: 27

Gravity

The maid of honor was running in her stilettos to the changing room after she rushed to her car to grab her phone that she left on the driver’s seat. Her hand was gripping on her dress trying NOT to trip and face plant on the chapel’s floor.

She stopped in front of bride’s changing room, taking deep breaths, trying to calm herself down. She was trying to look as calm as possible for her bestfriend because somehow she knew that the girl was extremely jumpy as well. Well, of course, this was her wedding day.

SHE IS FINALLY GETTING MARRIED!

She inwardly squealed, one last time before she pushed the door open. She gaped at the her bestfriend who was standing in front of the full mirror, ready for the ceremony.

She swore that her heart skipped a few beats before it could properly function again.

Her bestfriend turned to her and asked, “How do I look?”

She was still gaping at the beautiful view before her bestfriend repeated the question,

“Tiffany! How do I look?”

 

“You look amazingly beautiful, Jessi. You look like an an-“ Tiffany mentally cursed her wandering mind for blurting out the forbidden word on her bestfriend’s big day, “-ime.

“Anime?” Jessica quizzed Tiffany’s choice of words.

“Ye- yeah… That beautiful anime bride that I watched yesterday,” Tiffany was babbling random stuff just to distract the bride from the actual word. “You are so beautiful, you make the word ‘beautiful’ sounds so inadequate.”

 

Jessica smiled.

 

 

“Really?” she asked.

She turned back to look at herself in the mirror.

 

She took a deep breath and let out a long exhale. She bit her pink lips and held tightly to the bouquet in her hands.

 

This is it.

She thought as she looked at the bouquet in her hands.

This is the right thing to do.

I need to stop dreaming of the impossible.

I don’t love her anymore.

I guess the feeling just fades.

 

 

I’m free now.

Throughout the 3 years that have passed, she has trained her mind to rule over her aching heart. She taught herself very well how to distract her feelings of longing for her angel. She taught herself how to stop missing the person she never had. And finally, she managed to teach herself how to replace her with someone who is actually… real.

Henry is a good guy.

He knows me better than anyone else.

 

 

I’m going to be-

 

“You’ll be okay.”

 

Jessica looked up to see Tiffany standing behind her.

“You’ll be okay,” her bestfriend repeated, “Don’t worry.”

 

Jessica turned to her bestfriend and pulled her into a hug.

 

“I hate you, Tiffany,” she said.

 

“Don’t cry. It’ll ruin your make-up, stupid,” the girl advised, returning the hug.

 

 

 

“I hate you too, Jessica. Now, let’s go.” She pulled her from their hug, “Someone’s waiting for you.”

 

As they made their way to the main door, Jessica unconsciously wished that if something, someone, somehow, if anything, at all, should stop her, please stop her now, before she step on that altar.

Please.

No matter how hard she refused to admit, she knew that deep inside her heart, there has always been one part that never stopped praying, hoping and calling for her angel to come back.

And right now, as she stood in front of the door to the main hall, that part screamed in pain, begging for her to stop her track and turn back.

 

Never had she ever felt so divided as she did now.

 

One step, to a new beginning. The other, to another endless waiting.

 

I know I could wait a lifetime for you.

She started to reason with her heart,

 

But I need you here with me.

 

Before she could end her reasoning, the main door opened and all eyes were on her. Her heart beat with ache and anticipation, all at the same time, pushing her into a daze as she subconsciously walked down the aisle. The choir and the beautiful piano piece sounded nothing more than mere white noise in her head and soon enough, she was standing right in front of her groom.

She looked at him as he gaped at her and mouthed ‘you look beautiful’ into the thin air. He looked sharp and dashing in that suit too.

 

She took one last deep breath before she shut her heart off and diverted her attention to the pastor as he read their wedding vows.

 

“Do you, Henry Lau, take Jessica Jung Sooyeon, to be your wife,”

 

Wait.

The bride’s eyes widened as her heart was greeted with a familiar warmth.

 

“to cherish her in friendship and love today, tomorrow, and for as long as the two of you live,”

 

Wait.

 

“to trust and honor her, to love her faithfully, through the best and the worst, whatever may come,”

 

Wait.

Jessica turned to look at Tiffany during the vow, anxiously, trying to let her know what was happening. But Tiffany just scrunched her eyebrows cluelessly while trying to figure out the bride’s behavior.

 

“and if you should ever doubt, to remember your love for each other and the reason why you came together with her this day?”

 

Wait

Jessica started to panic as her hunch grew stronger.

 

 

 

“I do.”

 

.

 

The pastor continued to read Jessica’s vows, oblivious to the restlessness of the bride.

 

“Do you, Jessica Jung,”

Jessica.

 

“take Henry Lau to be your husband, to cherish in friendship and love today,”

 

Sooyoung.

 

“tomorrow and for as long as the two of you live, to trust and honor him, to love him faithfully,”

 

You look beautiful, my love.

Jessica cried as she finally felt the warmth she missed so much in her heart and the voice in her head.

The crowd was murmuring, thinking that she was being emotional because of the vow. A few member of the crowd started crying too as the pastor continued reading them.

 

“through the best and the worst,”

 

Sooyoung. Where did you go. How could you leave me. I was so empty.

I’m sorry, my love. I couldn't escape the punishment that I've brought upon myself.

The bouquet was stained by the tears of the bride as she poured out all the hurt she has been keeping all this while.

 

“whatever may come,”

 

I’ll stop this and we can be together again.

 

No.

You deserve to be happy in this life, my love.

She could feel the angel’s smile reviving her lifeless heart.

I will always be here with you.

Always.

Don’t you remember?

 

“and if you should ever doubt, to remember your love for each other and the reason why you came together with him this day?”

 

 

How much I love you?

