Scrabble!

The Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

As Shin Hye walk up the hill, clutching the wine she bought yesterday, her steps get slower. And slower. In fact, she realize she’s not walking anymore. She’s standing, staring up at the Kim’s house and swallowing hard, over and over again, willing herself to move forward.

‘It’s only a ring, Shin Hye. Just a ring.’ She put it in mind. ‘It’s only your prospective in-laws. It was only a falling-out according to Soo Hyun. They never actually said straight out they didn’t want him to marry me. They only implied it. And maybe they’ve changed their minds.’

‘But . . . how should I start the ring conversation? Should I start with the insurance can cover for the loss and how handy it is?’

She instantly shaking her head.

‘Oh God . . . who I am kidding?’ She take it as there’s no way to salvage the matter. ‘This is a nightmare!’

Her phone bleeps and she take it out of her pocket just for old times sake. She’d given up hoping for a miracle.

You have one new message – come the familiar tones of the voice-mail woman.

She feel like she knew this woman, she’s talked to her so often. How many people have listened to her, desperate for her to hurry up, and have their hearts pounding with fear or hope?

The message was left while she was on the bus as she checked the time the message was sent. “It must be Soo Hyun.” Probably asking where she is.

‘Hello, this is Lotte Hotel Seoul, with a message for Miss Park Shin Hye. Miss Park, it appears your ring was found yesterday. However, due to the chaos after the fire alarm - -‘

 

“What??? Whattttt!!” Joy is whooshing through her like a sparkler. She can’t listen properly. She can’t take the words in. “They’ve found it!”

She already abandoned the message and on speed dial to the concierge. “I love you! I love you! You’re my hero!”

“Lotte Hotel Seoul –“  It’s the concierge’s voice.

“Hi!” She say breathlessly. “It’s me, Park Shin Hye. You’ve found my ring! You’re a star. The hero! Shall I come straight round and get it?”

“Miss Park.” He interrupts her. “Did you listen to the message?”

“I . . . some of it.”

“I’m afraid . . . “ He pauses. “I’m afraid we are not presently sure the ring’s whereabouts.”

She stop dead and peer at the phone. ‘What . . . what did he say to me?’

“You said you’d found it.” She trying to stay calm. “How can you not be sure of its whereabouts?”

“According to one of our staff, a waitress did find an emerald ring on the carpet of the ballroom during the fire alarm and handed it to our guest manager, Miss. Min Ha Ri. However, we are uncertain as to what happened after that. We have been unable to find it in the safe, nor in any of our usual secure locations. We’re deeply sorry, and will do our very utmost to –“

“Well, talk to Miss Min Ha Ri!” She try to control her impatience. “Find out what she did with it?”

“Indeed. Unfortunately she has gone on holiday, and despite our best actions, we have unable to contact her.”

“Has she pinched it?” She says in horror, can’t hold herself anymore. ‘I don’t care. You must find her. Whatever it takes. Detectives, police.’


"Miss Min Ha Ri has been a faithful employee and handled many very valuable items belonging to guests.” He sounds slightly offended. “I find it very hard to believe that she would have done such a thing.”

“So, it must be somewhere in the hotel?” Shin Hye feel a glimmer of hope.

“That is what we are endeavouring to find out. Obviously as soon as I know anything more, I will be in touch. I can use this number still, can I?”

“Yes!” Instinctively she grip the phone more tightly. “Use this number. Please call as soon as you hear anything. Thank you.”

She breathing hard as she ring off. She don’t know how to feel. ‘Isn’t it’s a good news? It just I still don’t have the ring safely on my finger.’

She let out another heavy breath.

‘Everyone will still be worried. Soo Hyun parents, what will they think? They will think I’m flaky and irresponsible . . . and never forgive me for putting them through such stress.’

“This is totally a nightmare.” She let out her feelings.

Standing like a pillar on the pavement, her mind circling furiously. ‘OK! I just need to think properly. Logically. Ethically.’

‘If the ring isn’t actually lost . . .’

 

# #

 

Shin Hye passed a Boots on the high street, about four hundred yards back. Almost without knowing what she’s doing, she retrace her steps. She ignore the shop assistant who tries to tell her they’re closing. Her head right down. She make her way to the first-aid counter.

