Whatever it Takes

Mechanical Love

There was a faint tapping on her door and she got up to open it. On the other side of the door was Krystal. She had snuck down from her room to see Amber. “Lets go for a walk.” She suggested taking Amber’s hand. Amber wasn’t going to say no and was gladly led away despite the low battery notification appearing. She needed to get things off her mind anyway. Hand in hand they walked down a small beaten path through the woods their path lit by the moonlight. “So what do you think is going to happen?”

“Hopefully I will be able to stay and continue working here for you, but with what your father was saying to me I don’t think it’s going to end that way.” Amber replied as they found a nice place to sit under a tree.

“I don’t want they to destroy you. If they try to take you away I think we should make a run for it, you know hide out somewhere till they calm down.” Amber shook her head.

“That wont work I have a GPS installed but only the scientist knows about it. He will tell your father if he has too.”

“Well what if we are overtly honest.” She suggested.

“What?”

“No seriously. Tell him that you want to stay and work here and are willing to do what is necessary. That could work.” Krystal spewed on about it while Amber listened. Would she be able to do it? How would she convince the Master about it?

Popups came to light and suddenly the dimming of Ambers vision. “Uh Krystal? My Batteri-“ Her battery had been drained entirely. Her system would shut down in a couple minutes, had she not charged it beforehand they wouldn’t be in this situation.

“Amber? What happened? Amber? Amber!” Krystal shook the AI’s body but it was stiff there was no moving it. There was no response from the robot either. Krystal sighed and called Jonghyun to come help her take Amber back in.

 

After half an hour of walking Jonghyun and Krystal were able to put Amber into her bed and plugged her in for the night. Krystal decided it would be best to stay with Amber for the night and snuggled up next to her while Jonghyun left and would make sure in the morning Krystal was out before her father noticed.

She curled up next to the AI as its systems started to reboot and she listened to all the little whistles and vibrations coming from the other till she fell asleep.

Jonghyun woke Krystal up in the morning with enough time for her to get back to her room before Amber had to be up. She dressed accordingly and Jonghyun escorted her to the Master’s office where the scientist was too.

“Now that we are all here together. I am upset about how I handled yesterday and im going to apologize now. I knew you and Jonghyun were over at your fathers house and yet I still blamed you both for the house fire. So to make up for it I’ve decided a new plan of action. I believe that my daughters, whom I should have seen from the start, have influenced all your experiences and actions. SO I’ve come to the decision that I will in fact fund your invention.” Krystal’s father said and a sigh of relief as he continued. “Now for your current AI. I think it would be best if she were rebooted and all her memories were wiped then she can continue to stay here.”

“What?!” both Amber and the scientist said in unison.

“Sir that would be counter productive. It learns from experience. It would have to relearn everything.” The scientist tried but the man shook his head.

“That’s the point it has learned things that wont benefit it in the future.”

“I am sorry sir but I don’t believe that would be a good idea. I have learned many things from Princess Krystal that could constitute a good experience that would help me in the future.” Amber said.

“Like what? Did you learn to love?” he said mockingly. She stood their silently taken aback for a couple seconds; Krystal did say do what was necessary to stay here; before he spoke again, “If you want this project to be funded Amber will be rebooted. Do I make myself clear?” the other two nodded before bowing to leave.