My memory

Love at First Note

2 weeks later

 

I was in my room again, without Min Na. I sat on my bed, my iPod playing songs repeatedly as I read a magazine. It was quite windy outside, and although it was a good time for me to have a breath of fresh air, I didn’t feel like going out. The rays of sunshine flashed towards my room through the big window, making the whole room blindingly bright. Lazily, I stretched my short legs and fluffed my pillows, resting on it. It was Saturday, and I had no plans but to enjoy the time off with my bed. I was still wearing my pajamas. A skinny plain white t-shirt and shorts. My hair was released and only a small white head band secured my fringe.

 

I jumped at a sudden knock on the door. The door creaked open and I found Kyuhyun who was smiling at the sight of me. What is it that he wants now? I thought. He had his hair in a mess (in a good way, though, I liked it like that) and he was wearing a grey t-shirt and three quartered jeans. He looked good.

 

“Hey.” He smiled. “Si Won let me in.” He informed. I nodded my head and continued reading the magazine as he came closer towards my bed and then sat on it in front of me. “What are you listening to?” He asked.

 

I took off the earphone and asked; “What?”

 

“What are you listening to?”

 

“Tchaikovsky.” I said.

 

Fancy.” He chuckled.

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked. It wasn’t that I didn’t want him here, but I was curious.

 

“Your brother and your sister were in the kitchen, cooking and giggling away, so I didn’t want to intrude.” He mischievously smiled.

 

Ugh.” I rolled my eyes, totally disgusted at the fact that Min Na was flirting with Si Won. It was obvious, really. It felt as if she tries to flirt with every guy I know. It was pathetic, and although this is hard to admit, I felt jealous, because it seemed as if the guys flirted back.

 

“She seems… enthusiastic.” Kyuhyun said, after minutes of searching a perfect word in his brain. “Although enthusiastic doesn’t seem enough to define her…” He said.

 

“Yeah, she’s always happy all the time. It makes me sick.” I said, faking a vomit.

 

“Aren’t you a ball of sunshine?” He said in a sarcastic tone. I glared at him, which made him stop his laughter.

 

“Well, you… have… personality.” He said, trying to make me feel better. Well, it sort of did, in a way. But his unsure tone made me feel as if he was being insincere. I let it slide though, because at least there was effort. “Honestly.” He smiled, patting my head. “And you have talent.” He winked.

 

“She has, too.”

 

“Really? What is her talent then?”

 

“She can cook.” I said.

 

“You can cook too…” He smiled.

 

“Yeah, spaghetti…. That’s it.” I laughed. “And she’s a ballerina.” I said, sadly. And of course, Min Na was exceptionally taller than I am. That’s how people differentiate us, by our height. Even if we looked almost exactly the same, our height had a big difference. She was slimmer, her body was proportionate, and she lives very healthily. Did I mention she is a vegetarian? Yeah. So Si Won changed the whole meal just because of her. Honestly, I love meat. Meat is happiness. So I wasn’t exactly happy when I found out.

 

“And you’re a flawless, beautiful musical actress.” He smiled. I blushed at the compliment, and my brain had a second of black out because I had no idea what to say. “Speaking of musicals, what are you performing this month?”

 

“Midnight sun.” I said, lighting up as he mentioned it. “It’s one of my favorites. It’s about this girl who had a disease and couldn’t go out during the day, and she met this guy who was a surfer, who doesn’t go out during the night.” I smiled. “Let’s go to the music room, I want to show you the musical piece that I most love.”

 

So I dragged him towards the musical room, and I took one of my guitars and started playing to “Goodbye Days.”

 

He stared, totally into the music, and he smiled. After finishing the last line, he cheered and clapped his hands excitedly, and then giving a thumbs up sign. He was speechless for a moment, and continued the thumbs up, making me blush again. “I still have not heard you play piano… you aspiring pianist.” I winked.

 

He laughed, and said that he couldn’t, but I insisted and pushed him towards my orange piano, and forced him to play it. He took a seat and asked me to sit next to him, so I shared the piano seat with him, getting ready to watch him play.

 

He moved his fingers swiftly on the keys of the piano, and it took me a while to recognize what he was playing. It only sounded familiar at first, but then I realized he was playing the famous ‘My Memory’ from Winter Sonata. I smiled instantly, as it was my favourite drama.

 

The feeling I had when he played was indescribable. I felt tingly, and a sudden rush of emotions went through my veins, my eyes were soaked in tears, my heart was beating fast, and I fell.

 

I fell… for him. The way he was just absorbed in the song, the way he moved his fingers and the way he slowly bobbed his head.

 

I didn’t even realize he stopped playing, because honestly I wished it lasted longer. He stared at me, smiling. He could see the tears in my eyes, and he smiled wider. Right at that moment, the tears fell on my cheek, and he wiped it. “Why are you crying?”

 

“It’s just…” I said. I couldn’t find the right words to say. Beautiful or amazing don’t do it justice. I sighed in frustration. “I’m sorry.” I lowered my head and stared at the cold floor, feeling incredibly stupid. To compare my musical number to his beautiful song was just… like comparing Park Myungsoo to Dennis O’ Neil.

 

“There’s no need to apologize.” He smiled. He slowly moved my face upwards to face him using his cold hands gently and slowly kissed me.

 

It was only a short kiss, and I didn’t have time to focus on it because suddenly the intercom beeped and Min Na and Si Won called us for lunch.

------------------------------

 

Lunch wasn’t anything fancy. It was just salad and something that I didn’t know. I just ate it without complaint, because of the sudden kiss; I was feeling extra good that day.

 

“Are you staying for dinner, Kyu?” Si Won asked, grabbing a piece of lettuce and shoved it in his mouth.

 

“Should I?” He asked, and then looked at me. I was unusually quiet during lunch, because I didn’t know what to say. My face was still blushing, and I was feeling quite high and dizzy.

 

“Of course. Tiffany and Soo- I mean, Taeyeon always have movie nights on Saturday nights.” He said, smiling.

 

“Well, sure then.” He smiled.

 

I smiled as well.

----------------------------------

 

“What are we watching tonight?” Si Won asked, going through the huge pile of DVDs in a basket. Everyone was seated on the big sofa, getting comfortable. I was sitting at the far end at the left side of the sofa, next to me was Tiffany, then there was a big gap between her and Min Na (for Si Won) and the other side of Min Na was Kyuhyun.

 

So technically, Min Na sat in between of Si Won and Kyuhyun. The seating wasn’t planned, but somehow she got to seat in between them, and I felt uncomfortable about it.

 

“Barbie and the Nutcracker!” Tiffany giggled.

 

“No way.” Si Won shook his head in disapproval. Going through the pile again. “What if we watch a horror movie?”

 

“No!” Tiffany yelled.

 

“Yes, yes, yes!” I smiled.

 

Although I regretted it moments later. The movie turned out to be really scary, and so Min Na took advantage of it and she held both Kyuhyun and Si Won’s hands. I could sense Tiffany felt some sort of discomfort as well, because she couldn’t focus on the movie but Min Na instead.

 

“This is so scary.” Min Na complained, her head dug deep on Kyuhyun’s chest, her hands clasping tightly on his grey shirt. I saw the scene, and couldn’t help but to get annoyed. I stood up and left.

 

I went to the kitchen to grab some coffee, when suddenly Kyuhyun came out of the room and towards the kitchen as well. “What happened?” He asked.

 

I got bored.” I said, holding the cup tightly to avoid throwing it at him. He wasn’t at fault, no he wasn’t. It was Min Na and it was partially my fault because Kyuhyun wasn’t mine. He just kissed me, that’s it. It wasn’t as if we were married. I had no right to be jealous.

 

“You were bored of a horror movie?” He chuckled. “That’s the first time I heard anyone saying that.”

 

Suddenly there was a call from Changmin, right on time because I wouldn’t have known what to say to Kyuhyun.

 

Oh Soo Jin! I mean... Taeyeon, glad you picked up.

 

“Yeah, what’s up?” I said cheerfully.

 

I just met Professor Lee

 

I lit up at the mention of his name.

 

He asked me to invite you to an orchestra concert next weekend. Are you up for it?

 

“Of course! That would be amazing!”

 

Yeap, it will. The four of us, again, I’m guessing.

 

“Yes.” I said excitedly.

 

We ended the call and Kyuhyun stared at me curiously. “Who was it?”

 

“Changmin.” I smiled.

 

“Oh.” He frowned. “What did he want?”

 

“He invited me to an Orchestra concert.”

 

“And you’re going?”

 

“Of course.” I smiled.

 

 He didn’t smile back, though.