“Yes, there it is!” She pick a kind of glove, and some rolls of adhesive bandage. “I’ll get them all.”

A couple of minutes later, she striding up the hill again. Her hand is wrapped in bandages, which people can’t tell whether she’s wearing a ring or not.

‘I don’t have to lie. I can say . . . it’s difficult to wear a ring with a burned hand.’

 

She nearly at the house when her phone bleeps and a text from LMH pops into.

Where’s the attachment?

Typical of him. No hello, no explanation. He just expects her to know what he’s on about.

What do you mean?

The email from Mr. Choi Won Young. There was no attachment.

That’s not my fault! I just send on the email. They must have forgotten to put it on. Why don’t you ask them to send it again, WITH the ATTACHMENT? Directly to your computer.

 

She know she sound a bit exasperated, and of course he instantly picks up on it.

 

This phone sharing was your idea. If you remember, if you’re tired of it, just return my phone to my office.

 

She hurriedly text back:

No, no! It’s OK. If it comes through I’ll forward it. Don’t worry. I thought you were getting emails transferred to your address???

The technical said they’d sort it ASAP. But they’re liars.

 

There’s a short pause. Then, he texts:

Got the ring, btw?

She sighs helplessly as she reply:

Nearly. Hotel found it, but then lost it again.

 

Typical.

I know.

 

By that time, she has stopped walking and leaning against a wall. She know she’s spinning time before she has to go into the house, but she can’t help it. She feel it’s quite comforting, having this virtual conversation through the air with someone who doesn’t know her or Soo Hyun, or anybody.

She text in a confessional rush, after a few moments:

I’m not telling my in-laws have lost ring. Do you think that’s really bad?

 

There’s silence for a bit, then he replies:

Why should you tell them?

 

“Yah, what kind of ridiculous question is this?” She roll her eyes and type:

It’s their ring!

 

Almost at once his reply comes beeping in:

Not their ring. Your ring. None of their business. No big deal.

 

“Yah, chinca . . . how can he write ‘no big deal’??” She say grumpily before she text back. Jabbing the keys crossly.

Is family bloody HEIRLOOM. I’m about to have dinner with them right now. They will expect to see ring on my finger. Is huge deal, thank you.

 

For a while there’s silence and she think he’s given up on the conversation. Then, just as she about to move on, another text beeps into the phone.

How will you explain missing ring?

 

She have a moment’s internal debate. ‘Why not get a second opinion?’ She look down at her hand. 'Should I ask?'

Lining up the screen carefully, she take a photo of her bandaged hand and send it to him.

 

Five seconds later he replies:

You cannot be serious.

 

She feel a twinge of resentment.

What would YOU do then?

She half-hoping he might have some brilliant idea that she hadn’t thought of. But his next text just says:

This is why men don’t wear rings.

 

“Great! Well, that’s really helpful! Thanks LMH.” She mutter grumpily.

She just about to type something back, when a second text arrives:

It looks fake. Take off one bandage.

 

She stare at her hand in alarm. Perhaps he’s right.

OK. Thanks.

 

She unpeel a bandage and stuffing it into her bag just as Soo Hyun’s voice rings out.

“Dear! What are you doing?”

She look up he’s striding along the street towards her. Flustered. She drop the phone into her bag and zip it shut. She can hear the bleep of another text arriving but she’ll have to look at it later.

“Hi! What are you doing here?” She try to act normal.

“Getting some milk. We’re out.” He stops in front of her and rests two hands on her shoulders, his eyes regarding her in tender amusement. “What’s up? Putting the evil moment off?”

“No!” she laugh defensively. “Of course not! I’m just coming up to the house.”

“I know what you wanted to talk to me about.”

“You . . . you do?” She glance at her bandaged hand and then away again.

“Dear, listen. You have to stop worrying about my parents. They’ll love you when they get to know you properly. I’ll make sure they do. We’re going to have a fun evening. OK? Just relax and be yourself.”

“OK!” She nod at last, and he squeezes her. Then, glance at her bandage.

“Hand still bad? Poor you.” He didn’t even mention the ring.

She feel a glimmer of hope. ‘Maybe this evening will be OK.’  “So, have you told your parents about the rehearsal? Tomorrow evening at the church.”

“I know.” He smiles. “Don’t worry. We’re all set.”

 

As they walk along, she savour the thought of it - The ancient stone church. The organ playing as she walk in. The vows. She know some brides are all about the music or the flowers, or the dress. But she all about the vows.

For better for worse . . . for richer for poorer . . .  and thereto I plight thee my troth . . .

All her life, she heard these magical words. At family weddings, in movie scenes, at royal weddings even. The same words, over and over, like poetry handed down the centuries.

‘And now, we’re going to say it to each other.’ Her spine tingle as she imagine the moment.

“I’m so looking forward to saying our vows.” She can’t help saying, even though she has said it to him before, approximately a hundred times.

 

There was a very short time, just after they got engaged, when Soo Hyun seemed to think they’d getting married in a registry office. He’s not exactly religious, and nor his parents. But as soon as she’d explained exactly how much she’s been looking forward to saying the church vows all her life, he backtracked and said he couldn’t think of anything more wonderful.

“I know.” Soo Hyun squeezes her waist. “Me too.”

“You really don’t mind doing the old words?”

“Dear, I think they’re beautiful.”

“Me too.” She sigh happily. “So romantic.”

Every time she imagine herself and Soo Hyun in front of the altar, hands joined, saying those words to each other in clear, resonant voices, it seems like nothing else matters.

 

# # #

 

But, as they approach the house twenty minutes later, her glow of security starts to subside away. The ‘Kim’ are definitely back. The whole house is lit up and she can hear opera blasting out of the windows. She suddenly remember that time Mr. Kim asked her what she thought of Tannhauser and she said she didn’t smoke.

‘Oh Gosh! Why didn’t I do a crash course on opera?’ The thought make her even nervous. ‘What if he asking me again?’

“Damn. Forgot to call Dr. Hae Jin.”

Soo Hyun voice pull her back to sense as she turn to him.

“I’ll just be a couple of minutes.” He swings the front door open, then clicks his tongue. “I just need to make an important call.”

Shin Hye don’t believe this. Her eyes following him, hurriedly bounding up the stairs, towards the study. ‘How can he leave me? He can’t!’

“Soo Hyun.” She try not to sound too panicked.

“Just go through! My parents are in the kitchen. Oh, I got you something for our honeymoon. Open it!” He pointing to a direction before blows her a kiss and disappears round the corner.

Shin Hye exhales heavily, after he disappear as she slowly pull her legs towards the hall. ‘Just keep calm Shin Hye. Everything will be OK.’

She stop as she see a huge, beribboned box on the hall ottoman, before coming closer and reach it.

“Wow! This is expensive.” She says as she recognize the box so well. She exactly know the brand. “Is he for real?” She shriek her excitement in lower voice, as she tug it open, ripping the expensive pale-green tissue paper, to find a grey and white printed Japanese kimono. It’s absolutely stunning and even has a matching camisole. “Oh my God! This is so beautiful!”

On impulse, she duck into the little front sitting room which no one ever uses. She take off her top and cardigan, slip the camisole on, and replace her clothes. It’s slightly too big, but still gorgeous. All silky smooth and luxurious feeling.

“This is such a lovely present.” She tells herself, twirls around happily. It’s indeed a lovely present, but to be honest, what she would have preferred at the moment is Soo Hyun by her side, with his hand firmly on her, giving her moral support. Smiling ear to ear, she fold the dressing gown up again and stuff it back amid the torn tissue.

“What takes him so long?” There’s still no sign of Soo Hyun coming down. She can’t put that any longer, waiting for him there. She just about to peek to the stairs when a voice suddenly fill in. 

“Soo Hyun?” Comes Mrs. Kim’s high pitched, distinctive from the kitchen. “Is that you?”

Shin Hye shuts her eyes with pursed lips. ‘This is not so good. What will she think if she found me here? Will they think I’m hiding?’

“No, it’s me! Shin Hye!” is clenched with nerves as she replies, coming out from the room to the hall as she put down the box at the same spot again. 

