Like

The Boy in the Neon Green Rain Poncho

“Sehun, why do you always hang out here? Is late.”

 

Luhan asked when he gave Sehun a cup of coffee during his night shift at the coffee shop.

 

“I get bored.”

 

“Fine. You might as well be the only client at this time.”

 

The coffee shop was empty with the exception of them.

 

“Luhan, what is your type?”

 

“My type of what?”

 

“Of girl or guy…”

 

“My type of guy? I don’t have one.”

 

“How can you not have one? Everyone has a preference.”

 

“Of course not; what is your type then?”

 

“My type… shorter than me, fair skin, pretty and hard working.”

 

“Ah like that guy that you went on a date with.”

 

“What? No, I mean… he and I are just friends. Now, what is your type?”

 

“Hmm, hard working? Yes, hard working.”

 

“That could mean anyone! How could ‘hard working’ be your type?”

 

“Why are you criticizing my ideal type? You said hard working too!”

 

“You can barely call that a type. Do you like tall guys? Skinny? Pick one!”

 

“Why are you getting all worked up because of that?! I won’t tell you.”

 

“Forget it!”

 

Sehun surrendered. He stayed with Luhan until his shift was over.

 

Sehun watched as Luhan covered himself under his neon green rain poncho. He couldn’t help but smile at everything that had changed between them since the first time they met.

 

“Ok, I’m going home now.”

 

Luhan said.

 

Sehun took a step forward and hugged Luhan, making the plastic wrinkle between them.

 

“What’s up with you? You are doing this often these days. Are you ok?”

 

Luhan asked. He heard Sehun chuckle before he ended the hug. But Sehun didn’t step back. He put his hands on Luhan’s face and moved forward until their lips were touching giving Luhan a gentle peck on the lips.

 

When Sehun finally stepped back Luhan’s eyes looked like saucers. He was clearly shocked by what had happened. Sehun waited for Luhan to say something.

 

“Got to go.”

 

Luhan muttered before running away. He sat on his bike and pedalled away before Sehun could stop him.

 

 

Sehun could not stop worrying. He had made a big mistake. He was too forward to fast and he had scared Luhan away. He couldn’t even blame it on alcohol. He kept sending text messages to Luhan but they remained unanswered, as were the many phone calls he had made.

 

 

Sehun was sitting in the Dry Cleaning Shop waiting, listening to the clock ticking away but Luhan had not come his way all morning. The wait was making him go crazy. He stood up and went outside. A walk would help him clear his head.

 

He was walking near the market when he saw a familiar neon green rain poncho. His heart almost stopped. Luhan looked up at that moment and saw him. His eyes showed his surprise at seeing Sehun. He turned around and started walking briskly away.

 

“Hey, wait!”

 

Sehun shouted before running to catch Luhan.

 

Luhan broke into a full run and it surprised Sehun that he was actually quite fast. At least Sehun had long legs but they made for a peculiar sight. A boy in a neon green rain poncho being chased by a tall guy across a town where barely anything ever happened.

 

Eventually Sehun caught with Luhan.

 

“Why are you running away?”

 

Sehun asked. Luhan kept looking at the floor avoiding Sehun’s gaze.

 

“About yesterday…”

 

“Why did you do it?”

 

Luhan asked.

 

“Because I wanted to.”

 

“I’m really confused right now Sehun. You like another guy. Why are you suddenly kissing me?”

 

“I told you Junmyeon and I are just friends. Truth is…”

 

“Whatever, let’s just… I got to work.”

 

Luhan passed next to Sehun and returned towards the market.

Sehun understood that Luhan needed some space, so he gave him some space during the day and went to look for him during his night shift at the café.

 

He saw Luhan moping the floor near the entrance as he got near. Luhan noticed him and blocked the door.

 

Sehun was trying to push it open but Luhan was keeping his hold.

 

“What are you doing? You can’t keep me out of here.”

 

“Yes I can, we reserve the right of admission.”

 

Sehun stopped scoffing incredulously.

 

“Fine.”

 

Luhan watched as Sehun returned the same way he came. Still he waited at the door just in case.

 

 

It usually took Luhan one hour to reach home. Today wasn’t the exception. He was really tired after everything that had happened. When he climbed the stairs he found Sehun waiting for him at the top step.

 

“Please stop avoiding me.”

Sehun said. Luhan surrendered and sat next to him.

 

“Why have you been running away from me?”

 

“I told you, I’m confused. I don’t know what to make of this.”

 

“I like you.”

 

They stayed silent and then Sehun spoke again.

 

“I really like you. That is real.”

 

“But, why? You had someone you liked. Someone who had a decent job and studies and…”

 

“I like you. Those things don’t matter to me. You are probably the kindest more hard working person I’ve met Luhan.”

 

Luhan looked up at Sehun and saw his sincerity.

 

“Since when?”

 

“A few months back.”

 

Sehun said a bit embarrassed.

 

They stayed in silence for a moment.

 

“I like you too.”

 

Luhan confessed.

 

“Are you serious? You are not going to say something like you like me as a friend are you?”

 

“I mean it.”

 

“Since when?”

 

“Since 2012 I think.”

 

“That was years ago. I wasn’t here back then.”

 

“Your dad buttered you up real nice.”

 

“But I treated you really bad at the beginning.”

 

“Nobody is perfect and I think that actually made me like you even more. You were real.”

 

Sehun starts laughing.

 

“And here I was worrying about making you like me and you had already fallen for my charms. Aren’t I a bit impressive?”

 

“I take that back.”

 

Luhan deadpanned. He stood up and walked towards his door but Sehun ran behind him and embraced him.

 

“Thank you, for liking me.”

 

“Are thinks going to get weird? I don’t want to lose my friend.”

 

“I think everything will be mainly the same, except with a few perks.”

 

Luhan pushed Sehun.

 

“You just had to ruin the moment didn’t you?”

 

Sehun hugged Luhan once more and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“Good night, boyfriend. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Sehun waved goodbye and Luhan watched him go, smiling happily.

 

 

Mr. Oh had just woken up, he was getting out of his room towards the bathroom when he saw Sehun getting out of his room all dressed up.

 

“Sehun, where are you going this early?”

 

“To pick up my boyfriend Luhan.”

 

Sehun smiled at his father while he waved a hand.

 

Mr. Oh started laughing. His son had finally found a purpose and someone he really liked. And he was more than thrilled that it was Luhan.

 

- End -