Day 1 : Meow?!

Words That Are Hard To Say

Song Muse Of The Day: Astro - Puss In Boots

 

The night went on under the watchful eyes of the winter moon. Beep! Beep! Beep! The sound of the passcode being entered. The door swung open, revealing Sungyeol who stumbled in with a completely drunk Myungsoo on his back. Incomprehensible muttering of a drunk escapes his lips while clinging onto his friend like a koala. A tipsy Dongwoo trudged in behind them, crashing onto the sofa since his dorm was a few floors up and he was too drunk and tired to walk any further. He left sober Sungyeol to tuck Myungsoo in as usual. Silence. The night passes on as if the group's discord had never happened and morning came with alarm ringing from a lone room. 

A hand streched out from under the warm winter blanket and accurately landed on the buzzer, bringing back the blissful silence. An action engrained from the many early mornings schedules. The temptation to roll back for a five minutes snooze was strong but for a seven years disciplined body, bed haired Sungyeol woke up almost immediately. His eyes heavy with sleep as the clock showed 5AM. They have a schedule at 9.45AM but they have to be at the salon for hairstyling and makeup by 7AM. While slapping himself awake, he headed towards the kitchen. 

Breakfast? 

From the fridge he took out a variety of ingredients; Doenjang (Korean miso) paste, unsalted beef broth, soy bean sprouts, chilli peppers and a variety of mushrooms. They were fresh and a complete contrast to the fridge Sunggyu's dorm had to present a few years back for Please Take Care Of My Refrigerator. In all honesty, their fridge back then wasn't much of a difference from the other dorm. The reason it was more up to date and fresh was because of...

"I need to wake Myungsoo up.."

Sungyeol was preparing Seongjutang (hangover soup) for his drunk friend, Myungsoo. It was a soup that the members confidently knew how to make although it was never made known to the public. If they hadn't the time or just too lazy to cook up a bowl, there was always the hangover medicine. A wonderful invention. Seeing that it was going to be another long day, he figured a soup would be suitable. As he waited for the soup to boil, he walked towards Myungsoo's room. Generally, it wasn't hard to wake him up but being drunk the night before, it will take a little more effort. You know.. hangovers and ridiculously early mornings aren't the best combinations.

“Myungsoo ya.” 

He flicked the switch on but the bed was surprisingly empty. It had signs of being slept in but the owner was nowhere to be seen. Confused. "Had he woken up?" Sungyeol searched the toilet but it was cool and dry without a single drop of water. He doesn't have to check Woohyun's room just to be sure that Myungsoo had not wandered off to an unwanted territory. Besides, Woohyun would have been up with a foul mood if Myungsoo had trespassed. Sungyeol checked his own room just to be sure and even went to the extent of searching the shoe rack but all their shoes are still as they were the night before. "Where did he go?" He tried waking Dongwoo up but this hyung with a track record for being difficult to wake up even on a normal day did not budge as expected. The only response he got out of him was a moan and something about Pikachu. He decided to just let him sleep on, concluding that he'll probably end up tired from waking him up. Sungyeol decided to check up on sick Sungjong instead. It was the only room left. 

He turned the doorknob to Sungjong's room slowly and carefully. The light from the corridor stream in and to his surprise, he found Myungsoo curled up in bed with Sungjong who is still feeling the medicinal effect. 

"Myungsoo ya."

He habitually whispered, shaking him gently. "Kim Myung Soo." Whispering a little louder. The messy haired and bloated face from drowning himself in despair twenty five year old gradually stir awake. Eyes fluttered open. He rolled on his back, stretching all four limbs like a cat until he actually meowed. 

Sungyeol brushed it off as him attempting to be unnecessarily cute early in the morning but he continues to meow. "Still drunk?" He asked as he brushed Myungsoo's fringe away from his eyes and a meow was the response. Judging by the hours, the boy ought to be sober enough but the meowing continues. Sounding more and more like a hungry cat as the smell of the hangover soup floated in. Sungyeol playfully smacked him to stop but it resulted in what appears to be an attempted paw slap. "Get up. We got a schedule at 9." The noise had Sungjong eventually awake. "Oh Sungjongie." Noticing the furrows of his brows. "You better?" Sungjong nodded with his eyes close. 

“Ya Myungsoo. Enough already. Go freshen up.” Sungyeol walked out of the room, leaving the two youngest member. Myungsoo rolled over and curled against Sungjong. Snuggling against his shoulder. "Hyung... you need to go before Sungyeol hyung drags you to the bathroom." He mumbled sleepily before rolling over for a five minutes snooze that is bound to be an hour snooze. The oddity of Myungsoo suddenly sleeping next to him had yet to strike him as odd with his head still fuzzy from the cold medicine. 

Back in the kitchen, Sungyeol was busy laddling the soup. As he turned to place the bowl on the table, he nearly dropped it. Curse words almost escape his lips so early in the morning. Sitting on the floor behind him was Myungsoo. He was proped up like a cat, sniffing at the bowl in Sungyeol hands. His eyes shone with a hungry interest.

"Ya.. you ne-"

He stopped. 

Something wasn't quite right. He knew Myungsoo's behaviour when he gets drunk and how long it would takes for him to sober up or at least with the bare minimum rationality and normality of a human. He had been there to take care of him whenever he was drunk. No one knew the drunk him best but Sungyeol. The sight before him was something certainly new and there was a growing curiousity. He don't know why he had such a thought but he just did and he prayed with all his might that he was just as equally drunk to be thinking up something ridiculous.

"Wait here."

He put down the bowl and hurried to his room. Digging his luggage for one item and ripped the plastic wrapper apart.

"Myungsoo..."

In his hand was a cat toy, a cluster of brightly colored feathers suspended from a pole by an invisible string. When moved, it  mimics the motion of a bird in flight. He had initially bought it for his pet cat, Jureumi who is now residing with his younger brother, Daeyeol, for some unknown reason. "Here~" Waving the toy enticingly. Myungsoo's eyes were fixated on the feathers, hands twitching for the right moment to catch it. When he concluded that the time was now, he jumped. Both hands snatching the feathers in one sweep. The sudden pounce had Sungyeol dropping the toy in a fright and falling on his bottom. He backed hurriedly against the wall, wanting the wall to just swallow him whole. To his horror, Myungsoo played with it well. Much too well. What was happening?! He was behaving like a.. cat?

After calming down his heart and collecting his mind, Sungyeol fearfully inched his way around happily occupied Myungsoo and ran towards Dongwoo. His eyes darted between Myungsoo and Dongwoo as he shook him awake. Fearing that Myungsoo would soon grew bored of his toy and walk up to him. He has no idea what is happening but one thing is for sure, he needed s up and awake.

In no time, Dongwoo, Sungjong and even Woohyun were up and staring at Myungsoo from the furthest corner of the room. They silently watch him entertained himself. "What is going on with Myungsoo?" Their minds ring the same question as their fully awake eyes remained fixed on him. 

Beep! Beep! Beep!

The passcode entered. In came an annoyed looking Sunggyu. Waiting by the doorway was fully dressed Hoya and their worried looking manager. It was already time but the quartet were still in last night's clothes and greasy hair, hurdled in a corner. 

"YA! Do you know what time is it!"

They just stare at him with the same lost looking eyes. Reflecting a unified confusion. 

"Hyu-hyung...tha-that.." Dongwoo stammered as he attempt to explain their predicament. 

He need not finish his words when he noticed what had the members hurdled up in a corner. However he was still in a sensitive mood to be noticing the oddity of the situation.

"Ya Myungsoo! I thought you did have some sense." Myungsoo just stare at him blankly with the feathers in his mouth. "What are you doing! Still drunk?" Sunggyu was on a row. He even proceeded to scolding innocent Sungyeol. "Don't you know how to take care of him? This isn't your first time handling him! You know we have a schedule today!"

By then the quartet were all holding their breathe, eyes glued to below Sunggyu's waist level. 

"Meow!"

From Myungsoo's lips was an angry meow, warning him to not continue taking it out on Sungyeol. His eyes threatening and fierce. The kind of eyes that chic persona L would make on stage and not the fluffy and kind Myungsoo.  

"What are you doing?" The tone wasn't angry but somewhat confused.

"Hyu-hyung... that is not Myungsoo.." Sungyeol explained. "That is..."

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"A cat?!"

Sunggyu had finally calmed down. The boys, including Hoya and the manager had gathered in Sungjong's room, discussing. They had thrown themselves a series of experiment and they have no other choice but to reluctantly conclude that the person who is Infinite's visual is a cat in a human body. They couldn't figure out the source of this sudden transformation but they knew they needed to be on time for their schedule. TV appearance isn't something they could just cancel on a whim but the state Myungsoo was in made it near impossible. In the end, they decided to call upon their CEO while the others complete the schedule. For once they agreed on a matter without a fight. You could say that the CEO was pleasantly shocked but the state of Myungsoo had him in an undesirable heartattack. The boys had called on to him, trusting no one else to cat sit Myungsoo. They left the dorm with a new worry line. As if the possiblity of disbanding wasn't enough...

What are they going to do now?