“Shin Hye! Come on through!” Mrs. Kim invites her. 

 

‘Relax. Be yourself. Come on.’

Shin Hye grasp the bottle of wine firmly and head into the kitchen, which is warm and smells delicious. 

“Hello. Hi . . . Mrs. Kim.” She’s not sure how she should address her. “How are you?” She say in nervous rush. “I brought you some wine. I hope you like it. It’s red.”

“Shin Hye.” Mrs. Kim swoops towards her. Her hair has been freshly hennaed and she’s wearing one of her odd, voluminous dresses made out of what looks like parachute silk, together with rubber-soled Mary Janes and put on an inaccurate slash of red lipstick. Her usual looks, the same like the first time she meet her. She brushes her cheek against Shin Hye’s.

“The fi-an-cée!” She pronounces the word with care bordering on ridicule. “The engaged.”

“The affianced.” Chimes in Mr. Kim, rising from his seat at the table. He’s wearing the tweed jacket he wears in the photo on the back of his book and surveys Shin Hye with the same off-putting gimlet-eye smile.

Shin Hye feel the nerves hitting her even more. She trying her very best as she smile to him. “Hi. Mr. Kim.”

“The Lily’s bride o’ the bee.” Mr. Kim continue, which she assume they must be in the middle of something since before. “Another for your collection, darling.” He looks at Mrs. Kim.

“Right! I need a pen. Where’s a pen?” Mrs. Kim starts searching among the papers already littering the counter-top. “The damage that has been done to the feminist cause by ridiculous, lazy minded anthropomorphism? I ask you, Shin Hye.” She appeals to Shin Hye.

And Shin Hye give a rictus smile. ‘Goshh, I have no idea what they’re talking about now. None! Why can’t they just say ‘hello’ like normal people?’

 

“What’s your view on the cultural response to anthropomorphism? From a young woman’s perspective?” Mr. Kim casually ask.

Shin Hye feel her stomach jumps as she realize Mr. Kim is looking at her again. ‘Is he talking to me? anthro -  what??’

She feel like if only he would write down his questions and give them to her with five minutes to look over (maybe a dictionary), she’d have half a chance to come up with something intelligent. She did go to the university. She have written essays with long words in them and a dissertation. Even, her teacher once said she has a questing mind. But now, she don’t have five minutes, and he’s waiting for her to speak. And there’s something about his bright gaze that turns her tongue to dust.

 

“Well. Um . . . I think it’s . . . it’s . . . an interesting debate.” She say feebly. “Very crucial in this day and age.” She give a general answer. “So, how was your flight?” She add quickly.

“Unspeakable.” Mrs. Kim looks up from where she’s scribbling. “Why do people fly? Why?”

Shin Hye not sure if she’s expecting an answer or not. “Urm, for holidays and stuff –“

“I’ve already started making notes for a paper on the subject.” Mrs. Kim interrupts. “ ‘The Migration Impulse.’ Why do humans feel forced to pitch themselves across the globe? Are we following the ancient migratory paths of our ancestors?”

“Have you read Burroughs?” Mr. Kim ask with interest. “Not the book. The PhD thesis.”

Shin Hye eyeing them who instantly immersed in their conversation which she definitely not able to join. No one’s even offered her a seat or a drink. Quietly, trying to blend in with the background, she creep into the kitchen area and pour herself a glass of wine.

“I gather Soo Hyun gave you the grandmother’s emerald ring?” Mrs. Kim suddenly ask. 

She jump in panic. ‘Does she know?’ She looks at her. “Yes! It’s . . . it’s beautiful.” Her hands trembling so much, she nearly spill her wine.

Mrs. Kim say nothing, just glances at Mr. Kim and raises her eyebrows meaningfully.

 

‘What was that for? What are they thinking? What with the eyebrow-raise? Oh, no! They’ll ask to see the ring . . . and all going to implode . . .’ Shin Hye’s mind talking crazily.

“It’s difficult to wear a ring with a burned hand.” She blurt out desperately.

“Burned?” Mrs. Kim swings round and takes in her bandaged hand. “My dear girl! You must see Jin Hyuk.”

“Yes, Jin Hyuk.” M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter