Chapter V. Getting closer

The Bodyguard
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter V. Getting closer

 It was early in the morning when Kyuhyun woke up. He had missed the opportunity to read Mirae’s and Manse’s file but he was going to make sure to read it before going to sleep. He had simply been too tired when he returned with her from the club to mind about anything else.

He hurried to take a shower and then dressed up in his casual clothes. He wasn’t sure yet what was the schedule for the day but the moment he would step into the living room he was going to be informed about it so he just left his room while placing his earpiece back on and making sure it was connected.

As he stepped into the living room, he was showed to the table and with just one look, he stopped dead in his tracks right behind Mirae’s seat. Maybe he was exaggerating but with one look at the President, it was obvious the older man was upset and there was a scolding expecting him.

“Good morning, Sir.” Kyuhyun greeted when he noticed the tense mood surrounding the table.

Across from him and to the side, behind the First Lady and to the right of the President, Sungmin and Siwon were also standing up but dressed in their usual black suits. Even the expressions they had on their face showed that something bad was going to follow.

Kyuhyun even wondered if he should have worn his black suit as well. Maybe he had gotten too used to all the missions he had in the past that required him to dress all casual and sometimes even like a beggar or poor person. With just one glance towards Mirae, he could tell she was pretty tense as well. In other words, they were going to get scolded for leaving the Blue House the previous night.

But that wasn’t the entire reason why Mirae was tensed. Sure she was expecting the scolding simply after seeing the serious look on her father’s face but she got really tensed up when Kyuhyun appeared behind her. Just having him behind her was making her freeze in place because of the kiss they had shared the previous night. She knew that if she were to tell her father about Kyuhyun kissing her, she could get rid of this annoying bodyguard.

She wasn’t dumb though. If she would get rid of Kyuhyun who at least seemed to try and help her out, the next bodyguard was probably going to be the same poker face pole that wouldn’t even blink or laugh regardless of how funny the voice might have been.

“Good morning to you too, Kyuhyun.” The President spoke as he turned a bit to look towards the other. “I heard you had quite an adventure last night.” he raised one eyebrow while looking towards the other.

Kyuhyun only glanced a bit towards Siwon, knowing very well that his colleague would have had to tell the President in the morning about the happening over the night and therefore having no choice but to let him know of the unauthorized outing of the two. It only took a small smile coming from Siwon to see that his friend was regretful about it. Sungmin didn’t look happy either.

“I apologize, Sir. I thought it was too late to ask permission.” Kyuhyun bowed his head politely, suddenly feeling the need to touch his gun so that he would feel safe.

“It was my fault. I lied to him about having permission.” Mirae spoke out for the first time, turning her head to look at her dead. “ He did watch out for me.” She added.

“I apologize, Sir.” Kuhyun interrupted her. “I should have followed protocol and asked for permission or return to the Blue House.” He continued as he glanced a bit towards Mirae to tell her not to interfere.

She wasn’t going to help him since she probably didn’t know exactly what was the protocol for such situations. Upon realizing there was no schedule of her going out at that hour, he should have called Siwon and asked if the President approves of the outing. Since the hour was late or in the eventuality of not getting in reach with the President, he had to take her back. And yet he didn’t.

“Surely you realized I would know in the morning.” The President turned his head away from Kyuhyun and cleared his voice, obviously upset.

Kyuhyun was used to being scolded but somehow receiving a scold from the president made him feel even worse. It was probably the highest stared mission he had received up to date and he had already risked once and could have gotten himself fired. He would have completely understood if he would have been dismissed because he completely disregarded protocol.

On the other hand, Mirae was a bit confused. She was given the perfect chance to get rid of the annoying bodyguard and even have him pay for kissing her all of the sudden but if that happened, she’d get a poker pole instead. Somehow the Siwon dude didn’t look as lenient as Kyuhyun and the quiet ones were almost always the scariest ones so she didn’t think getting Sungmin was a good idea either.

“This isn’t fair.” Mirae spoke as she turned towards her father.

At the same time, Kyuhyun, Manse, Siwon and Sungmin turned to look towards her. The First lady was busy eating so she didn’t even bother raising her eyes. They all together gulped as they saw the determined look on her face while talking to her father.

“He is here to guard me and protect me. I wanted to go out. He was just doing his job of taking care of me when I wanted to go out. I’m not a kid.” She spoke in a clear steady voice while keeping her body properly seated and politely looked towards her father.

“Are you defending him?” the president asked as he looked surprised towards her.

She was taken aback for a few seconds. Her intention wasn’t to exactly rescue him from a tricky situation but rather to ensure she wasn’t going to be given some weird as dude that didn’t even blink when around her. She wanted to be able to go to college without having an army of people around her or some weird person in the back of the class. It had been good when he just tried to blend in.

“I just wanted to get closer to her. I should have called it in but I didn’t. I am honestly apologetic and promise to not do this again.” Kyuhyun bowed his head again and kept it lowered.

“Get closer to her?” the President asked with interest.

“If I would have returned to the house, she would have been angry with me. I figured that if I help her go out and watch over her, she would understand my intention is to take care of her and would stop trying to make things harder.” He spoke as he kept his head lowered.

For a few seconds, Mirae was actually touched. Until he mentioned he was doing this so that she wouldn’t make things harder for him. Of course, it was all to make his work better so she wasn’t exactly sure why she had expected some real friends like of attachment. Plus, his last words were making it sound as if she was on purposely making his life hard and she had not even started annoying him properly.

“I will admit my daughter, while incredibly smart and beautiful, is a bit mean towards her bodyguard. I will let this one pass since I am sure you took all measurements to ensure her safety outside of the Blue House. I hope this will be the last outing you take her on without announcing me.” He glanced towards Kyuhyun before clearing his voice again.

“Sir...If I may.” Siwon began talking.

“Of course.” the president told him.

“We have received the entire staff under our car and we are responsible for the main safeguarding of the Blue House from the moment he arrived. The three of us share command over security matters and if Agent Cho seemed fit to leave the perimeter without announcing me or Sungmin, I am sure he had taken all the problems and possible happenings into account. Please trust us.” Siwon spoke and then deeply bowed his head.

Mirae was a bit surprised. She knew a few new bodyguards came to the house but she had not known they had taken over the entire security of the Blue House. Wasn’t the security body of the Blue House the final responsible for safety matters? Why were some NIS agents given control over this?

“That is also true. Starting Yesterday, the safety of my family and of the Blue House is under your command.” The President smiled a bit. “I am sure you will understand.” He raised his head to look towards Kyuhyun with a gentle smile. “As a father I am worried for my daughter. I would probably scold anyone if I was worried for her.” he continued.

“I understand entirely. I should have communicated with Siwon so that your heart might

Please log in to read the full chapter