opportunity

단풍 나무 The maple tree
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

To: Mom

Do you want to have dinner with me?

 

 

"Good job, Seokkie," Namjoon patted him on the back as soon as he's done sending the text, "You're finally talking to your mom again."

In less than a minute, Hoseok's phone rang and there was no doubt of who the caller was. They decided to have dinner at a Japanese restaurant somewhere near the hospital. Hoseok's mom offered to pick him up but he refused, saying that Namjoon will give him a lift.

"Hey, since when did I say that?" Namjoon asked in defense.

"Just give me a ride," Hoseok said and Namjoon had to agree because an injured person cannot go on his own and Hoseok getting picked up by his mom after years of not having a good contact is just too forward.

Hoseok found himself looking for a buttoned-down shirt to wear instead of his usual cotton t-shirt that is way more comfortable. He was excited and was looking forward to his first dinner with his mom after a really long time. Despite his hatred towards his mom, he realized that he has a longing feeling for her.

After Namjoon drove off, he felt a bit sweaty and nervous about seeing his mom again. The thought of her not visiting his dad's grave on his death anniversary and the image of her with other men at night prevents him from entering the place. He finds it hard to push the door. So he took a deep breath.

"Just today," he whispered to himself, "you have to put these thoughts aside."

"Mom," Hoseok called a woman on her mid-50s. She still looked younger than her age, even though the last time Hoseok took a good look at her was a really long time ago. But she seemed to have heavier eyebags and dull skin. He noticed she had more gray hair too.

"Hoseok-ah," the woman stood up from her seat and was to give her son a hug but he suddenly stepped back, he was not ready for any physical contact just yet. The woman gave him a bitter smile and retracted her arms.

"How is your leg?" She asked him as she pulled a seat beside her.

Hoseok took off his coat and sat beside her, "It's doing fine."

"I have ordered a few sushi and sashimi sets if you don't mind."

"I can eat," he answered. The air still felt uncomfortable as his mom tried to start up the conversation by asking how he was doing but Hoseok only said short words so his mom talked instead. She told him about her workplace, her newlywed colleagues and those who just gave birth. He sits quietly and wonders what kind of things his mom would answer his questions to while waiting for food to arrive.

The sashimi set was set on their table. They ate in silence.

"Hey, aren't you Jooyeon?"

Both Hoseok and his mom turned to the owner of the voice. There was a man looking at Hoseok's mom, with eyes full of wonder. He looks wealthy, with his brown coat and velvet tie, around his wrist was an expensive looking watch.

"Don't you remember me? That night, didn't you remember?"

Jooyeon, Hoseok's mom stood u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter