Truths and promises

Love at First Note

Taeyeon's POV

"Tiffany, wait... please. Just stop. Listen, I can explain." I tried to catch up with Tiffany who was speedwalking at the hallway. She wouldn't answer my call and the only way i could try explaining was if i could talk to her face to face.

"Really? Because I'd really like to hear it." Tiffany said sarcastically.

I huffed and puffed, catching my breath. "I- I was out."

"I know you were. How is that making me feel better?"

"I'm sorry for not listening to you or keeping promises. I really am."

"It's fine." she sighed. She and I both knew that she couldn't stay even 2 days being mad at me. We have plenty of fights but they are usually short and we always make up in the end.

"I promise i won't do it again."

"Don't." she simply said.

"Don't?" I asked in confusion.

"Don't promise me. Just in case you won't keep it, so don't promise me.Just do your best, but don't promise."

"Alright..."

"Where were you , anyway?"

I couldn't possibly tell her about what happened with Professor Lee, she'd freak out and will ask me if she could tag along. I usually wouldn't have any trouble with that if it were some other guys from college, but this is Professor Lee we're talking about here, mega hottie that i've been crushing on since the first time i stepped into College. I've been wishing that i was in his medicine class or physics or even history.

"I was visiting my dad." I said. I wasn't technically lying. I did visit my dad.

"Oh, i'm really sorry about that..." She said in a sympathetic look.

"It's okay... I mean, there's nothing we could really do about it.... Let's just... change the subject." I was feling uncomfortable. Tiffany nodded and smiled.

"Look who won the maths olympiad this year." Tiffany pointed towards a poster hanging on the bulletin board.

"Isn't that Shim Changmin fromPhysics department?" I asked.

"H-How did you know? Do you know him?"

"No, do you?"

"No."

"He... he's in Professor Lee's physics class. His dad owns the hospital my dad is in. A rich genius, he is." I said.

"How do you know all these stuff if you don't know him?" Tiffany raised an eyebrow.

"I have my ways." I winked. "But i always wonder why he's in physics when he could have much success with mathematics... or even medicine since his dad is a doctor."

"Or a model since he's sucha hottie." Tiffany giggled.

Suddenly i remembered my promise to Professor Lee. He asked me to meet him so he could give me my ticket. I excused myself from Fany and ran towards the physics department where i found Shim Changmin reading a book outside of class.

"Room 201." I read the sign aloud. "Is Professor Lee in here?"

"Yeah. he's teaching, so you better not disturb." He said, not taking his eyes off the book.

"You're reading japanese haiku poetry?"

"I'm afraid so."

"That's nice."

"I understand nothing of it."

"When was the last timeyou read poetries?" I asked.

"Does 'the Cat in the Hat.' by Dr Seuss count as poetry?" He asked.

I laughed for a while, until i saw that he wasn't laughing along. "Oh, you're serious?" I asked,

"When i was 10." He continued.

"You read Dr. Seuss when you were 10?"

"No, I read Dr. Seuss last week. But since that doesn't count, then the last time i read poetry was when i was 10, i read shakespeare."

"Impressive."

He didn't say anything and continued reading the book in his hands.

"Why are you outside of class?"

"I got bored. So Professor Lee made me leave."

"I thought you were his favourite student."

"I still am. He was doing me a favour."

The door of Room 201 opened and it was Professor Lee. He looked at me in a surprised manner. "You waited for me?" He asked.

"Yeah... it was no big deal. My theater class won'tstart until 3....so..."

Professor Lee searched his laptop bag and he smiled when he saw a piece of shining paper in gold and black. "Here it is. Keep it safe. See you there." He smiled.

--------------------------------------------------------

After practicing our new musical, i came home right away because i knew Kyuhyun would come to our house today. I don't know why I was so excited. I hated him, but i guess he's interesting and he makes me laugh. Idiot. I'm such an idiot around him.

"Oppa~ I'm home." I said.

"Hey kitty cat, how was class today?" Si Won asked. He was in front of his laptop.

"It was alright. What's for dinner?"

"I didn't cook."

"Am I supposed to cook?"

"No."

"Oh."

"Kyuhyun left early. He said he had to meet his dad for an emergency."

"Oh."

"Why do you keep saying oh?"

"Oh... nothing." I was a little disappointed that i couldn't see Kyuhyun and I don't even know why. Of course he was sarcastic and playful and sometimes really annoying and hurtful, but he was fun to be around and I like his company. "I talked to Tiffany today." I announced.

"I'm waiting for the good news." Si Won smiled.

"We're friends again."

"Great." He said, giving me a high five. "See? All is well."

"But... you have not talked to appa."

Si Won sighed. "I will talk to him....if"

"If?"

"If you follow me."

"Of course! That would be no problem." I smiled.

"And we'll have dinner at mom's restaurant first."

"Fineeee." I pouted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

We arrived at 'Secret Rendezvous' at 8, mom greeted us with such joy and poise. She was always like that. My mother, Park Mi Yeon is a lovely lady with smooth fair skin and cheekbones, great hair, and she's also very tall. She's 41, but she looks as if she's 24. She can be very dramatic at times and she's a little too over herself. Dad and mom has a big age difference. Dad is 52 years old. They got married when they were really young, but they only tried to have a baby years and years after they got married because they wanted to 'enjoy' their moments. Soon dad got tired of mom and her over dramatic complaints so dad cheated on her with a less appealing woman in mid 30's who apparently was my dad's friend from Russia.

"Look at my darlings." Mom kissed my cheek and Si Won's.

The restaurant seem a bit full, but mom reserved a seat for the three of us.

"Where's Mr. Leroy?" Si Won asked.

"You mean Jacques?" She asked in the most lady-like manner I've ever seen anyone does.

"How many Leroys do you know, mom?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

Mom ignored my rude comment and said "He's in the kitchen, preparing the food you'll eat, of course."

The waiter came just in time before i could spit another rude comment. "What will you have?"

"Bouillabaisse ... and as for dessert, Mousse au chocolat" Si won said after minutes going through the menu.

I decided rather quickly. "Orange juice and kimchi stew."

The waiter laughed at me and so did mom. "Moules à la crème Normande for the silly lady over here. And i think she would love Choux à la Crème for dessert. As for me, ask the sommelier for the best champagne."

The waiter bowed to us and left. I gave mom a look. "Mom, i think i can order for myself."

"I don't think you can." Mom sneered.

"I really want to leave." I told Si Won. He shook his head and calmed me down. He reminded me that i already promised him. "I know i promised you but this is not worth it. I really want you to visit him in the hospital, but i couldn't stand it if my own mom is treating me like a --"

"Visit who?" My mom suddenly asked.

"Dad." Si Won simply said.

"Yeah. Dad, who currently is in the hospital. Did you know that?" I asked in the most rude manner.

"Of course I know that. Serves him right."

"You---" My heart just broke into pieces. How could she say that about him in front of me, and in front of Si Won? She knew how close i was with him. She knew how much i loved and care for him. I stared at si won who was also in shock.

"If you need to know, darling, he did not cheat on me. I did."

"Mom...." Si Won was as surprised as i was.

"He slapped me. How could I stay with someone who slapped me in the face in public? Just because I finally told him that Soo Jin wasn't our baby.... That's right, Soo Jin. You're not my daughter. I was pregnant with a baby girl for 5 months when suddenly I had the urge to drink. So i drank and I drank until I got drunk. I didn't care about the baby. I knew your father cared, but i never really wanted any of you. I was so drunk that i fell, and the baby was gone. I knew that if i told your father, he would be really upset, so i adopted a baby and pretended it was ours. When your father and I divorced, your father couldn't afford to take care of the both of you, so he expected me to do so! How foolish of him to think that I would take care of a 20 year old girl and a 23 year old boy!"

I remember how i couldn't breathe at the time. I was trying to sink everything in, but the way mom snobbishly said those words about dad and about me, and about si won is too much to handle. Si Won glared at her for a long time.

Our dinner came after she told her lengthy story and I stared at the food that mom ordered for me. Moules à la crème Normande which is white wine mussels and Choux a la Creme which is creampuffs.

"Firstly mom, I'm allergic to mussels. Secondly, I don't drink, so i don't eat or drink anything with wine. thirdly, I hope you're paying for the dinner because Si Won and I are leaving now.." I grabbed one of my creampuffs and stuffed it in my mouth. Then i grabbed Si Won's hand to leave.

"Oh and lastly, I'm really glad i'm not your daughter. "

------------------------------------------

"I'm sorry." Si Won said as he drove the car. "Mom really shouldn't have said that.... and I didn't know."

"I'm really sorry too." Of course I was sorry. I didn't mind that mom didn't take care of me when she divorced with dad. But the fact that she didn't even want si won who was in fact her own son, that is just simply evil. Especially since Si Won really look up to her and loved her. "Where are we going?" I asked because Si Won was heading towards another road.

"The hospital to visit dad."

"It's already 10, si won. It's late."

"A promise is a promise."

------------------------------------

We walked in the dark hallway where only a few nurses were there. "Yes, sir?" One of them asked Si Won.

"We want to visit our dad. His room is 421."

"It's too late to visit patients in level 4."

"Why?"

"Level 4 is for emergencies and severe illness and they need privacy."

"We're his children. This is an emergency." Si Won pleaded.

"What kind of emergency?"

"Just let them in." a deep voice said.

It was Kyuhyun. I looked at him in confusion.

"But..." the nurse hesitated.

"Just let them in." He said again.

The nurse left so that we could go visit our dad. I let si won meet dad in his room and i waited outside with kyuhyun to give them some privacy. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sick. I have only three months to live." Kyuhyun stared into my eyes. His stare intense and serious.

"What?!"

"I was just kidding." He smiled. "I was visiting my sick mother."

"Really? I'm sorry."

"I was just kidding." He chuckled.

"Yah! Be serious!"

"Fine... my dad works here. He's the doctor that is treating your father right now."

"You're kidding again, right?" I nudged his shoulder.

"Oops, caught." He smiled. "How come you didn't tell me your dad is a patient here?"

"It was only a few months ago that he was sick. He's a good person. He was my best friend, and he's always there for me, even before Si Won oppa was. I just found out today that he's not really my father and I was adopted." I didn't even know why I told him everything. I guess it was because i felt like i could trust him. Soon I told him everything. I told him about my mother, I told him about what happened at the restaurant, and all he could do was stare at me crying.

I waited for him to respond. But instead of saying anything, he hugged me. He hugged me so tightly that i felt like crying harder.

Si Won came out of the room minutes later with a straight face.

"What happened?" I questioned.

"He... He remembers me."

I was half glad for my brother, but i was a little upset and disappointed. My dad doesn't remember me, but he remembers Si Won. Was it selfish of me to be jealous?

----------------

Author's note : Thank you for subscribing! If there are any grammatical errors then I'm sorry. I'll fix it later. Now my arms are hurting and i need to sleep!