Sleepless Nights

Today, Tomorrow, Always

(A/N): Hello everyone ^^ How are you guys this fine evening (or morning/night) ~ I hope you guys are well and healthy!! Here's another update, I hope you like it and as alway: subscribe, comment, upvote. I look forward to reading what you think of my updates~ So as you can see above this author's note, I will be creating mood boards for inspiration, I hope you don't mind. I highly recommend listening to Mamamoo's - I miss you, while reading this, it was inspired by that song. Good bye for now~


 


Week 1 (2:34 am)

 

She's grown used to the piercing cold of the night. Blanket pulled up to her chest, breathing in the faint scent that she's so used to smelling; always enveloping in that sweet flowery smell -- flashes of dark brown and soft fluttering kisses flashed through her closed eyelids and she struggles to stop the way her heart suddenly feels heavier than before.


She shifts her body to the side, ignoring the picture frame that is face down on her bedside table -- she already knows from memory ever single line and curve of what was shown on that picture. Memories wouldn't taint it but it hurt.


She tries her best to not let the tears fall but is was pointless, pillow covered with never-ending tears once again, traces of lilac etched onto the pillow case and her tears fall even harder. She clutches the other pillow in her hands, breathing in the slowly fading scent of lilac -- the memories remaining intact.


She sighs, her heart feeling heavier -- dragging her down. Her gaze settles on the fluttering curtains, dancing with the wind and she smiles unconsciously before that smile breaks along with her heart. Memories forever etched into every single thing surrounding her room.


She closes her eyes, willing her tears to stop for a second so she could catch her breath -- feeling lightheaded. She struggled to breathe properly, every intake of air causing a coughing fit as her tears relentlessly continued flowing down her cheeks and staining the pillow -- she's lost count of how many times she's changed her pillow's cover.


Her eyes stung, her head hurt due to the lack of oxygen, her heart no longer intact -- tears continuously falling. Her hand reached over to clutch at her phone having vibrated, she couldn't help the little hope bubbling up in her chest, where one half of her heart wasn't as broken as the other.


Reading the notification, she lessens her grip on the cellphone, letting it fall on the bed. It wasn't what she had been expecting, her body ached to cry but she has gone dry. Instead she hugged the pillow tighter in her hands, it wasn't the same but she supposes it will have to suffice.


Her eyelids feel heavy but her mind was reelling back and forth between soft kisses, soft caresses, gentle voice speaking close to her ear, passionate nights, a voice so clear and lovely it sounded like music to her ears.


She fell asleep to the thought of brown hair and dark eyes, a soft smile and a gentle kiss on her lips.


---

 

Week 2 (3:47 am)

 

The stars were hidden behind the grey clouds, she could tell it was going to rain soon. The moon overhead was bright, one half hidden behind a fading cloud, slowly being carried away by the wind. The trees were still, the wind not being strong enough yet to dance with them.


Her eyes never strayed from the small white cat that was laying on the window sill opposite her balcony, tail swinging to and fro as it diligently cleans itself. She wonders if the cat has gotten any sleep or if it's been awake for hours like she has.


Her eyes stray away at the sound of barking, settling on a few street dogs chasing after another cat; this one obviously being homeless for she could clearly see it was so very skinny. It ran up the side of the fence, jumping onto the window sill where the white cat had occupied but was now nowhere in sight. The barking settling down as if they had given up their chase.


Seconds later she spotted the white cat sitting in front of the other one and it irked her because cats were suppose to be territorial. She gently smiled, a single thought: were they friends?


She felt her phone vibrating in her hands and she panicked as another wave of hope crashed against her, could it be?


Her hear sunk as she studies the blinking red as the phone notified her of the minimal battery life remaining and she fought back a snicker because her batteries had also drained such a long time ago but for some reason she was still here, expecting a call from someone she knew wouldn't be awake at this hour, thinking of her, missing her -- enough to call her.


