: 21 ii

Gravity

"You dare not save her, if death is what she chooses."

Summer stared at the girl who was standing on the edge of a 40-storey building.

"Summer." An angel summoned her name as she seemed to ignore his first warning.

"I understand, Azrael," she turned to him, her eyes were almost pleading, "but if she chooses Death over me, please make it painless for my love."

The angel of Death stared at the latter, "Death knows no friend nor enemy."

 

 

Jessica leaned forward, staring down to the concrete pavements down below. Her cold hands were gripping tightly on the railings, following the orders from her brain but her foot was stepping forward onto nothing, listening to her pained heart. 

"I'm falling for you, Sooyoung.

 

 

Will you save me?"

Her right foot stopped in mid-action when she felt someone staring at her. She stopped when her hunch told her, Turn around.

She pulled her foot in, contemplating to turn around. But her tears began to fall when she finally heard the voice that she heard 14 years ago saying,

 

 

"Please?"

 

She didn't turn around to face the voice who was only a few feet behind her. She was scared it might be one of her dreams again. She was scared it might be someone else. 

She was scared that her angel was there, only to leave her again.

 

She hung her head low. Her feet were on the edge. Her hands were still gripping on the railings. 

She leaned back against the railings as she let her tears flow.

 

Summer, on the other hand, was watching her closely, trying hard to hold back her tears but only God knew how her heart, wrenched as she studied her love's back.

Somehow, this felt like a dejavu. But even if she has been through it another thousand times, 

 

"You can't feel, Summer. What do you know?"

 

she knew, it would still hurt just the same, if not more. 

In her mind, in her heart, she has all the things she wanted to say, she rehearsed every line she wished to confess and replayed every action she wished to do.

No wonder He made it a punishment not being able to love you, not being able to explain to you; to see you hate me and hurt yourself for loving me, all at the same time.

 

 

"Do I have to risk my life, just to see you?" Jessica finally spoken. "It is not living, if every. single. day. I'm dying inside, Sooyoung."

 

Sooyoung choked on her tears everytime she heard a sob from the girl.

 

"Do you know how hard it is for me to tell my heart that it is wrong? That loving you is not love. That all these feelings are just delusional thoughts and I want them to go away.

 

 

When I know it is the only thing I wish to come true."

 

Carefully, she turned to face the angel but still standing on the ledge.

She traced every curve on the angel's face with her eyes and imprinted it in her mind. She studied her sad, regretful expression that was well hidden behind a calm facade.

"Tell me Sooyoung,

what would happen if I jump off this building?" she tried to catch the latter's gaze but was still hypnotized by it when she did.

 

"It's up to you."

Jessica's heart twitched at the statement and she could feel a poison oozing out of a tear on her heart.

 

I don't want to be in Heaven without you. I would beg God, every second of the minute, every minute of the hour, every hour of the day and every day in forever, for His Mercy to release you from the Eternal fire. And when He does, I would go to the deepest pit of Hell and carry you in my arms, back to where we belong. And if He doesn't, then, I would hold you in my arms as the fire engulfs us both, torturing us for the Sin we did.

"It is up to you to decide, Jessica. 

If you choose Death over Life, I can't stop you. I can't, even if I wanted to." she implied, after swallowing down her rebellious thoughts and truthful confessions.

I don't want to be in Heaven without you.

 

 

"What's the point of living, if I hurt myself everyday, just thinking about you?" Jessica asked again.

 

"Life is like a prison," she answered calmly, "it is cruel to the kind ones. But the sentence is even more painful for the unkind.

If you kill yourself in the prison, you'll stay in the prison.

 

But if you are patient, you'll get your freedom again.

And when everything ends the way it should be, it will all be worth it." she was trying hard to intimate her thoughts to Jessica.

 

 

"Sooyoung,

 

 

do you love me?"

 

Sooyoung bit her tongue.

But when she looked into those eyes that she missed and that sad expression that she wished to erase, she finally answered,

"More than anything else. I do."

 

 

That was finally enough to draw a smile on Jessica's face. 

Which, in turn, drew one on Summer's too.

 

But within one blink, she saw Jessica being pulled off the railing by the rough wind. She watched as Jessica's arms stretched so that her hands could grab the metal railings again but they were to no avail. She watched how Jessica stared at her, looking ever so afraid of greeting Death.

She wanted to save her.

 

She wanted to save her.

 

She wanted to save her.

