Give it out

The Number
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Shin Hye curls a tiny smirk as she caught a glimpse of herself in a mirror just now. Dressed up in her best little-black-dress and high heels, and with immaculate make-up, she look like a carefree girl who wearing an engagement ring and drinking cocktail at the Ellui without having anything to worry about. And the truth is, her mood tonight is a lot better than it was.

“This is amazing!” She tell herself as she sip her drink, can’t hide her excitement for being there. She has never been to the Ellui in her life before.

The party is in a stunning room with a panelling and spectacular chandeliers everywhere and waiters handing round cocktails on trays. A jazz band is playing, and all around, smartly dressed-people are chatting in clusters. There are lots of back-slaps and handshakes and high-fives going on, and everyone seems in a great mood.

Even though, she don’t know a single person, but she’s happy to watch. Every time someone notices her standing on her own and starts to approach, she’ll get out her phone to check her messages. So, they will turn away.

“That’s great thing about a phone!” She say as she look up from her phone and look round the crowd again.  

Earlier, Soo Hyun who was in Ilsan for some research trip has texted her telling that he’s cooking up with a professor there. While Eun Hye keeps texting, telling her how she’s busy looking at another variety of grey silk, and ask if she has any thoughts on texture.

“This woman is so killing me.” She says as she read another text from Eun Hye, still asking about the silk. She put her cocktail down on a nearby table and fire her reply:

The grey slub silk will be fine too. Thanks so much!

 

Another than that, there’s long-list of emails for Min Ho too. Loads more people have replied to the new-ideas request. Many have enclosed long attachment and CV’s. There are even a couple of videos.

“All the people must been busy over the weekend I guess.”  A pang of guilt build in her as she scroll through the emails. What she was hoping was that everything would calm down over the weekend and people will forget about it. “I don’t think this going to stop by next week.”

Just as she scrolling back up the endless stack of emails, one of it grabs her attention. It’s from Dae Man, in marketing.

Dear Sir LMH

Thanks for agreeing to present Miss Hye Jin birthday flower to her. They’ve arrived at last! As you weren’t around today I’ve put them in your room. They’re in water, so they should keep all right!

 

Shin Hye sigs helplessly. It’s not Min Ho who agreed to present the flowers. It was her, on behalf of Min Ho. And now, she feel less confident with the idea.

‘What if he’s super busy tomorrow? Or . . . what if he get pissed off because he has to take time out of his schedule to go and present flowers?’

She bite her lip as she think the easier way for him. She hesitate for a moment before quickly type an email:

Hi Miss Hye Jin

I want to give you something in my office. Something you’ll like. Stop by tomorrow. Any time.

And she press send without re-reading it, and swag of her cocktail as she feel relax as she savouring her drink.

A moment later.

“Oh gosh! Did I really put it just now?” She immediately grab her phone and check the email again. “Yah, why do I put it in there?” She mutter in helpless, seeing the fact she’s just put kisses icon after Min Ho name. “Professional email can’t be like this.”

She pursed her lips tightly as she re-read the email again. “It’s me who used to put the kisses, not him! He never put any icon in his email. What should I do now? Can I un-send the kisses?”

She shriek in lower tone. “Yah, I can’t send new email saying- ‘I didn’t mean to add kisses just now’.”

Just by that, an email reply has arrives from Hye Jin.

See you then Sir LMH   

And, she put two kisses and a wink face.

 

She stare at the email for few moments. “Is that normal?” She try to convince herself. “Think so! A friendly office correspondence.” She put her phone away, drain her drinks and look around for another. “There she is.” She say, looking at a waitress standing a few yards away before start to thread her way through the crowds.

“ . . . policy Min Ho’s idea?”

A man voice attract her attention as she passed him.

“So the hell ludicrous.”

The man continue.

“You know Min Ho . . .”

She stop dead, pretending to fiddle with her phone. They’re all younger than Min Ho and very well dressed. ‘Must be his colleagues.’ She guess as she glances thoroughly yet quickly on them.

“Is he here?” Says the skinny guy.

“Haven’t seen him.” replies the taller- man. “Stubborn .”

Shin Hye jerks in surprise. Her eyes widen as she eyeing the man. ‘Well, so nice of you!’

Her attention interrupt when her phone suddenly bleeps with a text. ‘Who’s texting me now?’ She say in silent before can’t hold herself as she suppress a snort of laughter. It’s a text from So Ra who has sent a photo of a guy from behind with text:

Is this a toupee??

“How can you snap a photo of your blind-date? From behind like this? Aigoo this woman!” She shakes her head, cover with hand. She have no idea why So Ra so obsessed by toupees.

I don’t think so. Looks fine!!!

She reply, still in her giggle, before look up and found the men who talking have moved away. “Great! I lose them.” She click her tongue, not satisfied because she can’t hear what they are going to talk about. Instead, she take another cocktail and few pieces of sushi, and about to head over towards the jazz band when she hear the screechy sound of microphone being . 

On impulse, she swivel round and found a small podium is only about five feet away from her. A woman with blonde hair, in a black trouser suit, taps the microphone.

“Ladies and gentlemen. May I have your attention, please?” She says and continue after a few moments. “People! It’s time for the speeches! The quicker we start, the quicker they’re over, OK!”

With that, general laughter fill the room and the crowd starts to move towards the end of the room.

“So, here we are!” The blonde woman spreads her arms. “Welcome to this celebration of the merger of ourselves, The Arcadia and the wonderful Paradigm Retail. The marriage of heart, minds and the companies! And we have so many, many people to thank. Our Managing Director, Sir Choi Do Bin, showed the initial vision which led to us standing here now. Sir Choi, get up here!”

Shin Hye look at a bearded man in a pale suit walks on to the podium, smiling modestly and shaking his head, and everyone starts clapping.

“What can I say? This merging has been an inspiration to us all.”

And the man go on with his speech which hardly for Shin Hye to focus or at least look interested, because none of the names he mention means anything to her. She don’t know them. Sneakily, she get her phone out and wonder if she can discreetly find the email about the merger.

“Or should I ask uncle Google for the answer?” She mutter to herself.

 

“And I know he’s here somewhere . . .”

She turn up to the man again as she heard he kind of introducing a person.

“He tried to wriggle out of coming tonight, but we had to have the man himself here, Mr. MSeventh Consulting, Lee Min Ho!”

Her head jerks up in shock. ‘Who? Whose name he just call out?’ She’s looking around. ‘Min Ho? That’s can’t be right. He can’t be - -“

Fresh applause breaks out as Min Ho strides on to the podium, wearing a dark suit.

‘Yes, it’s really him.’ She say in disbelief as her eye already glued on him. She can’t even move, seeing him right in front of her at the moment. ‘Didn’t he was in China? He wasn’t coming tonight. But, what’s he doing here now?’

She can tells he also surprise seeing her, by looking at the way his face jolts and a slight frown on him. ‘Yes, it’s me that you see now.’ Her nervousness increase as his eyes is on her at the moment.

She’s not sure how should she react, the only thing she’s sure is her face is flaming with embarrassment. She quickly try to back away, but the mass of people pressing behind her is too heavy.  She’s stuck there, and all she can do is staring mutely at him.

 

“. . . when this Mr. MSeventh is in the room you know things will reach a resolution.” The blonde woman is saying. “Whether it’s the resolution you want . . . eh, right?”

A roar of laughter fill the room. A guy next to Shin Hye suddenly turns to her and exclaims. “She’s a bit near the knuckle there!”

Not sure how to react, she give a fake, huge phoney laugh to him, before lift her eyes to the podium and caught Min Ho is looking nowhere near her.

‘This is not good.’ She feel uncomfortable with the gazes he’s giving her.

 

“OK, let’s hear it for . . .” The blonde women call for another person to say a word.

As the girl steps on the podium. Min Ho takes his phone out of his pocket and discreetly taps at it.

And Shin Hye phone bleeps with a text coming in a moment later:

Why were you laughing?

She feel a stab of embarrassment. ‘OK! You know I’m fake the laugh. Right? But I cannot let you get it!’

It was a good joke.

She watch Min Ho checks his phone. His face twitches the tiniest bit. He types again briefly. And a moment later her phone bleeps again.

I didn’t know your name was on my invitation.

She glance up in nervousness, trying to gauge his expression, but he’s looking in the other direction. His face impassive. She think for a moment, then type:

Just stopped by to collect your goody bag for you. All part of the service. No need to thank me.

He look at her before tapping his phone. And her phone bleeps again.

And my cocktails, I see.

He’s looking right at her cocktail, raises his eyebrows as gesture to it.

She curls a tiny smirk before reply his text.

I was going to put them in a hipflask for you. 

He text back:

Thank you. I prefer tequila anyway.

And so do her.

Well, OK. Now I know. I’ll chuck all those tequila shots. I had saved up.

 

As Min Ho clocks the last message, he looks up from his phone and flashes a sudden smile to her. A smile that make her breathing pause for no reason. And, she don’t understand the reason. Without realizing, she’s beaming back to him.

‘Why I suddenly have this kind of feeling? A strange feeling . . .’ She can feel her heart is beating faster. She feel uncomfortable as she instantly look at the podium, try to focus to the person who giving speech. ‘Focus! Yes, focus on the speech.’ She tells, to distract herself, and to not looking at Min Ho again.

 

As the final round of applause breaks out, she try to find an escape route as she look around to find better way for her get out from the room. But the crowd seems not giving her chances. Within around ten seconds, Min Ho has stepped straight down off the podium and is standing in front of her.

She swallows in difficult as she look up at him. “Hi.” She try to hide her awkwardness. “Er . . . it’s nice seeing you here.” She smiles oddly.

He doesn’t reply but just look at her curiously. His eye glued on her, from head to toe before back to her face again.

“OK! I’m sorry.” She say in rush. “I know I shouldn’t be here. It’s just I’ve never been to the Ellui, and it sounded so amazing. And you didn’t want to go. And I - -“

She paused as he lifts a hand, looking amused.

“It’s no problem. You should have told me you wanted to come. I would have you on the list.” He says calmly.

‘What?’ Her brows frown as she heard him. ‘I’m not hear it wrongly, right?’

“Oh . . .” She say at last. Inhales softly. “Well, thanks! I’m having a really nice time.”

“Good!” He smiles and takes a glass of red wine from a passing waiter’s tray. “You know what?” He pauses thoughtfully, cradling his glass in his hands. “I have something to say, Miss Park Shin Hye.” He beaming to her. “I should have said it before. And . . . that’s, Thank You!” He look at her. “You’ve been a great help to me, these past few days.”

She freeze as she keep her stares on him, can’t believe with what she heard just now. “It’s fine. Really. No problem.” She hurriedly make a brushing-off motion.

He shakes his head. “No, listen. I want to say this. I know originally I was doing you to the favour, but in the end, you’ve done me one.” He pauses, smile to her again. “I haven’t had any proper PA support at work. You’ve done a great job. Keeping me up to date with everything. I appreciate it.”

“Well, honestly it’s nothing!” She say, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

“Well, take the credit then!” He laughs, then shrugs off his jacket and loosens his tie. “It’s been a long day.” He slings his jacket over his shoulder and takes a gulp of his drink. “So, nothing up today? The airwaves have gone very quiet.” He gives another of the pause-breathing smile. “Or are all my emails coming through to Yi Kyung now?”

“Well . . .” She take a gulp, desperately playing for time. “Funnily enough, you did get a few messages. I thought I wouldn’t disturb you while you were in China.” She smiles awkwardly.

“Oh yes? He ask with interest. “What is it about?”

She turn to him with not-so-sure reaction. “Hrmm . . . this and that.” She tilt her head. “Or, would you rather to wait till tomorrow?” She clutch for the last hope.

“It’s OK. Tell me now.”

