The Blackest Day

Days like this

It was half as difficult to get closer to Daehyun as Youngjae had imagined it would be. Things came easy to them and their friendship was developing beautifully Junhongs words, mind you. Youngjae loved visiting the bar after actually finishing his studies, he had to make sure of that because the last time Minhyuk nearly ripped his head off when the older found out Youngjae had been slacking off. But after reading netizens blogs and so on about the topic of his assignment and finishing the paper he'd started for the day, Youngjae felt at ease going to visit Daehyun. Of course sometimes he'd be too early so Himchan was standing at the counter, a big cheshire grin playing on his lips and a Missed me? in the air.

Youngjae didn't know how but the bar has become a save haven for him.

The bars name was Concept, Daehyun told him once because he thought Youngjae never really paid attention to it. And truthfully, Youngjae hadn't, so Daehyun started talking about how the owner had this really really great idea of this bird suddenly taking its seat on a woman's Margarita Glass. And the woman began to have all these crazy ideas, concepts for stories, novels, poems, everything that came to your mind. Daehyun said the woman is supposed to be the owners wife, a beautiful lady with auburn locks and maroon brown eyes that always captured sun rays and a soul so kind Youngjae would love her if she'd came by. The Blue Bird was her muse, beautiful, with blue and turquoise feathers that were rich of color, with its witty charms and captivating harmonies he tricked her in believing he belonged to her. Was for her only.

And Daehyun had stopped at that, looking at Youngjae with a gentle smile and soft eyes, Youngjae had to swallow the lump that had been formed in his throat and he had asked Daehyun what happened after that.

But the only answer was that the bird on the Margarita glass became their logo. And Daehyun had swatted every question about the story away, laughing softly at how stubborn Youngjae could be and the older had taken his phone surprisingly, telling him to bother him via text because he was tired and wanted to go home.

Eventually, winter left and spring came, and Youngjae was looking up to the floriferous trees to see if any Blue Bird was hiding up in them. By the end of March, the student was content with some of the pictures he had taken. His camera was with him a lot more than the previous years he'd spent in college. And if he had to be honest, Youngjae liked the pictures, liked the way he had captured those beautiful birds and Youngjae would enthusiastically visit Daehyun in the evening and show him the shots he'd taken during the day.

One evening when Youngjae exceptionally accepted a drink or more from Daehyun, the older had asked him for his address before the student would be about to pass out. And after all, they both left a seething Jongup behind when Daehyun drove a tired and drunk Youngjae back to the boys own apartment.

Thinking back, Youngjae wondered how they grew naturally so close. He didn't mind though, Junhong had been so busy with classes and dancing the young boy barely had time for his friends anymore and Jaebum was always, always busy. Shrugging Youngjae off when the boy wanted to go out for dinner or have a study session over at Jaebums, it wasn't anything new, but Youngjae didn't want to repeat the summer where his best friend was so absent towards him that Youngjae had thought he'd done something terribly wrong.

Every minute Youngjae was able to spend with Junhong and Jaebum together now was precious, he pushed the thoughts aside and laughed along when Junhong showed his hyungs the wound he's gotten himself whilst skating the other day.


 

"Don't laugh, it really hurt." Junhong pouted, examining the crusted wound on his left elbow. He poked it and a hiss left his mouth, only triggering his friends to laugh more.

"You look like a hurt puppy." Jaebum said, smiling along and ruffling Junhongs hair affectionately.

"You're horrible, why do I put up with either of you?" The youngest pushed his chair back, combing his hair back and heaving his backpack over his shoulder. "I gotta go though, let's have lunch or something. I got time this week." And with that Junhong disappeared out of the campus, his backpack jumping up and down with the bounce in his steps.

"Man, he's all grown up. Now he's even embarrassed to be with us old people." Youngjae laughed, his shoulder lightly bumping into Jaebums, who, surprisingly didn't flinch at Youngjaes touch.

"Yeah, but let him be, I mean, we've been young too once, right?" Jaebums fingers formed those awkward finger guns, pointing at Youngjae who could only roll his eyes at the elder.

"You talk like we've been married for ages." Youngjae snorted, packing his books into his bag which was lying somewhere scattered on the floor under the table.

"You'd make a lovely wife." And Jaebum received a playful punch for that. "So, what has my beautiful wife planned for tonight?"

"To be honest with you, my dear friend. I wanted to show Daehyun the pictures I've taken today after maybe meeting up with Minhyuk, although he told me he probably won't make it."

"Those bird pictures? How many have you taken of those, isn't it boring?" Jaebum huffed, collecting his belongings from the bench and table they've been occupying for the last hour.

"No, it's not boring. I actually like taking those pictures and Daehyun likes them too." Youngjae said, furrowing his brows and placing his bag on his lap.

"Of course he does. You two have been spending an awful lot of time together recently." The older one snapped, crossing his arms over his broad chest and looking down on Youngjae with that attitude the younger had always hated.

"What are you saying, I thought everyone would be happy if we'd get along."

"Seems like you're getting along just peachy."

"And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Why don't you figure it out yourself." Jaebum got up, leaving with a forced See you tomorrow and Youngjae was left alone sitting on the oh so sad campus bench.


 

Lately Jaebum had been acting so out of it, he'd be completely normal and just a second after he'd spat at Youngjae and leave him. Always, always did Youngjae worry that he's done something wrong, something he said may had offended Jaebum or something he did hurt him. Yet he couldn't figure out what exactly pushed the button and suddenly transformed the older boy into the man he had been seconds ago.

It sure did frustrate Youngjae a lot, but he couldn't really go up to Jaebum and expect him to spill the beans as to why he suddenly just starts acting like that. Neither did Youngjae find a special trigger, no special topic nor act seemed to spark this hideous side of his best friend.

But it was fine, Youngjae told himself, swinging his backpack over his shoulder and leaving for the day. As said earlier, he'd wait for Minhyuk to write him but nothing, Youngjae did not receive a text nor a call or even an email for gods sake, Minhyuk. The boy seemed to be so eager to finish the project as soon as possible, lecturing Youngjae about how he didn't read those books in January and now he was the one who always ditched him. First of all rude and second of all, Youngjae didn't even know what the other boy was up to.

And honestly thought, Youngjae thought he was out with his girlfriend, although he didn't know if Minhyuk had one but it seemed to be the most logical thesis.

He sat down on his couch, lying sideways and twisting his head so he would be able to look out of the window. It was rather warm now, it being the end of March and Youngjae was able to go outside in just jeans and a t-shirt, sometimes he'd have to carry a jacket after Daehyun, who'd told him that the evenings were still chilly and Youngjae would catch a cold if he'd just wear a shirt.

Often it lead to Youngjae forgetting his jacket  accidentally because he didn't want to bother carrying it around with himself for the entire day when he'd head straight to the bar after classes. When he'd leave around ten or sometimes a little later, Daehyun left Jongup alone (which he should definitely stop doing) and let Youngjae borrow his jacket whilst walking to the younger boys bus stop.

Youngjae would strip the jacket off of his shoulders and Daehyun would start nagging and all, like some overprotective soccer mom and tell Youngjae to keep wearing the jacket but he couldn't forget it the next day.

This especially happened when Youngjae told Daehyun he couldn't visit the bar the following day and Daehyun made sure Youngjae had his jacket when entering the bus. Just minutes later the younger would receive a text message from Daehyun, telling him to bring him his jacket the next day because he urgently needed it.

Youngjae smiled, thinking about how dorky the other was and how unbearably needy, always wanting attention like an overly excited child. It was cute though, Youngjae would never admit that out loud in front of Daehyun but right now, there on his couch, he could think like that.

 

 

He'll wait for a sign from Minhyuk and then head out for the night. It was Friday after all and Youngjae wouldn't have to worry about getting home too late, or needing to wake up early for one of his oh so dreaded morning classes.

Yet as time trickled by, Youngjae grew to be bored, snatching his phone out of his bag which was lying on the floor underneath him. Surely, Youngjae remembered turning the sound on after leaving his last class but looking at his notifications, there were thousand messages from Minhyuk, telling him he'd be gone for the weekend and Youngjae shouldn't make time for him or one of their study dates.

A groan left the boys throat, hanging gravely in the air after closing Minhyuks text and opening others. One being from Jaebum, saying simply "I'm sorry Youngjae. Let's have dinner with Junhong tomorrow?" and Youngjae sighed, the edge of his lips twitched into a sad smile as he responded that he'd have time and would be happy to spend some with the two of them, maybe they could invite Jinyoung too.

The other texts were, surprisingly not from Daehyun, but from Yoongi from his social studies class, asking him about the needed documents for their project which was due in a few month only now. He quickly responded and grabbed his wallet and Daehyuns jacket, which was still scattered somewhere in his wardrobe.

Youngjae was quickly out of his flat, his camera dangling around his neck and everything he deemed important in -his- Daehyuns coat pockets. The jacket was definitely more on the coat side, a rich navy blue color and silver buttons were trailing down until reaching just above Youngjaes knees. The coat wasn't very thick, it being okay to wear in the late evening when the clouds would vanish from the sky and leave a cold, harsh breeze sweeping through the streets of Seoul.

The thing Youngjae loved most about the coat was its smell, after having visited Daehyuns apartment more than twice until now made him recognize the warm smell, it reminded him of milk mixed with honey and cakes in the evening. It reminded him of cozy fire places in pretty apartments high up in Seoul. It reminded him of cold nights with many blankets, hot chocolate and playing footsies under the covers. It reminded him of warm summer evenings, the sun still out and feet running over fresh mowed grass.

It reminded Youngjae of so many things and he was scared, of the warm feeling that was emitting in his guts and his beating heart that was out of its natural rhythm.

He quickened his steps, afraid of the thoughts that were running too fast through his mind, he couldn't even reach for them.

The evening was rather cold, and Youngjae nuzzled his nose into the rich warmth from Daehyuns coat, ignoring the electrical feeling buzzing though his veins. He was already in the street of the many bars and restaurants, all lined along the sidewalk with their shining signs and promises of warm meals and fruity cocktails.


 

Once Youngjaes fingers were on the icy door knob, he pushed the heavy door open to be greeted by the now familiar scent of the bar. His eyes immediately darted over to the counter, expecting Daehyuns built figure to be standing there with his usual grin and a bottle in his right hand.

But he wasn't there. Instead of him, Himchan was leaning onto the counter, cleaning a high neck glass with his eyes gazing lazily around. Youngjae checked the time, to make sure he wasn't too early and came when Himchans shift wasn't over yet.

Seeing that that wasn't the case (Daehyuns shift should have started 15 minutes ago) he went over to one of the bar stools and nudged Himchans shoulder, gaining the older ones attention.

"Youngjae! Haven't seen you since, a few weeks was it?" Himchan smiled, putting the glass aside and patting Youngjaes shoulder over the counter. Youngjae only grinned back, admiring the older for his smooth character, being able to swiftly switch into a conversation. Sure, Youngjae wasn't some antisocial college student who only ever left his flat to go to class, but Himchans nature seemed to be so full of charm that Youngjae was always awed by it.

"You don't even got to open your mouth, I know what you want to ask." Himchan said, grinning now and raising an eyebrow to get the younger ones approval.

"Well then, go ahead." Youngjae laughed, pulling his camera over his head and placing it in front of him on the counter.

"You want to know where Daehyun is. Sad news boy, his parents suddenly came over from Busan, it's not such a good time for him now I guess."

Youngjae furrowed his brows, tilting his head a little bit, breathing out a "Why?".

"In all honesty? I'm not sure if Daehyun would want me to talk about this to you but, frankly, you two are so close I don't really thing he would mind now, would he?" He asked, fidgeting a little with the wash cloth his his hand.

"I don't know, what wouldn't he want you to talk about to me?"

That was a hell of a sentence boy, I mean. I just hope he won't mind, I thought he'd already told you but apparently the country boy likes to keep his secrets."

Secrets? What are you talking about?" Youngjae asked, curiosity now swiping his mind of any rational thought.

t's not much of a secret, all of his close friends know about it and it's literally not such a big issue. But the boy has his complexes I guess." Himchan said, gesticulating hurriedly which just irritated the younger.

