Business Partners

The Boy in the Neon Green Rain Poncho

Sehun had been keeping an eye on him for a few weeks now. He always came in the mornings, left a few suits and picked them up the next day on the afternoon. His clothes looked expensive and he always paid with a credit card. He knew the name well by now, Kim Junmyeon. It was on his card and on his order slip. Usually his father served the man but Sehun intended on getting himself noticed.

 

He woke up extra early and was rewarded when the bell on the door chimed and the man walked in. Sehun stood up straight making full use of his tall height.

 

“You come here often.”

 

Sehun ventured and saw the surprise in the man’s eyes when he was met with someone other than his dad.

 

“Ah, yes. Is the first time I see you here.”

 

Damn, now he was going to look like a creep!

 

“I’m helping my father out for a while, I see your name on the slips, that’s how I recognized you.”

 

“Ah yes.”

 

“My name is Sehun.”

 

“Nice to meet you.”

 

The man smiled at him and he looked a bit shy.

 

“These are very nice suits. Do you work around here?”

 

“Yes, at Park Company.”

 

“Nice, hope to see you more often.”

 

Kim Junmyeon gave him another shy smile as he walked out of the place.

 

Luhan entered at that precise moment.

 

“Yah, I need your help.”

 

Sehun said without a proper hello.

 

“What?”

 

Luhan looked a bit suspicious. Sehun had more or less accepted their friendship a few weeks ago but had never acted like this.

 

“I want to ask that guy out.”

 

“Why do I have to help you with that?”

 

“You owe me for helping you with the boxes to the port thing.”

 

“I already paid you for that!”

 

“You gave me my share of the job. Now you need to pay back the favour.”

 

“And for how long do I need to pay back that favour? Are you going to extortion me because of it?”

 

“Just this ok. Aren’t you supposed to be my friend?”

 

Luhan looked at Sehun and caved quickly. They were officially friends.

 

“Ok, what do you want?”

 

“I want to ask him out but don’t know how. Could you find out something about him? He works at Park Company.”

 

“He works at Park Company? Then the first thing you need to do is make some money. That guy looks like he has an expensive taste.”

 

Sehun looked at Luhan pondering what he just said.

 

“And how should I do that?”

 

“You can start by accepting my business proposition.”

 

“You know that sounds really weird right?”

 

“Ok come on, is just you helping me like the other time. That way we could get more clients and make more money.”

 

“Ok, ok. I’ll do it.”

 

“Good, can you start today? I have a job to fix some ceilings panels at the taekwondo studio, I could use your help, and your height.”

 

“Alright, let me deal with these.”

 

Luhan waited for Sehun to start on the clothes and tell his father before they could leave to start working.

 

 

They finished with the job at the taekwondo studio, they did a delivery for the fish stall to the Italian restaurant, fixed some wood panels at the mandu joint and now they were helping and old lady from town. They found her at the market and Luhan offered to carry her groceries for her. They were a bunch of fruit and vegetables since the lady had a business she ran from home doing juice and preserves.

 

“Young men sit down have some juice.”

 

“Thank you!”

 

Luhan said as they sat down and the lady went towards the back.

 

“I don’t want juice.”

 

“Just drink it.”

 

The lady came back with two full glasses. Luhan took his happily while Sehun took his reluctantly.

 

They both drank it and it was really delicious.

 

“Young men, how much do I owe you?”

 

“Oh, no its nothing. We were just helping you. Let’s just say we take the juice as payment.”

 

The lady thanked them infinitely and they left the place.

 

“Why didn’t you charge anything? We won’t make much money if you keep doing that you know.”

 

“I told you last time, is not always about the money; is about making relationships. When I got here I didn’t have much money, some days I didn’t have enough to buy food but these people never let me go a day without eating. And to be honest there are some things they can do themselves, but they always call me so I have work. I owe them a lot.”

 

Sehun stayed silent. He didn’t have a reply to that. But now he saw his friend in a new light.

 

 

Sehun was used to the dry cleaning shop. He even knew how to work the machines by now but the machines did all the work so he still felt bored every time he was left at the front of the shop.

 

It would be safe to say that he was overjoyed when he saw the neon green rain poncho come thru the door.

 

“You are here! Do we have a job?!”

 

Sehun practically jumped in his seat smiling widely.

 

“Boy, you look happy today. Its weird, I don’t know if I like it, it sort of freaks me out to be honest.”

 

Luhan said at seeing Sehun so happy for no apparent reason.

 

“Oh please. Please tell me we have a job to do.”

 

“Yes, we have a delivery to the next town.”

 

“Yehet!”

 

“You are so weird, you know that right?”

 

“Let’s go!”

 

 

They took their bikes and loaded the small boxes on the back just like they had done before. It was drizzling but it wasn’t heavy rain so they rode to the next town. On their way it started raining heavily. Luhan stopped his bike.

 

“I knew this would happen. Here wear this.”

 

Luhan detached a blue bundle that was tied to his bike. It was a poncho, just like his but blue.

 

“I’m not wearing that.”

 

“What?”

 

“That thing is hideous. I prefer to get rained on.”

 

“Suit yourself.”

 

They were close to the town of the delivery but Sehun was getting soaked by the rain. His white shirt was sticking to his body as if it was a second skin. Just then a truck went pass them splashing them with muddy road water. Sehun’s condition was worst than Luhan’s. He was sporting brown everything.

 

Luhan sighed at the pitiful sight that was Sehun.

 

“I live nearby, come on.”

 

They arrived at a zone of very modest houses and they climbed up to a rooftop, where Luhan's small room was.

 

“You live all the way here? Why do you work in my town then?”

 

“Here the rent is cheaper, and I really like your town.”

 

Luhan opened the door and there were two buckets collecting water that was coming thru the ceiling. It had a very small kitchen with a small fridge. There was a rice cooker and a plate drying off but nothing else in sight. A small mattress without bed was put in a corner and next to it on the floor was a lamp. There was a closet; a set of plastic drawers and other things but the room was mostly empty.

 

Luhan presented Sehun with clean pants and t-shirt. He was also given a towel.

 

“There’s the bathroom. When you change just leave the clothes on the floor.”

 

 Sehun did as instructed. He was wearing shorts that were just a bit shorter on him that they were usually in Luhan.

 

When he came out of the bathroom Luhan was emptying the buckets from the floor.

 

“Why don’t you fix those? You know how to do it.”

 

“There’s no much use in it. Once I fix them they just keep coming back. Those are the disadvantages of living on the roof I guess.”

 

“Thanks for the clothes and also for not saying ‘I told you so’.”

 

Luhan laughed.

 

“I made some coffee, and by the way, you will have to wear the poncho now.”

 

Sehun gladly took the cup of instant coffee but disregarded the comment about the poncho.

 

When they came out of the apartment the rain had stopped, only the ominous clouds remained.

 

“You are one lucky bastard.”

 

Luhan looked at Sehun who was smiling because he had no need of wearing the poncho now. Sehun put his arm around Luhan’s shoulders.

 

“I know.”