She pulled her sweater against her body as a gust of wind rushed past her, ruffling her hair, dancing with the trees. She felt the first droplet land on her cheek before another settled on her hand and soon the rain was steadily falling -- you wouldn't be able to tell if it was her tears or the rain trailing down her quickening wet cheeks.

 


---

 


Week 3 (4:24 am)

 

She watched the shadows splayed across the opposite wall, her hands reaching up in front of the flickering lights to make a shape, casting the shadow of a bird across the pictures they had put up. Her hair fell over her eyes so she reached a hand to push it back, observing the way the shadow of the bird disappeared as her hand had done.


She pushed her hair behind her ear, observing the way half a heart had formed misshapen against the wall and her heart began to ache; eyes falling onto her phone, plugged into her charger, screen black with no signs of any interaction whatsoever.


Her hand fell to her side as she leaned her body back against the wall, head falling to the side, observing the environment around her through her open balcony doors. Eyes landing on the white cat perched on the window sill, its eyes intent on the other cat from a few days ago who was playing with a bug crawling up the side of the window.


She observed them quietly.


Thoughts full of brown coloured hair, dark eyes and a voice promising forever.

 


---

 

Week 4 (4:58 am)

 

Her body was leaning against the wall, hair unkempt and in poor condition, a hand tangled in it as her tears continued to fall. So many sleepless nights, so many memories of moments long gone but never forgotten -- never to be recuperated. Endless tears shed, heart in pieces, continuously finding new ways to break itself. Hopes not so high anymore with every passing day and no indication of missing or regret from the other person.


How could she continue like this?

 

How could you fix a broken heart?

 

How do you quench the hope rising in her chest?

 

How do you be happy?


Her eyelids opened at the sound of meowing and she turned to find the two cats hissing and clawing at each other before the skinny one, black fur contrasting against white fur, jumped down from the window sill and had run away. She looked a bit longer, dark eyes observing the remaining white cat that clawed against the closed window and she wondered if the cat really was sheltered.


She looked away not being able to observe the way the cat looked so helpless, window tightly closed, curtains drawn down, nothing to see.


She stood up walking over to where her phone was plugged into the charger, watching the percentage shift from 87% to 88% and she unplugged it. Her fingers tapping expertly on the touch screen, unlocking it -- eyes falling on the clock: 5:02 am.


Her finger hovered over her contacts icon and she paused -- it's been a month, four weeks of no contact -- should she even call at this rate?


She pushed her hair back, phone dropping onto her cover, back meeting the mattress, eyes staring at the ceiling. Thoughts occupied by a gentle smile, a soft kiss, silent words of 'I love you' still ringing in her ears.


Was she hopelss?


She sighed, her chest tightening with a feeling she's grown used to -- the cold slipping into her bones, no warmth. She struggled to breathe, her chest heaving up and down as a sob wrecked her body once more and like always -- her tears were uncontrollable, unrelenting.


She almost missed the soft sound of vibrations coming from her phone, almost missed the way her screen lit up, almost missed the feeling of her chest welling up with hope once more, but she was too scared of it being distinguished once again.

Almost.

She wiped a hand across her eyes, the other reaching for her phone, searching for it among the white tangled covers, feeling the cold metal piece, she answered, heart beating a mile per minute.


She heard a small shuffling before a slight cough sounded out. Her heart soared and her tears streamed down her cheeks, falling onto her pyjama pant clad thigh, the fabric soaking it up before it touched her skin.


"... are you there...?"


She nodded, in that moment not really being aware of the fact that the other person couldn't see her.


"Tiffany...?"


Her voice, although hoarse and broken, it still sounded like music to Tiffany's ears.


"I just...I don't even know if you'd be awake -- I just... ."


Tiffany couldn't speak, not knowing what to say.


"I just --"


"I miss you." Tiffany had said before the other girl could say anything, "Jessica, I miss you."


The other line went quiet for a while the only sound heard was that of the other girl's ragged breathing before she heard her voice reply, in the same gentle tone she was accustomed to.


"I miss you too."


Those words were enough to envelop her in a warmth she's missed so much.