Himchan, just get to the point."

Okay, okay. I'm gonna keep this short and don't tell Daehyun I was the one to tell you. Got that?"

Youngjae only nodded and waited for the bartender to go on, seeing how Himchan looked over his shoulder to make sure that no customer was needing him now or any minute.

Well, Daehyun and his parents have this super tense relationship to keep it nice. His parents own this crazy important economy company, don't ask further I never really cared enough to ask him. And you know, those people are all filthy rich and of course, so are Daehyuns parents. Not only his parents, his grandparents too and every family member that is a part in the company. So yeah, and now just try to imagine Daehyun in between all those people in suits holding cheap champagne glasses with way too sparkly beverage in them."

Doesn't fit him to be honest." Youngjae mentioned, having the picture right in front of his inner eye and really, Daehyun in a suit and all wasn't what was wrong, but Youngjae couldn't imagine the older boy to be smiling in between all those people.

Exactly. Daehyun is fun, he's a nice guy who couldn't care less about wealth. And his parents are these super strict people, always wearing proper clothing and going out in the evenings to those dinner parties held in VIP areas of expensive restaurants. But Daehyun is their only son and he'll have to take over the company when his parents aren't able to anymore or some ."

You mean when they die, don't make fun of them."

"Yeah, yeah." Himchan smiled, not meaning the mean words he was uttering right now. "But you see, Daehyun does not, like definitely does not want to take over his parents company. He loves going to college way too much and he loves music way too much to end up working in some ing company behind a desk."

"Didn't he tell his parents that? I mean, come on, I bet they'd sorta understand him, wouldn't they?" Youngjae questioned, he didn't know Daehyuns parents nor his family but it couldn't be that bad, right?

"Course he did, but his parents didn't listen and still force him to attend these yearly meetings. And like, I'm pretty sure they aren't the kind of parent that fulfilled their kids wish list for Christmas. They're really uncomfortable to be around, even Daehyun thinks so."

"They just don't get along? Just like that? That's weird, they must have some reasoning, right?"

"Well, they sorta have." Himchan said, a heavy puff of air leaving his parted lips. "But I think you should ask him that yourself."

"What? What should I ask him?"

"Now, now. You know, I'm surprised he even went that far, he's pretty serious about this I see." And the older one smiled, kindly looking down on Youngjae who was sitting there with big, glassy eyes and confusion swimming in them.

"Serious about what?" Youngjae whined, getting a tad bit frustrated with Himchan. He told him everything about Daehyuns parents (or like, the gist Youngjae should know to understand the situation) but he refused to talk further about all the /interesting/ stuff.

"Gotta ask him yourself." Himchan whistled, leaving Youngjae sitting at the counter.

Youngjae ignored Himchans calls when he pulled the coat over his shoulders and grabbed his camera to leave the bar. It was an unusual time for him to leave but he was overly curious now what Himchan had meant, what was Daehyun so serious about? Why was it okay for Himchan to talk about Daehyuns family so freely (with some consideration but let's leave that out for now) but stop when it came to the differences between the young man and his parents.

The cold air hit him and Youngjae draped the coat closer over his body, slipping his belongings into the pockets and unlocking his phone.

Youngjae wasn't sure if Daehyuns parents had already left or if Daehyun was already at his flat now but he couldn't ignore the nauseating feeling in his gut. The text was quickly sent, asking if Youngjae could come over, it being quite urgent.

Youngjae never liked to be one of those people that used the word urgently all too often but he didn't feel the slightest bit guilty when knowing he could've waited until the next day or even next week. It wasn't so necessary for him to know but the way Himchan had talked made him so curious that his mind didn't seem to stop thinking about it.

Daehyuns response came not later than a few minutes, telling Youngjae he was free to come over, joking that Youngjae seemed to miss him that fast, only having seen him the last evening.

But Youngjae shrugged that off, flanking a cab and telling the driver the address of the bartender. He didn't have the time or mind to take a bus and take double the time he would take with simply taking a cab so the extra money it cost didn't really bother him right now. Forget that he was a close to broke college student.


