: Another day i

Gravity

My eyes were closed and there was a peaceful silence but slowly, incoherent noises starting to seep through and gradually, they got louder and louder that it forced me to wake up from my afternoon nap.

I opened my eyes, just enough to peek at my friend who was sitting in front of me. He wasn't paying any attention to me. Perhaps he didn't even notice that I had awaken. His arm was hung from the back rest of the chair and he was facing to his side, talking to another friend. 

The class was noisy. Maybe it was something that the teacher said, which I didn't pay any attention to.

"Class!" my teacher, Mrs Susan shouted for the nth times. "CLASS!~" and again.

 

I just don't think it's possible for you to get the attention of 37 16-year-old teenagers, a few minutes before the bell rings. Just saying.

Whatever. Just good luck trying. I thought again before I nestled my head in my arms again.

 

With a few hard knocks on the wooden desk, my classmates finally listened to whatever Mrs Susan was trying to say. I think.

 

I heard a few chunk of words from the whole thing that she was saying.

A few of them were :

 

Impromptu

 

This Evening

 

Random

 

Represent

 

 

 

Jessica

 

Wait. What!

I quickly lifted my head up to know why was my name being mentioned and what's with the unity of decision?

"Excuse me?" I blurted, still adjusting my eyes to the bright light. "Somebody called my name?"

 

"Congrats, dude!" My friend said, with a smirk plastered on his face. 

A congratulations from him is never a good thing.

 

"So, Jessica..." I quickly turned my attention to Mrs Susan.

"Yes?"

 

"If you are not aware of it yet, your classmates have agreed to choose you as the class' representative for our Impromptu Speech Competition this evening."

 

"WHAT?!

 

Wait. Why am I not included in the whole voting process.

You should at least ask me whether i agree to this or not, right?" I asked.

"You're selected by majority so, technically you have no choice." My teacher shrugged her shoulders before continuing after the bell rang, "Okay!~ so, Jessi, we'll see you this evening. Don't worry about it. All you need to do is just talk about a random topic that you will pick from a ballot box.

 

It's as simple as ABC. Guys! Make sure you are in the hall 15 minutes before the competition!"

 

Me? I was too surprised to even say anything about anything. I just stood there and watch all my classmates wishing me luck before the competition.

"When is it again?" I looked at one of my classmates who patted by back, showing support, I guess.

"Ummm... 45 minutes from now?" she said after looking at her watch for a short while.

"WHAAAAAAAAT~~~~"

 

 

My mind went blank and all I did is talk to myself again at the backstage of the hall.

I'm screwed! I can't do this!

Yes you can. It's just talking.

But it's spontaneous talking!

But that's what makes it easy right? You just talk...

NO! Urghhhhhhhh~

 

"Hey, Jessi! You're the class rep too?" Someone greeted me.

"Henry!" I stood up and pulled him into a hug, which I totally had no intention of doing. He was surprised too, i guess, judging from his reaction. "They sabotaged me!~" I pulled away.

He laughed at me as if this is the funniest thing ever. IT'S NOT!

"You'll be okay~" He said.

 

I sat down again and ruffled with my hair.

"Are you the class rep too?" I asked him.

"Nope. I'm just helping out the teachers."

"Urghhhhh... Help me!~" I tried my aegyo on him. Somehow it worked better when I was in Korea. And was 5 years old. But it's worth the shot.

"What do you want me to do? Turn off the lights when you're up there?" he suggested.

"GOOD IDEA!"

"NO."

"But-"

"No.

 

Jessi~ You'll be okay. Trust me. You better get ready now," he diverted my attention to other reps who were lining up to get on the stage."The show is about to start. Good luck!" And just like that, he proceeded to doing his task.

 

I'm DEAD!

 

Just breathe. You'll be okay. 

Breathe in~ Inhale.

Breathe out~ Exhale.

You'll be great. It's just like telling a story to someone. Just look at one person from 3 angle of the crowd and imagine you're talking to them. Nod. Nod.

 

"I can do this, right?" I said to myself.

Definitely.

"Yosh!"

 

"Who are you talking to?" The stage manager startled me.

"I am... preparing myself."

She gave me a doubtful look before continuing, "Okay. Whatever it is, good luck! You're up."

 

I heard the announcement of my name as I made my way from the stage entrance to the center.

"Please pick a topic from the box." One of the judges instructed. 

I looked at the box next to me and put my hand in, just hoping I won't get a hard one. At least save me from the factual ones.

I pulled one paper out and unrolled it.

I read it before I read it out to the audience,

"Love at First Sight."

The audience went "Awwwwwwww~" as I finished reading my topic.

 

WHAT THE !!!??? 

 

"You have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to deliver your speech. You can start whenever you're ready." he announced again.

