Falling

The Boy in the Neon Green Rain Poncho

Friday took too long to arrive for Sehun but it was too fast for Luhan. Sehun had a date that afternoon and Luhan would be taking the train early that day to see his family.

 

Sehun had talked to Luhan before he left but kept feeling uneasy. Luhan seemed off and very down on his spirit and Sehun didn’t quite like to see his friend like that.

 

The afternoon came and Sehun was ready for his date. He was wearing a button shirt and black pants. He took his date, Kim Junmyeon to the Italian Restaurant in town since it was fine dining and the only fancy place in town. They talked about many things and even when Sehun enjoyed the smiles and was having a really good time Luhan kept popping in his head. When Junmyeon excused himself to the bathroom Sehun checked his phone but there was nothing there.

 

They said their goodbyes for the night and Sehun sent Junmyeon home in cab. He immediately went home and grabbed his bike. Luhan’s place was an hour away and Sehun’s mind was running with many thoughts. About his friend who didn’t answer, how Luhan seemed to be having a hard time during the week and what his father had told him about love.

 

He reached Luhan’s room and knocked on the door but there was no answer so he decided to wait. He waited for 20 minutes when he noticed his friend climbing up the stairs looking drained from all his energy.

 

Sehun stood up scaring Luhan who was not expecting anyone at his door.

 

“Hey, what are you doing here?”

 

Luhan asked

 

“You didn’t reply to my texts so I wanted to see if you were ok. How is your mom?”

 

Luhan let out a loud sigh and dropped to the floor where Sehun was previously sitting being joined by the other.

 

“She is ok. Turns out she was just ‘sick of her nerves’ because she has ‘so many things to do’; nothing that a day at the spa wouldn’t solve. She is getting married again.”

 

Luhan fell silent.

 

“I wonder if she planned to tell me. He’s some kind of doctor I think.”

 

“Does your family have money?”

 

“No, not really. My dad had a small shop and we lived comfortable but when he died my mom didn’t know how to deal with it so she sold it and then spent all the money. She and my sister got used to a different life style and they kept living in it even when it didn’t fit them any more. I had to skip any prospect of college and started working. But it was better like that, I’m not one for studying, I prefer doing things.”

 

It was the first time Luhan shared his story and it showed Sehun yet another side of his friend.

 

“Anyway, let’s not talk about that anymore. How was your date?”

 

Luhan asked Sehun.

 

“How do you know when you love someone?”

 

“Huh? Uhm, I guess is when you like them so much that they occupy your entire mind and even the annoying stuff is ok. Why?”

 

“I think I might be falling in love.”

 

Luhan sighed again and got up.

 

“I’m glad for you, but I’m tired so I don’t want to hear any of it right now.”

 

“Wait, how can you leave when it concerns you too?!”

 

Sehun asks Luhan getting up as well.

 

“How does your date concern me?”

 

“What?”

 

“Ok, I’m really confused. I asked you about your date and you told me you were in love. If this isn’t about you falling head over heels in your first date then I don’t think I follow.”

 

Sehun starts laughing at Luhan’s statement.

 

“You are really silly.”

 

Sehun tells Luhan whom stares back at him unblinking.

 

“It’s nothing. You’ll find out later.”

 

Sehun says and then hugs Luhan.

 

“Sorry about your family.”

 

Luhan is taken by surprise.

 

“Goodnight.”

 

Sehun says as he leaves.

 

Luhan was confused because of Sehun's words as well as his actions. Sehun had never hugged him before but he sort of needed the hug so he says nothing.

 

 

As Sehun made his way back home he felt lighter. The fact that he realized he is falling in love with Luhan makes him happy beyond explanation.

 

He reached home and his father was still in the kitchen.

 

“Son, how did your date go?”

 

“Oh, that. Yeah that went well.”

 

Mr. Oh looks at him curiously.

 

“And where were you this late?”

 

Sehun gave his father a smile.

 

“I was with Luhan.”

 

“Ah, I see.”

 

Mr. Oh smiled at his son as Sehun left for his room. It seemed to him that his son had finally realized he had someone he really liked.

 

 

Sehun wasn’t someone to act on impulse and he didn’t quite know what to do with his new found knowledge of liking his friend Luhan. He treated him the same the first days, only now he knew how to recognize and organize his feelings better. He knew for sure that he had to come clear to Junmyeon. Pity, he really liked the guy and he was very good looking but his heart was already calling for Luhan.

 

They decided to have some coffee together.

 

“Umm, I don’t know how to say this exactly. I don’t want you to get me wrong, I like you but…”

 

“But you don’t like me that way. Yes, I figured as much.”

 

Junmyeon laughed easily after interrupting Sehun and finishing his statement.

 

“You did? How...?”

 

Sehun asked, baffled.

 

“You can call it instinct. But it would be nice to have a friend. I don’t have that many friends my age here and it’s a welcomed change.”

 

“Yes, I would actually love that. I don’t have many friends either.”

 

“Is it a friend of yours? The one that you like?”

 

Sehun smiled, unable to contain his happiness.

 

“Yeah.”

 

 

Sehun was at the coffee shop where Luhan worked; again. He had taken a habit of sitting down in the table nearest to the counter during Luhan’s entire shift. Luhan didn’t usually give him free stuff but today he had scored gold because Sehun had just been served a large Americano.

 

“Are you ok?”

 

Sehun asked as he saw Luhan sit down in the chair in front of him.

 

“My mom sent me her wedding invitation.” “I really dread the whole thing. I mean I’m happy for her but I’m the son that is never there and I bet they will start asking questions about what I do and my education level and all sort of pretentious things I don’t want to talk about to strangers.”

 

Luhan looked distressed.

 

“I’ll go with you.”

 

Sehun offered.

 

“What?”

 

“I’ll go with you if you want. That way you don’t need to talk to anybody but me then.”

 

“Really? You mean that? You aren’t backing out later right?”

 

“Yeah, I mean it and no, I won’t back out.”

 

 

Two weeks after that conversation Luhan was standing in the dry cleaning shop wearing a suit that Mr. Oh loaned to him. One of those suits that seemed to have been forgotten by the owner and left since forever in the stacks of clean clothes.

 

He was wearing a completely black suit with a black tie and white shirt. It didn’t fit him perfectly but he still looked good in it.

 

Sehun walked down from the apartment wearing a blue suit that was perfectly tailored for his body, his father having done the alterations when the suit was first bought.

 

Both of them combined made for a dashing view. Sehun insisted on taking a cab on the account that ‘he didn’t wanted to get all sweaty’ but he also wanted Luhan to be comfortable especially because of what was about to go through.