Closer

Days like this

Closer

Youngjae woke up with a terrible headache, the night had been too long and without any interesting anomalies, the student had been sitting on the ground in his living room with the books he had picked the former afternoon in the library. He had been reading until his eyes were dangerously dropping lower and lower and decided to call it a night after making sure he went through the most important topics so he wouldn't look bad in front of his project partner. The red digits on his alarm clock next to the bed which was way too big for only one person showed it was nearing two in the morning and Youngjae wearily plumped down onto the soft mattress to relish the quiet he couldn't have had for such a long time. The boys eyes drooped slowly until the only sound in the rather small bedroom were the small huffs of breath leaving his parted lips.


 

Frantically searching for the book he had last read before going to sleep, Youngjae ran back into his bedroom, throwing his covers onto the empty space in front of the bed to find said book lying somewhere between the two mattresses. At least it's closed and the pages didn't crumble, I'd hate paying for that. Without much grace the student shoved the book into his backpack that was already placed over his shoulders, ready to head out with his shoes and coat on and all. The door fell shut behind his back, keys rustled before they found their way into Youngjaes back pocket and the boy headed towards the elevator. The apartment building he lived in wasn't anything fancy, really, just one of the many high constructions in Seoul that were towering over the small 24h convenience stores. It was horribly ordinary but Youngjae knew ordinary, his entire life had been so and it was daily life as for many million of other people too. It felt normal, maybe because it just was nothing more, it was always only normal. Him living with his parents and his older brother in the average house somewhere in a suburb of Seoul where friendly grandmas were chatting over their flowerbeds with his mother when he arrived from primary school with a smile on his lips and a bounce in his step. Him bobbing his head slightly to the music coming from the mp3 player he got for his 13th birthday when coming home from secondary school and him slumping tiredly down onto his bed after a day in his last year of high school. Nothing ever had been all that exciting, his parents weren't ones for trips over to the country side or even a different country, let it be China or somewhere just as close. Youngjae didn't pick up any interesting hobbies, maybe photography would count as one but he really didn't think what he was doing was anything special. His brother although picked up his interest in cars, proudly talking about new things he probably had googled over the span of the afternoon when all of them were sitting at dinner. Their father was fully thrilled and even went to these car fairs with his oldest son, those that took place a little out of Seoul, but again nothing far away. Youngjae mostly stayed at home with his mother, sitting in his room with a book in his hand or in front of his playstation.

The things he liked most stayed the same over the years, the boy loved to take pictures of just anything or anyone and he liked to stay behind in secondary school to stand next to his music teacher and sing for a while. He enjoyed listening to the middle aged man playing the piano and his voice would follow the words on the sheets, the ones he liked the best of course. His teacher never gave him something he didn't want to sing and even went out of his way to print new music sheets for the young boy who seemed to be so lively and glowingly to sing after classes had already ended. Youngjae didn't bother when some boys from other classes called him out for it, telling him it was weird to like singing especially because he was a boy but his friends would always defend him and say they were just jealous of Youngjaes pretty voice. Sadly Youngjae didn't dare to continue going to his special music lessons when he enrolled in high school. His music teacher was nice, a young lady maybe in her mid thirties who seemed to be over enthusiastic at some times but she was very kind but Youngjae was sad they didn't really sing anymore. Music class was just another lesson where he was sitting at his desk with a pen gripped between fingers and his ears wide open for every music theory and every musicians biography. The teacher didn't even ask who liked to play an instrument or sing at the beginning of the year and Youngjae thought that music class was boring without actually making some music from time to time, even if it was only a bunch of boys and girls singing some text from a traditional Korean song. Youngjae wouldn't have minded though, some of those songs were rather enchanting and his old teacher always praised him for not nagging because the songs he chose were boring or just plainly too old but the boy didn't think so. All of those memories were stored in the back of the college students mind, not forgotten but kept only for himself. He hadn't sung in forever, years have passed since he stopped and when he moved in with Nayeon it wasn't a question.

His beloved activities left him behind most of his time in high school and he just somehow picked up a few more words than in any other class when he was sitting in his English course. Jaebum had been in the same and every course they shared turned out to be a little bit messier than the other ones, a bit more chatting and laughing here and there but when it came to English both of the young men were paying attention and smiles were adorning their lips from time to time. Their teacher never had to tell them to be quiet, not like the many others who got frustrated when the two boys just couldn't stop bursting out into laughter and trying to hold it back. And it wasn't as if Youngjae wasn't good in the other subjects, quite the opposite actually, the teachers always took a liking to him as he got good to very good grades and was a rather quiet boy - except when Jaebum was there of course.

