Crazy

The Bodyguard
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter XIX. Crazy

 

Being summoned to a conference room didn’t sound like anything good. When Mirae heard that she had been summoned to the conference room, she had thought that maybe they had been caught and now she had to give some really private answers. She thought maybe the doctor said he had been blackmailed or that maybe Leeteuk had felt obliged to tell her father the truth. Because she didn’t know and she had a few possible ideas, she was nervous. Extremely nervous. Opening the door to the room, she had looked around to see if there was anyone there but the only person she could see was Kyuhyun. It had to be him though he was facing the window and had his back towards her. The bent arm and bandage holding it was the giveaway. As she got inside, the door closing behind her, he finally turned around. 

“Hi.” He spoke, sounding and looking extremely uncomfortable.

“Hi.” She answered back, a frown appearing on her face since she was starting to feel extremely awkward as well.

“Please... have a seat.” He relaxed a bit, a smile starting to appear on his face.

She nodded her head and then moved around the table, finally taking a seat. It was a room in which she had been before when her father had to give small statements or talk with some analysis so it wasn’t unfamiliar with it but her intuition was telling her something was going on and it somehow had to do with Kyuhyun. She couldn’t find any other reason for him to feel and be awkward towards her so she felt weird.

“What’s going on?” she asked, tilting her head to the side, looking for any clue from him.

“Well... I have to talk to you about something. And please...listen to the end.” Kyuhyun sat down as well, right next to her, turning it towards her.

“You are scaring me.” She admitted, eyeing him suspiciously.

“Well... you see. The team has thought of a way of putting an end to the threat and catching the responsible. The trick is.... it’s dangerous and you’d have to take part in it.” he carefully spoke.

Her eyes turned slightly wider when she heard that. It was a rather weird feeling to her since she had already been part of a plan and one that was dangerous but she had been left out and then suddenly found herself in the mist of shootings, diving into the water and getting killed four times. He had promised her that he would tell her the truth so she was glad and grateful that he kept his word and was telling her. If somehow, anyhow, she would have ended in another tricky situation that could almost kill her she would have made sure to kill Kyuhyun if she somehow survived.

“Alright....” she took a deep breathe, preparing herself for what was going to follow.

“We know it is the Prime Minister. And what happened before proved us he is using his daughter to get information on you. So you are his target.” Kyuhyun began explaining.

“Why me?” she asked, a frown appearing on her face once again.

“Well... he needs to have your dad drop a law. Getting to you would be easy leverage. It would be a clear message, one that surely your father would get if someone drops the hint and it would be the biggest incentive to force your father’s hand.” Kyuhyun took a moment, continuously checking her expression.

“So if he kills me, my dad would get the hint and drop trying to push the law.” Mirae let out a deep breath, her eyes closing while she took the time to process anything.

“No one went to get Manse.” Kyuhyun wanted to say again.

“Of course. He is a boy.” Mirae scoffed. “If the heir died, my dad would probably be even keener on making sure the law passes.” She smiled, not one bit happy with what she already knew.

“Yeah... and...” Kyuhyun took a deep breath. “We thought you could spend a night at their house, catch up with your friend,...” he continued.

Mirae could see Kyuhyun was having a hard time telling her the plan. It meant he didn’t like it, didn’t feel comfortable about it or feared something related to it.

“And...?” she encouraged him.

“He’ll have the perfect chance. We believe he might stage an invasion and assault to kill you.” Kyuhyun finally said the nastiest part.

“Somewhere in this plan has to be the part where I don’t actually die, right?” she glanced towards him, concerned about the way he looked and talked to her.

“Yes. The plan implies for you and the Prime Minister to reach a safe place in the proximity of an already eliminated killer so that he could use his gun and try to kill you, wanting to blame it on the killer. And of course, that’s when we will step in and make sure it doesn’t happen.” Kyuhyun move his hand, reaching for hers, wanting to brush his fingers against her, hoping she would feel a bit relaxed even when faced with such a dangerous plan.

“And you’ll catch him in action. What if it doesn’t happen?” Mirae asked, allowing him to hold her hand.

“If he doesn’t make a move, we will just have to do our very best to guard all family members or think of a new plan. If the assault happens but we don’t catch him on time...” he looked down, letting out a sigh.

That was the worst thing ever. There was a chance something could happen and he or any other agent would not be anywhere close enough to help her out. If the worst case scenario happened, she could die before they could actually do anything. If she died because of their plan, he was never going to forgive himself.  He didn’t even know how he was going to hold it together if that happened.

“So the risk is for me to die. The biggest pro argument is that this could put an end to everything. I could be ... relatively free and safe as I used to be.” Mirae now brushed her fingers against his own, trying to smile so as to let him know she was not going to blame him in anyway.

“Yes. We think he might take the chance since it will be one night and the law will be debated pretty soon. The urgency of the matter  ...” he wanted to talk again.

“I understand, Kyuhyun.” she smiled towards him. “I can die.”

“You don’t have to do this. Your father left the decision with you. If you don’t want to...” he was quick to let her know.

If he were to be honest, he didn’t want her to take part in the plan. It was risky, it was too risky, even more than the first plan. She could die and if that happened, then he was never going to forgive himself. He preferred having to stay less than a month more and do his best every day rather than put her in such a dangerous situation.

“I’ll do it.” Mirae spoke, though not sounding very confident.

“Mirae...” Kyuhyun looked at her, absolutely displeased.

“I understand the risk. I trust you.” She moved her other hand, now both of hers taking his in her own.

“I might not be there.” Kyuhyun leaned closer to her, brushing her fingers and attempting eye contact.

“Because of your arm...” she let out a sigh, lowering her head, lips pursed together.

“They might let me join, they might not but... it is dangerous.” Kyuhyun pondered a bit on how much skinship he could do with her. “I honestly don’t want you to do this.” he admitted.

It was unprofessional to do that. His personal opinion on the matter made no difference. It was insignificant and uncalled for. Then again, this was something personal and most of his team seemed to know so there was no need to hide behind the finger. He had talked to her as an agent and now he was talking to her as a person that cared a lot for her. Maybe it wasn’t love but they were feelings and those feeling made him worry for her, care about her safety, wanting her to be happy and safe and sound, preferably by his side.

“I know. But if your team is as good as you, then I will trust them too. And you will be there.” She raised her head, biting into her lower lip a bit, smiling towards him.

“Will I?” he smiled back, his right hand cupping her face.

“It’s my call, right?” she leaned into his touch, enjoying the moment.

There was a moment of silence in which she enjoyed the feeling of his skin against hers. Was she weird for having missed that feeling, the touch? She had gotten attached to him as he served her as her bodyguard and it

Please log in to read the full chapter