You still have me

Love at First Note

I contemplated whether or not i should wear my dress for the Opera. It was a silk champagne coloured dress with lace, and i fear it might be a bit too much. So I asked Si Won for his opinion. He ended up being no help and he just said "You'll look good in whatever." So I decided to look for more options.

I went into my walking closet where i found hundreds of gowns and outfits, but nothing caught my eye. I searched in deeper and found a lavender coloured mini dress that once belonged to my mother. It was formal-casual so I tried it on. I looked at myself in the mirror, and decided to wear a pearl necklace and flat ballerina shoes instead of high heels.

I went downstairs to show my brother my decision and he immediately gave a thumbs up while smiling broadly and nodding his head like an idiot. "Where did you find mom's dress?"

"In my closet. I forgot that she gave it to me when i was fifteen." I smiled nervously.

"Well, you look great. It's cold outside so grab a coat. Want me to send you there?" He asked.

I walked over to a small closet and grabbed a furcoat. "If that is okay with you."

-----------------------------------------

"Becareful in there."Si Won stopped the car in front of the entrance.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, laughing. "You're saying as if I'm going to a 2PM concert. Don't worry, brother, I won't be putting my hands up and banging my head. Although, that would be fun."

Si Won ignored my funny comment and continued being serious. "Call me if there's any trouble."

"There won't be, i promise." I said, hugging my brother before i leave.

I went inside Seoul Arts Centre where i found a hall. Professor Lee was already there, looking as dashing as ever. "Soo Jin." He smiled as he saw me. "You're right on time." He smiled.

I was about to say something, until i saw an odd man beside him, looking right at me. After minutes trying to remember who it was, i finally knew. It was Changmin.

"Oh, annyeonghasaeyo, Changmin-sshi. Didn't expect you to be here."

"Well, i am." He said simply. What an odd man, he is.

"Now we'll just have to wait for Hyo Rin-sshi. She said she'll be here in a few minutes." Professor Lee suddenly said.

"Hyo Rin-sshi?" I asked.

"She's my old friend. She wasthe one that invited us. How lovely, right?"

"Yes, how lovely." I said slowly.

Hyo Rin sshi came a few minutes later, just as she said she would. She was a tall lady and even taller on her high sparkling heels. She tied her hair in a loose bun, and she wore a black dress. She looked so sophisticated and made me look stupid. As for her face, it was foxy she looked as if she wasn't pure korean and I was right, she is half korean and half Irish. She wore a red lipstick to match her clutch.

"Dong Wook." she greeted him with a light kiss on the cheek, and she did the same to Changmin.

"This is a student from College, Choi Soo Jin." Professor Lee introduced.

"Well, well, Choi Soo Jin sshi, I am Yoo Hyo Rin. I think we can be good friends." She hugged me tightly, and it caught me a little off guard, but i am glad she was friendly.

"The show is about to start, so why don't we go inside?"

-----------------------------------------

After the show ended, Professor Lee treated us to late dinner at a cafe near Seoul Arts Centre. I ordered mushroom soup.

"It was amazing, wasn't it?" Professor Lee smiled.

"It was. And I feel extremely underdressed as i walked in the hall." Hyo Rin said, covering he face in shame. I couldn't believe she said that. She looked better than any of the other ladies in there. I felt a little flustered because I felt very very very underdressed compared to her.

"No, you look amazing." Professor Lee said kindly. Now, i feel pretty jealous than flustered. He didn't even complimented me! T^T

After dinner ended, and Hyo Rin and Professor Lee left, Changmin and I were left alone at the side of the road. It was already 11.30 pm and i was waiting for my brother to pick me up and Changmin insisted to wait too,because he said it was dangerous for girls to wait alone in the middle of the night. We didn't say anything much because it was awkward.

"You like him, huh?" Changmin suddenly smiled, kicking a small rock. His hands stylishly in his jeans pocket, his hair hiding his eyes.

"Excuse me?"

"Professor Lee."

"Oh..." I smiled a little. "Was it obvious?"

"Pretty obvious if you ask me." He said, then paused, staring at the dress I was wearing. "You look pretty today.... I think Professor Lee forgot to mention that."

I looked at him with a satisfied smile. "It was my mother's when she was a teenager."

It got awkward again. I was mumbling to myself, wondering where Si Won oppa was. While waiting, i took a small book from my handbag.

"Dance, dance, dance." Changmin read the title of my book aloud. "Nice." He smiled.

I did't even get to read the book, because Si Won came at the exact moment. I bowed to Changmin politely and smiled. "Thanks. Havea safe drive home."

He didn't say anything or react to anything. He just stared at me as I went inside the car.

"Sorry I am late. Tiffany came earlier." Si Won apologized.

"Really? Why?" I asked.

"I guess we both forgot... Movie night every saturday. We were supposed to watch Harry Potter today."

"But we watched it last week."

"This week is 'Harry Potter The Half Blood Prince.'"

I sighed. Tonight had been wonderful, i guess. I get to watch an Opera show with my crush. But everything felt so wrong.

2 weeks later.

It was a beautiful morning of Autumn, which is my favourite season. Kyuhyun and I meet each other everyday if possible, and we have gotten really close. We were at a park nearby the hospital after visiting my dad. Doctor Cho told me that my father was already in a coma. But the good news is, after several tests, he found out that my dad will live longer than most of CJD patients.

"Kyuhyun, is there something wrong with me?"  I asked.

"What do you mean?" He was shocked by the sudden question.

"My life is a mess. I'm adopted, my mother hates me, my dad's in a coma. Did i do something wrong to deserve this?" I sobbed. Kyuhyun looked at me silently. He then smiled.

"Your life isn't completely a mess. You may not have your parents right now, but you might still have your real parents. You have si won, you have Tiffany, .... and you have me."

I was silent, not knowing what to say.

"Look, why don't you go search for your real parents?"

It wasn't such a bad idea at all. If i knew who my real parents are, i'd probably know myself too. But how am i able to? There was only one way.... my mother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"No way." she said.

"Why not, ma? You wanted to get rid of me, and this is your chance. I just want to know who they are, why are you so against it?"

"You're still my daughter. I took care of you, and I fed you."

"Please, ma. Please."

Kyuhyun, who came with me, took my side. He convinced my mom and after what seems like hours of arguing and debating, my mother finally gave up. She gave me a file that she kept in her office.

"Becareful. We have our fights, Soo Jin ah, but remember, I am still legally your mother."

"You are not legally my mother after you rejected the custody at the court."

"Soo Jin, you know I had no choice."

"Really, mother?" I asked.

I left with Kyuhyun, and we went to a silent place where i could put my mind at ease. I was only half ready to open the file.

But I did, anyway, and here is what it says-

Child name - Kim Taeyeon

Birth mother name - Jang Ri Eun

Birth Father name - Kim Ho Seung

Siblings/other - Kim Hyung Seun, Kim Min Na

Adopted parents - Park Mi Yeon & Choi Hae Jin

Adopted siblings - Choi Si Won

New child name - Choi Soo Jin