Their other friends were a bunch of kids mixed together, Jinyoung being a very close friend to Youngjae such as Jaebum but not quite there. The boy was similar to Youngjae, quiet when necessary but just as lively and fun to be around when school ended. The slightly younger boy had soft features and a cute pouty mouth that could rant like it was the only thing it ever did. His nose was a little big but it suited his face perfectly and no one ever made fun of it, despite the place being high school, cruelty and violence wasn't anything new. The most liked detail but were the boys eyes, in his sophomore year the girls were always talking behind their backs over how sweet Jinyoung looked, perfectly small shaped eyes that were just oh so dark. Every girl from any other class who didn't know the boys heartily personality was swooning over how mysterious he was, eyes even darting away from Jaebum who was already well known for his good looks.

Youngjae didn't feel out of place, he never did. The classes were rather big and there were many of them in every year, there were some girls that would confess on having a crush on him but Youngjae wasn't interested. He kindly turned down the girls that actually came to him, not that they were many but he didn't want to hurt any of them. Guilt would crawl beneath his skin and sometimes the boy just couldn't help but rant about it to his friends but they always told him it was okay and completely normal to turn down girls he didn't like. Jinyoung did it often, more times than Youngjae to say the least and really, sometimes Youngjae didn't understand his younger friend because he got along well with the girl already and still turned them down. To his defense the youngest would always say there weren't any more feelings involved but friendship for him but the other two didn't know why a teenage boy would turn down a date with a pretty girl he's already getting along with.

When their junior year started Youngjae thought that Jinyoung was behaving the tiniest bit different. Always a little bit restrained when it was only the three of them, Youngjae would even dare to say the youngest acted shy. Now don't ask why, the way he would laugh was much more temperate and his gestures sweetly mellow. Youngjae started to catch the smallest glances Jinyoung would send Jaebum when they were having one of their lazy sleepovers, those practically only being them sitting in sweats and a baggy shirt in someones bedroom whilst eating bags of chips. But Youngjae did never miss the way Jinyoung would gaze at the oldest adoringly and when winter break ended he was sure that his friend was having a crush on his best friend.

Now Youngjae wasn't one of those people who didn't know that boys could have crushes on other boys but it was his fist encounter with anything like this. He wasn't angry at Jinyoung, he wasn't confused about how this could have happened because it probably just did, like the same thing happened to his classmates but with the girls who wear short skirts and have long hair. Youngjae never asked the younger about it, he didn't want to make him feel uncomfortable because it didn't seem as if Jinyoung was completely aware of it. The youngest never was overly flamboyant nor girly, he didn't follow any clichés that would fit to the stereotype of being gay or bi or whatever one wanted to call him or herself. Youngjae let it slide, maybe Jinyoung would get over it or maybe he would confess, the latter rather unlikely to happen in Youngjaes opinion and he stood in the right, up until now.

Jinyoung went to a different college but they still kept in touch, meeting at least every two or three weeks to get dinner together or visit a new coffee shop. Not much changed, it was rather funny for Youngjae to see his friends kept acting like they did in their senior year of high school and somehow Jinyoungs behavior was cute. Youngjae had asked his parents about it once, it was some family get together with his grandparents and aunt and uncle after new years a year back and it wasn't as if he had straight out told them he thought Jinyoung was crushing on Jaebum. He asked indirectly, maybe the slightest bit curious what his parents opinion was on the topic but his mother didn't even have the time to open before she was interrupted. "It's not normal, Youngjae. Don't you remember the times we went to church on Sunday morning, everything said there is against those people." His grandmother had said, picking at her meat that was chopped into portions. Youngjae gasped at that, his lovely grandma had never talked like this in front of him and it was rather surprising but fortunately his mother cut in before anything harmful was said or done (the look on his uncles face was utterly disgusted from those words). "We're not living in 1950 Ma, get over yourself." And with that said, they went back to eating and no word was left about Youngjaes question anymore. It may not have been answered but it was enough for the boy to know his parents were totally fine with it.


 


 

"Youngjae?"

