not romantically

단풍 나무 The maple tree
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been two weeks since the accident and Hoseok have left his wheelchair. He’s comfortably using crutches whenever he needs to walk to see Dr. Choi, or being forced to go to the garden with Sooji and sometimes she’ll drag Younghyun along. Younghyun’s close friend, Jooheon, visited more often on those days and spent time playing computer games with him. He would also bring Younghyun some Jokbal (he brought instant ramen once but got scolded by the nurse). Sometimes the nurse had to ask him to leave because visiting times are over. But nevertheless, Younghyun were happy.

That day, Sooji asked Hoseok to go to the garden again with her after his check-up with Dr. Choi. She had a book with her, which she had been reading for a couple of days. Hoseok noticed it was a romance fiction, judging by the illustration on the cover page.

Hoseok does not read books as much as other people. He finds it ridiculous for people to read about love. It just does not make sense how people could get a sense of love just by reading someone else’s stories or experiences. They should experience it themselves, he told himself.

As they sat in their usual place below the maple tree, Sooji got immediately immersed with her book, while Hoseok was just sitting there, watching the falling leaves as the weather gets colder day by day. Hoseok had this urge to ask Sooji why she read that book. He was hesitant but curiosity killed the cat anyway.

“For fun,” Sooji answered without leaving her eyes from the book.

“Not because you want to know what love is like?” Hoseok asked again. He cursed himself inside his head, stop asking you fool.

“I don’t need that. I know what it is like,” Sooji defended. Hoseok didn’t want to talk anymore. He didn’t want to give Sooji the impression that he wants to know exactly why. But Sooji is an open person.

“I had a boyfriend once, so I know what it is like,” Sooji said as she closed her book and leant on the tree trunk, trying to remember those memories that she had with the guy.

“He was nice,” Sooji smiled, “Myungsoo was different than other guys in school. He was caring and kind. But we didn’t last long.”

Sooji sighed, “I was 12 and he was 13 back then. He moved to Stockholm and we knew that it will never work between us. We lost contact ever since.” She suddenly chuckled, “We were so young and I can’t even remember how he looks like back then. But I guess I knew what love is like. Because whenever I was with him, I had butterflies.”

Then she looked at Hoseok, “You?”

“I don’t date. I have no time for that.”

 

 

Namjoon and Yoongi visited Hoseok again, this time bringing him Mrs. Kim’s fish soup. Not forgetting that winter is drawing close, Yoongi brought him his sweaters and coats. He handed him a bag of fruits.

“This is from Mr. Yoo. He said he wants to see his tena

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter