ch.7

The Seven Boys

We walked for half an hour, until we reached the gates of KuIShin Dong. Guards stood at the sides of the gate. As we approached, they stepped in our way. “What is your purpose for leaving the city?” They asked sternly. “We’re going to go observe some animals in the forest for a school project.” Itold them. Both of the guards looked at each other uncertainly and then slowly shifted sideways and let us out. Ismiled at them and we walked passed. They eyed Jimin  , Namjoon and JungKook suspiciously, but they didn’t stop us. When they were out of sight, Ilet out a breath of relief. The real adventure starts here. We can’t go back now. There was a small path to walk on in the forest, but it began to slowly disappear as the path continued. Finally, we stopped when the path completely disappeared. Istared at the grass in front of us, and then the trees around us. Iunzipped a pocket of my backpack and pulled out my GPS. There were no paths on the map, but when Izoomed out, there was a main road 6 miles away. Ishowed the map to the boys and they nodded. We kept walking north. Ikept the GPS handy. We walked for who knows how long. Ichecked my wrist watch and it was 5:53 p.m. Isighed. We had 2 more miles to walk until we hit the main road, and from there we would walk until we reached Kung Ho, another city. Iwas climbing through a bush when Isaw the main road ahead. “Come on, it’s right there guys.” Ipointed to the main road. We emerged from the forest and looked left and right. Ichecked the GPS again. 9 miles. Iwas clipped my GPS to my pack so that it hung outside. Iheard someone’s stomach growl loudly. Iturned around and squinted at Jimin  . He shook his head. Itook a step towards Namjoon. He shrugged. Finally, Iturned to JungKook. He was smiling like an idiot. Iflicked his forehead with my finger. “Ow!” He rubbed his forehead and gave me a puppy face. “Get out a snack to eat. All of you.” Iordered them. They all smiled and took out some snacks to munch on. Ididn’t take out anything. Namjoon walked up to me and offered me a bite of his banana nut muffin but Irefused. He looked at me concernly. “I’m okay.” Ireassured him. Iturned to look at the horizon when Namjoon grabbed my cheeks and shoved a piece of the muffin in my mouth. Ilooked at him in shock and let out a little yelp. He looked at me, as if saying, “Eat it or else.” Iswallowed it. It was good. Ithanked Namjoon and we all continued to walk down the road again. Ichecked my GPS. 5 miles. Ichecked my watch. 6:34 p.m. We continued to walk down the road when we saw a doe laying on the side of the road. Iwalked up to it, and it started to wiggled and squirm. Iinspected it and it had a broken leg.  Iwalked silently back to the others. “She’s got a broken leg. Just wait.” Ireturned to the doe and it looked up at me. It’s eyes were frightened and it was in pain. Igently put my hand on her side and calmed her down. Her breathing eased and she stopped squirming.”That’s it. Easy down girl. I’m here to help you.” Ipatted her side and then reached for my pack. Ipulled out some gauze and started to wrap it around her leg tightly. She winced but then my hand when Iwas finished. “There you go baby.” Isaid softly. Ihelped her stand up and then she looked at me. She slowly trotted away back into the forest. Istood up and watched her leave. Warmth spread in my heart. Ireturned to the road and we continued to walk again. We walked and walked and walked, and finally, Isaw a city in the distance. “Kung Ho.” Ibreathed. We began walking faster. Suddenly, Namjoon stopped. JungKook, Jimin  and Iall looked back at him and we stopped. “What are you doing?” Iasked Namjoon impatiently. “Let’s have a race.” Igroaned rudely. “What the heck, Namjoon. A race?” He nodded. “No.” Isaid sternly. Iturned around and began walking away when Namjoon cleared his throat. Iturned around. He smiled as he held up my favorite food. My eyes brightened. “No way!” Icried. “Yes way!” He yelled. He smiled evilly at me as Istared at a sweet light cake with cream filling. Kēki. Iheard Jimin  and JungKook gasp also. It was our favorite food. “Get ready to race if you want to win this!” Namjoon shrieked with joy. He ran to a tree stump on the road and placed the KēkIon it. Then he came back. We had put our packs over there too. “Ready…” Isaid. “Set….” JungKook whispered. “GO!” We all yelled excitedly. Ipushed off of my left foot and sprinted. The wind blew my hair back and all Icould hear was the wind rushing past my ears. Ilooked behind me and saw the others catching up. “Since when did you get so freaking fast?!” Jimin  screamed. The finish line came closer and closer. Namjoon came up closer to me on my right. Ilooked to my left and Isaw JungKook and Jimin  . They all smiled at me greedily. “No!” Iwailed. Iwas almost there. Ireached out for the Kēki. We all lunged on it. “Oof!” We tumbled over each other. THUD! We hit a tree and stopped. Iyelped in pain as something clawed against the gauze on my wound. Amidst all of the tangled legs and leaves in our hair, Istuck my hand out to reveal to everyone that Istill had the Kēki. Iheard Jimin  groan. We all slowly got up and brushed off our shirts and pants. “Screw you.” Jimin  mumbled. “Since when did you get so fast?” Namjoon asked me. Iflipped my braid over my shoulder. “Training. Too easy, boys.” Iteased them. Iripped open the plastic wrap and split the KēkIinto four pieces. Ioffered them but they shook their heads. “You take it. You didn’t eat anything yet.” They all smiled at me sweetly. Ithanked them and munched. Then we picked up our bags and continued walking to Kung Ho. We stood in front of the gates of the city. The guard walked up to us. “What is your purpose for entering the city?” He asked us. We all clumped together, acting scared. “W-where here to see our sick grandma. We b-brought some m-medicine for her.” Jimin  whispered. “And s-soup.” Iadded quietly. They looked at us and then had some small talk amongst themselves. “Very well. You may enter.” They said. The doors opened with a mighty push by the guards. We thanked them and quickly scrambled inside.