"Huh, what?" Youngjae turned to look at Junhong, the boy sitting across the table in a small restaurant that served traditional food. Lunch time was nearly over and Youngjae would have to head back to the college building which wasn't all that far away.

"Nothing, you just sorta spaced out there." Junhong said, a small laugh following and Youngjae realized the younger was right. The day had just been so much already, literature and poetry class completely withdrawing all his power and will, the noodles being one of the only good things this tiring day. Youngjae didn't really want to go to social studies but today being the day they were being assigned with their partner from the other college, the boy couldn't skip on it.


 

The class room was fuller than usual, young students filling the study hall which was normally only half full. Youngjae knew one half of them, some less than others but they weren't strangers like the students sitting at the back half of the room. The boy sat down on the seat he's been sitting at since the year started, next to Min Yoongi, a boy he didn't know if he was able to call them friends or not but they always sat next to each other and enjoyed the others silence or the small chats they held from time to time. The only thing Youngjae knew about Yoongi was that the student was older than himself but not by a year and that he was a rather intelligent boy. They never talked about personal matters, sentences about the latest assignment or the next upcoming quiz were always thrown in between them but nothing more. Youngjae was glad about it, if he had to be honest.

"Quiet now, we don't want to waste any more time, do we." The professor said, authentic voice echoing thickly up to the back row. He wasn't yelling as his voice had always been rather strong but the gentleness was still vivid. Students were quieten down until the room was pleasantly silent and the professor continued.

"I have told all of you that you'll be assigned a workmate from our partner college for your next paper. I will read out my students names alphabetically and their affiliated students name right after."

Some people started to chatter lightly, excited with whom they'd be paired up with, the girls chatting about the possibility to be matched with some handsome guy who preferably came from the south and had a nice accent. Youngjae could practically feel the sparkles shining in Sunhwas eyes, eyes that were all too often directed towards him, Jaebum had already about the girls small crush on him a few months back but it hadn't mattered then anyway. Not that it did now. Youngjae wouldn't be paired with her and just hoped to have a reliable partner for this. The boy leaned back, watching his classmates getting into their "teams", waiting for his turn to come but the class wasn't small and his surname did start with a "Y"- luck and such.


 

"Yoo Youngjae and Lee Minhyuk." The boys head shot up, the same searching eyes were somewhere in this room until Youngjae met another boys glance. He had light eyes, not fully brown but a splinter of gold seemed to be held captive in them. The boys, Minhyuks, hair wasn't much different but more like a hazelnut color, light and seemingly (not that Youngjae noticed) soft. To be honest Youngjae thought the other was one of those jocks you'd meet in high school but Minhyuks smile was way too kind when he was walking over to where Youngjae was sitting with Yoongi. The boy wasn't sure if he should think of the better but Minhyuk was approaching him whilst the last few names of pairs were being spoken out by their professor.

"Hi, I'm Minhyuk." The taller student said, smile still gracing thin lips and Youngjae was feeling just the slightest bit uncomfortable.

"Hi, Youngjae." The boy stretched his hand out for the other to take and was greeted by a strong grip that wasn't harsh or anything but Youngjae knew when someone would definitely be able to pull of being an intimidating prick and even though his project partner was smiling sweetly right now, Youngjae would be sure to keep his guard up at least for some time.

After the professor finished reading all the names down the list he quickly noted that they were dismissed for the rest of this class and should go through the project with their partner for a start. Youngjae would have been excited if not for the not yet intimidating boy he had to work with. Seriously, Minhyuk is probably just a really nice guy but Youngjae couldn't shake the feeling off that something was off. Something he couldn't quite place his finger on yet.

"Should we maybe head for the library or did you have another place in mind?" Minhyuk asked, slinging his bag over his shoulder after waving his friends goodbye and leaning onto Youngjaes desk.

"Yeah, the library would be the best place. I already picked out the books I'd work with." Youngjae replied, getting his backpack from the floor and glancing over to Yoongi who seemingly had the same problems as he did because his partner was a smaller but muscular boy with pitch black hair who probably didn't know how to stop smiling; somehow he reminded Youngjae of Jongup.

"I also searched for some material already, good we got that settled." Minhyuk smiled and Youngjae tried to match the boys kindness but wouldn't be all too wrong that he was only pulling off a grimace.

The hours ran through Youngjaes fingers like sand, him and Minhyuk were going though a rough structure they pulled out from their textbooks and worked a bit on all the subjects they wanted to focus on, gladly having the same opinion on their given statement. The entire time it hasn't been too bad if Youngjae had to be honest, Minhyuk may seemed like one of those type of boys he would have avoided in high school but he was rather intelligent and that was mainly what the younger boy wanted to focus on. After both of them thought it was time to call it an end, Minhyuk chatted him up a bit, asking a few formalities and such and Youngjae actually thought that he might shouldn't be so absent towards the other.

They were walking out of the building after Youngjae got the notification that his literature teacher went in labor and her husband only called a few hours ago, the school not being able to organize a substitute for the course in such a short amount of time. Because of course, that's what always happened.

"Hey, can I get your number? So I can text you if anything is the matter."

"Sure, sounds reasonable." Youngjae laughed, watching as the older student took out his phone and handed it to Youngjae, a gentle tug on his lips.

"I'll just text you when I have time so we can put together our work, probably gonna be on the weeke-" The boy was cut off mid sentence by a voice Youngjae knew all too well, even if he only remembered talking to the man once.

"Youngjae!" Daehyuns honey voice called, not being as obnoxious as it should be but Youngjae felt himself shiver when there was an arm slung over his shoulder. "Didn't think to see you here."

"Yeah, it's not like I go to school here." The younger retorted, shifting over a little but the arm stayed rested on his shoulder as if Daehyun was oh so keen on looking as friendly as possible in front of Minhyuk.

"As feisty as ever I see." The older smirked, his eyes glancing over to Minhyuk and fortunately Youngjae didn't catch the vague glare Daehyun shot the student. "Won't you introduce us?" Daehyuns eyes were glistening, something mischievous playing inside of them.

"Minhyuk, Daehyun. Daehyun, my project partner Minhyuk." Youngjae stated, leaning out of the half embrace to hand Minhyuks phone over and to stand next to the taller boy. The oldest waved and shortly greeted Daehyun, looking in between him and Youngjae as if trying to figure out what exactly was going on and if he should get the out of here or not.

"Ah, project partners, I see." Daehyun snorted and it definitely didn't sit right with Youngjae.

"Yes, now might I ask you why you're here in the first place?"

"I waited for Jongup but he forgot to tell me he has to stay back today." The older replied, cocking his head a little to the side and eyeing Youngjae from his toes to the head, not even trying to restrain the obvious. It went awkwardly silent for a while, neither of the three students saying anything until Minhyuk cleared his throat and put his smile back on.

"I gotta go now Youngjae, I'll text you." And with a last wave of his hand the older student was vanishing down the street, leaving Youngjae alone with the irritating bartender.

"He'll text you, how nice." Daehyun said, voice mockingly raising just the tiniest bit due to his own one being deeper than the older ones.

"What's your problem either way?" Youngjae snorted, fastening his backpack and shifting back a little due to Daehyun strangely being so close yet again.

"You're just so nice to him and don't even let me take you out for food." Daehyun replied, the defense clearing up his voice and distinguishing it from his usual rougher tone.

"That's not even it, you want me to take you out for food. After I thanked you in a very polite way." Youngjae shot back and the annoyance was clearly recognizable now.

"You don't have to pay for me, just stay for the company. You didn't stay for breakfast." Daehyun stated and it nearly sounded as if he whined, but only nearly.

"No! That's just someone does when they want to take a girl on a date after she was drunk and a situation like this miserable one occurred."

"What, no. It's a friendly gesture." Daehyun said, frustrated by the youngers behavior because come one not even I am this thick headed.

"Friendly gesture my ." The younger spat, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"Well then watch how I'm gonna drag your cute to accompany me at lunch."

And in a matter of seconds Daehyuns hand was wrapped around Youngjaes wrist and the younger wasn't even able to tell the older he already had gotten lunch with Junhong because Daehyun was much stronger than he himself and seemed to be walking sternly towards the center of Seoul, steps steady and nothing was stopping him except a few tugs coming from Youngjae.

"Next time" came way too soon for Youngjaes liking.

