Birthday.

Love at First Note

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you."

I could hear the melodious chanting near. I was staying at my real dad's house for the weekend because they wanted me to spend our birthday together. I wasn't used to it but I tried to show a happy face in front of everyone. I clapped my hands along and saw the birthday cake with three candles on it. 

"Happy birthday Kim Mi Na, Kim Hyun Seung and Kim Tae yeon." my father sang. rather out of tune. "Happy birthday to you."

All three of us blew our candles. 

"Did you wish for something?" Mi Na turned to me, and I nodded.

I wish for the day to end.

"Well don't tell me." she smiled.

"I wasn't going to."

She ignored this with an annoyed eye rolling and stood up from her seat. "Appa, I have to go."

"Where?" he said, there was a slight disappointment in his voice. 

"I have a date." 

"With...who?" I asked. I didn't know she had a boyfriend- or any friends, for that matter. 

"Kyuhyun."

My heart dropped. How could he-- how could her. How could they. I was too speechless for words so i decided to stay quiet for the next 5 minutes to comprehend exactly what was going on.

"Where are you two going?" my father asked. I wish he didn't ask because i didn't want to know. So instead I hummed a song in my head to block out the words from . I focused on hyunseung instead, cutting a piece of cake and slowly feeding it to him. He was sitting on his wheelchair, smiling and unaware of all the sadness in my heart. I wish I could be like him, smiling despite not being able to do anything. 

After Mina left, I told my father that I was going to take Hyunseung for a walk around the park in front of our house. I grabbed the handle of the wheelchair and pushed it outside where we could have a time of our own. 

"Happy birthday to us, Hyunseung ah. I guess we are lonely." I sighed. He couldn't speak so all he did was giving me a ruffled moan to let me know that he heard me. It made me choke in tears because I felt like he wanted to comfort me but he couldn't. I stopped us and sat on a seat near the pavement of the park, looking at him. "Are you happy?" I asked and he slowly nodded. "I'm glad you are."

I was so sad to think that Kyuhyun was having fun with Mina on my birthday, too. Why was I thinking about him- why was I so upset that they're together when in fact he wasn't even mine? I felt like a part of me died somehow, like there was a  part of me safely reserving a spot for him but he's not there and the show's almost over. 

"Taeyeon."

I looked up, and Changmin was standing right in front of me. "Happy birthday." he said, with a bouquet of hydrangeas and tulips in his hands. "I heard you like purple flowers the most, and roses are too cliche."

I was shocked.

He felt the need to explain so he did. "I came to your house but your dad said all of you were out and that you're here at the park with hyunseung. Don't worry i left a sandwich on the table for Mina as her birthday present. And also a new wheelchair for hyunseung. It's automatic and so now he can move around without much energy."

I felt like crying again. "You bought him a new wheelchair?" he nodded.

"You didnt have to."

"I know. I know I didnt have to but I wanted to."

"Changmin---"

"No... don't say anything. I know what you're about to say, some kind of sympathetic 'i dont feel the same way' speech.-- I know it's obvious that I like you and you like Kyuhyun but I really dont care about that. In fact I understand completely and it's okay to reject me. Don't feel sory for me."

"Changmin." I stopped him. "I was about to say thank you." i laughed a little, accepting his bouquet of flowers. "Yes- i love purple flowers and no i didnt know that you like me." I smiled.

"oh.... well this is awkward."

"I won't say that little 'i dont feel the same way' speech. I won't." I said, taking his hand. I dont know why i'm doing this- maybe because i was vulnerable and lonely on my birthday. Maybe I just wanted someone to be with. Maybe the spot i reserved for Kyuhyun is ready for someone else.

"Let me think about it?" I smiled a little and he smiled too.

"Alright."

"One thing though.... you got her a sandwich but none for me????"

"let's go get a sandwich now. A birthday sandwich" he smirked. So the three of us, hyunseung, changmin and I went to the nearest cafe and enjoyed the rest of our day there. 

And for a few hours; i've completely forgotten about Kyuhyun. Until-

[ text ]

From : Mina 

"We're together officially~~~"

"What's wrong." Changmin questioned as he saw my face going completely white and pale.

"Nothing." I assured him. "I've thought about it.... and.... I accept you. Make me yours."