Broke Down

Mechanical Love

Despite her efforts Amber could not persuade the sisters from taking her back to shore and back home. She was very tired which was weird for an AI. There were many popup notifications for errors in the system of her body.  There was fluid in every circuit of her body yet she was somehow still functioning. She ignored them of course, as she wasn’t going to let the sisters find out she was a robot.

When they returned to the mansion Krystal went into the mansion to find Jonghyun while Jessica pulled Amber out and sat her on the ground, the metal inside her groan a bit. She was having a hard time keeping her machine body functioning. A note popped up in front of her saying she should see the scientist. “I have a question for you.” The older sister said bending down to look at Amber. “When I dove down to get you I saw a light blinking at me,” Amber knew exactly what she was talking about. It was a warning light stating that there was a malfunction in the system. “Do you care to explain before Krystal gets back out here?”

Amber sighed; she wasn’t doing very well with keeping herself looking human. “I. I am not human. I am a. a robot. Your father made a deal with the scientist that I came from to see how well I could blend in with society. Ple please don’t tell Krystal. If she finds out I’ll be destroyed.” She pleaded to Jessica who just let out a small chuckle.

“Relax. I promise I wont say anything to her. You’re actually not doing to badly.”

“Ththththanks.” Amber tried to say but realized that her speech chip was cracked perhaps that was what the sound was when she hit the water. Suddenly something burst inside her flooding the already flooded machine. She coughed up more liquid but it was different.

“Holy . Amber what’s going on?” Jessica asked holding the AI by her shoulders as black liquid was spit out of .

“I-i-i- don’t-“ coughing again she finally saw Krystal and Jonghyun reemerge from the mansion.

“Holy , Amber are you don’t look good.” He said grabbing onto her shoulders to hold her up. “You need to go see a doctor.” Amber shook her head.

“tttakkee mewhehtr tooooo thee master.” She spewed more black liquid into her hand trying to keep it from hitting the ground. Jonghyun took immediate action and ran her up to the office with Jessica and Krystal in persuit.

“Master! Amber needs help and she said you knew what to do.” He looked up wide-eyed as black vile dripped down Amber’s chin onto his expensive carpet.

“Oh dear what happened?”

“Ittt wassre myuy faulttygtggt.” Amber said coughing again.

“Quick take it quickly to this address I will get someone to cover for both of you tonight. Stay with it till she gets better.” He requested scribbling down an address and handing it to jonghyun. He took it and dragged Amber to the car she was in earlier. Throwing her into the passenger seat he started the car and floored it out of the driveway leaving the sisters in the dust.

After half an hour of driving and black liquid pouring from and nostrils they reached the familiar setting of the house where the scientist lives. Jonghyun lifted Amber out of the passenger side and up the steps knocking frantically on the door of the house. A couple seconds later the scientist opened the door surprised to see them both there.

“Oh my god AMBER what happened?! Come in quick.” He helped Johghyun carry her to a table she was familiar with as it was the one she first came into being on. Turning to Jognhyun, “I’m sorry but you are going to have to leave as this is strictly confidential.”

“Absolutely not Master told me to stay with her and I plan to not leave her side.” He replied standing his ground despite the size difference. The scientist looked back at his creation before sighing.

“Sorry AMBER but he will have to know.”

“Know what?” Jonghyun asked as the scientist took off Amber’s shirt and pulled out a scalpel to cut into the silicone skin. “What are you doing? Hey! Don’t!” He shouted as the scientist cut into the skin revealing the metal underneath. “Holy-“

“You cannot breathe a word of this to anyone do you understand me? One word and it will be gone and destroyed.” Amber cringed at the use of “it” in reference to herself. “I’m going to have to shut you off for a while AMBER so bear with me.” He said as he reached into the metal compartment in her chest inputting a couple codes before blackness fell over her.

“Alright you.” The scientist said to Jonghyun, “you’re going to have to help me repair it. Grab a wrench.”

While Jonghyun was helping repair Amber Krystal sat by the window in her room looking out it at the setting sun. She shouldn’t have left Amber on the shore then she wouldn’t have been targeted. “It’s not your fault you know. No one knew she couldn’t swim.” Jessica’s voice said from behind Krystal startling her.

“You scared me. And I was not thinking about that.” The younger girl quickly said making it terribly obvious that was what she was thinking about.

“What do you think about her? I think she’s pretty chill.” The elder said sitting down across from Krystal.

“I don’t know she’s alright I guess.”

“She’s alright? When I talked to her this morning she was very interesting. You should get to know her better.” Jessica said looking out the window again. “She kind of reminds me of mom…” Krystal didn’t reply as warm memories washed into her head. Their mother had died a couple years back from a car accident. She was their father’s light. Back then they felt more like a family. Now it normally felt like it was just she and her sister. “Just. Keep an open mind with her. She’s a good person.”