She rub her nose. ‘Gosh! Where should I start? This is not the perfect time.’

 

“Boss! There you are!” A thin guy in glasses is approaching. He’s blinking quiet fast and holding a large black portfolio under his arms. “They said you weren’t coming tonight.”

“I wasn’t.” Min Ho says wryly.

“Great. Great!” The thin guy is twitching with nervous energy. “Well, I brought these along on the-off chance.” He the portfolio at Min Ho.

Min Ho stare at it before take it with bemused expression.

“If you have a moment tonight . . .” And the thin guy start talking to Min Ho, explaining a bit before he darts away into the crowd.

 

For a moment neither of them speaks.

 

Min Ho because he looks too baffled, and Shin Hye because she’s trying to work out what to say.

“What was all that about?” He say at last. “Do you have any idea? Is there something I’ve missed?”

She’s not dare to look at him. She bite her lips nervously. “There was something I meant to tell you about.” She give a high-pitched laugh, try to make it as fun. “It’s quite funny actually. I mean if you see it that way –“

 

“Sir Min Ho!” A woman with a booming voice interrupts. “So delighted we’ve got you signed up for the Fun Run!”

Shin Hye examines the woman. ‘Oh my God! This is must be Hee Sun.’

“Fun Run?” Min Ho echoes the words as though they’re complete curse to him. “No. Sorry Hee Sun. I don’t do Fun Run. I’m happy to donate. Let other people do the running. Good for them . . .”

“But your email!” Hee Sun stares at him. “We were so thrilled you wanted to take part! No one could believe it!”

“Email?” Min Ho looks bewildered. “What email?”

“That lovely email you sent! Friday, was it? Oh, and bless you for the e-card you sent.”

Shin Hye face getting hotter as she heard about the e-card. She’s actually forgotten about it.

“An e-card?” Min Ho says in a strange voice. “Yes.” He glances at Shin Hye. “I’m pretty amazed at myself.” And staring straight at her, with the most un-friendly expressions.

‘Oh God, it shouldn’t turn this way. Should I run now?’ She gulps in difficult, feeling nervous under his stares. ‘No. there’s no way to go.’

“Do excuse me, Sir Min Ho.” Hee Sun says as she waves a hand across the room, to a woman there. “And thanks again!” She heads off, leaving them alone.

 

There’s silence between them again.

 

Shin Hye glances at him with nervousness as she feel difficult for her to breathe. She understand he’s waiting for her to start. She realize it very well.

“I thought . . .” She swallow hard.

“Yes?” Min Ho voice is curt and unforgiving.

“I thought you might like to do a Fun Run.” She says in guilt.

“You did.”

“Yes. I did.” Her voice is a little husky with nerves. “I mean . . . they’re fun! So I thought I’d reply. Just to save your time.” She admit, explaining, even her nervousness almost killing her.

“You wrote an email and signed it as me?” He ask. His voice sounds thunderous.

“I . . . I was trying to help.” She say hurriedly. “I knew you didn’t have time and they kept asking you. and I thought –“

“The e-card was you too?” He cut off, looking at her. “I take it as yes!” He shuts his eyes briefly. “Is there anything else you’ve been meddling in?”

Shin Hye sighs silently, her guilty arise. She feel like she want to bury her head like an ostrich. But she can’t. ‘I have no choice. I have to tell him, quickly!’

She inhales deeply before she starts. “OK, I had this . . . this other idea.” She say as her voice above a whisper. “Only, everyone got a bit carried away, and now everyone’s emailing about it. And they think there’s a job involved –“

“A job?” Min Ho stares at her. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Sir Min Ho.” A guy suddenly come, claps him on the back as he passes. “Glad you’re interested in coming to Pyeongchang. I’ll be in touch.”

Shin Hye notices how shock Min Ho as he heard it. And, she’s actually forgotten about accepting this Pyeonchang trip too. ‘Oh my God! I’m dead. I’m so dead!’ She look at Min Ho, supress her apologetic smile which hardly for her to do so.

“Min Ho, OK, I don’t know what’s going on.” A girl with glasses and a very intense way of speaking coming to them. “I don’t know if you’re playing us for fools, or what.” She seems a bit stressed out and keeps pushing her hair back off her brow. “Anyway. Here’s my CV. You know how many ideas I’ve had for this company, but if we all have to keep jumping through even more bloody hoops, then . . . whatever, Min Ho. Your call.”

“What . . . I –“ Min Ho breaks off in bafflement.

“Just read my personal statement. It’s all in there.” The girl stalks off.

 

Once again, there’s a silent beat.

 

After a few moment, Min Ho wheels around, with his face so threatening. “OK! Start from the beginning. What did you do?”

Shin Hye feel a quavering inside. “I sent an email.” She scuff her foot, like a naughty child. “From you.”

“To whom?”

“Everyone in the company.” She cringe as she say the words. “I . . . I just wanted everyone to feel . . . encouraged and positive. So I said everyone should send their ideas in. To you.” She explains as her voice weaker and slower towards the end.

“You wrote that? Under my name?” He ask, lividly.

“I’m sorry.” She say breathlessly. “I thought it was a good idea. But some people thought you were trying to sack them. And other people think you’re secretly interviewing for a job. And everyone’s got into a tizz about it . . .” She paused, biting her lips. “I’m sorry.” She end lamely.

 

“Sir Min Ho, I got your email!” A girl with a ponytail interrupts them eagerly. “So, I’ll see you at dance classes.”

“What?’ Min Ho eyes swivel in his head.

“Thanks so much for the support. Actually, you’re my only pupil so far! Bring comfortable clothes and soft shoes, OK?”

Shin Hye glance at Min Ho and gulp at his expression. He seems literally unable to speak. ‘Yah, what’s wrong with dance classes?’ “Hrmm, sounds great!” She says encouragingly, as she notice his eye turn to her.

“See you next Tuesday evening, Sir!” The girl says as she walk off.

As she disappears, Min Ho turns to her. His face is so stormy. “Exactly how many emails have you sent in my name?” He sounds calm, but dangerous at the same time.

“I . . . not many.” She flounder. “I mean . . . just a few. I only wanted to help –“

“If you were my PA I’d have you fires on the spot and quite possibly prosecuted.” He spits the words out as though he’s a machine gun. “As it is, I can only ask for my phone back and request that you –“

 

“Min Ho! Thank God for a friendly face!”

“Mr. Cheon.” Min Ho demeanour instantly changes. His eyes light up and his icy expression seems to melt.

“Good to see you. I didn’t know you were coming.” A man in his sixties, wearing a pinstriped suit over a groovy floral shirt, raising a glass to them.

Shin Hye raise back in her awestruck. ‘He is . . . the great Mr. Cheon Ho Jin!’ She remember the photo of him that she Googling.

“Never turn down a bash, if I can help it.” Mr. Cheon says cheerfully. “Missed the speeches, have I?”

“Spot-on-timing.” Min Ho grins. “Don’t tell me you sent your driver in to see if they were over.”

“I couldn’t possibly comment.” Mr. Cheon winks at him. “Did you get my email?”

“Did you get mine?” counters Min Ho, and lowers his voice as he continue talking.

And they get into the talking before they both burst into laughter.

“You are persistent.” Says Min Ho at last. “I hope he’s grateful. Now, you know I’m just back from China? Few things we should discuss.”

 

‘OK! That’s it. I’m totally zone out by them. It’s good anyway, at least for now.’ Shin Hye tells herself as she watching them. ‘Well, I don’t mind. Or . . . maybe I should just creep away?’ She glance around. ‘While I still have the chance.’

“Min Ho, do introduce me to your friend.” Mr. Cheon Ho Jin cuts into her thoughts, as she instantly look up at him and smile back nervously.

She glance at Min Ho which she assume has no desire at all to introduce her to Mr. Cheon Ho Jin. His expression clearly tell that he has internal struggle whether he should or should not introduce her.

“Mr. Cheon, this is Park Shin Hye.” He tells. “Shin Hye this is Mr. Cheon Ho Jin.”

“How do you do.” Shin Hye shake his hand, trying not to give away her excitement.

“Are you at The Arcadia or Paradigm Retail?” Mr. Cheon enquires politely.

“Neither.” She say awkwardly. “Actually, I’m a physiotherapist.” She explains. She notice Min Ho surprise expression, probably didn’t expect it, since he never ask in details about her.

“A physiotherapist!” Mr. Cheon face lights up. “How wonderful! The most underrated of all the medical arts, I always think. I’ve been going to a physio for my back, although he hasn’t quite cracked it . . .” he winces slightly.

“You should see So Ra.” She say. “She’s my boss, and she’s amazing. Her deep-tissue massage makes grown men weep.” She tells with full of assure.

“I see.” Mr. Cheon looks interested. “Do you have a card?”

“Oh yes.” She’s response in awe. Can’t believe someone as great as him ask for her card. She reach in her bag and produce a card. “Here you are. We’re in Itaewon. I’m not sure you may find it because -“

“I know Itaewon well.” Mr. Cheon wink at her. “My first flat was there.”

“No way!” She can’t believe it. She thought a person like him, come from such well background and grown up in such area as Gangnam.  “Well, you’ll definitely have to come and see us now.” She smiles excitedly. “Well, Fit Physio is just a small and yet a normal physio clinic.” She explains. “But, I guarantee you will satisfied.” She smile lovingly to him.

Just before Mr. Cheon able to reply, a guy approaching. “Mr. Cheon. Delighted to see you here. Always a pleasure. How are things going? Found the secret to happiness yet?”

Mr. Cheon gives the guy an easy smile.

“And Min Ho. The main man. Couldn’t do what we do without you.” The guy claps on Min Ho back.

Shin Hye stare at the guy furiously. ‘What the . . . didn’t you called Min Ho a stubborn- a moment ago?’ She remember he was the same guy earlier.

“Thanks.” Min Ho smiles tightly.

 

“Sir Min Ho! Sorry to interrupt. I’m Sung Joon. Thanks so much for joining. It’s going to make such a difference to have you on board.”

“Joining?” Min Ho shoots a sharp look at Shin Hye.

‘Oh God! Oh God! I have no idea. Faster, faster! Think, think!’ Shin Hye mind working overtime, trying to recall. ‘What was it again?’

“For the hiking to Bukhansan.” Sung Joon explains. “We’re so excited that you want to sign up!”

‘Oh my God! Hiking to Bukhansan. How can I totally forgot about this?’ Her stomach flips as she remember.

“Hiking to Bukhansan?” Echoes Min Ho, with a kind of grin smile on his face.

‘OK, yes! I remember now. I sent the email quite late night. And . . . I’d had a glass of wine that time. Or, maybe two. Or . . . three. Yahhhhh! What have I done??’ She risk a tiny peek at Min Ho. ‘His expression is dangerous. What should I do now?’ On impulse, she bites her lip.

“We were all really touched by your email, Sir.”  Sung Joon grasps Min Ho hand earnestly in both of his. “I never knew you felt that way about the poverty. You know, the fees of joining the hiking will be contribute to the charity. We’re so glad to have you joining us. See you soon. I take a go first.” He nod slightly to Min Ho and Mr. Cheon and heads off to the crowd.

Shin Hye almost don’t dare to look at Min Ho. She feel so guilty as one by one of what she’d done been revealed. ‘This is so bad! What should I do? What should I say now?’

“Well!” Says Mr. Cheon, looking amused. “Min Ho, I had no idea you have interest for hiking.”

“I’m not . . .” Min Ho seems barely able to operate his voice. “I . . .” He helplessly look at Mr. Cheon.

While Shin Hye trying frantically to think of something she can say to redeem the situation.

“Now, Shin Hye, please excuse me.” Mr. Cheon cuts her thoughts. “Much as I would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter