E. 16

the hunt on me

 

kyungsoo wakes up in a stranger’s bed. the first thing that pops his mind, is that he has to find the toilets. he feels like puking. everything seems so blurred and the world seems to spin.

when he finds a bathroom, kyungsoo immediately dunks his head into the toilet. yet nothing comes out. “yixing!” he loudly shouts. he’s on the verge of tears. kyungsoo feels terrible, his stomach hurts. he can’t even think clearly and screams like a madman.

“yixing! junmyeon!” but no one answers. kyungsoo leaves the room, crawling. he doesn’t recognize the hallway, and is confused. “yixing?” escapes his mouth. his stomach seems to burst.

kyungsoo sighs, and crawls further, just trying to find someone. every minute that passes, the worse he feels. where is everyone, kyungsoo thinks. and with these words he passes out on the cold floor.

a masked figure appears out of nowhere, and grabs kyungsoo’s lifeless body from the floor. the stranger mumbles unknown words, making it sound like a spell.

 

aphrodite, goddess of love. look down from above, and hear my pleading.

oh immortal heart, feel his pain

with blood and fire, let the magic begin

 

the question isn’t where everyone is, but where is kyungsoo? 

 


 

bright sunbeams shine through the tiny window. i wake up in a room i’ve never seen before. i then remember what happened last evening. yixing came to pick me up at my house, and they we played drinking games with the vampires. could it be that my headache is the result of a hangover? but that doesn’t explain why i’m in this strange room.

i step to the door, which is surprisingly open. through the hall i hear sound that i follow. i notice how untidy the house is. the wallpaper is torn and a damaged lamp illuminates the hallway. i arrive in a room where kris, yixing and an unknown are. when kris notices me, he waves. “you’re finally awake,” he smiles and nods to an empty place.

the floor of the room is covered with books and jars. the unknown person smiles kindly. “welcome in my humble abode,” he welcomes me when i sit down next to yixing. “this is jongdae, an enchanter,” kris informs me.

“but what happened?” i question confused. it’s like i lost a part of my memory. “you were drunk last night, and we brought you here to sleep,” yixing speaks. before i can ask him why they didn’t let me sleep in my own bed, kris answers my thoughts. “staying with us would be too dangerous, since the vampire hunters could find us,” is his answer. i don’t understand, what do i have to do with the hunters?

“but i don’t even know the hunters,” i say, utterly confused about their explanation. a startled expression crosses their faces. “it worked?” yixing questions, looking at the enchanter. jongdae proudly smiles. “i told you he’d be like that,” he arrogantly says. what did jongdae tell him? why are they talking about me like i’m not here?

“kyungsoo, you have to listen to me,” jongdae suddenly mumbles. i nod, curious to what he will say. his hazel eyes watch me intently. although i find it creepy, i cannot look away. “do you know jongin?” he asks me, what makes me frown. what is he saying? instead of giving me answers, they are making things more complicated. “who is that?” i answer his question with one. i’ve honestly never heard of a person named jongin.

kris and yixing look at me open-mouthed, and jongdae has a proud look on his face. “we have a mission for you,” he says. jongdae seems to hypnotize me, and suddenly controls my mind. as if he wants to show me something.

 

 

i am in the vampires’ house, to be exact in the living room. but it isn’t the room i remember. the floor is drenched in blood and a lifeless body is on the carpet. i recognize junmyeon, but he’s deathly pale. next to him, there’s a person stabbing in junmyeon’s stomach. i want to scream that he has to stop, but no sound escapes from me. “don’t kill him please,” i beg crying, but the murderer only shows a mighty smirk. he cuts open the throat of junmyeon, and his hands are drenched in blood.

junmyeon isn’t his old self anymore. the wounds on his face are profusely bleeding. his throat seems a waterfall of blood, and he seems to choke on it. i can’t believe what just happened. my dearest friend was killed in front of me, and i didn’t do anything.

 

 

jongdae snaps his fingers, awaking me. i’m hyperventilating,  not knowing what to feel. is this real? “what was… that?” i ask sobbing. the tears blinded me. “junmyeon was killed by a hunter,” kris reports. i can’t believe it, this cannot be. yixing looks at me with guilt. “i can’t do this,” he whispers to kris. kris gives him an angry face.

“remember the ring i gave you?” yixing says, and i nod still sniffling. “you’re the only one who can find the hunters, without them knowing,” yixing continues as he takes my hand. “and then?” i question, even though i know his answer. kris sighs and stands up. “our revenge, kyungsoo.”

 

later

the vampires have brought me to a small apartment in the center. i’ve been wandering inside the building for hours now, with a gun in pocket. kris told me the hunters lived in number 45. the image of junmyeon being killed, stays on my mind. it is terrible, how could that happen in one night? last evening, we were drinking and having fun like always.

my anger is growing by the minute. i have to kill that hunter. i am determined, i have to murder him. i step to number 45, and knock on the door. i hide the gun behind my back.

a beautiful person opens the door, who shows an genuine smile. i have to remind myself he’s junmyeon’s killer. “hey kyungsoo, you’re already back from the vampires?” he nonchalantly asks as he keeps the door open. i don’t understand, he knows me? is he trying to distract me? i grab the gun and aim it at him.

the hunter looks shocked at me. “kyungsoo, what are you doing?” he shouts, not daring to move. i shake my head. “you don’t know me, stop it,” i answer quietly.

the hunter shakes his head. “it’s me, jongin. what did they do to you?” he babbles out, as he tries to steal my gun. i push him of me, and fire the first bullet. the hunter collapses on the ground, and his chest becomes red. out of nowhere, there’s another guy.

“kyungsoo! how could you?” he screams startled, as tears cover his cheeks. is he another hunter? he must be, so without thinking i shoot him. he falls on the ground beside his colleague. “kyungsoo,” i hear a voice call my name. i face the hunter i saw first. his face is pale, and his hand is trying to stop the wound on his chest from bleeding.

“you don’t know me!” i shout furious. i shouldn’t feel guilty about this, they were the ones who killed junmyeon. “just remember one thing,” he coughs, having a hard time breathing. “i love you,” the hunter smiles through the pain. i recognize the features of the hunter, but i can’t say who he is.

i enter the apartment, shrugging of the thoughts. i look in every cabinet and try to find something remarkable. the only interesting-looking cabinet is locked. i put myself in the couch. the groans of the suffering hunters fills the apartment.

i then suddenly hear an ambulance siren. , the apartment residents certainly alerted the emergency services. i stand up and leave the apartment. i notice a fire exit, and i start to run for my life.