Let me do my fair share of waiting now. Okay?

 

The bride was quiet with her head hanging low. Everyone was starting to get restless, waiting for the bride’s reply.

 

I love you. And I want you to be happy.

You won’t be happy if you continue to wait for me in this life. You’ll be lonely.

 

Do you love me, Jessica?

“Jessica?” the groom called out.

Jessica finally looked up to meet his gaze.

 

 

Do you love me, Jessica?

 

She swallowed her sobs down.

 

Do you love me, Jessica?

 

 

 

“I do.”

 

 

Good girl.

 

 

“You may kiss the bride.”

 

The groom smiled. The crowd cheered. Her bestfriend cried out tears of joy, so did her family.

 

So did the angel, as she embraced the bride with blessings and warmth.

 

Jessica closed her eyes, trying to imagine it was Sooyoung she was kissing.

A part of her was sad, another was glad.

 

Slowly, a smile bloomed on her face.

As long as you are with me.

 

I will be happy.

 

 

The crowd cheered on as they sent off the couple to the main door. Outside, there was a car waiting for the couple. There were bridesmaids standing on the steps, throwing confettis at them as they walk down the stairs.

 

While they were walking to the car, Jessica looked at her bestfriend and smiled dearly at her. She mouthed out an 'I love you' before she caught a glimpse of the person next to Tiffany.

 

There she was.

 

She looked just as beautiful as Jessica ever remembered.

The only person who's wearing a black dress at her wedding. 

She stared into those eyes that she missed for the past 3 years and those eyes stared right back into hers.

 

Be happy. 

 

You deserve it.

 

The bride's lips quivered as she turned away from the crowd, preparing to throw her bouquet. It was caught by some woman in the crowd that Jessica could ever care less about. 

She took one last glance before she entered the car with her husband. 

 

And just like that, Sooyoung watched her love left her behind. Again. And it felt just like the first moment when Jessica walked away from her. The feeling never changed - it's just she knew about it better now.

The wedding bells were still chiming and they echoed in her empty heart. 

 

"Excuse me."

 

The pardon surprised her. "Yes?"

 

"Are you, by any chance possible, Jessica's fabled angel?"

 

"Yes, Tiffany. I am."

 

"Oh my God! No wonder she looked at you like that! I knew it!"

 

"You surprised me. I never thought you wou-" Sooyoung's speech was cut short by an unanticipated slap from the girl.

"Did you just- "

 

"Oh. my. GOD. Did I just slap an angel in her face?" she exclaimed while holding her hand that had successfully slapped the angel square on her face. " it. I don't care if I got damned for a hundred years. BUT you deserved that!" the girl ranted. Sooyoung just continued to stare at the girl as she was still baffled by the slap. She towered over the girl, looking down on her. "How could you leave her for 3 years?! Do you know how devastated she was?" Tiffany was about to continue her rants but she paused when she saw the angel's tears rolling down her cheeks.

 

Well, Jessi wasn't lying about her beauty. Tiffany thought to herself as she studied the angel's sculpted face and figure.

 

"I guess it was my fault too," Sooyoung spoke softly, "You never knew that a day in the Heavens is a year on Earth."

 

Tiffany ignored the sorrowful regret and continued to lash out at the angel, "Then you shouldn't have come here! She has stopped thinking about you!"

 

 

"Telling yourself that you've stopped thinking about someone, is not stopping," Sooyoung replied calmly, "At least, we had a closure.

 

By the way, thank you for watching over her, Tiffany." 

Tiffany was frozen in place when she felt the angel leaned and kissed her forehead. For that one moment, she swore she felt as light as a feather, as if all her burden was lifted and her sorrows were erased. She looked up to match Sooyoung's gaze when she saw one of the most beautiful smile she has ever laid her eyes on.

"You'll find the love of your life soon enough. And don't worry. You won't be lonely." Sooyoung assured the girl and gave her the warmest smile. 

 

Tiffany was so captivated by her charms and the fact that she knew what Tiffany had been thinking about these past few days. Suddenly someone tapped her shoulder for attention. She turned around and saw a blonde woman with the bride's bouquet in her hands.

"You're Tiffany, right?" the blonde asked. She was almost at Tiffany's eye-level thanks to her heels but still slightly shorter.

"Yes."

"Ummm. This one's for you," the blonde said, shyly handing Tiffany the bouquet, "You might not recognize me, but we were in the college together. I can't believe that I am able to meet you again after 3 years."

"You are Taeyeon, right?" Tiffany asked, surprising the blonde.

"You remember me?"

"Of course, I do!" she flashed her eyesmile, "You have the nicest voice and you sang during the last concert of our senior year! Oh wait. I have to settle some-" as Tiffany turned around to catch the angel, she was already gone. "Darn it! It's true that she can disappear."

 

"Would you like to talk over some coffee with me... ummm... now?" The blonde offered.

 

Tiffany diverted her attention back to the blonde. "I don't drink coffee," she said coldly, causing the blonde to sigh in disappointment.

"But I do feel like eating ice cream," she continued.

"Ice cream it is then!" the blonde chirped.

 

 

Summer continued to watch over the newly wed. She was carefully watching over her as Jessica leaned against her husband's shoulder.

The guy assumed that she was tired because of the whole ceremony. Little did he know that his wife was finally relieved when the burden that she has carried in her heart has been lifted.

All this while she has been denying her feelings, it turned out, the only thing she needed was acceptance.

 

Accepting the fact that she could never love someone more than she does for Sooyoung.

Accepting that she needs her close, even if she can't have her.

 

Because her heart is always hers. 

 

And the truth is enough to set her heart free.

 


 

Was it confusing?

Sorry for any errors.

 

Comments juseyo~~~

 

Love,

Hana :3