So Late

Pretty Boy

The sky was grey, blotting out the stars with a white glowing smudge where the moon shone overhead. Himchan was surprised to see Yongguk waiting for him not far from the college, metal studs of his jacket softly shimmering in the low light like distant stars. Himchan loosened his scarf a little as he approached.

“Unusual for you to be around these parts,” He commented as he walked over.

“Not really, I pass through here on my way home usually. It's just that I leave a little later than I did today. By the time I catch up to you you're hanging around that road.” He started to head off, Himchan keeping in pace.

“I owe you a few drinks, right?” Himchan grinned and nudged him a little. “How about we try somewhere new? The last place had a little too much rabble happening for my liking.”

Yongguk barely contained a grin. Ah, the start of all their trouble. “There's a nice place not far from here. A bit busier but I've never had trouble.”

“Of course you haven't,” Himchan scoffed, “It's me I'm worried about.”

“You will be fine.” He gave the younger man a hearty pat on the shoulder as he lead them in the right direction.

 

They perched themselves at the bar, both leaning on the counter with feet propped against the stools' footrests. They had a pint each: Himchan's nearly empty and glass streaked with foam, Yongguk's at a moderate halfway point. It was busy, but open and spacious with an older and more traditional feeling to the whole décor. It was clear why Yongguk enjoyed it, it was very much to his style.

“I'm surprised you know Daehyun,” Himchan was saying, eyeing the last few dregs of his beer.

Yongguk raised his eyebrows. “Why? I told you that we met through the music industry.”

“I mean- I don't know... You're too good for that grease ball.”

Yongguk barely stifled a low chuckle behind his sleeve.

“I'm serious! Jung Daehyun is easily one of the worst people I have ever met. He's annoying as hell, rude, snarky and so in-your-face... Why are you looking at me like that?”

“Sorry,” Yongguk grinned and lowered his glass from his face where he'd been staring at Himchan as he drank. “I think maybe we'renot talking about different Daehyuns? The Daehyun I know is a really cheerful, well-mannered, respectful guy. Sure he's a bit excitable at times but he never gets in my space.”

“I'm sorry, are you talking about some alien Daehyun that has kidnapped the real Daehyun?” Himchan narrowed his eyes, “The one with the ball of pure evil for a best friend by the name of Yoo Youngjae?”

“Ah, yeah I've met Youngjae. He's a friendly guy, seems nice.”

“No?” Himchan nearly knocked his glass over with the force of his hands flying around as he talked, “Yoo Youngjae is pure evil. He's sarcastic, dangerous and smart as a fox. If it was just Daehyun I could handle it, but those two together are chaotic.”

“They seemed okay to me when they were around. They're really close friends, its good to see guys who can be like that with each other.” Yongguk reached out and moved Himchan's glass further away from the edge of the surface top.

“You've been lied to, Bang. Deceived. Duped.”

“I don't think so. Maybe they just treat you how you treat them.”

“I'm offended. I take back everything – you deserve all the trouble they will inevitably bring you.”

“Don't be like that.”

“Too late. I am a kindly angel who treats those two with nothing but love. And if they need some tough love, so be it.”

“Perhaps a little bit too much tough love, then?”

“There is no such thing for those two.”

“I wonder which version of them is the real version,” Yongguk hummed, “I hope it's the one I see.”

“It isn't.” Himchan assured him.

“Well, that's something we'll have to work out if we can get the two of them in the same room as the both of us – sober, of course – then we'll know.” He stood slowly and stretched, “but for now, I'm going to quickly use the bathroom. I'll be a minute.”

“I'm going to buy myself another drink then.”

“I'm not surprised.”

He watched Yongguk walk away and snorted a little. He turned and attempted to hail the attention of the barkeep, but was quickly distracted by someone sliding into the vacant stool beside him.

 

Yongguk rubbed his hands against his trousers as he exited the men's room and made his way back to the bar. At first he thought Himchan had left, not able to see his seat, but then he locked eyes with the younger man's. The gaze was desperate and pleading, flooding with relief as he approached.

“Ah, babe, you're back,” Himchan said in a smooth, almost sing-song tone as he reached a hand out to grab Yongguk's. The action took him so by surprise that he didn't attempt to stop it.

“Um,” he just about managed, when Himchan cut him off with a meaningful look.

“It's getting pretty late, don't you think, hun?”

He glanced at the man who had taken his space, who was eyeing him up and down like he was deciding if it was worth trying anything. Reluctantly, he let his face settle into something of a protective glare. “Yeah. Let's go.” Without giving Himchan much warning, he secured his grip on his hand and yanked him up off the stool.

“We were just in the middle of a conversation, man,” the stranger said, looking like he might stand up, “I just bought the guy a drink.”

“Good for you, now you have an extra drink to yourself.” With another yank on Himchan's hands, their fingers aggressively locked together like the teeth of a zip, he headed out of the bar with a stony expression on his face.

“Bang,” Himchan tried as they stepped outside. The clouds had thickened and hidden the moon now, leaving them in near total darkness.

Yongguk didn't reply, on ripped his hand free and shoved it in his pocket, starting to walk home.

“Bang, come on! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to drag you into it again but- He wouldn't leave me alone!” He jogged a little to catch up, stomach tense with guilt.

“You said you wouldn't do this act again. It would be fine if it had just been a few times but it's nearly every time I spend any length of time with you. Can't you speak out for yourself?”

“No one listens to me! Look, I'm really sorry. It just happens.”

“Sure.”

They walked the rest of the way in silence.

 

They reached their turn off, and Himchan stopped. Yongguk didn't give him a slightest glance as he went to head down his path home.

“Bang, please can we just talk about this a moment?”

“What's to talk about? You're not going to do it again.” He stopped nonetheless and sighed.

“Look, please let me make this up to you.”

“What, with more drinks at another bar where you'll need me to rescue you again? My own students think I'm having some secret relationship, my family have been asking about the photos and it's been a nightmare to keep my brother off my back. Now people I barely now from being sort-of a regular think I've got a boyfriend. This needs to stop.” He half regretted what he'd said when he finally turned around and seen the hurt expression on Himchan's face, each worry-line accentuated by the gentle yellowish glow of the street light, but it needed to be out in the open.

“Yeah. I know. I'm really sorry. I swear I'll get it all sorted out – I'll clear it up with my mother and see about getting pictures taken down or something. I'm really sorry.”

The absolute sincerity in Himchan's voice nearly broke his heart. “Okay, I shouldn't have got angry. That wasn't okay. It's just been eating at me.”

“No, no, you have every reason to be angry at me. I'll have the photos taken down and be out of your hair. You won't hear from me again, don't worry.” His shoulders had slumped, making his usually proud stature made smaller than ever. The street lamp dimmed for a moment and flickered.

“No,” Yongguk groaned, burying his face in his hands. “Listen, I like you. You're funny and good to talk to, you just... Need to stop using me, okay? That's all I'm asking. I don't want to drop contact or anything.” He dropped his gaze down to his feet as he spoke, but glanced up quickly.

Himchan looked like he'd been handed an oasis in the desert. “Okay. Okay, great. I would still like to make it up to you, though. I've been a lot of trouble-”

“No bars. No drinks.”

“No! Definitely. Um, how about lunch?”

Yongguk seemed to consider it a little. “Between friends?”

“Yeah, just friends.”

“Where?”

“I'm not sure yet. If you give me your number I can message plans to you and we can work something out?”

“Sure,” Yongguk grinned, glad to see Himchan looking relaxed again, “that works fine.”


 

Sooundtrack: Hinder - Lips of an Angel