E. 13

the hunt on me

 

yesterday i visited the vampires to get my belongings. it was better if i was out of their sight. yixing guaranteed to visit me, but that made it even harder. how could he still care about me after what i did?

i leave the icy bathroom, after taking a long shower. my eyes gaze through the empty house. at least, my definition for 'empty' is now 'where the other vampires are not’. my ears follow the rhythmic ticks of the clock, counting down to a knock.

would someone come over? would jongin come over? but at the other hand, why would he? his kiss made everything awkward between us.

i pour myself a cup of blood, comforting myself it’s only animal blood. “home sweet home,” i say aloud, as i snuggle on the couch. it’s odd to be alone after living with companion. my mind was already taken back by luhan’s relationship with sehun, but jongin’s kiss made the mess even bigger. my thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the wooden door. i immediately step to the door, after i put my cup in the sink. i open the door to be overwhelmed by an angelic appearance.

"jongin?” his eyes are puffy as if he just cried and his skin is unnaturally pale. is he sick? “I want to watch a movie,” is the only thing that he says, before entering my house. i don’t want him here. i mean i do, but i’m scared that the vampires are keeping an eye on me. “what’s wrong?” i softly asks as jongin sits down on the couch. he opens the television and a childish cartoon appears. he is ignoring me, that’s for sure.

i decide to do the same, as i try to think of that day. the day that i was so naïve to trust the enemy. the day i betrayed my own people. but i suddenly find myself thinking about why jongin killed luhan. why would he kill someone sehun loved?

“what does sehun mean for you?” is my random question which makes jongin face me. jongin gives me a frowned look. “we’ve been friends since forever,” is his sincere answer. jongin then shows a smile, as if he’s recalling something. “we met in the orphanage,” he quietly mutters. i try not to show a shocking face. jongin was an orphan? “after my mom died, sehun cheered me up,” jongin tells as he plays with the pillow. “and when we finally had the right to leave the orphanage, we shared an apartment in the city,” jongin beams as he talks about his dearest memories. jongin talks about their drunk nights, which remind me of my student time with chanyeol and baekhyun.

“and then?” i curiously ask him. jongin’s smile melts of his face, and takes place for a bitter one. “luhan came,” is his short reply. “sehun met him on campus, and suddenly he announced that they were a couple,” jongin sighs, as he lowers the volume of the television.

“and how did their relationship go? did they break up?” i’m so curious, i feel like dying. “they never really ended their relationship,” is his answer which confuses me even more. but the diary said that luhan bewitched sehun in order to give him a protected life?

“you’re lying,” i growl annoyed. jongin raises his eyebrow, giving me a judging look. “and how would you know, mister know-it-all?” he kind of insults me. i’m not going to be stupid and tell him about the diary. “i’ve heard things about a spell on sehun,” i answers vaguely, but jongin genuinely seems taken back. “who told you that?” he tells me as if he just heard the news. i wave the subject away. from the corner of my eye, i suddenly notice a car stopping in front of my house. “answer me, kyungsoo,” he commands, but my eyes are on the window. jongin grits his teeth when i don’t reply. “you should leave,” i command as i notice kris getting out of the car.

jongin nods understandingly, and although he tries to remain calm. his face shows a mixture of anger and fear, when he notices kris. “i will come more often,” jongin promises, gently my cheek.

 

 

i invited kris a half hour ago, and we’ve been talking about everyday things like the weather and how the others are doing. “have you thought about what i asked?” kris reminds me of the words he said the last time i saw him. win the trust of the hunters.

“i mean, i..” i stutter, not knowing what to answer. i don’t want to agree, yet it’s my only chance to be in good graces with the vampires. kris raises his eyebrow. “you’re doubting,” he asks me, but i immediately shake my head.

“of course not, i will,” i rapidly reply, not realizing what i’ve promised. kris doesn’t seem convinced, but remains silent. “i may look like the bad person, kyungsoo,” he suddenly says, “but i’m still one of your kind.” i know he’s right, and how dumb i am when it comes to jongin. out of sudden i remember something.

“what was that that you showed me earlier?” i ask him about the flashback kris showed me through hypnosis. the mother who was killed in front of her son, what message is he trying to give me? kris shows his notorious grimace as he stands up. “you’re smart enough to discover it yourself,” he tells as i lead him to the front door. “kyungsoo, feel free to come back,” are kris’ last words before he gets in the car, driving home.

i’ve thought about what kris showed me, and i have a theory. after today i’m completely sure jongin was the one in the flashback. if it’s truly him, i absolutely understand his hatred towards vampires. moreover jongin is an orphan, that’s what he shared today.

 

there’s no doubt, kris has killed jongin’s mother and basically created the first vampire hunter.