator.” She swallow nervously. “It was really sore.”

“Her whole hand was bandaged.” Mrs. Kim sounds bemused. “She looked like a war victim! That was only yesterday!”

“I see.” Jin Hyuk abandons her hand. “Well, it seems OK now, doesn’t it? Any pain? Any tenderness?”

Shin Hye shake her head mutely.

“I’ll prescribe some aqueous cream.” He says kindly. “In case the symptoms return. How about that?” He look up at Shin Hye.

Both, Mr. and Mrs Kim exchanging looks. Puzzled.

Shin Hye notice it. ‘What are they thinking about me now? A phobic?’ She smile bitterly to Jin Hyuk before nodding. “Thank you.”

She slowly pull her hand from him.

“My mother’s emerald ring, do you see, darling?” Mrs. Kim suddenly points at Shin Hye hand. “Soo Hyun gave it to Shin Hye when he proposed.”

Shin Hye hand hanging in the air. She notice Mrs. Kim voice pointed to the edge as she’s shooting Mr. Kim a significant look. She suddenly feels uncomfortable, like something is not right.

‘What’s going on? Why her voice turn like that? Did she actually want this ring herself?’ The thoughts knocking in her head. She feel like she has stumbled into some tricky family situation which is invisible to her, but they’re all too polite to mention it and she will never going to know what anybody really thinks.

“Super engagement ring.” Say Jin Hyuk politely. “That’s a real one-off, I can tell.”

Shin Hye instantly turn to him. “Absolutely!” She nod, smiles awkwardly. “It’s an antique. Totally unique.” She glance at Mr. and Mrs. Kim before look at the ring.

‘Didn’t they noticed it? For real, they don’t? They think they’re so clever, but still, they can’t even spot a false emerald.’

 

“Oh yes, Shin Hye dearly.” Mr. Kim chimes in. He actually was examining a nearby statue. “Now, that reminds me. There’s something I was going to ask you.”

‘Me?’ Shin Hye brows frowns a she turn to him. “Oh, yes.” She answer in surprise.

“I would ask Soo Hyun, but I gather it’s more your area than his.”

“Oh, OK.” She smile up at him politely, expecting some wedding questions. ‘What do you want to know? How many bridesmaids will there be? Or what flowers we’re having?’

“What do you think of McDowell’s new book?” His eyes are fixed beadily on her.

For a moment, she can’t react. ‘What? What do I think of what?’ Her mind working crazily to understand the question.

“Oh yes, Shin Hye is somewhat of an expert on Greek philosophy, Jin Hyuk. She foxed us all at Scrabble with the word ‘aporia’, didn’t you?” Mr. Kim explaining to Jin Hyuk.

Shin Hye smile awkwardly, try to maintain herself from nervousness. ‘Aporia? That’s one of the words Min Ho text me.’ She recalled, and remember how she laying down the tiles and saying that Greek philosophy was one of her great interest. ‘That damn wine! I shouldn’t drink.’ She sighs silently as she completely remember the scene.

She swallows hard as she attempt an easy smile. “That’s right! ‘aporia!’” She repeats the word. “Anyway, I wonder where the priest is –“

“We were reading the TLS this morning.” Mr. Kim ignores her attempt to divert the conversation. “And there was a review of this new McDowell book and we thought, now Shin Hye will know about this subject.” He looks expectantly at her. “Is McDowell correct about fourth-century virtues?”

Shin Hye gives an internal whimper. ‘Oh my God! This is so killing me. What the hell did I pretend I knew about Greek philosophy?’ She clenched her lips tight. ‘What was I’m thinking that time?’

“I haven’t quite got to the McDowell book yet.” She clear . “Although obviously it’s on my reading list.” She’s include her reason.

“I believe Stoicism has often been misunderstood as a philosophy, isn’t that right, Shin Hye?” Mr. Kim adds.

“Absolutely!” She nod, trying to look as knowledgeable as possible. “It’s completely misunderstood. Very much so.”

“The Stoics weren’t emotionless, as I understand it.” He gestures with his hands as though lecturing to three hundred people. “They simply valued the virtue of fortitude. Apparently they displayed such impressiveness to hostility that their aggressors wondered if they were made of stone.”

“Extraordinary!” Says Jin Hyuk, with a laugh.

“That’s correct, isn’t it, Shin Hye?” Mr. Kim turns to her. “When the Gails attacked Rome, the old senators sat in the forum, calmly writing. The attackers were so taken aback by their dispassionate attitude, they thought they must be statues. One Gaul even tugged the beard of a senator, to check.”

“Quite right.” Shin Hye nod confidently. “That’s exactly it.” She swallows. ‘It’s OK. As long he keep talking and I’m nodding, then all be OK.’ 

“Fascinating! And what happened next?” Jin Hyuk turns expectantly to her.

She glance at Mr. Kim for the answer, but he’s waiting for her. And, so Mrs. Kim. The thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter