For this time . . .

The Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“ . . . well, company policy can itself . . .”

“. . . Why don’t we?”

“Yes, I understand that, but . . .”

“ . . . the minute Jin Kyung gets here . . .”

 

Shin Hye sit silently, watching Min Ho having a telephone conversation with Chang Wook since twenty minutes ago. Earlier before, he also has a long conversation with Mr. Cheon which none of which she can hear. She can see it clearly that the tension levels are rising at the moment. They do happy to finally found the owner of the voice. The voice that belongs to someone called as Ill Woo. Which now, she do agree Jong Suk have quite similarity with the ‘Ill Woo’, the actor.

But beginning the moment, Min Ho looks even grimmer than before.

“Whose side are you on, anyway? Come on, Chang Wook.” He ends the call, as he strides around with hand to his head.

She let him breath and calm himself before she launch timidly into him. “So . . . what are you going to do?”

Min Ho let out deep breath, before turn to her direction. “Jong Suk company email is being searched. But, he’s sharp. He won’t have used the company system. He’ll have set it all up by phone or with some private email account.” He seated himself, on the bench, next to her, where they settled themselves outside, quite far from the crowd.

“So, what then?” She eagerly to know.

“That’s the debate.” He screws up his face in frustration. “Trouble is, we don’t have time for a discussion on protocol. We don’t have time to consult our lawyers, if it were me –“

“You’d have him arrested.” She cut off, turn her head facing him. “All his personal property confiscated and a lie-detector test forcibly conducted.” She can’t help saying. “In a dark cellar somewhere.” She pressed on the facts.

A reluctant smile passes across his face. “Something like that.” He rises his brow.

“How’s Mr. Cheon?” She ask in concern.

“Acting chipper.” He says shortly. “You can imagine. He keeps his chin up, but he feels it far more than he’s letting on.” His face twists briefly, and wraps his arms around his chest, staring at the pavement.

“You do too.” She say, gently and worry as she keep her eyes on him.

He spontaneously looks up in a startled movement, as though he been caught doing something wrong. He stares into her.

“I suppose I do.” He admit after a long pause. “Mr. Cheon and I go back a long way. He’s a good guy. He’s done some remarkable things over his lifetime.” He tells. “But if this smear gets out unchallenged, it’ll be the only thing the wider world ever remembers about him.” His tone weaker. “It’ll be the same headline over and over, till he dies . . .” He paused, sights helplessly. “Mr. Cheon Ho Jin, suspected of corruption. That’s the headline he will carry forever. He doesn’t deserve that. He especially doesn’t deserve to be stitched up by his own board.”

 

There’s a sombre moment between them.

 

“Anyway, come on.” Min Ho visibly pulls himself together. “They’re waiting for us. Jin Kyung is nearly here.”

She nods as an answer and they head back, past a group of girls clustered round a table, past an ornamental garden, towards the huge double doors leading into the hotel.

As they walking, Shin Hye phone has been buzzing, and she instantly check on it. ‘Is it Soo Hyun?’

She stares at the screen, and without realizing give out an involuntarily whimper. ‘What I’m going to do?’ She says in silent. ‘I have to speak. I have to tell him.’

Min Ho notice her reaction, as he shoots an odd look at her.

 

“Min Ho.” Her voice is a bit strangled as she talks. They’re nearly at the hotel. “Ermm, stop a minute.”

“What?” He halts with a preoccupied frown, which instantly making Shin Hye stomach lurches with nerves the moment she look at him.

She swallow in difficult, as she keep her gazes on him.

“What’s up?” He looks impatient.

‘Oh God! How should I start? How can I soften him up?’ She says inside. Her hand clenching tightly into the phone in her hand. “Please don’t be angry.” She say at last.

“About what?” His brow frowns, and his voice is ominous.

“The thing is . . .” She clear . “I thought I was doing the right thing. But I can see that you may not view it exactly the way . . .”

“What on earth are you –“ He breaks off. His face suddenly clearing with appalled understanding. “Oh, please, no.” He breaths sharply. “Please don’t say you’re been telling your friends about this –“

“No!” She say in horror. “No! Of course not!” She waves her hand.

“Then what?” He look puzzled.

“It’s . . . a family thing.” She hesitantly say. “It’s about your father.”

Min Ho eyes widen sharply, but he say nothing.

“I just felt really bad that you and he weren’t in contact. So I emailed him back. He’s desperate to see you. He wants to reach out! You never go down to . . . you never see him –“

“What?” He cut off, in shocks. “I really don’t have time for this.”

Shin Hye eye widen, feel sting upon his words. “You don’t have time for your own father? You know what, maybe your priorities are a little screwed. I know you’re busy, I know this crisis is important, but –“

“Shin Hye, stop right there. You’re making a big mistake.” He looks so impassive.

She feel a surge of outrage. “Maybe you’re the one who’s making a big mistake!” The words burst out before she manage to stop it. “Maybe you’re the one who’s just letting your life pass by without engaging in it. Maybe Chae Won is right!”

“Excuse me?” He looks thunderous at the mention of Chae Won.

“You’re going to miss out! You’re going to miss out on relationship which could give you so much, because you don’t want to talk, you don’t want to listen . . .”

He glances around, looking embarrassed. “Shin Hye, cool it.” He mutters. “You’re getting too emotional.”

“Well, you’re staying too calm!” She feel like exploding, which she don’t really understand why. “You’re passive.” She adds. “You know what, you’re turning into stone!”

“Stone?” He burst into laughter.

“Yes, stone. You’ll wake up one day and you’ll trapped inside yourself.” Her voice is quavering.

 

Min Ho eyeing her warily, for a few moments.

 

“Shin Hye, I’ve no idea what you’re talking about.” He say at last, gently. “But, we have to put this on pause. At least for now.” He inhales softly, his eye on her. “I have stuff I need to do.”

His phone buzzes and he lifts it to his ear. “Yes, Jin Kyung. OK! On my way.” He say, as he turn to the firection.

“I know you’re dealing with a crisis.” Shin Hye grab his arm fiercely. “But there’s an old man waiting to hear from you. Longing to hear from you. Just for five minutes. And you know what? I envy you.” Her voice weaken towards the end.

“What the hell –“ He pause, pursed his mouth tights. “Shin Hye, you’ve got this all wrong.” His voice sounds impatient.

“Have I?” She stare at him. “I just wish I had your chance. To see my appa. You don’t know how lucky you are. That’s all.” Her voice wavering. A tear trickles down her cheek and she brush it away instantly. 

 

Min Ho stay in silent, watching her. Confuse and sympathy at one time. He puts his phone away and facing her.

“Listen, Shin Hye.” His voice is gentle. “I can understand how you feel. I don’t mean to trivialize family relationships. I have a very good relationship with my father. And I see him whenever I can. But it’s not that easy, bearing in mind that he lives in Hong Kong.”

She gasp in horror as she heard. ‘Hong Kong?’ Her mind working crazily. ‘But he . . .’ Her brows frowns. ‘Didn’t he know that his father had moved back here?’

“Min Ho, you don’t understand.” She can’t stop herself. “He’s moved back. He lives here in Jeju. He sent you an email. He wanted to see you. Don’t you read anything?”

He stares at her with crinkled on his forehead, puzzled expression on his face as he digesting her words.

And, he suddenly throws back his head, roars with laughter. She watching him confusingly, shock with his reaction which contrast then it should be.

“OK!” He says at last, wiping his eyes. “Let’s start from the beginning.” He looks at her with grins. “Let’s get this straight. You’re talking about the email from Choi Sung Jae, right?”

“No, I’m not! I’m talking about –“ She breaks off, suddenly uncertain. ‘Choi Sung Jae? Choi?’ She grab her phone and check the email address. There’s no family name appear. ‘Is it me who assumed he is Lee Sung Jae?’ her brows crease as she think. ‘If he is Choi Sung Jae, then why he is ‘appa’?’

“Contrast to what you assumed, I did read that email.” He says. “And I chose to ignore it. Believe me, that Sung Jae is not my father.”

She stares confusingly at him. “But he called himself ‘appa’.” She totally confused. “That’s what he wrote.” She hesitate. “Is he . . . your stepped father?”

He grins even wider. “He’s not my father in any shape or form.” He answer patiently. “If you must know, when I was at university, I hung out with a group of guys. He was one of them. We called him appa.” He smiles teasingly. “Because, we think he does look like an appa.” He gesturing a fatty man. “OK? Got it my dear?” He smiles teasingly.

“What?” That’s the only word come out from Shin Hye as she working it out. Speechless and puzzled with the details. She watching Min Ho starts walking towards the hotel a though the subject is closed, while she still rooted to her spot.

‘I can’t get over this. appa is isn’t an appa. He’s not his father. He’s a friend?’ On impulse, she shakes her head. ‘How . . . how was I supposed to know that? People shouldn’t be allowed to sign themselves ad appa unless they’re really an appa.’ She sighs heavily yet helplessly. ‘Yah! Why am I so stupid? Pabo Shin Hye!’

The word of her email to that appa replaying in her mind.

‘Yes, he’s exactly right. Sung Jae word definitely like an appa.’ She nods, remembering how the email sound so humble, so modest, exactly like a thoughtful lovely father.

‘Park Shin Hye, what have you meddled in??’ She abruptly hurry after Min Ho and catch with him.

“So, he is a good friend?” She still want to know. “That Sung Jae. Choi Sung Jae. Is he like, a really old, close friend?”

“No.” he answer shortly.

“But you must have been friends once.”

“I suppose so.”

“So, surely he’s someone you still have a bond with! If you saw him, maybe you’d rekindle that! You’d bring something positive into your life.”

He stops dead and stares at her. “What does this matter have something to do with you, anyway?”

“Nothing.” She answer defensively. “I just . . .  well, I thought you might like to get in touch with him.”

“I am in touch with him.” Min Ho sounds exasperated. “Every few years we meet for a drink. And it’s always the same story. He has some new entrepreneurial project he needs investors for, usually involving some ridiculous product or pyramid scheme.” He explains. “If it’s not fitness equipment, it’s double-glazing or time-shares in Busan . . . against my better judgement I give him some money. Then the business folds and I don’t hear from him again for another year or so. It’s a ridiculous cycle I need to break. Which is why I blanked his email. I’ll call him in a month or two, maybe, but right now, frankly the last thing I need in my life is that blood Sung Jae . . .” He breaks off and peers at Shin Hye who gazing intensely. “What?”

She blink and swallow forcefully.

“He . . . err…” She clear . “He’s waiting for you in the bar.”

 

 

# # #

 

 

Min Ho has turned into a statue quite, as they head back to the hotel. He says nothing, but Shin Hye can easily read his feeling on his face.

“I’m sorry.” She say yet again. “I thought . . .” She pauses as she already explained it to him. Feel helpless, she pursed her lip and just keep going with him.

The moment they push the double doors, they see Jin Kyung hurrying down the corridor towards them, holding a phone to her ear and struggling with a pile of stuff. She’s looking harassed.

“Chang Wook, wait a minute. Just met Min Ho. I’ll ring you back.” She looks up and launches in with no niceties. “Min Ho I’m sorry. We’re going with the original statement.”

What?” Min Ho voice is thunderous. “You have to be kidding.”

“We have nothing on Jong Suk. No proof of anything untoward. There’s no more time. I’m sorry Min Ho. I know you tried, but . . .”

 

There’s a tense silence.

 

Min Ho and Jin Kyung aren’t even looking at each other, but the body language is obvious. Jin Kyung arms are wrapped defensively around her laptop and a mass of papers. Min Ho is kneading both fists into his forehead. And Shin Hye just stay in silence, watching them.

“Jin Kyung, you know this is bollocks.” Min Ho sounds as though he is trying hard to control him impatience. “We know what happened. What, we ignore all this new information?”4

“It’s not information, Min Ho. It’s guess-works! We don’t know what happened!” Jin Kyung looks up and down the empty corridor and lowers her voice. “And if we don’t get a statement out to KBS pronto we are sitting ing ducks.”

“We have time.” He says mutinously. “We can talk to this Jong Suk. Interview him.”

“How long will that take? What will that achieve?” Jin Kyung clutches her laptop closer to her. “Min Ho, these are grave accusations. They have no substance. Unless we find some actual, solid proof . . .”

“So we stand back. We wash our hands. They win.” His voice is calm, but can tell he’s simmering with rage.

“The techies are still investigating in Seoul.” She sounds weary. “But unless they find proof . . .” She glances at a nearby clock. “It’s coming up to nine. We have no time, Min Ho.”

“Let me speak to them.”

“OK.” She sighs. “Not here. We’ve moved to a bigger room with a Skype screen.”

“Right. Let’s go.”

Both, Jin Kyung and Min Ho start walking briskly along. Shin Hye follow them, even she’s not sure she should or shouldn’t go together with them. She don’t dare to utter a single word, what more asking Min Ho, since he’s looks so preoccupied.

Jin Kyung leads them through a ballroom filled with banqueting tables, into another lobby, towards the bar . . .

“Min Ho.” Shin Hye mutter hastily. “Wait! Don’t go near the bar, we should go a different way –“

 


“Min Ho!” A throaty voice cut her off. “There you are!”

 

Shin Hye freeze in horror. She know that must be him. That Sung Jae. She turn to the direction to found a short-fatty guy, wearing a pale grey metallic suit which he’s accessorized with a black shirt and white leather tie. He striding towards them with a massive beam on his fleshy face and a whisky in his hand.

“Been far, far too long!” He envelops Min Ho in a bear hug. “What can I get you, my old friend?” He gives a high-pitched laugh.

Shin Hye glance desperately at Min Ho tight face.

“Who’s this?” Jin Kyung ask in astonishment.

“Long story. College friend.” Min Ho answer in straight stern.

“I know all Min Ho secret!” Sung Jae bangs Min Ho on the back. “You want me to dish the dirt, cross my hand with a fifty. Joking! I’ll take a twenty!” He roars with laughter again.

The atmosphere become odd.

 

“Min Ho.” Jin Kyung can barely conceal her impatience. “We have to go.”

“Go?” Sung Jae makes a mock stagger backwards. “When I just arrived?”

“Sung Jae.” Min Ho politeness is so chill. “Sorry about this. Change of schedule. I’ll try to catch up with you later.”

“After I come all the way here?” Sun Jae shakes his head with disappointment. “Can’t even spare ten minutes for your old mate. What am I supposed to do? Drink here like a muppet on my own?”

 

Shin Hye feeling worse and worse as she witness the situation.

“I’ll have drink with you!” She chime in hurriedly. “Min Ho you go. I’ll entertain Sung Jae.” She tells and look at Sung Jae. “Hi, I’m Park Shin Hye.” She her hand out and try not to wince at his clammy touch.

Min Ho stay still, looking at Shin Hye. His expression can tell he’s not sure it’s the right thing to do.

Shin Hye turn to him, understand the though inside him. “Go.” Her eyes meet him. “Go on.”

He hesitates a moment, still eyeing her.

“Go. Now.” Shin Hye hold his arm, tapping it lightly.

He inhales and then nods. “OK. Thanks.” He glances at Jin Kyung who waiting for him. “Use the company tab.” He says before hurriedly go.

 

“Well!!” Sung Jae seems a bit unsure how to react. “That’s a fine thing! Some people just get a bit too big for their boots, if you ask me.”

“He’s very busy at the moment.” Shin Hye say apologetically. “I mean . . . really, really busy.”

“So where do you fit in? His PA?”

“Not exactly.” Shin Hye hesitates. “I’m kind of been helping him. Unofficially.”

“Unofficially.” Sung Jae gives a great big wink. “Say no more. I’ll understand it.”

She stares at him in gasp. And now she wonder why Min Ho spends his life avoiding him. He’s like a nightmare.

 

“Would you like another drink?” She say as charmingly as she can. “And then maybe you could tell me what you do. Min Ho said you were an investor? In . . . fitness equipment?”

Sung Jae scowls and drains his glass. “I was in that line for a while. Too much health and safety, that’s the problem with that game. Too many inspectors. Too many namby-pamby rules. Another double whisky, if you’re buying.”

“OK then.” She says before order the whisky and a large glass of wine for herself.

“And after the equipment?” She continue to converse. “What did you do then?”

“Well, I went down the self-tanning route . . .” Sung Jae leans back and crack his knuckles.

And he go with the stories.

 

Half an hour later.

 

‘Is there any business this man hasn’t been in?’ Shin Hye say in silent.

 

She has found each of his story seems to follow the same pattern. The same phrases have been rolled out every time. ‘Min Ho is totally right.’ She sighs silently as she remember what Min Ho told her earlier.

She looks around, but there’s no sign of Min Ho. No sign of Jin Kyung. Also nothing on her phone. ‘What’s going by now? Are they OK?’ She can’t stop to be worry.

As the time goes, Sung Jae has sunk two whiskies, torn into three packets of crisps and I snow scooping up a dish of hummus with taco chips.

“Interested in children’s entertainment, are you?” He suddenly says.

She look at him with confusing. ‘I do love kids, but what it got to do with kids entertainment?’

“Not really.” She give her safe answer.

But he ignores her. He produced a brown- furry-animal glove puppet from his briefcase and is dancing it around the table. “Mr. Wombat. Goes down a storm with the kids. Want to have a go?”

‘No!’ She screams inside, eyeing the glove puppet. “OK.” She say, for the sake of keeping the conversation going. She have no idea what to do with it, but still, she have it on her hand.

“You’re natural! You take these along to a kid’s party, playground, whatever, they fly. And the beauty is the profit margin. Shin Hye, you would not believe it.” Sung Jae smacks the table. “Plus, it’s flexible. You can sell them around your daytime job. I’ll show you the whole kit . . .” He reaches into his briefcase again, and produces a plastic folder.

She stare at him in bewildered. ‘What does he mean? Sell them? Me?’ She look up at him. ‘Oh my God! He surely doesn’t mean. . . ‘

“Have I spelled your name right?” He point on the folder, where he write just now.

She look at the folder entitled – Mr. Wombat Official Franchise Agreement. ‘Yah! Why is he writing my name there?’

“What you’d do is take a small consignment at first. Say . . . a hundred units.” He waves a hand airily. “You’ll sell that in a day, easy. Especially with our new gift, Mr. Magical.” He places a plastic wizard on the table and twinkles at her. “The next step is the exciting one. Recruitment!”

“Stop!” Shin Hye rip the glove puppet off. “I don’t want to sell glove puppets! I’m not doing this!”

Sung Jae doesn’t even seem to hear her. “Like I say, it’s totally flexible. It’s all profit, direct to you. Into your pocket –“

“I don’t want any profit in my pocket!” She lean across the bar table. “I don’t want to join! Thanks anyway!” She take his pen and cross though Park Shin Hye on the folder. She notices Sung Jae flinches as though she has wounded him.

“Well! No need for that! Just trying to do a favour.” He says.

“I appreciate it.” She try to sound polite. “But I don’t have time to sell wombats. Or . . .” She pick up the wizard. “Who’s this? Dumbledore?”

“No!” Sung Jae seems mortally offended. “It’s not Dumbledore. This is Mr. Magical. New TV series. Next big thing. It was all lined up.”

“Is it?” She ask with interest. “What happened?”

“It’s been temporarily cancelled.” He says hastily. “But it’s still a very exciting product. Versatile, unbreakable, popular with both boys and girls . . . I could let you have five hundred units for . . .” He calculate.

‘Is he nuts?’ Shin Hye eyeing with odd expression, which he unable to notice. “It’s OK. I don’t want any plastic wizard. Thanks anyway.” She say as politely as she can, but a thought suddenly crosses her mind. “How many of these Mr. Magicals have you got, then?”

Sung Jae looks as though he doesn’t want to answer the question.

“I believe my current stock is ten thousand.” He says at last, and takes a sip of whisky.

‘Ten thousand? Oh my God!’ She so shocks. ‘What’s he’s going to do with that?’ She swallow as she imagine how many Mr. Wombats he’s got. ‘Such a poor Choi Sung Jae.’ She nods.

“Maybe Min Ho will know someone who wants to sell them.” She say encouragingly. “Someone with children.”

“Maybe.” He raises his eyes from the drink. “Tell me something. Does Min Ho still blame me for flooding his house?”

She tilt her head. “He hasn’t mentioned it.” She says honestly.

“Well, maybe the damage wasn’t as bad as it looked. That bloody fish tanks.” He looks downcast. “Absolute junk. And the fish weren’t much better. Word of advice, Shin Hye, steer clear of fish.”

She burst out her soft giggles. “OK!” She nods. “I’ll remember that.” she watching him polishes off the last taco chip, exhales noisily and looks around the bar. He seems to be getting restless.

 

“So, what was Min Ho like at university?” She ask, to spin out the conversation a little more.

“High-flyer.” Sung Jae looks a little grouchy. “You know the type. Rowed for the university. Always knew he’d end up doing well. Went off the rails a bit in his second year. Got in a bit of trouble. But that was understandable.”

“How come?” Shin Hye frown.

“Well, you know.” He shrugs. “After his mother died.”

On impulse, she freezes, her glass halfway to her lips. ‘What?’

“I’m sorry . . .” She trying not very well to conceal her shock. “Did you just say Min Ho mother died?”

“Didn’t you know?” He seems surprised. “Beginning of the second year. Heart disease. I think it was. She’d not been well, but no one expecting her to peg it so soon. Min Ho took it badly, poor bloke. Though I always say to him, you’re welcome to my old lady, any time you want . .  .”

She can’t listening proper

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter