Change is not Always Needed

Mechanical Love

What was she going to do? She couldn’t let Krystal know what was happening or she would interfere and potentially ruin the whole agreement. Jonghyun was able to help Krystal sneak down to Amber’s room again. What the AI had told the girl was that she was going to be able to stay here with her but she had to go help the scientist build a second AMBER before so. She was to leave in the morning and Krystal needed to see her again before she left.

“How long do you think you will be gone?” she asked arms draped around Amber’s neck as they lay on her bed.

“Maybe a month. Possibly two.” She lied. Amber knew it would be less than a month for her to be reprogramed but she didn’t want Krystal to know that.

“That’s too long for you to be away. I’ll miss you.” She stated putting her head on Amber’s shoulder.

How am I going to do it? Amber thought to herself. How can I forget someone like Krystal? “Promise me something.”

“Hmmm?” Krystal hummed.

“Promise me whatever happens in the next couple of months you’ll remember me.” Amber stated looking over at Krystal’s face.

“Don’t make it sound like you’re leaving me forever. I promise.” She replied kissing Amber on the lips one last time before they both went into a slumber like state.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amber was back at what the scientist considered home. “Sir. Maybe this isn’t such a good idea.” She said just as Mr. Jung walked in without amber realizing it

“What are you saying?” the scientist asked preparing tools.

“What I’m trying to say is that I don’t want to lose my memories, I have some good ones that I feed would change me as a person if I lost them.” She replied as Mr. Jung interjected.

“But you’re not a person you’re a robot. You shouldn’t have feelings or free thoughts let alone experience anything close to what us humans experience.” Amber turned to see the man before her.

“with all do respect sir I agree with Amber. The entire point of it not being just another robot was the fact that it could learn from experience. It feels wrong to just take away its memories and restrict everything it knows.” The scientist spoke up.

“Sir I’m just thinking that what I’ve learned over the past couple months could be used for future AI’s and I could serve a purpose-“

“That is not your purpose. Your purpose is to serve me to serve my family do you not remember? All these ‘experiences’ you talk about have turned your attention away from what is supposed to be the most important job for you. This is why this is the best option.” Mr. Jung practically yelled at her with a hint of anger in his tone. “Now scientist. I want this done now.” Scientist hesitantly nodded and put Amber onto the table where he started to take off her skin and removed her vocal chip and other parts to reach her memory core. Though she fought she was unable to move as he had shut down her movement attachment.

. She cried out in fear yet no one heard her. She cried out yet she didn’t feel pain. She didn’t want to change. She was finally happy with herself.

Her wires were all around her now. Her chips were taken out and were in the process of being scanned for viruses and unnecessary information. They took her memory chip but instead of wiping it Mr. Jung took it so he could lock it up in his office. Why he didn’t destroy it we don’t know but with a quick reprogramming she was up and running again but with a sadness to her.

“State your purpose.” Krystal’s father asked almost in a growl.

“I live to serve the Jung family…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Krystal rushed down the stairs when she heard the news that Amber was back. She couldn’t wait to see her again, to hold her close and kiss her. At the bottom of the stairs stood Amber elegant as always yet stiff. “Amber!” Krystal exclaimed rushing farther down the steps to her but was stopped by Jessica’s arm being put in her way. “Jessica what the hell?”

She and Jonghyun stood at the bottom of the steps looking at Amber “Krystal. I don’t think that’s our Amber.”

“That’s impossible she is standing right in front of us?” Krystal said in a huff but the look on her sister’s face made her look twice at Amber. She wasn’t looking at anyone in particular, just straight ahead. Her eyes didn’t sparkle in awe like they used to and her expression had not changed a bit since she had arrive. It was like she had lost all humanity.

“Amber?” Jonghyun said and the robot turned its head to look at him but not into his eyes more just toward him.

“Sir.” She replied with a voice similar to before she left but not exactly the same, like she had lost all emotion. She looked forward again.  The other three looked at each other with concern.

“Amber.” Krystal said softly taking a step forward. The AI in front of her, eyes light up for a split second registering her voice before replying.

“Madam what is you command.” She stated standing a little more straight.

“Amber I don’t understand. Do. Do you know who I am?” Krystal asked taking a couple more steps forward.

“Affirmative. You are Princess Krystal Jung. Daughter of President Jung.” Amber replied again.

“Amber, what’s wrong? Why are you acting like this?” she tried again standing right in front of the other. Yet the AI didn’t move it stood there looking forward not even looking into Krystal’s eyes just forward.

“Please repeat the question. Unable to find answer.”

 

“Are you alright?” Jessica stepped in hoping to help.

 

“Unable to answer. I cannot feel emotion.” Amber replied.

 

“Come with me. Amber, Jonghyun follow us.” Jessica said taking Krystal’s hand and dragging her up toward her room. The other two were following orders and followed them up. By that time Krystal was starting to get teary eyed at the thought of Amber not remembering her. Amber stopped right outside the door of Jessica’s room while the others had filed in. “Amber come on in.”

“It is against my programming to allow myself into your rooms while you occupy it.”

“Well I gave you a direct order to get your in this room with us are you going to disobey my order?” Jessica growled out. Amber had to stand there and process the request before taking a step forward shutting the door behind her. “Now Krystal there has to be an explanation behind this there is no way Amber would reboot herself and forget you. What if we just ask her? Amber. What happened to you in the month that you were gone?”

“I do not have any memories of what happened before this but what I do know is that I was rebooted and given several new chips. They restrict my movement, memories, speech, and adaptability.” Amber replied. “My purpose is to serve the Jung family and I will do so till I am no longer needed.”

“Jonghyun call the scientist find out what happened.” Jessica commanded and Jonghyun went to find the number. About half an hour later he returned with news.

“The scientist said that he had to remove and restrict everything in Amber to please his highness to save her. She would have been scrapped after she suggested she should keep her memories and continue to interact through them.”

“Why would he do that?” Krystal asked.

“His highness did what he must to protect and preserve the humanity of the human race. If a being like myself started acting more like a human would it could corrupt the experiences that humans have with other humans. That is why my chips erase and reset every 24 hours.” Amber said.

“that’s so stupid! Why would he do that? He cant just go and change someone entirely.” Krystal exploded.

“correction. He cannot change someone. But he can change something. I am not a someone I am a thing, a non-living being.” Amber stated again. The fact that she had to say those things to Krystal broke the others hearts. She started crying again before leaving the room to go to her own.

“Im going to go talk to him.” Jessica growled grabbing Amber by the arm and dragging it with her to her father’s office. He was sitting in there talking on the computer.

“Honey I’m in a conference call-“ Jessica slammed the laptop shut.

“Explain.” She growled pointing at Amber who stood behind her standing up straight with her arms behind her back.

“Well believe it or not Amber is a robo-“
             “I know that. Why did you take away her memory chip and limit her interactions?” she yelled before he could answer Amber stated again.

“His highness did what he must to protect and preserve the humanity of the

human race. If a being like myself started acting more like a human would, it could corrupt the experiences that humans have with other humans.” He nodded and left it at that.

“No that’s a stupid reason. What was the actual reason you did this? You wouldn’t just change your mind over something as stupid as her not being there during the fire.”

            “Since you are an adult I will tell you the truth. The investors I’ve had lined up for this project were worried from the beginning about the AI thinking it was human and starting to form human emotions and relationships. When I saw it interacting with Krystal a lot more openly than before I knew their fear were correct. Robots and humans cannot have any form of relationships other than servitude.” He stated to his eldest.

            “that’s the worst excuse ever! What happened to you? If mom were still alive you wouldn’t have made this decision.” Her father was taken a back for a second before she continued. “Why does it matter that Krystal is into a robot. Amber is one of the best things that could have happened to her since mom died. She has been happy, outgoing and then you took her only source of happiness away again. She is in her room crying her eyes out because you didn’t think about your daughters happiness over the investors.” With a quick motion she left the room slamming the door behind her leaving Amber and Mr. Jung together. He sat there a moment thinking about what his daughter had said.

            “Ugh I cannot change you now. If I do the investors will get mad… is she right? Did you make Krystal happier?” he asked looking over to the AI.

            “I have no memories of the past sir. But I can confirm she was very upset when I returned to service.” Amber stated. Mr. Jung sighed before dismissing Amber out of the room and allowing it to have the rest of the day off. Amber not knowing what to do with its free time returned to its room and proceeded to sit there till its battery was pretty much drained before plugging itself in to charge