She turned to Azrael who was ready to welcome his old friend. She looked at him with such demanding and questioning eyes.

Azrael leered at Summer.

"I hope you get to her first."

 

 

Hearing that, Summer dashed forward and leapt off the ledge at lightning speed, hoping that she could race against Azrael, who has never been late to take a life, even within the moment the first dry leaf greets the waiting earth.

 

 

 

 

Concurrrently, Jessica couldn't do much other than watching every moment as it happened.

When the wind carried her with them 

When her fingers slipped off the railings.

When Sooyoung slowly vanished from her view.

When her hands touched the night sky and the cluster of stars.

 

She shut her eyes tight afraid of what she was seeing. 

Sooyoung

 

 

And just like when she was 7,

she felt the warmth that missed so much. This time, she clenched on her shirt. And this time, she swore not to let go.

She took shelter in her warmth and savor all of the person she missed so dearly.

Only after awhile, she realized that her feet were firmly planted on the ground. She quickly switched her clenching hands to a tight hug around the girl.

She buried her face in the taller girl's chest and how happy she felt when the person hugged her back.

"Don't go. Please don't go." She refuse to open her eyes and watch the person disappear again. She refuse to loosen the hug and let the person get away again.

 

Summer instinctively hugged the girl when she realized how close she was to losing her. It was her job to protect her. It was her only job. And this is her only love. The moment she realized that she had beaten the Great Azrael. her eyes began to search for the angel only to see him watching them from on top of the building. He vanished into the dark sky and has Jessica's life to spare.

Sooyoung tightened her hug for the longest moment she had before she let go and lifted the girl's chin to look at her. 

She stared at her with such loving and promising eyes that any girl would ever wish for.

 

"Jessica," she spoke lowly, "love is not about continuously yearning and hurting yourself for what you want." She wiped the shorter girl's tears away as they trailed down her cheeks.

She realized that she was about to break the rules but it was worth a shot. She couldn't stand the sight of her tortured love.

So, she tried bending the rules.

 

Because watching her like this, was already the worst of Hell itself.

 


"Love is about appreciating those you have and being there when they need you. You have a lot of people who love you so dearly, Jessica, that it would break their hearts to lose you without a goodbye. 

These people will fight for you even when you're too tired to fight for yourself.

 

Love is sacrifice. Love is selfless."

 

"But I love you and I need you," she pleaded, knowing that she was about to lose her again.

 

 

 

The angel smiled.

"Have I ever left you?

 

 

Have I ever stopped loving you?

 

 

You don't have to fight for me, or hurt yourself for me. I'm already yours.

 

Just not now. Never in this world.

 

But, oh, will i wait for you." She cupped her cheeks and planted a peck on her forehead.

"Stop chasing me.

 

And turn around. You'll see who has been with you all this while.

 

 

And start living."

 

Sooyoung unwrapped the shorter girl's arm from her waist and held it by her sides, unconciously restrincting her. She leaned forward to peck on the girl's lips.

Jessica closed her eyes and long for the kiss.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Dude."

 

 

 

Jessica opened her eyes when she felt the absence of Sooyoung's touch. And to the familiarity of the voice.

She stared at the person with her lips puckered, still anticipating a kiss.

 

 

"That's disgusting." 

 

She bit on her lip and glared at Tiffany.

 

"I bought you a Caramel Latte, hoping that it would make you feel better," she said as she handed the coffee to Jessica, "and I need coffee to think and stay awake, so that we could talk more about this angel of yours."

 

"You don't find me weird?" Jessica took the coffee.

 

"Weird people have to stick together."

Tiffany flashed her eyesmile. "Come on! I miss my bed."

 

Jessica smiled in gratefulness as she stared at her friend, walking into the building.

She held onto her necklace and planted a kiss on it.

 

"You owe me a kiss, Sooyoung.

 

 

And a lifetime."

And she swore, she could feel her angel smiling upon her.

 

 

 

 

 

Far at the abandoned corner of the night, stood two angels, watching upon the two punished souls.

"It's very rare of you to show Mercy, Azrael." 

 

 

"I don't. 

Mercy is not a gift to the dead.

It's a blessing for the living."

The angel of death spread his dark wings and it engulfed the whole city with despair.

"Maybe you're the one who's showing too much of it, Michael."

 

 

The Archangel smiled.

"Maybe."

 

 


Sorry for the abundance of errors.

 

Comments juseyo~

Please? ><