They were sitting across from each other in a a rather small booth, the restaurant was one of those cozy atmosphere ones and it smelled like bulgogi and tteokguk. Daehyun was by the counter ordering their food because he said if he wasn't the one ordering Youngjae wouldn't actually eat anything and by any means, Daehyun was probably right. Because even now, Youngjae couldn't fathom why Daehyun was being so god damn pushy. Was he really that desperate to make friends with him or is the other student just one of those goodie two shoes, trying to be all nice because Youngjae really couldn't believe that. Not with the way the other acted at least. The boy was cocky, maybe a little bit arrogant and definitely a block head although the younger couldn't really dwell on it, hell he had known Daehyun for approximately half an hour. Meaning the time he had actually talked to him and wasn't drunk or asleep in the others bed. Which, by the way, still made him cringe and because Youngjae still, sort of felt guilty and embarrassed about the entire situation he had to get to know Daehyun through so he kept quiet when the other stood up to get their orders.

"I hope you're fine with bossam, I mean I don't really know anyone who doesn't like pork wrapped in cabbage." Daehyun said, sliding into the booth across from Youngjae after successfully taking their orders. A sly grin made its way to his thick lips and Youngjae looked away from the older.

"What if I'm a vegetarian?" The question laid heavily in the air, Youngjae crossing his arms in front of his chest and trying to suppress a smile that was creeping its way on his face just by looking at the shocked expression that was visible on Daehyuns otherwise undecipherable face.

", are you?" Daehyun asked, worried he just had ordered two main centered dishes and Youngjae still wouldn't be able to eat anything and he probably had to eat his dish too, he was sort of hungry, but still. 

"Nah, I just wanted to see you break out in panic." Youngjae shrugged, puffs of air leaving his lips as he laughed lightly and eased up a bit because sitting here with an attitude isn't really how he was planning on spending his afternoon. And also, Daehyun looked like a rejected kitten right now, not even a puppy because his eyes were ing huge Youngjae noticed and it just reminded him of a kitten. After actually looking at the others face for a little longer than just a second Youngjae noticed that the other boys features were all "ing huge". His kitten like eyes that sometimes looked like they were glistening but most of the time they screamed self awareness, then there was the other nose that sort of fit his face even though it wasn't on the small and pointy side. And of course the thick, plump lips that looked like pillows or something and Youngjae quickly averted his gaze somewhere else.

"You punk, I was worried I would have to eat two dishes." Daehyun groaned, rolling his eyes a little but Youngjae couldn't help but wonder why there was the smallest of smiles displaying on the others lips.

"What did you order?" Youngjae asked, trying to ignore what he saw and directing the conversation towards the other. Not that he really cared.

"Makchang gui, I didn't have breakfast because I overslept and it sort of reminds me of home." The older answered and somehow that annoying grin of his wasn't as permanent as Youngjae had thought.

"Oh, where do you come from? I mean, sure I picked up on your weird accent but I don't really know where it's from." Youngjae pried into Daehyuns words, quite surprised how easy it was to talk to him when he wasn't being a .

"I was born in Gwangju but moved to Busan and lived there basically all my life, but studying in Seoul seemed more intelligent so I came here around two years ago." The reply was stern and Youngjae thought if he had to pick the subject up another time, if  there would be another time. Maybe Daehyun didn't like talking about his hometown or about his childhood in general and the younger didn't want to push his limits.

"Sounds nicer than rotting all your life in Seoul." The student said, adding a playful frown in hopes to lighten up the weird mood that had settled between the both of them because if he had to be honest, an annoying Daehyun was better than a serious one.

"Doesn't really look like you've been rotting here, majoring in English and all."  

"What's got that to do with anything?" Youngjae laughed, looking at the older who was smiling and for once not grinning that stupid grin. "And how did you know I'm majoring in English?"

"I may or may not have asked Jongup who asked Junhong who didn't think it was wrong to tell me what you're majoring in. I'm more of the music type, though." Daehyun replied, and of course the genuine smile disappeared and the cocky tug of his lips was back.

"Creepy." Youngjae muttered but didn't really get a response because a waitress brought their food and Daehyun was digging in as if he hadn't only skipped breakfast but hadn't eaten the entire week.

There were two things Youngjae was sure of now: Daehyun really liked food, and somehow he was rather nice to talk to.

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the long wait :c

Please comment, I somehow really need those comments~

 

~

Life has been sorta ty buuuut​ I'm seeing B.A.P next Sunday meaning 7 days and I'm absolutely thrilled, plus I love Daehyuns new hair~ and they're finally in the same time zone as I am which makes me happy in  a weird way, don't question me~

 

~

Bye~ see you in the next chapter hopefully and please let me know what you think about this