Day 0 : Yesterday

Words That Are Hard To Say

 

Song Muse of the Day: The Carpenters - Yesterday Once More

 

The side walk of Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu were overflowing with oestrogens. A rather common sight and it could only mean one thing. Someone with a considerable amount of fans is in the building. Lining the permissible space were DSLR cameras, loaded with fully charged batteries. Their lenses rivals that of a paparazzi or perhaps much better. Those without cameras weren't to lose out. While being smothered in warm clothing, their gloved hands held onto passionately designed banners with LED lights, illuminating the street light lit space. Some were also seen to be carrying a bag or letters in hope of getting them into their respected owner's hands. There were some who just brought themselves in all its glory of wind blown hair and crumpled uniforms. Possibly rushing over from cramschool or work. Empty handed or fully loaded, each and every single one of them brought their hearts. All  beating for one unified reason. 

The North wind blew mercilessly through the streets of Seoul, reddening nose and ears of loyal fans who waited for their favourite group to finish their last schedule of the day. As soon as the familiar face of a man in his late thirties appeared from the entrance, the crowd hustled closer. Excited whispers spread like wild fire, "It's the manager." All on the alert. Cameras ready and locked on the entrance. 

Infinite! Infinite! Infinite!

The cheers of the nearly seven year old fandom, Inspirit, were gradually gaining momentum and increasing in volume. They were as loud as ever, undetered by the cold winter's night. The chant turned into delirious screams when the first of the seven young man, clothed in warm yet fashionable winter clothes stepped out of the building. For seven years they stayed by their side and through those tumultuous seven years, they continue to support them by whatever means possible. The cold winter was nothing as the sight of seven dashing young man warmth their hearts and soul.

“Oppa!” 

The cheers elevated into a barely distinguishable scream for the first member in sight. The sound of cameras clicking , and flashing accompanied the screams. "Sunggyu oppa!" Leading the way was none other than the eldest member and leader. "Jalsaengekta! Meosisseoyo!" Compliments were thrown generously from every direction. A gray woollen scarf wrapped tightly around his neck, covering his mouth and half his ears. He politely nodded at his fans. His hands deep in his coat pocket, possibly clenching a hot pack. Before climbing into the seat next to the driver's, he gave them a wave. 

The door was barely shut when another member, the youngest of the seven, made his appearance. "Sungjong oppa!" A dashing young man with a white mask. His hair a fresh shade of wine red. He graciously greet his fans although appearing a little tired, having caught a cold the day before. "Sungjong oppa! Get well soon!" The fans shouted in unison, to which he gave a nod and made an ok with his fingers to notify them that he will. 

Behind the maknae is the ever manly, "Hoya oppa!" He was spotting stylish glasses and a red sweater beneath his black parka. As always, he smiled at his fans. High five-ing one of the lucky fans on the way to the van. 

Next came an almost completely black clothed person. It wasn't hard to guess who it was even if you've been in the fandom for only three months. "Myungsoo! Kyaa! Myungsoo oppa!" The clear visual of the team who is also known as L. Even with a black knitted beanie and a large woollen scarf covering most of his face, you can clearly see that he still looks as he does for the last seven years. HIs eyes spotting a distinct double eyelid, suggestive that he has been lacking in the sleep department. He gave them a wave before climbing into the van.

The cheers grew louder as the person behind him threw hearts to his fans. As per custom or perhaps years of training, the fans threw back in response. A requited love between idol and fan. "Woohyun oppa! Saranghaeyo!" 

Coming down side by side before forming a line due to the sudden narrow pathway was the lanky, "Sungyeol oppa!". He was wearing an olive green winter coat which higlighted his height and long legs. His hair was tied into a small pony tail, hair left long for his latest drama stunt in which he was finally made lead. He quickly ascended the van, cold from the sudden wind. In complete contrast is the last member, the ever cheerful and loveable guy. "Dongwoo oppa!". He always seem to be a kid full of energy as he greet his fans with a random dance. He's just a loveable ball of sunshine.  

The members who were seated near the door gave one last wave before the door slid close and departed from the scene. The crowds lingered around a little longer, exchanging their excitement before gradually dispersing. The street was once again lifeless except for the occasional cars passing by and night shifts employees filling in with unenthusiasm. 

On the road heading back to the dorm, the air in the van was an extreme contrast. The atmosphere was much more befitting for a funeral. It was excrutiatingly silent except for the radio playing the midnight serenade. Each of the members had withdrawn into their own little world. Some were asleep or trying to sleep and some were playing with their phones while some just gaze blankly at the night sky. Tiredness wasn't the main reason. There had been talks of contract renewal and despite the united front they put forth, there was a visible crack within. Long time fans had noticed a strain in relationships between certain members and a deliberate avoidance. Something that had occured many times in the past due to some misuderstanding or petty reasons but this time, it felt serious. 

...Looking back on how it was years gone by and the good times that I had...

There had been an internal team quarrel. It was the norm and a well known fact that the boys do quarrel from time to time and sometimes over petty things such as hiding shoes and stealing underwears only to retaliate with stealing socks (can you guess who was it?). They fight, they made up and laugh about it as they reiterate it on talk shows. However, it's different this time. The reasons weren't petty but rather serious. Each quarrel grew in intensity. 

...Makes today seem rather sad so much has changed...

As much as CEO Jungyeop wishes to intervene, he concluded that he should minimise his meddling. He had tried talking to the boys, persuading them, finding a common ground and perhaps a little bribing. However, he came to a realization that he may get the team to renew their contract but the future of their infamous team work will come crumbling down from the flicker relationship and when it happens, a disbandment will be an inevitable possibilty. He needed the boys to come together themselves. He can only do just so much. Besides, the company is already busy with Lovelyz's first Asia Tour. 

Main vocalist, Woohyun was pretty much leaning towards not renewing his contract. With the workload stress from their recent album release, it just made matters worse. Sunggyu and Woohyun were not on talking terms and they had placed a silent agreement to only interact in public but at a minimal for the sake of the team. It was painfully awkward as they pretended to laugh and play together. It was a good thing that they were not staying under the same roof. As for Hoya, he has been secluding himself from the rest ever since Autumn dropped by. The others weren't certain whether their rapper and main dancer, Hoya would continue with the contract. He seemed to be conflicted and rather depressed since last Autumn. There was a sudden turnabout in his behaviour. His Infinite H partner, Dongwoo, has gradually started to feel down as Hoya refuses to talk to him any more than necessary. Dongwoo couldn't help but feel extremely worried and wondered if he had accidentally wronged him unknowingly.   

...All my best memories come back clearly to me...

While some had their eyes closed and ears plugged, Sungjong had his wide open as he gaze the back of one head to the next from his seat in the back. He reminize the past where despite the hectic schedule, they would have happily chatted about the activity they had just finished. Perhaps commenting on what they lacked or how they should be the next time. In between, the boys would teased Sunggyu with Woohyun and Sungyeol chipping in before they collapsed from tiredness all the way home. 

...Some can even make me cry, just like before...

Last night there had been another fight between the two main vocalist of which the others barely manage to calm them down. The air was getting heavier by the day and it wouldn't be surprising if one of the members collapsed, suffocated from it. 

The moment they reached their dorm, Sungyeol, Dongwoo and Myungsoo were off to drown their unwanted stress with soju. Sick Sungjong returned for more rest. Sunggyu and Woohyun headed straight to bed to sleep on their discontentment and stress while Hoya went for a late night visit to his friends. 

What will happen to them...