 

 

Okay. Prepare.

First love. No no no. First sight! Ummmmmmmm...

Once upon a time.

No no no. What am I? ing 4? 

Do you believe in love after love?

No no no. That's a freaking Cher song. ! Now it's stuck in my head!

Ummmmmmmm...

First love is like... NO! DAMN IT! It's LOVE at FIRST sight!

 

"Jessica."

"YES!" I shouted at the microphone.

"You may start."

!

 

"Okay. 

 

Um.

 

 

Hi."

I was tongue-tied. My mind just went on a super slow buffer mode. And I just stood there, on the stage, in the light, freakin frozen, like a total .

"Ummmm. Love." I felt like a kid who just learnt her first word and all she has to say is that one word.

"Love. Ummm.

 

 

Sorry." I started to hyperventilate. My hands were as cold as a frozen fish. My knees were shaking.

 

I started to hear people murmuring from the crowd.

I was pretty sure that I would faint anytime now.

There were hundreds pairs of eyes that were staring at me. Murdering me with the attention as my nervousness suffocates me.

 

Calm down.

Breathe.

I remembered to breathe again.

Look at the center of the crowd.

I did.

But I came to a surprise when I caught a pair of familiar eyes looking at me. 

 

My eyes rounded in surprise. That woman.

She doesn't age. She looked the same, as beautiful as, if not more beautiful than, the person I remembered. 

The face that I've been missing for years. The person that I thought was as close as a dream to me.

It's Her. 

She tilted her head and gave me small nods, gesturing me to continue.

Somehow, I felt a familiar warmth.

 

I felt...

 

"...okay.

 

Ladies and gentlemen,

Have you ever felt stupid?

Have you ever told yourself that you must be dreaming because somehow it felt too surreal to be true?

 

I think, all of us have the 'love at the first sight' moment. But somehow, we refuse to admit them because it sounds so absurd that no one would believe us. We don't want to look stupid so we told our friends that 'We just know' or even more common, we told ourselves that 'we don't know' and we just ignore it.

 

But I. 

I don't want to ignore it.

 

I don't want to ignore the warmth when I looked into those eyes.

I don't want to ignore the butterflies in my tummy when I saw a smile on that face.

I don't want to ignore my erratic heart when I stared at that beautiful visage that could only be of an angel's.

I refuse to ignore how safe i felt when she looked at me at held me in her arms."

 

Again, I heard murmurs from the crowd, for some reason. But I didn't care. Really. Because my eyes were fixed on her.

 

"Ladies and gentlemen,

If you had your love at the first sight moment and somehow, life destined you to be with that person, you are automatically The Luckiest Person on earth. At least in my dictionary.

 

I think, we should all stop for awhile and think about that person and how much they mean to you.

 

Because take it from me, The right person will come into your life once. Sometimes they might come in the most unfitted of time. They might come when you were too young to even realize or when you're too worn out to love again. But there will always be this one person whom you know, at first sight, that they are the one.

 

Because I spent my life finding for the piece that would complete this cold heart of mine and the moment I see you, 

 

Sooyoung,

 

I want to be with you.

Like the weirdest of fictions or the cheesiest of chick flicks,

 

Don't disappear again.

Please."

 

She smiled dearly at me. But I didn't smile back because I noticed that the smile was tainted with sadness and burdened with guilt. 

And I'm scared.

 

I really wanted to just jump down the stage and run to her. I rehearsed that in my mind as I wait for the time keeper to ding the bell.

 

You did well, Jessica

 

I diverted my gaze to the time keeper as he ring the 3-minute bell.

 

I quickly dashed down the stage, ignoring the pain that immediately stung my ankle as I landed on the floor. I ran towards the center where she should be standing. I squeezed and muscled through the crowd.

People stared at me and were talking about my abrupt act but I don't care.

 

Please don't-

I stopped at the spot where I knew I could finally see her. 

I fell down in my knees when I realized...

 

She disappeared again.

 

 

And all she left behind was the most beautiful stem of yellow daffodil I've ever seen.

I picked the flower up from the ground.

I held it close to my heart as I cried my feelings out.

 

 

How hurtful it must've felt for this flower. To be so beautiful and yet left behind as if she is not worth the love she wished for.

How hurtful it must've felt to be given away when all she wanted is to stay with you.

 

I must be crazy to fall in love with an angel. Or a Ghost.

Either way, 

 

 

 

It kept on pulling me down.

 

Like gravity.

 

 


 

 

Some of you were asking what's behind the title. Well, here's the answer :

 

The numbers refers to Jessica's current age.

'Another day' chapters are filler chapters. Most of it would be written in someone's perspective.

 

Let me take you to a journey through my complicated, simple mind

 ;)

 

Comments Pleaseeeeeeeee~