Chapter 9.

The Castle Wish (BTS x Got7).

Youngjae was about to open the front door of his house when his phone started to buzz like crazy. Yugyeom’s voice could be heard through the phone, reminding Youngjae that no, Yugyeom wasn’t dead and that yes, Youngjae did have other friends than Jaebum, Jackson and Mark.

“Hyung, I’m finally back from that family trip to Jejudo!” – Yugyeom exclaimed, happy that he could see his favorite hyung daily like usual.

“Oh, Yugyeom-ah! I didn’t know you would be back so soon! It hasn’t even been a month.” – Youngjae was also very pleased to hear his donsaeng’s voice on the phone. Youngjae’s been feeling bored and strangely empty ever since Yugyeom left Youngjae alone in Seoul to enjoy his time at the sunniest island with the most incredible view.

“I’ve missed you so much, hyung.” – Yugyeom whined like a child. Even though they were only a year apart, sometimes, when it was necessary or when he felt like it, Yugyeom could act like a 5 year old while speaking to Youngjae as the older didn’t mind it at all.

“I’ve missed you, too.” – Youngjae smiled into the phone. He did indeed miss his cute younger friend. Although it’s only been about 3 weeks, Youngjae missed Yugyeom a lot. He missed making fun of him and his tall figure, telling him to stop growing or he would soon become a giant. Youngjae missed watching Yugyeom practice his heart out, trying to make every move flawless so that he would finally be accepted into the talent agency and then soon enough become an idol whose music was liked by everyone. He also missed teaching him about music and listening to him sing different songs and correcting him when it was necessary. Youngjae however missed most of all just hanging out with Yugyeom and talking about whatever with him.

“Hey, hyung, want to meet? I’m about five minutes from your house.” – Yugyeom suggested which instantly brought Youngjae’s mood up.

“Sure. Let’s meet near our house.” – Youngjae said and hung up. Youngjae was satisfied for two reasons: one, he got to see one of his closest friends and two, he got to avoid his parents, especially his mom, a bit longer.

About 3 minutes later Youngjae saw Yugyeom running with a huge grin on his face. Although Yugyeom looked a bit like a creeper, Youngjae was still happy to see Yugyeom’s 6 feet tall self running to meet him.

“Yo! Yugyeom!” – Youngjae greeted his friend, hugging him tightly.

“You’ve gotten even taller! How is that even possible, huh?” – Youngjae commented, making Yugyeom blush a little.

“Ah, hyung, stop. I’m not that tall. There are people who are taller than me.”

“Wait, if you’re not tall then what am I? Am I some type of gnome or something? Seriously, that was so insensitive of you to say in front of someone shorter than you!” – Youngjae acted offended. That was the thing about Yugyeom and Youngjae’s friendship – Youngjae felt absolutely fine, sometimes even more than fine when he was with Yugyeom. Youngjae left all of his worries behind and only focused on the present. He only focused on Yugyeom and no one else. Not even Yoongi, who wouldn’t leave Youngjae alone even in his dreams. Whenever Youngjae was with this particular donsaeng and friend Youngjae felt like he could breathe again, he felt like free and simple.

“You should chill for a while and stop growing so intensely. I need some time to catch up with you!” – Youngjae kept on complaining on their way to the amusement park that basically served as Yugyeom’s practice room and Youngjae’s ‘happy’ place. Only at that amusement park that had the home like feel to it was Youngjae happy and problem-free.

“Did you learn a new dance while you were away?” – Youngjae asked, eager to see Yugyeom “the dance machine” dance until his bones broke in half and he couldn’t even move a single finger anymore. Another thing Youngjae admired and adored about Yugyeom – his devotion for his dreams, for dancing and singing. Yugyeom could have a free day all to himself and he still would spend the whole day practicing his dance moves or taking extra vocal lessons.

“No, I couldn’t even practice the old ones because my dad’s so against dancing and singing or just talent in general. He likes to think that my talent solely won’t make any money and won’t be able to feed me.” – Yugyeom said, stretching so that he could finally put his god given talent to use.

“That’s false information. Who made your dad think that way? Did you mention G-Dragon to him? He makes millions and he’s an idol!” – Youngjae said, finding a comfortable place to sit and enjoy Yugyeom’s ‘performance’.

“Sure, I tried. I even mentioned JYP himself, but dad wouldn’t listen to me. He never does.” – Yugyeom sighed. Yugyeom didn’t like having arguments with his parents as he was the youngest child and has always been his parents’ favorite child. “Spoiled brat!” – his brother used to point at him and say. Yugyeom would just laugh it off and stick his tongue at his elder brother. But recently, Yugyeom’s relationship with his parents, especially with his father, hasn’t been all rainbow and sunshine. His dad disapproved of his dream of becoming an idol someday, as his dad thought Yugyeom simple wasn’t ‘talented enough’ to make it in the idol world. Because of that Yugyeom’s been practicing a lot more and a lot harder. To prove his dad wrong, Yugyeom had to dedicate whatever free time he had to developing his dancing and singing skills and become South Korea’s number one artist.

“It’s okay, kid. Someday your dad is going to attend your concert that is going to be held in the biggest arena in the entire world and he is going to hug you and say: “Son, I’m sorry, I was wrong.” – Youngjae consoled his discouraged donsaeng while hugging his tightly. Youngjae very clearly understood that he was Yugyeom’s last hope and that Yugyeom depended on Youngjae to hear words of encouragement and motivation. Youngjae, to Yugyeom, was his shoulder to lean on when everything went wrong and he had no one or nothing else to uplift his spirit.

