one last time

단풍 나무 The maple tree
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“What are you doing, Soo?” Hoseok asked as he plopped himself on his bed. Sooji was so focused reading the document that she did not realize that Hoseok was there. He ran his hand in front of her to announce his presence.

“Oh, hello, Seok-ah,” Sooji finally looked up. Sooji who usually greets people with a smile only gave Hoseok a half-hearted one this time.

“You okay?” Hoseok asked her with expressions filled with worry. Sooji nodded her head, “I’m just confused right now.”

“About what?”

“This,” Sooji said, showing him the piles of papers. Hoseok stood up and took it, reading parts of it. Even though he did not understand most of the words, he knew what it was. "I'm not sure if I should do this."

Hoseok was beyond confused. This is a really good plan for someone like Sooji, whose days are numbered. So why didn't she take it? Hoseok looked at her who looked more off than ever. This was not the Sooji Hoseok knew.

Sooji ran through the back of her head. She had her palm on her scalp for a few seconds. That was when Hoseok realized she had a small wig all this time. 

Without his realization, Hoseok placed his hand on her hair. 

"I'm sorry," Hoseok retracted his hands after Sooji stared at him for so long, "I did not know you wear that..." Hoseok pointed to her hair.

"Oh, this?" Sooji asked as she took off the fake hair. Apparently, the wig was used to cover the stitches on one part of her hair. Sooji hid it so well from people that it took Hoseok this long to realize that she had a fake hair. Now that he thought of it, he never wondered why a brain cancer patient like Sooji had her long brown hair all this time. 

"When I was young I got into an accident where my hair was caught on fire," Sooji told him while combing her own hair with her hands, "I had to shave off my hair and I got teased so much in school because of it even though I wore a wig. After it grew, I never cut it short, only t the ends from time to time."

"Then is that why you did not undergo chemo?"

"Nah, my sickness was already bad when I found out. If I went through with it, I would only get sicker because of my poor system. So I just go through surgeries every year to remove the tumor. But cancer itself grows every year."

Hoseok sat down on his bed and thought for a really long time while Sooji keeps reading the files, even talking to her mom and Jimin.

"Just go through with it," Hoseok told her before going to sleep, "I won't make fun of you."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter