Light Up The Sky

Pretty Boy

Lunch ended up being toasted sandwiches and coffee in a warm, modern café on a rainy Saturday afternoon. The sleek interior with it's minimalist decoration and soft mood music, though not at all to Yongguk's taste, felt like the right place to be. It was definitely the sort of place he could picture Himchan visiting in his spare time. The man looked so comfortable in his surroundings, so naturally a part of this sophisticated yet independent world with its encompassing smell of roasted coffee beans and black napkins. It had been a surprise when he'd ordered an iced coffee, Yongguk had pinned him more of a cappuccino sort of guy.

He'd like to have spent more time thinking about Himchan's beverages, musing over if it was just this drink in particular or if he also preferred iced tea. He'd liked to have given more attention to the café and the gentle patter of rain on the windows. He'd like to have made himself comfortable with the warm drink between his palms as Himchan talked about his week and his life. He'd have liked that to have been what they did at lunch.

Instead, Himchan had him fixed with a stern look as he squirmed in the uncomfortable rigid wooden seat.

“So let me get this straight,” he said slowly in that deep, rough voice, each syllable cutting into Yongguk's conscience, “despite everything that you said to me last time we saw each other, you went ahead and used me as a fake boyfriend – when I wasn't even there – to get out of a difficult situation.”

Yongguk felt like shoving his face into his drink. The physical scalds would hurt less than the emotional one he was getting. “Well, when you put it like that...”

“That's exactly what it sounds like happened, so if you can tell me I'm wrong I'd love to hear it.” He closed his lips around his straw, the liquid up with eyebrows raised. He swallowed with a soft noise, adam's apple bobbing a little.

Yongguk drew his gaze away and looked down at his drink. He didn't have an answer.

“Hm, that's what I thought.” Himchan tapped the table with his fingertips, pulling his bottom lip between his teeth.

Yongguk let his gaze wander up as he took a breath to say something, but dragged his back down quickly.

“Well, I suppose despite the drinks and lunch I do owe you a lot. I can pose as your fake boyfriend so your friends will leave you alone, but we have to agree this is the last time we fake-date otherwise it'll just get out of hand.”

Yongguk let out a relieved sigh. “Yeah, definitely the last time. No offence but I don't want to fake-date you ever again.”

“Too bad, I am offended.” Himchan straightened himself up indignantly.”

“Ah! No, I'm sorry! I meant... I prefer to properly date people, you know?”

There was a very long silence while Himchan's eyes widened slowly and his eyebrows raised into his hairline. Yongguk felt his whole face burn and almost wished he had just poured his drink over himself instead.

“That came out wrong,” Yongguk spluttered out, “That's- I meant fake-dating just feels untruthful and doesn't sit right with me...” He buried his face in his hands, whole body screaming with embarrassment.

To make it worse, Himchan was laughing into his palm. A few people had glanced over at them, mildly curious as to what had happened, but lost interest soon enough. Himchan reached out and gently pulled his hands from his face.

“Calm down, Bang. That's hardly the worst slip of the tongue. We've all sworn in front of children.”

He frowned. “I sure as hell haven't.”

“Oh.” This didn't seem to bother Himchan at all as he sipped his coffee, chin in hand.

Yongguk shook his head a little, raising his mug to his face.

“So what am I expected to wear to this night out with your friends?”

“Uh,” he frowned, drink still to his lips, “I don't know, whatever you want.”

“Well it depends on what we're doing and who your friends are.”

“We're just going out for drinks and live music. They're just some guys, you know?”

“Okay but are they straight guys? Are they expecting me to be open about our pretend relationship or act like I'm casual about the whole thing?”

Yongguk frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“Am I doing a shirt and skinny jeans or am I doing gold leather booty shorts?”

He choked on his coffee, stifling his coughs into his arm. Himchan watched him with a smug grin.

“I'm joking, of course. But I do need to know if I'm expected to be hanging on your arm the whole time of if I'll just be one of the guys who happens to your sometimes.”

Yongguk bit his tongue to stop himself screaming. “Never say anything like that again. Just... I don't know, be how you usually are? It's just one night, don't worry about it.”

Himchan hummed a little and pocked his tongue out to drag his straw back into his mouth, drinking thoughtfully. Yongguk buried himself in his own drink, half wishing he'd choked to death.  


 

Soundtrack: Yellowcard - Light Up The Sky