 


 

Daehyuns apartment complex was still impressing Youngjae every time he visited the other, but knowing now that Daehyuns parents were in the business it was no wonder that Daehyun was able to afford such a flat and such a nice car. Yet he questioned why Daehyun was still working at the bar, part time, yet he probably didn't even need the money.

Impatiently Youngjae waited in front of the door after ringing the small, golden hued button to his right. The door opened soon after, baring him Daehyun clad in an actual suit holy , Youngjae had to admit that the sight was new, definitely new but nothing he couldn't get adjusted to.

A small, airy laugh dragged him out of his fantasies and Youngjae only realized he had been staring a little into space.

"Hi."

"Hey."

"So, why'd you want to come over so urgently?" Daehyun asked, letting Youngjae enter and closing the door behind the younger boy.

"Well, I'm not supposed to tell you who told me but, I sorta heard the story about your parents." Youngjae said after pushing the coat off and plating himself onto Daehyuns couch, leaving space for the older to take a seat next to him.

"So Himchan spilled the beans, huh? Was only a question of time, honestly. So what do you know?" Daehyun said, accompanied by a warm chuckle.

"Basically you're the kid of some rich, apparently arrogant people and you don't like them very much. But, like Himchan started talking super weirdly and all." Youngjae sighed, pulling his knees close to his chest so he could rest his chin on them.

"Why weird? C'mon it's Himchan, the guy's an art teacher at a primary school and still works part time at the bar."

"I don't know, he was being all secretive and stuff, it was weird." Youngjae said, looking over to Daehyun who was looking at some spot on the wall with big eyes.

"I mean, yeah. They kinda hate me, my parents I mean. But they try to spoil me with money and all to make me someone I'm just not. And then we had this huge fight which made me move here to Seoul." Daehyun said, catching the younger ones eyes.

"Why'd you fight?" Youngjae whispered, not wanting to ruin the atmosphere Daehyun had built with the statement but also wanting to know more.

 

"Oh, so Himchan didn't mention the part where my parents practically disowned me for being gay, or?"

 

Youngjae closed his parted lips, he swore his breathing had stopped as the only sound in the room was the weirdly out of tact ticking clock somewhere on one of the walls in Daehyuns huge apartment.

"I- I don't really think- Himchan would have said that." Youngjae breathed, taking in as much air as possible right now as his throat didn't seem to be able to function properly at the moment.

Youngjae knew this was okay. This was completely fine, he was even assuming Jinyoung was harboring a crush on Jaebum and he didn't mind. Of course he didn't mind because it was a simple assumption, something that probably won't ever become true soon. Yet Youngjae started to feel uncomfortable, Daehyuns suppressive eyes were looking at him so intensively and his skin started to itch. His hand came up and left red lines wandering down his arm, his eyes were locked on the floor and he didn't really know why breathing was so difficult at the moment.

I'm glad Himchan didn't just blabber that out too.“

Oh, um. Yeah, I get why you didn't want Himchan to tell me that.“ Youngjae shifted, only slightly and suddenly he wished Daehyun wouldn't notice it. „I mean, that way he would have outed you. Which would have been rude.“

I guess, Youngjae-“

Did you even want to out yourself or- did I just force you to do so?“ Youngjae asked, trying to calm his pulse as it was running miles right now.


 

Oh trust me, I did.“


 

Daehyun chuckled lightly, his shoulders were tense but the laugh lingered till it died down, leaving a terribly tense atmosphere around the two of them.


 

Uhm. Oh. Well, I just remembered, I really gotta do this thing.“ And Youngjae stood up, his phone in between his slightly shaking fingers and camera around his neck.


 

The door fell shut, the bang of it locking behind Youngjaes back so unbearably loud that Youngjae could have sworn he imagined the frustrated cry he heard.

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hi guys *waves*

I updated rather on time, yeah? Well I had this app forcing me to finish writing 3K words until it unblocked my laptop (Called Cold Turkey, i hate it but recommend it cause it works)

Thanks to my lovely friend for going through the plot with me again <3

Please leave comments, I love to read what you thought ^.^

Till next time lovelies ~