My Shining Star

Pretty Boy

Yongguk flicked the lights of the practice room on, enjoying the absolute silence of a well sound-proofed studio. There were no windows, so no natural light could illuminate the room, only the clinical white overhead lamps that reflected off the white walls. He set his bag down in the corner as he waited for today's session to begin. He'd be working with Junhong again today, developing his annunciation and seeing how fast he could spit before it needed further practice. It would be a lot of vocal warm-ups today.

As he was just turning his phone off so as to make sure it wouldn't badger him during the session, the young trainee he'd been waiting for slipped into the room.

“Ah, Junhong, You're early. Is there something you wanted?” He tucked his phone away in a pocket in his bag and straightened up to look at the younger boy.

“Uhh, not really.” Despite this, the kid had a strange knowing grin on his face.

He frowned, “What is it?”

“Nothing, nothing really...” Junhong looked around the room as though he'd never seen it before, fantastically interested in the walls, “I just didn't know you were seeing someone.”

He blinked. “Seeing... Someone?”

“There's pictures of you and him at a Valentine's day event on Facebook.”

He internally kicked himself. Of course he'd been tagged in the photos. This is what happened when you had your students on social media. “No, Junhong, we're not seeing each other. That's ridiculous. He's just a friend who's mother was involved – it was a coincidence that we ran into each other there.”

“Hmm,” Junhong still had that knowing look on his face, “I don't know. I don't usually do this with my friends.”

Yongguk was baffled for a moment, until the younger boy pulled his phone out and turned the screen to him. There was a still image of him and Himchan, the other man's hand on his face and their lips so close that he'd have said they were touching if he didn't know better. Even from the distance the photo was taken, his blush was clear. And, he was surprised to see, so was Himchan's.

“That's not-” he cleared his throat, “That's not what it looks like.”

“Please,” Junhong rolled his eyes, “You don't have to keep it a secret! I'm glad you found someone!”

“Junhong, It's not-”

“You're really cute together!”

“Junhong-”

“Don't worry, I won't say anything to any of the others. But They probably already know.”

Yongguk's stomach sank.

Junhong seemed to pick up on this, because he quickly added, “I'm sure they're all just as happy. No one here is gonna judge you or anything. We're all here for you.”

“That's not quite what I'm worried about,” he mumbled.

“Um?” Junhong tilted his head a little.

“Doesn't matter. Listen, lets just get on with today's session and forget this whole thing.”

“Okay, I'll stop talking about your secret new boyfriend~”

“He's not- Oh my god.” He buried his face in hands. There was no way he was going to talk his way out of this and be believed.

 

Himchan leaned back in his chair, nibbling at his lunch and gazing out of the window. Unfortunately his current teaching room was on the side of the building that got the least light, and he often had to judge when the room had become so dim that it required turning the lights on. In the summer it wasn't so bad, but it was still late-winter and reading sheet music in poor conditions was a strain on everybody. He was just lifting his drink to his lips when someone burst into his classroom.

“Himchan! I found you!”

He lowered his drink and glanced irritably over to the intruder, only for his face to soften a little. “Jonguppie! To what do I owe the pleasure? Come in, grab a seat if you can find one that isn't a stool.”

Jongup grinned and dragged a chair over, sitting on it backwards and resting his arms over the back. “You know, I always thought we were pretty good friends.”

Himchan frowned a little. “We are. You're easily one of my favourite people. Why? Did someone say something? Is that scoundrel Daehyun and his lackey Youngjae spreading nonsense again?”

Jongup himmed, “I always thought Daehyun was the lackey. Youngjae is definitely the smarter one.”

“Yeah, that's fair. I'll give you that one. Now cough up.”

“Cough up? Cough up what?”

Himchan rolled his eyes. “You know what I mean. Tell me why you've burst into the music college. Shouldn't you be practising some routine?”

“No, nothing until theory.” He remained quiet until Himchan glared at him, and a grin crossed his face. “I came to make sure we're still good friends.”

“Of course we are. What's gotten into you?”

“So we tell each other everything?”

“Apparently not, going by the way you're saying nothing at all.”

“Himchan!”

“Yes,” he sighed, “We definitely tell each other everything. Or at least I tell you everything, you are an enigma no matter what comes out of your mouth. In fact it's the things that do come out of your mouth that confuse me the most.”

Jongup rolled his eyes. “Anyway. I ask because you definitely haven't told me something.”

“What do you want to know now? Am I supposed to start informing you of every meal?”

“No, mostly about your new boyfriend.”

Himchan stared at him blankly. “Like I said, you are an enigma. What has that troublesome two been saying now?”

“Nothing. I got it off facebook.”

Himchan gave him a withering look. “Facebook? Honestly, Jongup, I thought you knew better than vague statuses on social media.”

“I do. But maybe I don't know better than photos?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Photos?”

Jongup dug in his pocket and produced his phone. He tapped it a few times before bringing up a photo and showing it to his older friend. “This one, specifically.”

It was nothing incriminating, as far as Himchan could make out. It was of the volunteer event and had been zoomed in so as to make him the focus of the screen. In the picture he was stood next to Yongguk, both of them with a drunk in hand, talking. Yongguk was clearly in the middle of telling him something, while he was smiling and listening.

“Ack, That's a terrible photo. Look at my face, it looks huge.” He reached out and flicked the phone, causing Jongup to nearly drop it.

“Hey! Ignore your stupid face for a moment and focus on your face.”

“That makes no sense.”

“This!” He zoomed in on Himchan's face, then out, then back in as though he were a dramatic camera effect.

“Stop doing that!” He reached out to smack the phone away again, but Jongup pulled it back. “I don't understand how this photo makes you think I have a boyfriend.”

“Look at the way you're smiling at him. You barely ever smile like that these days! Not since your last boyfriend.”

Himchan flinched as though the memory itself had hurt him. “Don't talk about him.”

“Sorry.” He put the phone away. “But you see? You never smile like that. There's also one of you kissing him but this one definitely shows it more.”

Himchan waved a dismissive hand. “I was pretending to kiss him. My mother thinks we're dating and I had to keep her off my back.”

“So he's a fake-boyfriend?”

“Exactly.”

“That you have feelings for?”

Himchan grabbed a pencil and flicked it at Jongup, who let it hit him. “No. Get that nonsense out of your head.”

Jongup was sniggering. “I see. You didn't tell me because you haven't told yourself yet.”

“What are you even on about?” He asked, but it was too late. Jongup was already getting up and dragging his chair away.

“You might want to check your facebook more, Himchan, people are talking.” And with that, he left.

“Idiot.” Himchan mumbled under his breath, and necked his drink.  


 

Soundtrack: B.A.P - My Girl 

(come on this song came out at the perfect time)