E. 2

the hunt on me

 the past

it was a typical autumn day, bleak and rainy. kyungsoo entered the apartment building, with a bag of groceries in his hand. on the fifth floor, the elevator stopped. however, kyungsoo wasn’t going to his own place. his hand knocked on chanyeol’s door. “kyungsoo, come in,” chanyeol smiled, while he dried his hair with a towel.

 

the two were planning to watch a movie, as they had a day off. “i bought nachos, and your favorite cookies,” kyungsoo mentioned as he placed the snacks on the table. chanyeol’s hand immediately reached for the new yorkers. “this is heavenly,” he said with a full mouth, which made kyungsoo rebuke him for his manners. chanyeol didn’t care, he was happy he got to spend time with his best friend.

 

stars wars was playing in the background, however only chanyeol was paying attention. kyungsoo seemed distracted by his own thoughts. he didn’t care whether luke skywalker would survive or not, his thoughts were about the strange letter he received this week. kyungsoo found the note in front of his apartment, when he came out of the hospital. for weeks, he was recovering from a car accident which caused a brain hemorrhage and other injuries. the doctor said it was miraculous that he survived. “we’ll protect you,” was all that was written on the letter. and there was an ancient ring with it. 

 

kyungsoo stared at the ring on his finger, with a ruby stone placed in it. in some way he felt secure with it, but also haunted. as if someone could watch him. “he has luke!” chanyeol shouted, pointing to the screen. kyungsoo pretended to know what was going on, but chanyeol knew he wasn’t being honest. not only today, but ever since he got that accident. the kyungsoo he used to know was gone, as if he had never existed. he may be recovered from the wounds, but chanyeol assumed the trauma was still there.

 

“kyungsoo, you’ve already taken your pills?” he suddenly remembered his friend. kyungsoo smiled. “what would i be without you,” he said as he messed chanyeol’s hair. then he took his medication out of his pocket. chanyeol paused the movie to get water.

 

“kyungsoo, i have some leftovers. do you want…” chanyeol couldn’t believe his eyes when he came back to the living room, and he dropped the glass on the ground. a sweating kyungsoo was lying on the ground, his eyes wide-open. “kyungsoo!” chanyeol shouted as he shook his shoulders. kyungsoo’s eyes were staring at the ceiling, and he seemed passed out. “wake up, idiot!” he screamed, but kyungsoo made no sound. instead his eyes gave a red glow.

 

~

 

 

chanyeol has been on the phone for hours. it can’t be no one else than baekhyun, i assume from chanyeol’s chuckles. i think their relationship may be based on more than just the ual. how long will it take for him to realize he loves baekhyun?

 

i’ve been in the bathroom for a while, staring at my reflection. was chanyeol lying about my eyes? i haven’t seen anything bizarre in the mirror. it drives me insane to not know what is wrong with me. as if i lost a memory with an explanation. but eyes changing color, isn’t that something for those fictional stories. or could it be… no way, i’m mature enough to not believe in fairy tales.

 

“sorry it took so long,” chanyeol is standing in the doorway of the bathroom. his happy expression makes places for a sad one. “don’t worry about what i said, i’m sure it can be explained,” he smiles. as much as i want to believe him, i just can’t. together, we return to the living room.

 

out of sudden, chanyeol throws my coat in my hands. “let’s go outside, you need some fresh air,” he forces me to leave the apartment. chanyeol puts his arm around my shoulder. “let’s to eat delicious food,” he excitedly says. i can’t get it over my heart to resist. “just like before,” i can hear him whisper under his breath.

 

 

 

 

 

 

shivering i enter my house. although chanyeol insisted that i’d stay another night, it seemed better to stop acting like a fool. the first thing i do is inflaming the fireplace. the heat is a gift from heaven after a whole day walking in the cold. i must admit that i don’t regret going out with chanyeol. it was liberating from my old habits.

 

when i remember jongin, i become nervous. i lock all the doors and i have a bad feeling about my return. the word ‘strange’ isn’t enough to describe jongin. he was beautiful and frightening at the same time. i caress the ring on my finger. i have no clue who gave it to me, but it gives me a serene feeling. i eventually drag myself on the stairs, towards the bedroom. i’m so exhausted after our trip. we have eaten so much, i almost can’t walk. i’ve lost count on the number of dishes we’ve eaten. i quickly change into pajamas and throw myself on the bed.

 

 

that night

 

i wake up from a deep sleep. i immediately reach for my phone, to see it’s two at night. waking up this late in an ancient house isn’t exactly calming. the strange noises here have no end. even though i know it’s the floor creaking, or a branch rubbing against the window, i’m scared. i don’t even know why i remain in this house, as if something keeps me here. “goodness,” i say out loud, as i try to get myself to sleep. it’s impossible to sleep peacefully in this, which seems haunted, house.

 

it’s as if i’m hearing voices from downstairs. it’s probably an illusion. but the more i try to deny the sound, the more certain i am that i’m hearing someone. it’s not the usual cracking of the floor, it’s someone. whispers that come closer and closer. when i hear the stairs squeaking, i leave my bed. terrified, i hide in the closet. and that might be a smart decision when the door opens.