the beginning

Mechanical Love

It walked with a certain stature for having only been made a month ago. Its shoulders were back and its legs stood close together as if at attention. When it walked there was a certain amount of elegance and grace for a machine. The scientists had put a silicone skin over it to give it a more human look. It had short black hair that gave it a more manly appearance and a suit that it would wear as a requirement.

The scientist was also in a suit. He looked nervous as he was pacing and continually looking at his watch. It stood still not understanding why its creator was moving around so much. After an hour of waiting another man came in and escorted both the scientist and the robot to a bigger room with a long table and many men sitting in chairs around it. At the other end of the table was a tall man with a clean-shaven face.

“Good Afternoon your Grace,” The scientist said bowing and gesturing for it the metal being to follow. It stood very still and slowly bowed to the figure. “Thank you for your time and patience to give us an audience.”

The man nodded and both lifted up their bodies and the scientist started again, “Yes sir. I am here to introduce to you the state of the art A.M.B.E.R. Automated Metal Being with Efficient Reasoning the first prototype of Artificial Intelligence in the world.”

“So a robot?” a voice asked from somewhere around the table.

“Not just a robot, a being that learns from experience and can do many tasks that it learns. In a month it has learned to walk, talk, run, writes, read, everything that we could do.” The scientist exclaimed as the being nodded.

“Demonstrate this for me.” The man at the end of the table requested looking extremely interested. The scientist nodded and looked over at the being before nodding and stepping back. The AI walked forward to the end of the table where no one sat and stood in front of it.

“Good evening. I am A.M.B.E.R if you have any questions I am willing to give you an answer to the best of my knowledge,” The being said softly yet firmly.

“What do you do?” someone asked.

“I can do many things, I am here to serve.” It replied as a man walked in and strode to the man at the end of the table whispering something into his ear. The man nodded and the servant left.

“The skin looks very believable but what about the speech and movement? It still seems very stiff.” The man asked.

“It is still learning but can go out into the world without anyone noticing.” The scientist replied standing up straight.

“If it really can I suggest a test. Let it serve Princess Krystal for 6 months if she doesn’t notice after that time I will fund the make of many more. If she notices I want you to go back to the drawing board and review what could be fixed and this AI will be scrapped.” The man stated before standing up. The other men in the room followed his example.

“Yes sir. I can bring it over tomorrow prepared for anything.” The scientist said as the group of men left the room leaving just him and the AI there.