“Don’t worry, Gyeomie. You’re going to make it. I know it.” – Youngjae said and smiled.

After about 4 hours of dancing like insane, Youngjae and Yugyeom finally decided to call it a day and get something to eat. Youngjae and Yugyeom had a specific place for eating as well. It was a restaurant they went to regularly. So regularly, that the owner knew both of them by their first name and gave them occasional discounts.

“But hyung, when I think about it, sometimes I get this strange feeling like I might actually not be able to become the person I want to become, you know? This weird feeling when it seems as if everything is against you and that everyone wants to hurt you in some way. So whenever I get that feeling, which is pretty often nowadays, I just want to quit everything and lead a somewhat normal life. You know, like, go to a random university I don’t want to go, get my degree in something that I couldn’t care less about and just a live a boring stable life. Sometimes, that actually seems better than suffering like this.” – Yugyeom opened up as he and Youngjae were sitting there enjoying the delicious meal that the owner himself cooked with a warm heart.

“Really? Living a boring life where all you want to do is to stop living sound much better than living the way you want to live with some small obstacles?” – Youngjae couldn’t believe his ears. Yugyeom was the most dedicated and passionate person Youngjae has ever met. Never in a millions ears did Youngjae expect Yugyeom to complain about his life as an aspiring idol.

“Yeah, sometimes, I just want to quit and live a normal life, just like how my dad wants me to live. That way, I’ll stop wasting so much of my parents’ money and I won’t have to put myself through this awful pain of practicing hours and hours a day.” – Yugyeom said, blankly starring at his cut of soup that Youngjae bought him to refill his energy bank.

“But you have to admit, that pain from practicing way too hard feels so darn good at the end of the day that it makes you want to continue doing all of the crazy things you’re doing, doesn’t it?” – Youngjae asked, looking at Yugyeom, trying to remind him of all the pros of his dreams and aspirations. Youngjae could see how talented Yugyeom actually was with every note he sang and every move he danced. Youngjae very well knew that if Yugyeom quit now, all of his talent would go to waste. Youngjae didn’t want that to happen. Youngjae wanted everyone to see Yugyeom’s perfect body waves and all his weird and way too ual for his age hip s, he wanted the world to hear his milky, soft, soothing but powerful in his own way voice.

“It does. That’s true.” – Yugyeom smiled, glad that he had Youngjae to lift him up whenever he was down.

The rest of the night went by pretty quickly with Youngjae and Yugyeom on the swing set that was located in the small park next to Youngjae’s university. Youngjae glared as the university building caught his eye. He didn’t want to go to classes, he didn’t want to see Jaebum or Mark, he didn’t want to hear his music theory teacher yelling at him for uncompleted homework again.

“When’s the audition, again?” – Youngjae questioned, trying to take his mind off everything for a while again.

“This May.” – Yugyeom replied, nervousness vivid on his young face when talking about the audition that could turn his life either for the worst or the best.

“You’ve got some time then.” – Youngjae said. But just as he turned his face to smile at Yugyeom, his eyes caught a glimpse of something else, something or rather someone Youngjae never wanted to see – Min Yoongi.

“Who’s that weird mint haired dude coming over to us?” – Yugyeom, who also noticed Yoongi’s light footsteps, mumbled, squinting his eyes to see if he recognized the random stranger.

“Wait, hyung, isn’t he that guy from that idol group Bangtan something? What was his name? Sugar?” – Yugyeom was surprised to see a celebrity approaching them. What in the world could lead someone so famous into a place like this?

“Youngjae, is that you?” – Yoongi’s raw and low voice was heard not too far away.

“Wait, do you know him?” – Yugyeom was confused. How in the world his Youngjae, the most usual and normal person he knew, knew one of the most popular and successful idols in Korean pop.

Youngjae sighed, trying to escape to wherever. If it meant he wouldn’t have to face Yoongi, Youngjae was ready to go to Antarctica. “Please, just, let me gain a superpower just this once, god, please.” – Youngjae prayed on the inside. “Or maybe it’s not Yoongi hyung. It’s maybe someone very similar to him that also just happens to know my name.” – Youngjae thought, praying to whatever god he could think of that that was the case.

“Youngjae!” – Yoongi almost yelled out of excitement and joy. Youngjae lowered his head, trying to use his nonexistent super power and disappear from the face of the earth. Youngjae hated his university and everything around it. It never brought anything good in his life. Why did Yugyeom and Youngjae have to seat one those annoying swing set that was nothing but a bad luck charm on his stupid particular day? Why couldn’t the two of them just go their favorite frozen yogurt place like they usually did? Why did Yoongi have to come to this certain park today? Why couldn’t he just fly to Hawaii with all the money he made these days?

“Hyung?” – Yugyeom said, not knowing that had just happened and what he should do next.

“Yugyeom, I think you should return home now. I think your mom might be worried since it’s pretty late. I’ll call you tomorrow and we can hang out again.” – Youngjae smiled. Yugyeom knew it was a fake smile and that he probably shouldn’t leave him alone. But the desperate look on Youngjae’s face, convinced Yugyeom to leave his favorite hyung and famous stranger alone.

After Yugyeom left, Yoongi slowly came closer to Youngjae with a small and sad look on his face.

“Youngjae.” – Yoongi started. Yoongi lifted his hand to touch Youngjae but couldn’t as if he felt too guilty to even touch Youngjae.

“Hyung.”