E. 14

the hunt on me

 

it was bizarre in many ways.

out of all the problems on my mind, i only thought about jongin’s kiss. i even had to remind myself to feel guilty towards the vampires. i only looked forward to jongin’s presence, and his touches. even though i made a deal with kris, i couldn’t just turn off the feelings.

i found myself falling in love with him.

when the vampires talked about him, i truly hated him. yet it was as if he had two faces: the affectionate one who cared about me and the heartless hunter. but something in me was convinced that the tender jongin, was his true face.

perhaps the revenge blinded him, and he didn’t realize he was killing luhan?

 

 

a loud knock echoes through the house, making me jump to the door. “surprise!” jongin shows a broad smile. the fact that he’s actually here makes me worry if kris isn’t near. “what brings you here?” i curiously ask, remaining between the doorway.

jongin shrugs indifferently. “i told you i’d come more often,” he replies, making me remember the promise. he really is a man of his words, i notice. “well, come in,” i hesitantly say as i open the door, but jongin doesn’t follow.

"we always remain in this sad house,” he sighs, giving the house a dirty look. as if it has done something to him. jongin points to the rusty car in front of the house. “my place is cozier,” he charismatically smiles. and before i know it, he pushes me in the car. on the way to the enemy’s lair, how foolish can i be?

 

 

the first thing i notice is the sleek décor, and jongin obviously moved. it isn’t the house where we attacked him once. it’s a small apartment in the center. “make yourself comfortable,” jongin says, taking my coat. i place myself on the leather armchair, as i observe the interior. bare walls and cardboard boxes, the typical features of a move.

“i will make tea,” jongin speaks, stepping into a small kitchen. from the corner of my eye, i follow his movements. why is jongin so elegant? why am i attracted to someone i should detest?

out of sudden i realize i’m not the only one in the room, as someone sits down beside me. he has a drip stand beside him. “sehun?” reluctantly escapes from my mouth. he is almost unrecognizable. his cheekbones are sharper, as if he lost weight. the dark circles underneath his eyes make him look older.

“you?” sehun shows a disapproving look. well, at the end i was the one trying to murder jongin in that cave. of course he thinks badly of me. “his name is kyungsoo,” jongin sighs irritated by sehun’s presence, as he offers me a cup of tea. sehun rolls his eyes and opens the television.

an animal documentary plays in the background. “do the vampires know that you were with us in the cave?” jongin’s question is too painful to answer. i take a sip of the tea, and shake my head. i can’t tell him the truth.

“you don’t need them, kyungsoo,” jongin suddenly decides for me. his words are displeasing. “you don’t even know them,” i rudely reply. yixing and junmyeon were the ones who helped me in difficult times. sehun raises the volume of the television, and i can’t hear jongin anymore.

jongin loudly places his cup on the table. “sehun, put it quieter,” he commands. sehun shows a mocking grin. “or what?” sehun laughs, “will you kill someone?” sehun then grabs jongin by the collar and his drip stand falls on the floor. i immediately stand up to prevent a fight, but sehun throws me on the ground. i have to restrain my aggressive emotions.

“once i’m healed, the first thing i’m going to do is leaving you!” sehun says crying. jongin seems shocked, and so am i. what is going on between the two?

 

 

flashback sehun

it’s absurd. how jongin described the vampires, i always imagined them as horrible monsters. “they bear no resemblance to vampires,” i say, observing the unconscious vampires. jongin places himself on the chair, as he charges his gun.

“what about kris?” he asks with an eyebrow raised. i think about how i drugged him with the poisoned arrow. “he’s unconscious,” i reply, as i suddenly notice the photo frames on the mantelpiece.

at first glance you see ordinary friends having fun. one of the vampires looks familiar to me, but his face isn’t clear enough to recognize. “is there a problem?” jongin questions, but i wave away his question. i turn around to the front door, until i hear jongin’s cry for help. i immediately aim the gun at the vampire, until i recognize the angelic features.

my heart stands still, and for a moment the world seems to stop. the shock numbs my body, not knowing what to feel. am i hallucinating or am i really recognizing luhan? it’s him, it cannot be otherwise. the beautiful, somehow feminine, face is one of a kind. this time luhan’s eyes seem to spit fire, and in the time we were together i’ve never seen him that revengeful.

suddenly jongin starts stubbing him in the stomach, which makes luhan fall. the following moments seem to quickly pass, and the tears stream down my cheeks. this must be a dream, right? i didn’t dare to think to experience this moment, finally seeing luhan.

he was a vampire? he was a vampire and i knew nothing about this? does jongin know he’s hurting luhan?

the moment i turn my gaze on luhan, i can no longer recognize him. his face is drenched in blood, and a grinning jongin staring at him with a knife in his hand. “don’t,” i command, “put the ing knife away,” i harshly grab jongin’s wrist who gives me a confused look.

“why are you defending him?” he cries, as he roughly pushes me on the cold floor. my head bangs against the cabinet, and i feel the blood flowing out of my head.

it’s luhan! how dare you to murder him! jongin, i’m begging you.

those words can’t escape from between my lips. even though i try to stand up, i just can’t. “luhan, no!” i hear someone begging, what makes me sob harder. it really is him.

i see the hazy image of luhan with a slit throat and numerous wounds. this isn’t the luhan i want to remember.

“luhan,” i whisper under my breath. the man who gave me purpose to live, the one who showed me the meaning of true love. i want to remind the luhan who comforted me with tender kisses. the one who gave me the love i had never received. i just want to lay on his chest and listen to his reassuring words.

i know understand why he left me. he was a vampire, and jongin probably knew about it. how could jongin betray me like that? that a vampire killed his mother, is not a reason to murder luhan. it isn’t fair, he knew how much i loved luhan. the tears are blinding my sight, and it’s like i’m suffocating.

“luhan, i love you,” and with these words, i pass out.